[EC 2010, Paris] Announcement of the Legendary Vampire, October 29th, Paris (same day as LCQ)

Stone

Jul 6, 2010, 9:41:17 AM7/6/10
Greetings,

as a reminder, the 2010 EC will take place in Paris, on October 29th-31st.
If you didn't bookmark the adresse of the EC 2010 site, please do so already
: http://ec2010vtes.com

This post announces the Legendary Vampire tournament, that will happen on
Friday, October 29th, on the same day as the Last Chance Qualifier. I'm
crossing fingers so that the copy/paste doesn't translate in something
horrible on google.

Legendary Vampire announcement, rules and F.A.Q

Announcement : Legendary Vampire, October 29th, Paris

The second edition of the Legendary Vampire will take place in Paris,
October 29th, on the same day as the LCQ. In this tournament, 25 of the most
challenging players will fiercely compete in a hostile environment, as they
are all brilliant and seasoned Methuselah!

Rules of the Legendary Vampire format

Short version: it's a regular constructed tournament, except that it's meant
for the top 25 players from the world ratings.

Long version:

-held on Friday, October 29th, i.e. same day as the LCQ

-invitational, constructed, rated

-rated only if exactly 25 players are present for the first round (no more,
no less)

-rating calculation: bonus of 1.25 to the coefficient, i.e. the rating
formula for finalists is : Coef = log15(252) - 1 + 1.25

-priority in pre-registration goes to the top 25 rated players, considering
the world rank established (i.e. online) on September 13th (rankings
calculated in the morning, at 12 PM GMT the rank results are final).

-the players willing to attend the event but rated 26+ in world rank would
be in waiting list (with priority obviously given to the higher rating)

-final registration on October 28th, the day before the LCQ, during the
welcome party.

-no qualifying spot for continental qualifiers will be awarded, since
belonging to the top 25 means you don't need another chance to qualify (and
that you should already be qualified by other means, being a top dog and
all).

Legendary Vampire F.A.Q :

What is the Legendary Vampire ?

It is a VtES tournament, constructed, sanctioned and rated. Its purpose is
to get the top 25 World rated players in a dedicated environment: a
tournament where the level of competition is high and the occasional "chaos
factor" brought by inexperienced players minimized. Perhaps you sometimes
wondered if you could play with such and such "top notch" players, all at
the same table ? Well, that's what the Legendary Vampire is all about.

What is the difference between the Legendary Vampire and a regular
tournament?

First, the number of slots is fixed to 25 (no more, no less). Second, it is
invitational with priority given according to rankings as per the Global
World Rank on September 13th 2010. What it means: if you belong to the top
25 on September 13th, you can attend the Legendary Vampire. For the rest, it
's the same as a regular tournament: 3 rounds+final, usual rules for
constructed etc.

Is the Legendary Vampire sanctioned?

It is both sanctioned and rated, as it has been fully approved by WW and
VEKN. Its rating bonus for finalists is calculated with a 1.25 bonus (as a
reminder, the bonus is 1 for a continental championship, 0.5 for a
continental qualifier etc.). Keeping in mind the number of players is set to
25, winning the Legendary Vampire is equivalent to winning a 135-players
regular tournament, or a 97-players ECQ, or a 35-players continental
championship.

Do you get qualified to the EC if you win the Legendary Vampire?

No. We feel like people who belong to the top 25 don't need a special
tournament to qualify. If you're not qualified to the EC, you should attend
the LCQ instead.

Why does the Legendary Vampire happen the same day as the LCQ?

The first edition of the Legendary Vampire was held in Montpellier, France,
in 2008, but it didn't result in any international presence. The EC
organizing crew felt that since many good players will be at the same place,
at the same time, we should take the opportunity to organize the 2nd
Legendary Vampire, this time with hopefully all the best players from all
over the world (well, many of them at least, since they're coming for the EC
anyway). But we all know it's not necessarily easy or convenient to spend
more than a few days for VtES, so having the LV at the same time as the LCQ
is the best option. Besides, most good and already qualified players usually
redundantly qualify at the LCQ. By "parking" the top 25 "threats" in a
dedicated tournament, it should have the positive side effect of having more
people qualified for the EC.

Why is the number of players set to exactly 25?

As you probably know already, 25 is the magic number when it comes to
meeting different players each round, with 5-players tables. The event will
exist only if we have exactly 25 players for the first round. It shouldn't
be an issue, since we're quite confident the format will arouse the interest
of many players.

How do I know if I'm eligible to the Legendary Vampire?

On September 13th, visit the White Wold VtES page and hit the global
rankings link. If you are rated n°1 to n°25, then you're eligible for sure.

I don't belong to the top 25, but surely some players are not going to come,
so.?

As much as we'd love to gather the top 25 players, obviously odds that some
from the top 25 won't make it to Paris for a variety of reasons. So, if your
ranking is good (say, from n°26 up to n°50 world rank for instance) and that
you intend to go to the EC anyway, you can still preregister on the waiting
list. For example, if 24 from the top 25 are attending the event "for sure",
then priority will be given to the n°26, or 27 if the 26th player is not
coming, etc.

We'll be closely monitoring who is likely to come and who isn't, who is on
waiting list and likely to come etc.

When will the list of participants be definitely established?

The registration will happen the day before, during the welcome party. If
you're on the waiting list, you'll know if you can attend the event or not.
We'll give more specific details on the schedule a few weeks before the
event on the EC site, the rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad newsgroup, e-mail
etc.

What if I'm on the waiting list but it happens I'm not eligible after all? I
won't get to play at all in any tournament?

No worries there. If you won't be able to attend the Legendary Vampire, you'
ll be able to register to the other events (LCQ and the like).

What happens if you don't have 25 players registered during the welcome
party?

