[LSJ] Political Struggle: A Quaint Query

6 vues

Mike Ooi

non lue,
9 août 2001, 03:08:1809/08/2001
Dear wonderful L-S-D (sorry) J,

I have a brief question concerning the beloved card, Political Struggle.

Card Text:

This is a +1 stealth action. (D) Put this card on a ready vampire. The
acting vampire may enter combat with the vampire with this card as a +1
stealth (D) action. If the vampire with this card is burned or sent into
torpor, the acting vampire gains X votes, where X is the number of
non-contested votes the vampire with this card has; burn this card
afterwards.

Clarifications and Rulings:

The acting vampire gains X votes if the vampire with this card is burned, no
matter how that vampire is burned (including, for example, if his controller
is ousted). [LSJ 19990119]

Does the lack of a restriction on how the vampire with this card is burned
also carry over to how they enter the blissful nightmare known as torpor?
Please say yes.

-Let us enter this into an imaginative fray-

Cameron, naughty little Lasombra that he is, places this card on Stanislava,
the lovely Gangrel creature controlled by my grand-prey. My grand prey,
filthy bastard that he is, is playing a Stanislava Loves the Daylight-Turns
Over Rapidly In Her Sleep Deck. During his turn, Stanislava plays a Day
Operation and she enters torpor. Does Cameron now command 4 votes, more
votes than Gratiano can shake a shadowy stick at? Please say yes.

Suppose Cameron AND Aaron Dugan, that little scamp, have both played
different copies of Political Struggle on Stanislava. On my grand prey's
turn, Stanislava greets the sun and enters torpor. Do Cameron AND Aaron
Dugan now command 4 votes each? Please say yes.

What if Cameron was feeling randy and placed a Political Struggle on my own
Moncada? And Moncada, fat bastard that he is, decides to get Disarmed and
enters torpor. Does Cameron now command 3 votes? Although Cameron cannot use
the rush action of the card while I control Moncada, can he play it on
Moncada in the first place, considering the action to place the card does
not make me enter combat with the minion at the time it is played? Please
say that only I can do this.

Cameron is a busy little vampire. He places a Political Struggle on
(grandprey's)Stanislava, she enters torpor, he gets 4 votes, places another
copy on Stanislava, she enters torpor again, he gets 4 votes...Can this
chain of events occur in this dimension of space-time? Wouldn't it be nasty?
Little Cameron with 20 votes?

Can Cameron play this card on Jeff Thompson? How many votes does he get if
Jeff goes to torpor?

Can we reprint this card in the next expansion, only changing the clan
requirement to Malkavian?

I appreciate the calories expended by you to search through this infernal
drivel in an attempt to shed glorious radiant beams of knowledge on the
dark, dark, ignorance of my feeble existence.

Thanks,

Mike Ooi
P.S. (in the voice of little Ralph, the Simpson's Character) I'm a Prince!

James Coupe

non lue,
9 août 2001, 03:21:0109/08/2001
In message <CFqc7.4923$rb.1...@news5.aus1.giganews.com>, Mike Ooi
<sh...@texas.net> writes

>Dear wonderful L-S-D (sorry) J,

Shush, you bad, bad man.

(It all seems legal, though Lasombra might object to having cards stuck
to him.)

Hmm.... get baby Lasombra to generate several Political Struggles on a
vampire with votes, then get them to Sunrise Service themself into
torpor for squillions of votes.

--
James Coupe PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D
EBD690ECD7A1F

LSJ

non lue,
9 août 2001, 06:30:1909/08/2001
Mike Ooi wrote:

> Dear wonderful L-S-D (sorry) J,
>
> I have a brief question concerning the beloved card, Political Struggle.
>
> Card Text:
>
> This is a +1 stealth action. (D) Put this card on a ready vampire. The
> acting vampire may enter combat with the vampire with this card as a +1
> stealth (D) action. If the vampire with this card is burned or sent into
> torpor, the acting vampire gains X votes, where X is the number of
> non-contested votes the vampire with this card has; burn this card
> afterwards.
>
> Clarifications and Rulings:
>
> The acting vampire gains X votes if the vampire with this card is burned, no
> matter how that vampire is burned (including, for example, if his controller
> is ousted). [LSJ 19990119]
>
> Does the lack of a restriction on how the vampire with this card is burned
> also carry over to how they enter the blissful nightmare known as torpor?
> Please say yes.

Yes. He gains votes no matter how the victim is sent to torpor.

> -Let us enter this into an imaginative fray-
>
> Cameron, naughty little Lasombra that he is, places this card on Stanislava,
> the lovely Gangrel creature controlled by my grand-prey. My grand prey,
> filthy bastard that he is, is playing a Stanislava Loves the Daylight-Turns
> Over Rapidly In Her Sleep Deck. During his turn, Stanislava plays a Day
> Operation and she enters torpor. Does Cameron now command 4 votes, more
> votes than Gratiano can shake a shadowy stick at? Please say yes.

Yes.

> Suppose Cameron AND Aaron Dugan, that little scamp, have both played
> different copies of Political Struggle on Stanislava. On my grand prey's
> turn, Stanislava greets the sun and enters torpor. Do Cameron AND Aaron
> Dugan now command 4 votes each? Please say yes.

Yes.

> What if Cameron was feeling randy and placed a Political Struggle on my own
> Moncada? And Moncada, fat bastard that he is, decides to get Disarmed and
> enters torpor. Does Cameron now command 3 votes? Although Cameron cannot use
> the rush action of the card while I control Moncada, can he play it on
> Moncada in the first place, considering the action to place the card does
> not make me enter combat with the minion at the time it is played? Please
> say that only I can do this.

The action to place it on Moncada costs an additional pool, but yes.
Cameron can use the rush action and it would cost an additional pool as well.

