Magic of the Smith Question

Michael Beer

Oct 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/18/97

May Magic of the Smith be used with Loquipment (Equipment which warps
into a location) such as Palatial Estate?

I think yes, but want to ask.

--

Michael Beer, Dortmund, Germany, ICQ 1175389
http://www.noefs.ping.de/user/mike/index.html

James Coupe

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

In article <344902...@leila.ping.de>, Michael Beer
<Mi...@leila.ping.de> writes

>May Magic of the Smith be used with Loquipment (Equipment which warps
>into a location) such as Palatial Estate?
>
>I think yes, but want to ask.

Yes - Locquipment is equipment until it's in play when it is a location
- so when it's still in your deck it counts as equipment. If a Kendrick
style vampire checked your hand for equipment, locquipment would trigger
it etc.

This bit added later: Being as I am stupid, I forgot there was a
Kendrick style vamp for equipment - his name is Darius Styx. However,
don't forget that he cannot be directed at yourself (so no sneaky
getting out locquipment without paying the cost). AFAIK, the only (D)
action directable at yourself is Rampage.

--

James Coupe (remove .nospam to reply by e-mail)

If you find you are falling into madness - dive

LSJ

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97
to vte...@oracle.wizards.com

Mi...@leila.ping.de wrote:

> May Magic of the Smith be used with Loquipment (Equipment which warps
> into a location) such as Palatial Estate?
>
> I think yes, but want to ask.

Yes. Loquipment is just equipment when it isn't in play (and is just
location when it is in play).

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com)
Official VtES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.

Ben McBride

Oct 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/22/97

If you use Rampage against a location you control it is NOT directed.
Regardless of what the text may imply, both your predator and prey have the
option to block as usual.
I know this to be true :o)

--
Gueran

Thomas Stellmach <soch...@sp.zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote in article
<344E1110...@sp.zrz.tu-berlin.de>...
> ....salem christ.... wrote:
> >
> > David Pontes wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, James Coupe wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > that destroys a location you control. Since every action needs a (D)
> > > symbol to be a directed action, this second ability is an
*undirected*
> > > action.
> > >
> > > I sure hope I'm right :)
> >
> > wrong! O:)
> >
> > it says: (D) burn a location. if you do this against a loctaion you
> > control, it is at +1 stealth.
> > (or something like that)
> > now....the "this" refers to the (D) action. THEREFORE, it is a (D)
> > action against yourself. for as we all know, card text ovverrides any
> > general rules, except where those cards have been ruled upon otherwise.
> > O:)
>
> wrong ! O:)
>
> (D) Actions directed at oneself became nondirected. Otherwise the action
would
> not be blockable, which made the "+1 stealth" senseless.
> LSJ ... Hello? ... Enlighten us ...
>
> cu, Thomas

Anthony Barker

Oct 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/23/97

> Ben McBride wrote:
>
> If you use Rampage against a location you control it is NOT directed.
> Regardless of what the text may imply, both your predator and prey have the
> option to block as usual.
> I know this to be true :o)
>
> --

You can use directed actions against yourself if allowed by card-text.
Rampage is the only card that allows you to this. If you do such an
action then no other Methusaleh's may attempt to block.

[VTES Rules Reference v2.11]
> 1. If (D) then only the target Methuselah's Minions can attempt to
> block. NOTE: If the target Methuselah is also the Acting Methuselah,
> then no minion may attempt to block. [TOM]

Anthony Barker.

LSJ

Oct 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/23/97

....salem christ.... wrote:
> you see, only you are allowed to block a D action against yourself.
> rampage is only card that lets you D yourself. BUT the +1 stealth is not
> irrelevant due to the nature of cards such as eagle's sight (reaction,
> auspex) and anneke (vampire), which let them override the usual order of
> who may attempt to block.
> the usual list of who may block is in these orders:
> for undirected, it goes: prey, predator, others (eagle's sight, etc).
> for D actions it is: target, others.
>
> i think the order "others" goes in is clockwise, from action minion's
> meth, but i am not sure.

Correct.
Order of anything always (barring card text exceptions) goes:
1. Acting Meth
2. Blocking/Target Meth (if any).
3. Other Meths, clockwise from acting Meth.

(Where 2. is first the Prey then the Predator in the case
of undirected actions).

James Coupe

Oct 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/23/97

In article <8776109...@dejanews.com>, LSJ <vte...@wizards.com>
writes

>"Ben McBride" <Gue...@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you use Rampage against a location you control it is NOT directed.
>> Regardless of what the text may imply, both your predator and prey have the
>> option to block as usual.
>> I know this to be true :o)
>
>It is not true. As first ruled in RTR 11/9/94, Rampage is still (D) even
>when targetting a location you control. As such, no one can block without
>special card text like Eagle's Sight or Anneke.
>
>Much debate surrounded the ruling at the time, and the RT held fast to
>its position.

