Reverend Blackwood's +1 damage

0 vue

eyeswide...@yahoo.com

non lue,
31 mai 2001, 02:51:4831/05/2001
How is Reverend Blackwood's special figured in for strikes requiring
Thaumaturgy?

With a Soul Burn, for example, it seems simple, it does +1 damage. How about
with Theft of Vitae? Does the strike steal 1 or 2 blood and then cause 1 damage
in addition? How about Burst of Sunlight? Is all the damage, including the +1
aggravated?

Thanks
Doug

Reyda

non lue,
31 mai 2001, 03:35:1931/05/2001

<eyeswide...@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message news:
8SlR6.6588$rn5.3...@www.newsranger.com...

hi ! i asked the same question to LSJ a long time ago. In fact the +1
inherits the propertt of base damage, but only with cards that actually do
damage. Let's use examples :
Theft of Vitae steals blood, then it does no damage. So you'll only steal 2
blood.
Blood Rage will inflict 2+1=3 Damage, unpreventable by fortitude.
Walk of flame will inflict 2R+1= 3R damage aggravated
Burst of sunlight will inflict 2R+1= 3R damage, aggravated, to all vampires
in combat. That's clearly the type of strike you won't play if you really
love the reverend, cause event at inferior (2R agg) it won't be soaked by a
Flak jacket alone ;)

hope that helps
reyda

Pat Ricochet

non lue,
31 mai 2001, 03:27:4331/05/2001
> How is Reverend Blackwood's special figured in for strikes requiring
> Thaumaturgy?

It does "+1 point of damage", not "an additional point of damage," so it
only adds to damage dealing strikes.

> With a Soul Burn, for example, it seems simple, it does +1 damage.

Right on.

> How about
> with Theft of Vitae? Does the strike steal 1 or 2 blood and then cause 1
> damage in addition?

No, nor does it steal 3 blood (not that you asked).

> How about Burst of Sunlight? Is all the damage, including the +1
> aggravated?

Good question. White-Wolf's site isn't loading right now, so I can't
cut and paste the clarification, but I believe damage bonuses to agg strikes
inherit the agg properties of the base damage. i.e,. Thetmes doing Lucky
Blow is 2 agg, but a .44 with Dragon Breath Rounds is 2 normal+2agg.
By that ruling, it would all be aggravated. (either 2 or 3 Agg, inf or
superior)

The question then is, does Rev Blacky take the +1 himself on the Burst?
(I assume so)

--
Pat Ricochet
Soul Jar'rn Fool of Atlanta

"You can't make a fact out of an opinion by raising your voice."

LSJ

non lue,
31 mai 2001, 05:53:3331/05/2001
Pat Ricochet wrote:
> > How is Reverend Blackwood's special figured in for strikes requiring
> > Thaumaturgy?
> It does "+1 point of damage", not "an additional point of damage," so it
> only adds to damage dealing strikes.

Correct.

> > With a Soul Burn, for example, it seems simple, it does +1 damage.
> Right on.

Correct.

> > How about
> > with Theft of Vitae? Does the strike steal 1 or 2 blood and then cause 1
> > damage in addition?
> No, nor does it steal 3 blood (not that you asked).

Correct.

> > How about Burst of Sunlight? Is all the damage, including the +1
> > aggravated?
>
> Good question. White-Wolf's site isn't loading right now, so I can't
> cut and paste the clarification, but I believe damage bonuses to agg strikes
> inherit the agg properties of the base damage. i.e,. Thetmes doing Lucky
> Blow is 2 agg, but a .44 with Dragon Breath Rounds is 2 normal+2agg.
> By that ruling, it would all be aggravated. (either 2 or 3 Agg, inf or
> superior)

Correct. If the base damage were unpreventable, the additional damage would
be as well, too.

> The question then is, does Rev Blacky take the +1 himself on the Burst?
> (I assume so)

No. The damage is only added to the strike (the effect that targets the opposing
target), not to any side-effect (environmental) damage.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

theventrue

non lue,
1 juin 2001, 01:05:4801/06/2001
[snip]

> > The question then is, does Rev Blacky take the +1 himself on the
Burst?
> > (I assume so)
>
> No. The damage is only added to the strike (the effect that targets the
opposing
> target), not to any side-effect (environmental) damage.
>
> --
As a long term player i understand the logic behind this answer however i
doubt a newbie would read it that way. sometimes i wonder whether the
complexity of our game prevents it from attaining mass appeal.

Roger Carhult

non lue,
1 juin 2001, 12:48:2501/06/2001

"theventrue" <chr...@comcen.com.au> wrote in message

In this instance I really agree. It says "Strike: 1R, aggravated, to all
vampires in combat." Those who follow the rule discussions on the forum
could conclude that Reverend's ability doesn't affect himself but it's
really far from obvious and even if you know the rules you are still a bit
in doubt as to whether this is an exception to the rule or not since it's
worded the way it is and not in the same way as the Bomb for example:

"Weapon. Minion with this weapon may burn a location as a (D) action.
Alternatively, use as a strike in combat to do 5R damage, but minion takes 5
damage as well. Burn if action is successful or if minion strikes with this
weapon." Which doesn't say "to do 5R damage to all vampire sin combat". It
doesn't even say 5R damage to the striking minion but just 5 damage, which
at least gives a hint that the damage isn't the same as the damage you
striked with.

0 nouveau message