[LSJ] Petanique vs. Cry Wolf

Izaak

Apr 12, 2010, 1:36:29 PM4/12/10
If Petanique Advanced (or merged) attempts to recruit a Cry Wolf and the
action is blocked, does she go to torpor?

I'm guessing not since she's not actually an Anarch and Cry Wolf says "the
acting Anarch"

Cry Wolf
Unique werewolf with 3 life. 2 strength, 0 bleed. Requires a ready anarch.
If the action to recruit this ally is blocked, *the acting anarch* goes to
torpor. This werewolf must enter combat with any minion controlled by
another Methuselah as a (D) action. He gets one optional press each combat.
This werewolf does not untap as normal during your untap phase. If he is
tapped during your untap phase, burn him.

LSJ

Apr 12, 2010, 1:45:50 PM4/12/10
On Apr 12, 1:36 pm, "Izaak" <nom...@usenet.plz> wrote:
> If Petanique Advanced (or merged) attempts to recruit a Cry Wolf and the
> action is blocked, does she go to torpor?

Yes. The card she plays as if she is an anarch is played as if she is
an anarch.

Otherwise, should wouldn't be able to meet the requirements of Cry
Wolf ("Requires a ready anarch.")

Izaak

Apr 13, 2010, 10:23:30 AM4/13/10

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> schreef in bericht

On Apr 12, 1:36 pm, "Izaak" <nom...@usenet.plz> wrote:
>> If Petanique Advanced (or merged) attempts to recruit a Cry Wolf and the
>> action is blocked, does she go to torpor?

>Yes. The card she plays as if she is an anarch is played as if she is
>an anarch.

>Otherwise, should wouldn't be able to meet the requirements of Cry
>Wolf ("Requires a ready anarch.")

Ok, thanks. But then as a follow-up;

Now Petaniqua advanced attempts to recruit a Harzomatuili.

Harzomatuili
Requires a ready cardinal. Unique werewolf with 4 life. 2 strength, 0 bleed.
Harzomatuili gets one optional maneuver each combat. Damage from his hand
strikes is aggravated. Once during each (D) action, he can burn 1 life to
get +1 intercept. If Harzomatuili has fewer than 4 life during your untap
phase, he gains 1 life from the blood bank.

She is blocked and during the resulting combat plays Amaranth on the
opposing vampire. Does she have 3 votes in the bloodhunt (seeing as the
combat, diablerie and the bloodhunt are all part of the action)?

I'd imagine no, but why not?

Teeka

Apr 13, 2010, 10:49:46 AM4/13/10
On 13 apr, 16:23, "Izaak" <nom...@usenet.plz> wrote:
> "LSJ" <vtes...@white-wolf.com> schreef in berichtnews:e67291c2-e29c-4f7a...@u22g2000yqf.googlegroups.com...

Hmm, good one.

I was gonna say no, because of Petaniqua's text "...as if she meets
the requirements of playing that card".
Like, she pretends to meet any requirements, but she doesn't pretend
to *be* that requirement. As opposed to, say, Gem Ghastly or Mata Hari
which state "...as if she *were* <requirement>".

But then, LSJ's answer to your earlier question seems to imply that if
a vampire pretends to meet a requirement, it counts as actually being
that requirement for the duration of the action, just like Gem and
Mata...

Meej

Apr 13, 2010, 10:56:49 AM4/13/10
On Apr 13, 10:23 am, "Izaak" <nom...@usenet.plz> wrote:
> "LSJ" <vtes...@white-wolf.com> schreef in berichtnews:e67291c2-e29c-4f7a...@u22g2000yqf.googlegroups.com...

> On Apr 12, 1:36 pm, "Izaak" <nom...@usenet.plz> wrote:
>
> >> If Petanique Advanced (or merged) attempts to recruit a Cry Wolf and the
> >> action is blocked, does she go to torpor?
> >Yes. The card she plays as if she is an anarch is played as if she is
> >an anarch.
> >Otherwise, should wouldn't be able to meet the requirements of Cry
> >Wolf ("Requires a ready anarch.")
>
> Ok, thanks. But then as a follow-up;
>
> Now Petaniqua advanced attempts to recruit a Harzomatuili.
> She is blocked and during the resulting combat plays Amaranth on the
> opposing vampire. Does she have 3 votes in the bloodhunt (seeing as the
> combat, diablerie and the bloodhunt are all part of the action)?
>
> I'd imagine no, but why not?

No. Only the card in question (Harzomatuili, Cry Wolf, whatever) sees
Petaniqua/Mata Hari/whatever as a cardinal/anarch/whatever for the
duration of the action and all requisite effects.

- D.J.

Meej

Apr 13, 2010, 10:57:54 AM4/13/10
On Apr 13, 10:49 am, Teeka <teeka_dra...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> But then, LSJ's answer to your earlier question seems to imply that if
> a vampire pretends to meet a requirement, it counts as actually being
> that requirement for the duration of the action, just like Gem and
> Mata...

It's only the card in question (but it's the entirety of the card in
question) that sees Mata/Gem/Petaniqua/etc as meeting the
requirements.

- D.J.

LSJ

Apr 13, 2010, 11:12:27 AM4/13/10

Correct. Petaniqua doesn't become an anarch for the duration of the
Cry Wolf action (or "while the Cry Wolf is in play").
She plays it as an anarch. So it sees her as an anarch for its play.

Similarly, Harzomatuili sees her as a Cardinal for the play
Harzomatuili. The blood hunt doesn't see her as a cardinal.

Teeka

Apr 13, 2010, 11:21:54 AM4/13/10

I get what you mean, and I already thought that was the case.
But (and I should've been more clear about that) I got confused by
Peta's text "..recruit a werewolf ally..." that (to me) indicated that
the ability affected the entire recruit action, not just the card
played during that action (if any).

...As opposed to "playing a recruit ally action card that recruits a
werewolf" (or whatever better formulation of that).

Gem and Mata say "play cards". Peta says "recruit an ally" which could
be done through an effect in play instead of actually playing a card
(though no such possibility currently exists)...right?

Just a case of a semantic misunderstanding meeting a confusion-prone
brain, I guess. :-)

Petaniqua Advanced
Clan: Baali (group 4)
Capacity: 9
Disciplines: AUS DAI DEM OBF THA chi
Advanced, Independent. Red List: Once each combat, Petaniqua may burn
a blood to gain a press. Petaniqua may recruit a werewolf ally as if
she meets the requirements of playing that card. +1 strength.
Infernal.
Rarity: KMW:U/PB

Gem Ghastly
Clan: Malkavian (group 5)
Capacity: 6
Disciplines: DEM OBF aus
Camarilla primogen: You and Gem may play cards that require Ventrue as
if Gem were a Ventrue.
Rarity: KoT:V

LSJ

Apr 13, 2010, 11:32:42 AM4/13/10
On Apr 13, 11:21 am, Teeka <teeka_dra...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Gem and Mata say "play cards". Peta says "recruit an ally" which could
> be done through an effect in play instead of actually playing a card
> (though no such possibility currently exists)...right?

The Summoning.
Piper.

So, assuming she becomes anarch for real (to be able to use Piper),
she could Piper Harzomatuili.