Wake with evening's question!!

The Corrupter

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95
In article <49dq9u$o...@lace.colorado.edu>, Neil Paananen <np...@umich.edu>
wrote:

> Help! Quick card question! The card Wake with evening's freshness says
> do not replace until after combat (as do others.) But what if I play
> it, not planning to enter combat? To just play a reaction or something?
> Can I pick a new card then right away, even before I declare my
> reaction?

To resolve any card that says "Do not replace until after combat", that
card is not replaced until the current action is resolved or a combat
resulting from that action is resolved. In the case of a reaction card
(a la Wake), the current action is the action being reacted to.

> Question 2: Can you declare a block against someone at +1 stealth
> even if you don't have the appropriate intercept? This question ties
in
> with the first....

Yes, you can declare an _attempt_ to block. However, since Wake does not
allow you to actually redraw a card, you would need to have an intercept
card already in hand in order to successful block the action.

On a slight side note, it is possible to wake and do nothing or wake and
have another minion block, if only to cycle cards.

"I can send and receive e-mail even over the Internet"-aol commercial
@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$
# Adrian Sullivan sull...@cslab.uwlax.edu Spoutingly yours 8^) #
$ GAT/CS/O/WS R+++* tv&--- b++(+++)&+ t X++&-- 5->? e+*>++++ PS+&-+ @
# PE&++&- C(+++)$ UX+>+++$ N++(+) K+>++++ w---$>? M++$ r(+) y*+? 3.1#
@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$

Alan Kwan

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
In article <Pine.NXT.3.91.951127210023.411A-100000@pentode> The Corrupter <sull...@cslab.uwlax.edu> writes:
>In article <49dq9u$o...@lace.colorado.edu>, Neil Paananen <np...@umich.edu>
>wrote:
>
>> Question 2: Can you declare a block against someone at +1 stealth
>> even if you don't have the appropriate intercept? This question ties
>in
>> with the first....
>
>Yes, you can declare an _attempt_ to block. However, since Wake does not
>allow you to actually redraw a card, you would need to have an intercept
>card already in hand in order to successful block the action.
>
>On a slight side note, it is possible to wake and do nothing or wake and
>have another minion block, if only to cycle cards.

Note that although this is popularly accepted and perhaps "official",
it is in contradiction to the rules (at least in Jyhad): the Jyhad
rules mentioned that you cannot attempt to block unless you play
sufficient intercept to begin with.

So, you can't just burn a Wake without playing another reaction card,
or risking your minion getting into combat.

--
"Live Life with Heart."

Alan Kwan kw...@cs.cornell.edu

Stuart J. Pieloch

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
kw...@cs.cornell.edu (Alan Kwan) writes:
>>On a slight side note, it is possible to wake and do nothing or wake and
>>have another minion block, if only to cycle cards.

>Note that although this is popularly accepted and perhaps "official",
>it is in contradiction to the rules (at least in Jyhad): the Jyhad
>rules mentioned that you cannot attempt to block unless you play
>sufficient intercept to begin with.

I believe that the idea is
if I am trying to burn through my hand to come up with that
stealth card that I know is coming and will allow me to bleed
my prey out, I will play a wakey whenever possible just to
get it out of my hand. I have played wakey's in reaction to
my Grandprey's actions cause I could and wanted to get then out of my hand.

It worked cause I drew the int that I needed to stop my predator
from calling that damnebly KRC that would've killed me and
probably allowed him to oust my prey at the time immediately
following the vote. ( like one blood left in his pool after that vote)

So is this legal or not?
I can see no reason for it to not be?

>Alan Kwan kw...@cs.cornell.edu

Stu
--
"He said: 'Continue. Take my people back...to the stars'"
-- Londo (re: Centauri Emperor's last words),

Thomas R Wylie

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95

Wake With Evening's Freshness does not require the vampire to block or play
reaction cards; it simply allows the vampire to do so in spite of the fact
that the vampire is tapped. It is certainly possible to play WWEF even if
you have no intention of doing anything afterwards (as long as someone else
is acting).

Tom Wylie rec.games.trading-cards.* Network Representative for
aa...@cats.ucsc.edu Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

Alan Kwan

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
In article <49hnl6$8...@acmey.gatech.edu> dsa...@prism.gatech.edu (Stuart J. Pieloch) writes:

>I believe that the idea is
>if I am trying to burn through my hand to come up with that
>stealth card that I know is coming and will allow me to bleed
>my prey out, I will play a wakey whenever possible just to
>get it out of my hand. I have played wakey's in reaction to
>my Grandprey's actions cause I could and wanted to get then out of my hand.
>
>It worked cause I drew the int that I needed to stop my predator
>from calling that damnebly KRC that would've killed me and
>probably allowed him to oust my prey at the time immediately
>following the vote. ( like one blood left in his pool after that vote)
>
>So is this legal or not?
>I can see no reason for it to not be?

It is legal, but you may want to make a house rule against that,
unless you /really/ want to exclude anyone without 10 Wakes or so
from playing in your group.

CurtAdams

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
Alan Kwan writes:
>The Corrupter <sull...@cslab.uwlax.edu> writes:

>>On a slight side note, it is possible to wake and do nothing or wake and

>>have another minion block, if only to cycle cards.

>Note that although this is popularly accepted and perhaps "official",
>it is in contradiction to the rules (at least in Jyhad): the Jyhad
>rules mentioned that you cannot attempt to block unless you play
>sufficient intercept to begin with.

>So, you can't just burn a Wake without playing another reaction card,

>or risking your minion getting into combat.

No, you still can cycle the Wakes. You needn't attempt to block to play a
Wake.

Curt Adams (curt...@aol.com)

Shane Travis

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
Alan Kwan (kw...@cs.cornell.edu) wrote:
: The Corrupter <sull...@cslab.uwlax.edu> writes:

: >Neil Paananen <np...@umich.edu> wrote:
: >
: >> Question 2: Can you declare a block against someone at +1 stealth
: >> even if you don't have the appropriate intercept?
: >
: >Yes, you can declare an _attempt_ to block.
: >
: >On a slight side note, it is possible to wake and do nothing or wake and
: >have another minion block, if only to cycle cards.

: Note that although this is popularly accepted and perhaps "official",
: it is in contradiction to the rules (at least in Jyhad): the Jyhad
: rules mentioned that you cannot attempt to block unless you play
: sufficient intercept to begin with.

Agree with this.

: So, you can't just burn a Wake without playing another reaction card,

: or risking your minion getting into combat.

Disagree with this. Text of the card is: (like we don't all know it by heart...)

Wake with Evening's Freshness Reaction
Do not replace until after combat.
Usable only by a tapped vampire. This vampire can play reaction cards and
attempt to block as though untapped until the current action is concluded.

From this, I do not get that the vampire _must_ attempt to block, or
_must_ play a reaction card; only that it is now possible where before it
was not. Have I 4 tapped vampires and 4 wakes in my hand, I can burn all
these wakes on a single action and choose to do nothing. The use of the
wake allows me options where before I had none - not force actions where
before I could do nothing.

Since an untapped vampire may decline to block, I do not see any reason
why a WWEF'd vampire should not be allowed the same choice.

(Not that I necessarily _agree_ with this wording, but it is what the
card says, IMHO. As Curt said - it makes it awfully hard to compete if
one doesn't have a mittful of Wakes...)

Shane H.W. Travis | I try to take one day at a time,
tra...@duke.usask.ca | but sometimes several days attack at once.
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan | -- Ashleigh Brilliant

The Corrupter

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
In article <49hnl6$8...@acmey.gatech.edu>, dsa...@prism.gatech.edu
(Stuart J. Pieloch) wrote:
[...playing a wakey to block...]

> It worked cause I drew the int that I needed to stop my predator
> from calling that damnebly KRC that would've killed me and
> probably allowed him to oust my prey at the time immediately
> following the vote. ( like one blood left in his pool after that vote)

How did you draw intercept if you cannot redraw a wake with evening's
freshness?

> So is this legal or not?
> I can see no reason for it to not be?

I'm not clear on what happened. Can you re-explain? Thanks.

rit...@cruzio.com

Dec 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/3/95
In article <49hnl6$8...@acmey.gatech.edu>, dsa...@prism.gatech.edu (Stuart J. Pieloch) writes:

> kw...@cs.cornell.edu (Alan Kwan) writes:
> >>On a slight side note, it is possible to wake and do nothing or wake and
> >>have another minion block, if only to cycle cards.
>
> >Note that although this is popularly accepted and perhaps "official",
> >it is in contradiction to the rules (at least in Jyhad): the Jyhad
> >rules mentioned that you cannot attempt to block unless you play
> >sufficient intercept to begin with.
>
> I believe that the idea is
> if I am trying to burn through my hand to come up with that
> stealth card that I know is coming and will allow me to bleed
> my prey out, I will play a wakey whenever possible just to
> get it out of my hand. I have played wakey's in reaction to
> my Grandprey's actions cause I could and wanted to get then out of my hand.
>
> It worked cause I drew the int that I needed to stop my predator
> from calling that damnebly KRC that would've killed me and
> probably allowed him to oust my prey at the time immediately
> following the vote. ( like one blood left in his pool after that vote)
>
> So is this legal or not?
> I can see no reason for it to not be?

Sure. Wake just says that said tapped vampire `can' play reactions and
block as if it were untapped. It doesn't require you to do so any more than
being untapped forces your hand in such a stiuation. The point is that the
effect of the Wake (that you act for a time as if you were untapped) is an
effect, appart from blocking or playing reactions.
Wake can be played at any time that you have a tapped minion and
someone is performing an action.

> >Alan Kwan kw...@cs.cornell.edu
>
> Stu
> --
> "He said: 'Continue. Take my people back...to the stars'"
> -- Londo (re: Centauri Emperor's last words),
> "The Coming of Shadows"

Ritaxis