Bear-baiting Q

agzocgud

Aug 4, 2009, 5:43:03 PM8/4/09
What happens if one of the players has a crypt with zero cards when
bear-baiting is played?

Thanks in advance

Bear-Baiting
Type: Action Modifier
Requires: anarch
Cost: 1 blood
Requires a ready anarch. Only usable when an older non-anarch vampire
successfully blocks.
Compare the costs of the top cards in your crypt and the blocker's
crypt and shuffle both. If yours is younger, this anarch takes 1
unpreventable damage (and combat occurs as normal). Otherwise, cancel
the combat and place this card on the acting anarch. This anarch gets
+2 bleed when bleeding the blocking vampire's controller.

Rarity: Anarchs:R

XZealot

Aug 4, 2009, 6:14:52 PM8/4/09

I would be willing to say that you couldn't play it.

Juggernaut1981

Aug 4, 2009, 6:48:39 PM8/4/09
> I would be willing to say that you couldn't play it.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not so sure. There is no requirement in the "Only usable..."
section of the card. I would actually think that a non-existant crypt
card would have a value of zero. But IANLSJ.

LSJ

Aug 4, 2009, 8:13:40 PM8/4/09
agzocgud wrote:
> What happens if one of the players has a crypt with zero cards when
> bear-baiting is played?

No.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/04306a4521ef9e2b

Reyda !

Aug 4, 2009, 10:53:13 PM8/4/09
On 5 août, 02:13, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> agzocgud wrote:
> > What happens if one of the players has a crypt with zero cards when
> > bear-baiting is played?
>
> No.

Syntax error ! ^^

agzocgud

Aug 5, 2009, 4:30:10 AM8/5/09
Thanks.

LSJ, why can´t you play the card? You meet the requirments, and
nowhere does it say that select ot "target" the top card of the
repective crypts. I would have guessed that is played with no effect.
I thought that the general "rule" was that you play the cards and then
carry out as much as possible. In this case, since you can´t complete
the first sentence the rest becomes moot. So I´m intrested to know how
you made this ruling.

Blooded Sand

Aug 5, 2009, 4:31:02 AM8/5/09

correct.... :)

Jozxyqk

Aug 5, 2009, 6:33:25 AM8/5/09
agzocgud <per_m...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks.

> I would have guessed that is played with no effect.
> I thought that the general "rule" was that you play the cards and then
> carry out as much as possible.

The general rule is that you can't attempt to do something impossible.
Like you can't attempt to call Parity Shift when you have the most pool.

LSJ

Aug 5, 2009, 6:42:45 AM8/5/09
agzocgud wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> LSJ, why can�t you play the card? You meet the requirments, and
> nowhere does it say that select ot "target" the top card of the
> repective crypts.

Bum's Rush doesn't say "target", either.

But, like Bear-baiting, it clearly targets something.

agzocgud

Aug 5, 2009, 9:38:24 AM8/5/09

Can celestial Harmony (at superior) be played if one player has a hand
size of zero? I´m still not sure how this "template" works...

Celestial Harmony
Type: Action
Requires: Auspex
+1 stealth action.
[aus] (D) Choose a Methuselah. That Methuselah selects all but one of
the cards in his or her hand and shows them to you.
[AUS] As above, but all Methuselahs are chosen.

LSJ

Aug 5, 2009, 9:43:54 AM8/5/09
agzocgud wrote:
> On 5 Aug, 12:42, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> agzocgud wrote:
>>> Thanks.
>>> LSJ, why can�t you play the card? You meet the requirments, and
>>> nowhere does it say that select ot "target" the top card of the
>>> repective crypts.
>> Bum's Rush doesn't say "target", either.
>>
>> But, like Bear-baiting, it clearly targets something.
>
> Can celestial Harmony (at superior) be played if one player has a hand
> size of zero? I�m still not sure how this "template" works...

Sure.

Blooded Sand

Aug 5, 2009, 9:57:29 AM8/5/09

Ok, I was with you up till here. If bear baiting cannot select the top
card in the crypt, thus is invaid, how is a methuselah being unable to
select a card in his hand not to show you not the same?

Too many negatives, but you get the point... ;)

agzocgud

Aug 5, 2009, 9:57:41 AM8/5/09

So you can "target" an empty hand but not an empty crypt? I guess you
could play magic of the smith or Sibyl´s tounge with an empty library,
so an empty library is also ok. Could you please enlighten me how this
works?

Thanks in advance.

Sibyl's Tongue
Type: Action
Requires: Malkavian antitribu
Cost: X blood
+1 stealth action.
This action costs X blood, where X is the number of Sibyl's Tongues in
your ash heap. Choose a card by name. Search your library for a copy
of that card, show it to all players, and move it to your hand.
Discard down to your hand size and shuffle your library afterward.

Magic of the Smith
Type: Action
Requires: Thaumaturgy
Cost: 1 blood
+1 stealth action.
[tha] Search your library for an equipment card and equip this acting
vampire with it (requirements and cost apply as normal). Shuffle
afterward.
[THA] As above, but this is a +3 stealth action.

LSJ

Aug 5, 2009, 1:46:27 PM8/5/09

"all" is able to work with zero.
"all but one" as well.

Juggernaut1981

Aug 5, 2009, 7:11:04 PM8/5/09
> "all but one" as well.- Hide quoted text -

So what you're suggesting is that if the target is "All X in the Y"
that is different to "This X in that particular Y".

i.e. You can target all Methuselah's Hands and force them to discard a
card even if one of them is empty but you cannot target a Specific
Methuselah's hand and force them to discard a card if it is empty.