(LSJ) Mask of a Thousand Faces & Into Thin Air

floppyzedolfin

Mar 19, 2009, 5:49:50 AM3/19/09
Hello

Here's a wee rule question :

Vampire A is acting. B attempts to block, A plays Into Thin Air. A
does not use the "burn 1 blood to give a younger vampire or an ally -1
intercept" from Into Thin Air.
Then C plays Mask of a Thousand Faces. C plays Into Thin Air.
Can C "burn 1 blood to give a younger vampire or an ally -1 intercept"
twice ? (that would be once for the Into Thin Air A played, and once
for the Into Thin Air C played)

The closest I could find on the Newsgroup was this one : http://tinyurl.com/depgnv
, mentioning the "this vampire may burn 1 blood to [do magic]" part
is carried over to the masker.

Extra bonus question :
Vampire A is acting. B attempts to block, A plays Into Thin Air. A
uses the "burn 1 blood to [do magic]" part. Then, C, older than A,
plays Mask of 1k Faces.
Can C "burn 1 blood to [do magic]", from the Into Thin Air A played
previously ?

(I'm pretty sure he can't, but that's not a 100% certainty.)

--

Cardtexts:

Into Thin Air
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Discipline: Obfuscate
Do not replace until your untap phase.
[obf] +1 stealth. Once this action, this vampire may burn 1 blood to
give an ally or younger vampire -1 intercept. Into Thin Air and Lost
in Crowds cannot both be played on the same action.
[OBF] As above, but for +2 stealth.

Mask of a Thousand Faces
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Discipline: Obfuscate
[obf] Only usable by a ready, untapped vampire other than the acting
minion who is capable of performing the action. Not usable if any
action modifiers or other effects have been used that could not have
been used if this vampire were the acting vampire. Untap the acting
minion and tap this vampire instead. The action continues with this
vampire as the acting minion.
[OBF] As above, with +1 stealth.

LSJ

Mar 19, 2009, 8:24:36 AM3/19/09
On Mar 19, 5:49 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vampire A is acting. B attempts to block, A plays Into Thin Air. A
> does not use the "burn 1 blood to give a younger vampire or an ally -1
> intercept" from Into Thin Air.
> Then C plays Mask of a Thousand Faces. C plays Into Thin Air.
> Can C "burn 1 blood to give a younger vampire or an ally -1 intercept"
> twice ? (that would be once for the Into Thin Air A played, and once
> for the Into Thin Air C played)

Yes.

> The closest I could find on the Newsgroup was this one :http://tinyurl.com/depgnv
> , mentioning the "this  vampire may burn 1 blood to [do magic]" part
> is carried over to the masker.

tinyurl isn't responding at the moment, but I did find this:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/ceb45959f362425e
which says the same.

> Extra bonus question :
> Vampire A is acting. B attempts to block, A plays Into Thin Air. A
> uses the "burn 1 blood to [do magic]" part. Then, C, older than A,
> plays Mask of 1k Faces.
> Can C "burn 1 blood to [do magic]", from the Into Thin Air A played
> previously ?
>
> (I'm pretty sure he can't, but that's not a 100% certainty.)

How is that?
It seems 100% certain, no matter which windmills you tilt.
He also cannot apply the +stealth from the Into Thin Air a second
time, either.

floppyzedolfin

Mar 19, 2009, 8:55:19 AM3/19/09
On 19 mar, 13:24, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 5:49 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Extra bonus question :
> > Vampire A is acting. B attempts to block, A plays Into Thin Air. A
> > uses the "burn 1 blood to [do magic]" part. Then, C, older than A,
> > plays Mask of 1k Faces.
> > Can C "burn 1 blood to [do magic]", from the Into Thin Air A played
> > previously ?
>
> > (I'm pretty sure he can't, but that's not a 100% certainty.)
>
> How is that?
> It seems 100% certain, no matter which windmills you tilt.
> He also cannot apply the +stealth from the Into Thin Air a second
> time, either.

Hm. Here I stand, facing illusionnary windmills. Don Quijote, they
say.
A bit more seriously :
Here's how I'd twist the text : (this is only about the meaning of
"this", actually ...)

A plays Into Thin Air.

ITA checks if A has used the burn blood option - he hasn't yet, so he
can use it.
A chooses to use it.
ITA checks if A has used the burn blood option - he has used it once,
so he can't use it.

This first part should be correct.

C plays Mask of a Thousand Faces.

Now, C is "this vampire", regarding ITA (per the linked topic - my
tinyurl pointed on that False Resonance topic)
ITA checks if C has used the burn blood option - and I do think that
he hasn't. That makes me think that he can use the burn blood option,
from the ITA.

That's how I get 1% of uncertainty.

I. M. Bur

Mar 20, 2009, 2:49:03 PM3/20/09
> A plays Into Thin Air.
> ITA checks if A has used the burn blood option - he hasn't yet, so he
> can use it.
> A chooses to use it.
> ITA checks if A has used the burn blood option - he has used it once,
> so he can't use it.
>
> This first part should be correct.

So I assume as well.

> C plays Mask of a Thousand Faces.
> Now, C is "this vampire", regarding ITA (per the linked topic - my
> tinyurl pointed on that False Resonance topic)
> ITA checks if C has used the burn blood option - and I do think that
> he hasn't. That makes me think that he can use the burn blood option,
> from the ITA.

I think that C hasn't played the card, so C can't use an effect provided
by it.

However, it might be possible to do the following:

A bleeds, B attempts to block.
A plays Into Thin Air inferior (+1 stealth and able to burn a blood for
-1 intercept).
B plays Enhanced Senses superior (+2 intercept).
C (conntrolled by same Meth as A) now plays Mask1k superior (+2 stealth
total). Block is still succeeding.
A burns blood for ITA effect, reducing intercept of B by -1.
Bleed is now succeeding.

LSJ, is this possible and correct?

--
-bur