LSJ: Quick questions

Jaysen Knight

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
Toreador A (Methuselah #1) starts an action.

Methuselah #2 has a minion attempt to block.

Methuselah #1 then has Toreador B assume the action of Toreador A using
Mask of 1000 Faces. Toreador B has been granted Aching Beauty.

Q1: Is Methuselah #2 still technically 'blocking' the new Toreador and
thus lose a pool to the Aching Beauty? Or could the minion of Meth #2
elect not to block the action at this point.

I am pretty sure the pool is still lost but I would still like to hear
exactly why it works that way.

Q2: Different subject: What damage counts towards playing a Disarm or a
Pulled Fangs during combat? Retainers, Carrion Crows, Drawing out the
Beast? Or is it simply my minion strike versus yours?

Quick note:

Been thinkin' I have. When 7/7 first came out I was very dubious about
the 'D' action on bleed action cards being Prey only (except for a few
cards).

I have officially changed my position to being in favor of this (not
that anyone cares of course :). The problem, as I see it, is that
there should be cards that give balance to the cross table bleed.

i.e. The ability an action card gives a minion to cross-table bleed
should be factored into the cost and power of the card. Kindred
Spirits is an excellent example of this balance - while giving a GtU
card the extra benefit of cross-table bleed (in addition to its already
great characteristics) is unbalancing and unnecessary.

Anyways - I believe in admitting when I am wrong, so here is my public
endorsement of the official treatment on this ambiguity that existed
prior to 7/7. (That is not to say that I will ever agree with the 7/7
changes to the Tomb III or RtI (I won't)).

LSJ

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
jay...@compusmart.ab.ca wrote:
> Toreador A (Methuselah #1) starts an action.
>
> Methuselah #2 has a minion attempt to block.
>
> Methuselah #1 then has Toreador B assume the action of Toreador A using
> Mask of 1000 Faces. Toreador B has been granted Aching Beauty.
>
> Q1: Is Methuselah #2 still technically 'blocking' the new Toreador and
> thus lose a pool to the Aching Beauty? Or could the minion of Meth #2
> elect not to block the action at this point.
> I am pretty sure the pool is still lost but I would still like to hear
> exactly why it works that way.

Her minion is still attempting to block.
She loses a pool for that attempt.

> Q2: Different subject: What damage counts towards playing a Disarm or a
> Pulled Fangs during combat? Retainers, Carrion Crows, Drawing out the
> Beast? Or is it simply my minion strike versus yours?

Damage inflicted by the minion. Which includes damage inflicted on the
opposing minion by the minion's strike, and any other damage which
card text specified is inflicted by the minion (e.g., Twisting the
Knife). Damage from Retainers, Carrion Crows or Drawing Out the Beast
doesn't count.

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com) VTES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.
Links to revised rulebook, rulings, errata, and DCI (tournament) rules: