((LSJ)) Hell-for-Leather

Juggernaut1981

Jan 11, 2010, 11:02:05 PM1/11/10
LSJ,

Can you use IN ORDER, HFL @ ani (S:D + add) and then HFL @ cel (Add
which doesn't count against adds)?

Name: Hell-for-Leather
[TR:C]
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Animalism/Celerity/Obtenebration
Requires an anarch. Only one Hell-for-Leather may be played at a given
Discipline each combat.
[ani] Strike: dodge, with an additional strike.
[cel] Additional strike (that doesn't count against the limit).
[obt] Play if this anarch is ready and the opposing minion is not. The
opposing minion's controller burns 2 pool.

librarian

Jan 11, 2010, 11:24:34 PM1/11/10

That's what I'm reading the card text to say, why wouldn't
you be able too?

best -

chris

Juggernaut1981

Jan 11, 2010, 11:51:31 PM1/11/10

Rulebook 6.4.3: Can't get more than one source of additionals.
I understand HFL to work exactly like Jacko's built in strike. If
you're going to use it, you have to use it first.

XZealot

Jan 12, 2010, 12:04:08 AM1/12/10

you are mistaken about both Hell for Leather and Jacko's strike

0 + 1 = 1
1 + 0 = 1

1 source of addtionals is all you get, but if they don't count against
your total then

Jacko could play Blur for 2 adds then Hell for Leather at cel and
Quickness at sup and then top it off with his own additional strike
for FIVE additional strikes

1 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 1 source of additional strikes
2 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 5 additional strikes

Juggernaut1981

Jan 12, 2010, 12:32:33 AM1/12/10

Well, after reading an entire thread on additional strikes, I still do
not feel that I'm sure you are right.
LSJ> Is there a concise summary/example of how additional strikes
actually work? Is it in the rulebook?

LSJ

Jan 12, 2010, 7:58:05 AM1/12/10

Correct.

LSJ

Jan 12, 2010, 7:59:58 AM1/12/10
On Jan 12, 12:32 am, Juggernaut1981 <brasscompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> LSJ> Is there a concise summary/example of how additional strikes
> actually work?  Is it in the rulebook?

Yes. [6.4.3] "Strike", under the heading "Additional Strikes".

Kevin M.

Jan 12, 2010, 8:52:40 AM1/12/10

6.4.3 states that "A minion cannot use more than one card or effect
to gain additional strikes per round of combat." Even if a card says
"Additional strike (that doesn't count against the limit)", the fact
that you are USING the card as a source of multiple additional strikes
seems to be clearly illegal, no matter the "doesn't count" phrase.

Unless you're defining "that doesn't count against the limit" as not
"using"?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! http://vtesville.myminicity.com/
Please buy my cards! http://shop.ebay.com/kjmergen/m.html
Please attend my qualifier! http://members.cox.net/vtesinlv/

LSJ

Jan 12, 2010, 8:55:20 AM1/12/10

My mistake. I should have also referenced [1.4].

Yes, indeed, the card text that says it doesn't count against the
limit given in 6.4.3 means that it doesn't count against that limit.

Johannes Walch

Jan 12, 2010, 11:18:14 AM1/12/10
LSJ schrieb:

So to get it 100% straight: all cards that saay "doesn�t count against
the limit" just ignore any previous additional strikes, correct? So it
is contrary to the Trifle mechanism (where you have to play the Trifle
first).

LSJ

Jan 12, 2010, 11:27:08 AM1/12/10
On Jan 12, 11:18 am, Johannes Walch <johannes.wa...@vekn.de> wrote:
> LSJ schrieb:

> > Yes, indeed, the card text that says it doesn't count against the
> > limit given in 6.4.3 means that it doesn't count against that limit.
>
> So to get it 100% straight: all cards that saay "doesn´t count against
> the limit" just ignore any previous additional strikes, correct? So it
> is contrary to the Trifle mechanism (where you have to play the Trifle
> first).

They ignore them in as far as the limit they themselves do not count
against is concerned, per card text, sure. As XZealot says: 1 + 0 = 0
+ 1 <= the limit (which is 1).

Quickness won't ignore a previously-played Quickness, of course (card
text: " A vampire may only play one Quickness each round.").

It works differently than the Trifle mechanism, sure. The Trifle
mechanism ignores nothing and does not remove itself from counting
against someything. It costs an MPA. The effect of the Trifle gives
you another MPA. There is no "Additional Strike Action" to spend.
Likewise there is no limit on the number of MPAs you can spend (if you
have them) in a given master phase.

Juggernaut1981

Jan 12, 2010, 5:00:02 PM1/12/10
On Jan 13, 3:27 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> On Jan 12, 11:18 am, Johannes Walch <johannes.wa...@vekn.de> wrote:
>
> > LSJ schrieb:
> > > Yes, indeed, the card text that says it doesn't count against the
> > > limit given in 6.4.3 means that it doesn't count against that limit.
>
> > So to get it 100% straight: all cards that saay "doesn´t count against
> > the limit" just ignore any previous additional strikes, correct? So it
> > is contrary to the Trifle mechanism (where you have to play the Trifle
> > first).

So to confirm...

You NEED to play/gain/generate/declare any "does not count against the
limit" additional strikes before you gain any "standard additional
strikes"?

Jacko can Strike, Use his own Additional, Quickness, Blur (declaring
relevant strikes when needed) because His Additional & Quickness do
not count against the limit of generating additional strikes...
but CANNOT Strike, Blur, Use his own Additional, Quickness (declaring
relevant strikes when needed) because the Blur triggers his "one
source of additional strikes" and precludes him from generating more
additional strikes later in that round of combat.

Meej

Jan 12, 2010, 6:07:48 PM1/12/10
On Jan 12, 5:00 pm, Juggernaut1981 <brasscompo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So to confirm...
>
> You NEED to play/gain/generate/declare any "does not count against the
> limit" additional strikes before you gain any "standard additional
> strikes"?

Huh? No, that's exactly the opposite of what he said above - Jacko
can do either. 1+0 = 0+1, and both are <=1.

- D.J.