LSJ- Roll and Raptor

1 view

XZealot

Mar 27, 2008, 6:18:07 PM3/27/08
LSJ,

Roll
Type: Combat
Requires: Flight
Do not replace until after combat.
[FLIGHT] Maneuver. A minion may play only one Roll each round. If this
minion is still ready when you would draw to replace this card, you
may move this card from your ash heap to your hand instead.

Raptor
Type: Retainer
Requires: Animalism
Cost: 2 blood
Animal with 1 life.
[ani] The minion with this retainer gets +1 intercept.
[ANI] As above, and when the minion with this retainer is in combat,
the opposing minion's controller gets -1 hand size.

Roll states that "If this minion is still ready when you would draw to
replace this car, you may move this card from your ashheap to your
hand as normal" and Raptor makes your hand size -1 for combat, which
means that you draw up to replace your cards at the end of combat.

Card text would indicate that you could redraw your Roll from your
ashheap at the end of combat to replace the Roll that you discarded
because of the Raptor effect. Is this true?

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp

ira...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2008, 6:24:33 PM3/27/08
On Mar 27, 3:18 pm, XZealot <xzea...@cox.net> wrote:
> Card text would indicate that you could redraw your Roll from your
> ashheap at the end of combat to replace the Roll that you discarded
> because of the Raptor effect. Is this true?

The rules of the game indicate that you don't apply card text for
cards that you discard due to hand size reduction (or random discard
effects, either, like Masque of Judas.) The text on Roll only
triggers when you play it as a combat card.

IANLSJ, but I feel pretty certain about my answer.

Ira

Thrall of Arika

Mar 27, 2008, 6:30:40 PM3/27/08
On Mar 27, 3:18 pm, XZealot <xzea...@cox.net> wrote:

I would have to say no. You didn't actually play Roll, so it's card
text isn't in effect. Plus you are not replacing any cards lost due to
smaller hand sizes when your hand size then becomes larger again, you
are merely drawing up to your hand size.

Chris, Thrall of Arika

LSJ

Mar 27, 2008, 8:42:09 PM3/27/08
ira...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 27, 3:18 pm, XZealot <xzea...@cox.net> wrote:
>> Card text would indicate that you could redraw your Roll from your
>> ashheap at the end of combat to replace the Roll that you discarded
>> because of the Raptor effect. Is this true?
>
> The rules of the game indicate that you don't apply card text for
> cards that you discard due to hand size reduction (or random discard
> effects, either, like Masque of Judas.) The text on Roll only
> triggers when you play it as a combat card.

Correct, it is not true that card text on Roll indicates that it would apply
even when Roll is not played.