Keep in mind that since the event will happen only if exactly 25 players are
present, which means we'll keep everyone (pre-registered players, players on
waiting list.) informed by e-mail, prior to the welcome party itself. The
communication by e-mail will also give us a good picture of who is likely to
come and who is not, in order to tell the people in waiting list if they
have a good chance of attending the event. But still, if something goes
wrong either during the welcome party of during the setup of the LV itself
the next day, then the event will simply be cancelled and the pool of
players will be redirected to another event (such as the LCQ or any other
available event). It's a good idea to keep a back-up deck ready, for those
of you who tune the deck depending on the number of players.

On September 13th, my world rank is wrong: everything was entered correctly,
but for some reason linked to the WW site my rating and rank are not
calculated properly.

I'll field the answer from Robyn : " There are already players who SHOULD be
in the top 25 who are not (because the site is broken) and are keeping me
informed. If we do not have the new site around September 13th, I will make
everyone aware of these players and their numbers. There will be no dispute
about what the facts are."

On september 13th, my world rank is wrong: some Prince didn't enter the
results of a tournament in time, another Prince didn't properly report my
VEKN number, another one didn't report the tournament I had won because he
was hit by a meteorite and possibly abducted by aliens. Any way you can fix
this?

Ah. That's the tricky question. The short answer is "no, sorry". We do
realize that the world rank is not 100% accurate due to many reasons: errors
in input when submitting the results of a tournament, some lazy organizers
seem to need weeks or months to submit the results, some might be incapable
of submitting them properly, and some are even unwilling or unable to do it.
But first, the issue will arise whatever the deadline is, so the deadline
will not change; second, I will not, repeat, will *not*, go into the giant
headache of handling such and such organizer's mistake. If you feel your
world rank is not right, try to get it sorted with your local prince as soon
as possible (might as well start now), and in the tournaments you will
attend before September, try to have a chat with whoever organizes it so you
'll feel more confident your ranking will be properly computed.

If, in the end, you happen to be the top 26 player and it's not fair because
you're suffering from a mistake which is not your own, then I will truly
feel sorry for you, but I will *not* delve into cleaning up the mess.
Remember, all of the people who organize tournaments are volunteers. My
basis for the LV is the world rank, which implies that all the tournaments
organized by others are fully organized in a proper way, including all the
process of submitting results. If this process is not run properly because
of an organizer is too lazy / absent-minded / inadequately competent /
whatever, it means the incident must be solved locally, by the playgroup and
for the playgroup. It might be too late for the LV, but then, maybe the
event will happen again; besides, not attending the LV means you can rampage
through the LCQ or whatever other event, so it's not the end of the world,
is it?

It's september 13th and my Prince finally sent the results that get me into
top 25! He was doing volunteer work in order to save whales and baby seals,
and had an accident that had got him into a comatose state. He just woke up
this morning, holding a baby seal in his arms. Surely you can make a little
exception for me?

Again, short answer: "no, sorry". I simply do not have the time to get an
investigation team and ponder over the certainly exciting line of events
that got you there. And again, I feel sorry for you, but that's just the way
it is.

But...but...I mean, baby seals?

Please. Get a grip. I don't expect the LV happening without any drama,
anyway.

I didn't understand anything! In 15 years of VtES, I've never seen anything
like this, this is undecipherable.

Well. Either attend the LCQ like most players, or send an e-mail at
legendar...@yahoo.fr and I'll fill you in.

Stone

alex fnurp

Jul 6, 2010, 10:50:50 AM7/6/10
On 6 Juli, 15:41, "Stone" <mc_judge_st...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I didn't understand anything! In 15 years of VtES, I've never seen anything
> like this, this is undecipherable.

Hello Stone,

Great initiative and sounds like a really fun tournament where the
giants gets to duke it out with each other :) Am looking forward to
this a lot, not as a participator obviously, but as a spectator.
Going to be a lot of fun to see how this turns out - the games are
going to be crazy!

Thanks for doing this

- teh fnurp

Xaddam

Jul 6, 2010, 2:45:25 PM7/6/10
On 6 Juli, 15:41, "Stone" <mc_judge_st...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> On September 13th, my world rank is wrong: everything was entered correctly,
> but for some reason linked to the WW site my rating and rank are not
> calculated properly.
>
> I'll field the answer from Robyn : " There are already players who SHOULD be
> in the top 25 who are not (because the site is broken) and are keeping me
> informed.  If we do not have the new site around September 13th, I will make
> everyone aware of these players and their numbers.  There will be no dispute
> about what the facts are."

Thanks for this accomodation. :)

Looking forward to it alot! Thanks for organizing this.

squidalot

Jul 8, 2010, 4:22:11 PM7/8/10
Any chance of a draft at any point during the weekend either for who
don't want to play in the LCQ or those who do not want to play in the
FCQ?

alex fnurp

Jul 9, 2010, 4:40:32 AM7/9/10

They are discussing drafts @ sabbatinfrance, dont have time to
pinpoint you to the thread but there is hope :]

But I personaly dont like 3rd/KoT drafts at all, done to many of them
and I guess everyone else has too, so I'd be requesting something else
- Like 3 third/3 sword of caine or along these lines.

squidalot

Jul 9, 2010, 12:22:42 PM7/9/10

Your assumption would be wrong Alex - but yes varition is also good.
I've seen their board - the international section is very quiet.

sabrina abdou

Jul 13, 2010, 6:28:50 AM7/13/10

> Your assumption would be wrong Alex - but yes varition is also good.
> I've seen their board - the international section is very quiet.

Many discussions are not public but feel free to open any you want ;-)

TTC

squidalot

Jul 13, 2010, 12:59:40 PM7/13/10

I have Orian :)