The Coven and Steal Blood effects

1 view

Chris Berger

Jan 14, 2009, 9:48:57 AM1/14/09

Tried to do a search for this, but found nothing. Maybe I'm missing
it...

Steal Blood effects are resolved separately from damage, so if I am
taking 1 damage from a retainer and getting 2 blood stolen from, say,
Theft of Vitae, can I tap The Coven *after* handling the Theft of
Vitae and before taking the retainer damage? It came up in JOL today,
because I had a vampire with 1 blood, and Anastasz had a Murder of
Crows and a Theft of Vitae, and I wanted him to only be able to steal
one. Since I couldn't find the ruling, I agreed that I couldn't do
that - my vampire had 1 point of prevention anyway that I'd forgotten,
so I just let him Theft and prevented the 1 damage, then used the
Coven later.

LSJ

Jan 14, 2009, 10:42:45 AM1/14/09
Chris Berger wrote:
> Tried to do a search for this, but found nothing. Maybe I'm missing
> it...
>
> Steal Blood effects are resolved separately from damage,

Well, they're applied together (not separately), but they're applied before
damage is healed, yeah.

> so if I am
> taking 1 damage from a retainer and getting 2 blood stolen from, say,
> Theft of Vitae, can I tap The Coven *after* handling the Theft of
> Vitae and before taking the retainer damage?

Yes.

Strikes:
A: shoot with .44 Magnum for 2 damage (for illustration purposes below).
B: steal 2 blood from A.
And B's retainer does 1 damage to A.

Before resolving:
A: Dragon's Breath Rounds to add 2 aggravated to the gun's strike.

Strike resolution:

1) Apply Effects:
A: receives 1 damage from the retainer and moves 2 blood to B.
B: receives 2 damage plus 2 aggravated damage from A's hand strike.
(the two lines above occur simultaneously).

2) Prevent Damage
A and/or B may use damage prevention effects to prevent the damage they
received. Unprevented damage is "successfully inflicted".
A: no prevent
B: no prevent

3) Handle Unprevented Damage:
A: burns 1 blood to heal damage.
B: burns 2 blood to heal regular damage, becomes wounded from 1 agg, and burns 1
blood to prevent destruction from the 2nd agg.
(the two lines above occur simultaneously).

While B could not interrupt 3) to stuff more blood onto B after healing the two
regular and before handling the agg, you can tap the Coven after damage is
applied and before preventing/handling the damage.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/3cc686fc638b5ad1
shows this for Weather Control rather than for strike resolution, but the
principle is the same (using Coven after damage is applied and before handling
the damage).

Coven can be used:
* before 1
* between 1 and 2
* between 2 and 3
* after 3
or even
* in the middle of 2

> It came up in JOL today,
> because I had a vampire with 1 blood, and Anastasz had a Murder of
> Crows and a Theft of Vitae, and I wanted him to only be able to steal
> one. Since I couldn't find the ruling, I agreed that I couldn't do
> that - my vampire had 1 point of prevention anyway that I'd forgotten,
> so I just let him Theft and prevented the 1 damage, then used the
> Coven later.

You could have let the 1 be stolen and then tapped the Coven and gained 2 blood
and then used 1 blood to heal the Crows' damage, leaving you at 1 blood, sure.

LSJ

Jan 14, 2009, 10:47:22 AM1/14/09
LSJ wrote:
> Before resolving:
> A: Dragon's Breath Rounds to add 2 aggravated to the gun's strike.
>
> Strike resolution:
>
> 1) Apply Effects:
> A: receives 1 damage from the retainer and moves 2 blood to B.
> B: receives 2 damage plus 2 aggravated damage from A's hand strike.

"A's gun strike", that is.