LSJ- Just the Press

XZealot

Mar 6, 2007, 9:59:41 PM3/6/07
If Beast with an Animalism skill card on him rushes someone plays
Immortal Grapple, and hits someone for hand then when the press step
comes around, then can he use the press from an Aide from Bats card in
his hand, if he needed it?

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp

LSJ

Mar 6, 2007, 10:07:39 PM3/6/07
XZealot wrote:
> If Beast with an Animalism skill card on him rushes someone plays
> Immortal Grapple, and hits someone for hand then when the press step
> comes around, then can he use the press from an Aide from Bats card in
> his hand, if he needed it?

No. Aid From Bats is a strike card.
Beast and Immortal Grapple do not factor in that answer.

Jeff Kuta

Mar 7, 2007, 12:43:54 AM3/7/07

Ok. Suppose you use Bats at ANI but get caught under a Grapple anyway
after additional maneuvers. Do you get the press then?

Jeff

Slytherin

Mar 7, 2007, 3:33:39 AM3/7/07

IANLSJ, but I would say no.

Card text

Name: Aid from Bats
[Jyhad:C, VTES:C, CE:C/PN3, Anarchs:PG2, Third:C]
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Animalism
[ani] Strike: 1R damage, with an optional maneuver.
[ANI] As above, with an optional press.
Artist: Melissa Benson

The card is a strike. If the strike is cancelled in some way, then
whatever is left as text rom that strike should be cancelled also.

However, as I stated IANLSJ.

Andy
VEKN Setite Ruler of Cambridge

Bram Vink

Mar 7, 2007, 4:02:35 AM3/7/07

Nice question, and since I was lazy I didn't google too hard for an
answer.

I'd say you gain the press as soon as you play the card. So if you
have maneuvered with it, you've gained your optional press. That you
have to forego striking because you have committed to a restricted
strike doesn't affect the press already gained. You still have played
this card, and have gained the press already. No retroactive changing
of that.

That'd be my guess.

Cheers,

Bram Vink

Mar 7, 2007, 4:15:27 AM3/7/07
On 7 mrt, 10:02, "Bram Vink" <jja.v...@hccnet.nl> wrote:
> On 7 mrt, 06:43, "Jeff Kuta" <jeff.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No.Aid From Batsis a strike card.

> > > Beast and Immortal Grapple do not factor in that answer.
>
> > Ok. Suppose you use Bats at ANI but get caught under a Grapple anyway
> > after additional maneuvers. Do you get thepressthen?
>
> > Jeff
>
> Nice question, and since I was lazy I didn't google too hard for an
> answer.
>
> I'd say you gain thepressas soon as you play the card. So if you
> have maneuvered with it, you've gained your optionalpress. That you

> have to forego striking because you have committed to a restricted
> strike doesn't affect thepressalready gained. You still have played

> this card, and have gained the press already. No retroactive changing
> of that.
>
> That'd be my guess.
>
> Cheers,

However, one could also argue, of course:

The strike doesn't resolve, and any further effects never come to
bear.

This is the case with kraken's kiss etc. However, the question is when
the press is gained. I'd assume it's in the maneuvering step, when you
play the card. It's quite likely, however, that the post-strike
effects of a strike card, no matter if it has any pre-strike effects,
are gained at resolution of the strike, as per strike cards that do
not have pre-strike effects.

On second thought I'll have to agree with Andy up there, that that's
the more likely option.

Cheers,

LSJ

Mar 7, 2007, 6:42:09 AM3/7/07

Correct.
If the Aid from Bats is not canceled as it is played, then Beast gets an
optional press during the press step of that round.

CthuluKitty

Mar 7, 2007, 2:09:17 PM3/7/07
> If Beast with an Animalism skill card on him rushes someone plays
> Immortal Grapple, and hits someone for hand then when the press step
> comes around, then can he use the press from an Aide from Bats card in
> his hand, if he needed it?

Seriously now. How long have you been playing this game?

Jeff Kuta

Mar 7, 2007, 3:15:55 PM3/7/07

Kraken's Kiss is slightly different though. It is a strength-based
ranged strike which is not usable under a Grapple. So the "further
effects" is moot under a Grapple since it can't be played.

> However, the question is when
> the press is gained. I'd assume it's in the maneuvering step, when you
> play the card. It's quite likely, however, that the post-strike
> effects of a strike card, no matter if it has any pre-strike effects,
> are gained at resolution of the strike, as per strike cards that do
> not have pre-strike effects.
>
> On second thought I'll have to agree with Andy up there, that that's
> the more likely option.
>
> Cheers,

Looks like you were right after all. Hooray for Bats! I have a feeling
there have been many ANI players who have lost vampires at close range
because they thought they couldn't press out under a Grapple after
their Bats strike fizzled. And both these cards were in the original
set!

Jeff