More Questions for LSJ or anyone who wants to answer

daves...@hotmail.com

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

On the heels of our groups' questions post, here's some more:

Is it true that if Donal O'Connor has an Archon and a Camm. Exemplary on him
a vampire burns 3 blood to block him?

Is the superior drawing out the beast damage cumulative?

How does MAsk of 1000 work with titles? Can a protect thine own be masked
over to Ozmo, for example, and if the vote passes does the effect of Protect
happen?

Zip gun is a combat card that is also a weapon. Horrid reality searches
through your library for a weapon. If you come across zip gun, does that
count as a weapon?

Is mark of Damnation cumulative? Would an opposing vampire get 2 optional
presses to continue if a vampire had 2 Marks on it?

In your latest Rulings it says that for Mummify, the vampire cannot rescue
itself form torpor. I assume that is for the inferior. Or is it for both?

Talaq's text states that he may play cards requiring Quietus and Thamaturgy
as a vampire with cap. of 3. Does he count then as a vampire under Tremere
Convocation? Can he play Th. cards as if superior?

Thanks for all the help,
Dave Stevers

Lupus Australis

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998 daves...@hotmail.com wrote:

> On the heels of our groups' questions post, here's some more:
>
> Is it true that if Donal O'Connor has an Archon and a Camm. Exemplary on him
> a vampire burns 3 blood to block him?

Yup. Not only that, but he can gain the cumulative benefit of multiple
Camarilla Exemplaries, and multiple Archons.

> Is the superior drawing out the beast damage cumulative?

Yus.

> How does Mask of 1000 work with titles? Can a protect thine own be masked

> over to Ozmo, for example, and if the vote passes does the effect of Protect
> happen?

Yes, I believe so. (Am assuming that "called by any Justicar or IC
member" is interpreted as meaning "requires Justicar or IC member.
"Requirements" only apply to the playing of the card, and are no longer
considered once the card has been played. An example might be equipment
like "Femur of Toomler". Only Tzimisce can "play" the weapon card, but
any minion can use the weapon once in play. The same logic applies even
to action cards. Other minions are not forbidden from using--or taking--
the action, but merely from playing the card. Once it is in play, anyone
can take over the action by means of a Mask1KF. If however, the card text
of "Protect thine Own" were interpreted as meaning "only Justicars or IC
members may call this vote" or "take this action", then I imagine this
would result in a different ruling.)

> Zip gun is a combat card that is also a weapon. Horrid reality searches
> through your library for a weapon. If you come across zip gun, does that
> count as a weapon?

Yes, since card text clearly indicates it *is* a weapon. However, if a
similar effect were to ask you to search your library for "equipment",
then Zip Gun would be bypassed. Zip Gun is not considered to be equipment
until after it has been played.

> Is mark of Damnation cumulative? Would an opposing vampire get 2 optional
> presses to continue if a vampire had 2 Marks on it?

Yes. Almost all card effects in V:tES are cumulative, unless card text or
a ruling indicates otherwise.

> In your latest Rulings it says that for Mummify, the vampire cannot rescue
> itself form torpor. I assume that is for the inferior. Or is it for both?

I believe this ruling only is intended as a correction to the wording of
the inferior version, and is not intended to contradict superior text.
"Rescue a vampire from torpor" and "Leave Torpor" are considered two
different actions. Vampires cannot normally "Rescue themselves [or anyone
else] from torpor" because, by virtue of being in torpor, "leave torpor"
is the only action allowed them. Thus the inferior restriction, if the
wording is taken literally, is no restriction at all, since what it
forbids is impossible anyway. The errata merely states that "leave
torpor" is what was actually meant.

> Talaq's text states that he may play cards requiring Quietus and
> Thamaturgy as a vampire with cap. of 3. Does he count then as a vampire
> under Tremere Convocation? Can he play Th. cards as if superior?

Gosh, I'm not sure. I would assume so since you have to treat him as
though he were a vampire with a capacity of 3 while he is playing the
card, and that is when Tremere Convocation applies.

Lupus Australis
____ ____
\ \----/ /
|()__()|
__\ __ /__
/ __\()/__ \
|/ \==/ \|
| || |

LSJ

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Lupus Australis wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Mar 1998 daves...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > On the heels of our groups' questions post, here's some more:
> >
> > Is it true that if Donal O'Connor has an Archon and a Camm. Exemplary on him
> > a vampire burns 3 blood to block him?
>
> Yup. Not only that, but he can gain the cumulative benefit of multiple
> Camarilla Exemplaries, and multiple Archons.

More precisely, the vampire burns 2 blood to attempt to block (1 for
Archon, 1 for CamExemp), and then burns another blood if the block
is successful (for Donal's special).

> > Is the superior drawing out the beast damage cumulative?
>
> Yus.

Correct.

> > How does Mask of 1000 work with titles? Can a protect thine own be masked
> > over to Ozmo, for example, and if the vote passes does the effect of Protect
> > happen?
>
> Yes, I believe so. (Am assuming that "called by any Justicar or IC
> member" is interpreted as meaning "requires Justicar or IC member.
> "Requirements" only apply to the playing of the card, and are no longer

> considered once the card has been played. [...]).

Correct. Note that you must choose a vampire of capacity below six if
the Masking vampire is not an IC member, even if the original acting
vampire was IC.

> > Zip gun is a combat card that is also a weapon. Horrid reality searches
> > through your library for a weapon. If you come across zip gun, does that
> > count as a weapon?
>
> Yes, since card text clearly indicates it *is* a weapon. However, if a
> similar effect were to ask you to search your library for "equipment",
> then Zip Gun would be bypassed. Zip Gun is not considered to be equipment
> until after it has been played.

Zip Gun is just a combat card until played. (*)
It will not be pulled by Horrid Reality (or Vast Wealth, etc.)

> > Is mark of Damnation cumulative? Would an opposing vampire get 2 optional
> > presses to continue if a vampire had 2 Marks on it?
>
> Yes. Almost all card effects in V:tES are cumulative, unless card text or
> a ruling indicates otherwise.

Correct. Except that "rulings" aren't sufficient - non-cumulative either
follows from card text or requires errata.

> > In your latest Rulings it says that for Mummify, the vampire cannot rescue
> > itself form torpor. I assume that is for the inferior. Or is it for both?
>
> I believe this ruling only is intended as a correction to the wording of
> the inferior version, and is not intended to contradict superior text.
> "Rescue a vampire from torpor" and "Leave Torpor" are considered two
> different actions. Vampires cannot normally "Rescue themselves [or anyone
> else] from torpor" because, by virtue of being in torpor, "leave torpor"
> is the only action allowed them. Thus the inferior restriction, if the
> wording is taken literally, is no restriction at all, since what it
> forbids is impossible anyway. The errata merely states that "leave
> torpor" is what was actually meant.

Correct. I'll clarify the errata listing.

> > Talaq's text states that he may play cards requiring Quietus and
> > Thamaturgy as a vampire with cap. of 3. Does he count then as a vampire
> > under Tremere Convocation? Can he play Th. cards as if superior?
>
> Gosh, I'm not sure. I would assume so since you have to treat him as
> though he were a vampire with a capacity of 3 while he is playing the
> card, and that is when Tremere Convocation applies.

No.

Talaq plays Thau. cards as if a vampire of capacity 3. But he doesn't
have Thau. - he can just play the cards. Same thing for Ian Forestal -
he can play Quietus cards even though he doesn't have Quietus.

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com)
Official VtES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.