>--
>L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com)
>Official VtES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.
>(*) - Subject to review by Rules Team

Hmm.... I know Eagle's Sight would - it allows you to attempt to block
any minion. But Anneke requires others to have declined or failed to do
so. If I (D) an action (Rampage) at myself, no-one else has the
opportunity or the ability to block (excluding Eagle's Sight).

So would Anneke only be able to block a Rampage at myself if someone
else Eagle Sighted and failed, or if she Eagle Sighted herself.

A minor point, but I was just wondering.

Joshua Duffin

Oct 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/23/97

LSJ (vte...@wizards.com) wrote:

: "Ben McBride" <Gue...@msn.com> wrote:
: >
: > If you use Rampage against a location you control it is NOT directed.
: > Regardless of what the text may imply, both your predator and prey have the
: > option to block as usual.
: > I know this to be true :o)

: It is not true. As first ruled in RTR 11/9/94, Rampage is still (D) even
: when targetting a location you control. As such, no one can block without
: special card text like Eagle's Sight or Anneke.

: Much debate surrounded the ruling at the time, and the RT held fast to
: its position.

LSJ:

When I saw the post you're responding to, I immediately remembered that
ruling and tried to look it up on the California Rulemonger mirror. It
wasn't listed in the VTES/Jyhad cards rulings, as far as I could see. The
only reference I could find was that in the Complete Rules Reference, it
said under (D) actions that if an action was (D) at the person taking it,
"no one can block" (without mention of effects that *would* let someone
block). Unless there are more complete versions of these files that I'm
not aware of, you may want to modify them a little bit.

(It may not be necessary to change the Rules Reference, if card text is
considered to be simply overriding the general rule on who can block (D)
actions, even when directed at the Methuselah taking the action.)

Josh

still hasn't ever seen someone use Rampage to burn a location they control
(I assume that Rampage, just like Arson, cannot burn a contested location..)

Ben McBride

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

Sorry guys, I guess I just cant keep pace with the rulings :(

--
Gueran

LSJ <vte...@wizards.com> wrote in article
<8776109...@dejanews.com>...

> "Ben McBride" <Gue...@msn.com> wrote:
> >
> > If you use Rampage against a location you control it is NOT directed.
> > Regardless of what the text may imply, both your predator and prey have
the
> > option to block as usual.
> > I know this to be true :o)
>
> It is not true. As first ruled in RTR 11/9/94, Rampage is still (D) even
> when targetting a location you control. As such, no one can block without
> special card text like Eagle's Sight or Anneke.
>
> Much debate surrounded the ruling at the time, and the RT held fast to
> its position.

LSJ

Oct 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/27/97
to vte...@oreacle.wizards.com

James Coupe <ja...@obeah.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:
> [Effects such as Eagle's Sight or Anneke are needed to block self-directed
> Rampage -lsj]

> Hmm.... I know Eagle's Sight would - it allows you to attempt to block
> any minion. But Anneke requires others to have declined or failed to do
> so. If I (D) an action (Rampage) at myself, no-one else has the
> opportunity or the ability to block (excluding Eagle's Sight).

Since Eagle's Sight is possible, you have to ask for "any other blocks?"
after consulting the base defenders (target or pred/prey - whish is no
one in the case of self-directed Rampage).

At this point, all will have to decline to use Eagle's Sight (or use
it, but that makes the example trivial).

After they decline, Anneke can attempt to block.

LSJ

Oct 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/27/97

du...@newton.ruph.cornell.edu (Joshua Duffin) wrote:

> LSJ (vte...@wizards.com) wrote:
> : It is not true. As first ruled in RTR 11/9/94, Rampage is still (D) even

> : when targetting a location you control. As such, no one can block without
> : special card text like Eagle's Sight or Anneke.
>
> : Much debate surrounded the ruling at the time, and the RT held fast to
> : its position.
>
> When I saw the post you're responding to, I immediately remembered that
> ruling and tried to look it up on the California Rulemonger mirror. It
> wasn't listed in the VTES/Jyhad cards rulings, as far as I could see. The
> only reference I could find was that in the Complete Rules Reference, it
> said under (D) actions that if an action was (D) at the person taking it,
> "no one can block" (without mention of effects that *would* let someone
> block). Unless there are more complete versions of these files that I'm
> not aware of, you may want to modify them a little bit.

"(D) actions are (D)" ?

I don't see a need to lengthen the already-too-long errata lists
with such a statement, esp. since the only card that this identity
is of interest to is largely useless (when was the last time you
wanted to block a self-directed Rampage in an actual game?)