Corruption mechanics (the "cost" bit)

Petri Wessman

Apr 13, 2010, 4:46:34 AM4/13/10
Just to make sure I understand how corruption counters work vs various
minions:

- vampires are straightforward: they look at blood capacity (as per
card text)

- allies with pool cost use that as "cost of that ally", also
straightforward

- allies with blood cost use the blood cost as the "cost of that
ally" (I think?)

- Imbued... I seem to recall that there was a ruling that their
influence cost was treated as the "cost of that ally" in this case,
but not 100% sure

- allies with "X" cost (Reanimated Corpse, for example)... this one
I'm not sure about. Is the cost zero, or the amount of blood/pool
actually paid for that specific instance of the ally?

Corruption
+1 stealth action.
(D) Put a corruption counter on a minion controlled by your prey. If
the number of your corruption counters on the minion equals or exceeds
the blood capacity of that vampire or the cost of that ally, you may
burn all of your corruption counters on that minion to gain control of
him or her.

-Petri

LSJ

Apr 13, 2010, 6:54:52 AM4/13/10
On Apr 13, 4:46 am, Petri Wessman <or...@orava.org> wrote:
> Just to make sure I understand how corruption counters work vs various
> minions:

Nit: Corruption counters don't work on their own. Many cards' effects
will count them for their own purposes, however.
Considering the card "Corruption" for these questions:

> - vampires are straightforward: they look at blood capacity (as per
> card text)
>
> - allies with pool cost use that as "cost of that ally", also
> straightforward
>
> - allies with blood cost use the blood cost as the "cost of that
> ally" (I think?)

Yeah: "the cost of that ally"
It is equally straightforward are allies with pool cost, since the
card text restricts the cost to neither pool nor blood.

> - Imbued... I seem to recall that there was a ruling that their
> influence cost was treated as the "cost of that ally" in this case,
> but not 100% sure

No ruling needed.
"Their cost is also their starting life, and it is specified on each
card individually (like capacity)" [NoR.1]

> - allies with "X" cost (Reanimated Corpse, for example)... this one
> I'm not sure about. Is the cost zero, or the amount of blood/pool
> actually paid for that specific instance of the ally?

The cost is X: X is whatever X was set to when the card was played.

Petri Wessman

Apr 13, 2010, 8:51:41 AM4/13/10
On Apr 13, 1:54 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 4:46 am, Petri Wessman <or...@orava.org> wrote:
> Nit: Corruption counters don't work on their own. Many cards' effects
> will count them for their own purposes, however.
> Considering the card "Corruption" for these questions:

Yeah, should have been more specific there :)

> (about Imbued)

> No ruling needed.
> "Their cost is also their starting life, and it is specified on each
> card individually (like capacity)" [NoR.1]

Ah, ok. Out of curiosity, what's that [NoR.1] referring to?

> > - allies with "X" cost (Reanimated Corpse, for example)... this one
> > I'm not sure about. Is the cost zero, or the amount of blood/pool
> > actually paid for that specific instance of the ally?
>
> The cost is X: X is whatever X was set to when the card was played.

Makes sense. Thanks.

-Petri

LSJ

Apr 13, 2010, 9:50:34 AM4/13/10
On Apr 13, 8:51 am, Petri Wessman <or...@orava.org> wrote:
> > (about Imbued)

> > "Their cost is also their starting life, and it is specified on each
> > card individually (like capacity)" [NoR.1]
>
> Ah, ok. Out of curiosity, what's that [NoR.1] referring to?

Nights of Reckoning Rules. Rule Card 1.