Curse of Nitocris [LSJ]

James Coupe

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

I was wondering if you could shed some light on the wording of Curse of
Nitocris.

Card Title: Curse of Nitocris
Pool: n/a
Clan/Discip.: n/a
Card Type: Master
Card Text: Unique Master
Choose a Methuselah to take control of this card. The
controller of this card burns 1 pool during each of his
or her untap phases. Each time a Methuselah gets the
Edge, the current controller of this card chooses the
next controller.
Artist: L. A. Williams
Rarity: Rare

The card says "Each time a Methuselah gets the Edge".

The rule-book and LSJ's rules posting says:

1. (D) Bleed Prey Methuselah (NO card). (6.4) [12.3.1 p21]
a. Your Prey burns one pool. Bleed Modifiers adjust this amount.
b. You get the Edge if you bleed for one or more pool.

So, do I "Get the Edge" every time I bleed. This would seem to be the
case from this rule, meaning every time anyone successfully bleeds, the
Curse gets shifted.

HOWEVER, the recent reversal of Disputed Territory-Locquipment
referenced to a ruling on Regaining the Upper Hand where being given the
Edge when you already have it does nothing - you do not qualify as
"Getting the Edge" for purposes of cards like this, Form of Corruption
and so on.

So which way should it be played?
--

James Coupe (remove .nospam to reply by e-mail)

If you find you are falling into madness - dive

LSJ

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97
to vte...@oracle.wizards.com

James Coupe <ja...@obeah.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:

> I was wondering if you could shed some light on the wording of Curse of
> Nitocris.
>
> The card says "Each time a Methuselah gets the Edge".
>
> The rule-book and LSJ's rules posting says:
>
> 1. (D) Bleed Prey Methuselah (NO card). (6.4) [12.3.1 p21]
> a. Your Prey burns one pool. Bleed Modifiers adjust this amount.
> b. You get the Edge if you bleed for one or more pool.
>
> So, do I "Get the Edge" every time I bleed. This would seem to be the
> case from this rule, meaning every time anyone successfully bleeds, the
> Curse gets shifted.
>
> HOWEVER, the recent reversal of Disputed Territory-Locquipment
> referenced to a ruling on Regaining the Upper Hand where being given the
> Edge when you already have it does nothing - you do not qualify as
> "Getting the Edge" for purposes of cards like this, Form of Corruption
> and so on.
>
> So which way should it be played?

Those rewriters <grumble>. Jyhad text:
"Each time a new Methuselah takes control of the Edge"

So in Jyhad, it clearly only counted getting the Edge when you didn't
already have the Edge.

Which is the way it should be still.

I'll amend the outline to reflect this.

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com)
Official VtES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.