[LSJ] Morphean Blow

botipeti

Feb 21, 2010, 12:43:28 PM2/21/10
Hi!

Let's say vamp A blocks vamp B and in combat vamp B plays Torrent to
continue the action and vamp A plays Morphean Blow inferior. Can vamp
B continue the action or continueing is the same as taking an action
which he cannot do because of Morphean Blow?

Morphean Blow, Combat, 1 blood, Valeren/Celerity
Only usable at close range.
[cel] Strike: combat ends.
[val] Strike: combat ends and put this card on the opposing minion.
This minion cannot take actions or block. Burn this card at the end of
the turn.
[VAL] As [val] above, and if this vampire was blocked while performing
an action other than bleeding, the action continues as if unblocked.

Torrent, Combat, 2 blood, Celerity
[cel] Additional strike.
[CEL] Strike: combat ends. If this vampire was blocked while
performing an action, the ation continues as if unblocked.

LSJ

Feb 21, 2010, 12:50:15 PM2/21/10
On Feb 21, 12:43 pm, botipeti <botip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's say vamp A blocks vamp B and in combat vamp B plays Torrent to
> continue the action and vamp A plays Morphean Blow inferior. Can vamp
> B continue the action or continueing is the same as taking an action
> which he cannot do because of Morphean Blow?

He can continue. Similarly, if he lost a single blood in combat and
was then empty, he could still continue the non-hunt action, eve
though empty vampires cannot take non-hunt actions.

Salem

Feb 22, 2010, 7:54:32 AM2/22/10
LSJ wrote:
> On Feb 21, 12:43 pm, botipeti <botip...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Let's say vamp A blocks vamp B and in combat vamp B plays Torrent to
>> continue the action and vamp A plays Morphean Blow inferior. Can vamp
>> B continue the action or continueing is the same as taking an action
>> which he cannot do because of Morphean Blow?
>
> He can continue. Similarly, if he lost a single blood in combat and
> was then empty, he could still continue the non-hunt action, eve
> though empty vampires cannot take non-hunt actions.

but if you're ambushing a vampire that untaps, it fizzles. not quite the
same, i know, but seems weird.

--
salem

LSJ

Feb 22, 2010, 8:25:27 AM2/22/10

Well, it fizzles when it reaches resolution with no valid target, yes.

A bleed would also fizzle if its target is no longer a valid target
when it reaches resolution. That happens less often (and when it does
happen, the acting player is unlikely to be concerned by the fact that
the action is fizzling).

Also, a tapped vampire can continue an action, despite the fact that
only untapped minions can take actions.

Janne Hägglund

Feb 22, 2010, 9:02:08 AM2/22/10
Salem <kell...@hotmail.com> writes:

Not to me. Morphean Blow says: "This minion cannot take actions or block."
And the minion is not *taking* an action, but *continuing* an action that was
already taken, back when taking an action was a legal thing to do.

HG

Reyda !

Feb 22, 2010, 1:41:16 PM2/22/10

I would like to ask a question to LSJ about a similar case :

There are 3 methuselahs left
one of them is calling a Reckless agitation with a Baali.
During the block attempt, the predator trying to block is ousted (say,
damage from Psychomachia on a famed minion)
Only two methuselahs left. The action continues but what happens ?
Does the action fizzle entirely ? Does this eventually cancel the
referendum only ?
Is it possible to freak drive since the action itself was left
unblocked ?

thank you :)

LSJ

Feb 22, 2010, 4:08:32 PM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 1:41 pm, "Reyda !" <rey...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 fév, 14:25, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> > Well, it fizzles when it reaches resolution with no valid target, yes.
>
> > A bleed would also fizzle if its target is no longer a valid target
> > when it reaches resolution. That happens less often (and when it does
> > happen, the acting player is unlikely to be concerned by the fact that
> > the action is fizzling).
>
> > Also, a tapped vampire can continue an action, despite the fact that
> > only untapped minions can take actions.
>
> I would like to ask a question to LSJ about a similar case :
>
> There are 3 methuselahs left
> one of them is calling a Reckless agitation with a Baali.
> During the block attempt, the predator trying to block is ousted (say,
> damage from Psychomachia on a famed minion)

(Or xe plays a DI on something)

> Only two methuselahs left. The action continues but what happens ?
> Does the action fizzle entirely ? Does this eventually cancel the
> referendum only ?

The usual circumstances of this question are "Parity Shift and the
intended target, who is the only legal target, drops xer pool total
below that of the acting Methuselah's".

The action is successful (unblocked).

Resolution: conduct a referendum.

When it comes time to set the terms, the action fizzles (terms cannot
legally be set).

> Is it possible to freak drive since the action itself was left
> unblocked ?

Yes. If the action cost blood (Bureaucratic Overload), that cost would
also have been paid.