> Cameron is a busy little vampire. He places a Political Struggle on
> (grandprey's)Stanislava, she enters torpor, he gets 4 votes, places another
> copy on Stanislava, she enters torpor again, he gets 4 votes...Can this
> chain of events occur in this dimension of space-time? Wouldn't it be nasty?
> Little Cameron with 20 votes?

Yes.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

The Nosferatu Stuff

non lue,
9 août 2001, 08:24:3309/08/2001
"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

> > What if Cameron was feeling randy and placed a Political Struggle on my
own
> > Moncada? And Moncada, fat bastard that he is, decides to get Disarmed
and
> > enters torpor. Does Cameron now command 3 votes? Although Cameron cannot
use
> > the rush action of the card while I control Moncada, can he play it on
> > Moncada in the first place, considering the action to place the card
does
> > not make me enter combat with the minion at the time it is played?
Please
> > say that only I can do this.
>
> The action to place it on Moncada costs an additional pool, but yes.
> Cameron can use the rush action and it would cost an additional pool as
well.

Shouldn't this be "Cameron can NOT use the rush? As in the example all the
vampires are controlled by the same player? ("on my OWN Moncada?")

Aaron

hamdamcwa

non lue,
9 août 2001, 09:40:1509/08/2001
> > What if Cameron was feeling randy and placed a Political Struggle on my own
> > Moncada? And Moncada, fat bastard that he is, decides to get Disarmed and
> > enters torpor. Does Cameron now command 3 votes? Although Cameron cannot use
> > the rush action of the card while I control Moncada, can he play it on
> > Moncada in the first place, considering the action to place the card does
> > not make me enter combat with the minion at the time it is played? Please
> > say that only I can do this.
>
> The action to place it on Moncada costs an additional pool, but yes.
> Cameron can use the rush action and it would cost an additional pool as well.

Oh, sweet jesus no!

You can play it on your own Moncada! The vampire with 3 votes and
fortitude...

So, any old Lasombra plays Political Struggle on their own Moncada.
Moncada then untaps the Lasombra as is his special. Moncada bleeds
using Day Op. Lasombra X gets his votes.

Moncada Freak Drives and gets himself out. 6 votes on the table and
Lasombra X calls a KRC or other such filthy vote...

Repeat 3 times and have abuse hurled at you as you get the vote lock
you know and love...

Not bad for 3 or 4 cards.

Maybe Minor Boon would be worth packing now...

DH

hamdamcwa

non lue,
9 août 2001, 09:43:3909/08/2001
LS

> > What if Cameron was feeling randy and placed a Political Struggle on my own
> > Moncada? And Moncada, fat bastard that he is, decides to get Disarmed and
> > enters torpor. Does Cameron now command 3 votes? Although Cameron cannot use
> > the rush action of the card while I control Moncada, can he play it on
> > Moncada in the first place, considering the action to place the card does
> > not make me enter combat with the minion at the time it is played? Please
> > say that only I can do this.
>
> The action to place it on Moncada costs an additional pool, but yes.
> Cameron can use the rush action and it would cost an additional pool as well.

Hang on, Political Struggle is a D action. I thought you couldn't D
action your own dudes?

DH

LSJ

non lue,
9 août 2001, 10:13:1009/08/2001

Missed that. Yes.
(Unless Moncada or Cameron were stolen, of course).

Sorry.

LSJ

non lue,
9 août 2001, 10:14:1209/08/2001

It is not a (D)irected action if the target is one you control - it's then
just an undirected action. See [6.2.2.2] for clarification.

Joshua Duffin

non lue,
9 août 2001, 10:51:5509/08/2001
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3B72663B...@white-wolf.com>...
> Mike Ooi wrote:

> > What if Cameron was feeling randy and placed a Political Struggle on my own
> > Moncada? And Moncada, fat bastard that he is, decides to get Disarmed and
> > enters torpor. Does Cameron now command 3 votes? Although Cameron cannot use
> > the rush action of the card while I control Moncada, can he play it on
> > Moncada in the first place, considering the action to place the card does
> > not make me enter combat with the minion at the time it is played? Please
> > say that only I can do this.
>
> The action to place it on Moncada costs an additional pool, but yes.
> Cameron can use the rush action and it would cost an additional pool as well.

In the example, Cameron and Moncada have the same controller. Can
Cameron actually use the rush action, and combat ends as soon as it
starts (since the minions have the same controller), or is he
prohibited from taking the rush action at all? ([6.4]: "...your
minions cannot enter combat with any of your other minions.")

Josh

sightseeing?
no... combat.

Noal McDonald

non lue,
9 août 2001, 12:04:3209/08/2001
>> Mike Ooi wrote:
>> Athough Cameron cannot use the rush action of the card while I

control
>> Moncada, can he play it on Moncada in the first place, considering
the
>> action to place the card does not make me enter combat with the
minion
>> at the time it is played?
>
> LSJ wrote:
> The action to place it on Moncada costs an additional pool, but yes.
> Cameron can use the rush action and it would cost an additional pool as well.

???

I thought that, per [6.4. Combat], "...your minions cannot enter
combat with any of your other minions," Cameron caanot beat up Moncada
unless he goes to play for another team. I assume that's what you
meant. If not...

In that case, can Moncada (for an additional pool) play Political
Struggle on himself? Will he get 3 more votes if he delivers a Sunrise
Service? Can he beat himself up? If so, (which I strongly doubt) may I
call the resulting deck, "The Three Stooges?"

With giggles and regards,
Noal

Halcyan 2

non lue,
9 août 2001, 14:59:0609/08/2001
>???
>
>I thought that, per [6.4. Combat], "...your minions cannot enter
>combat with any of your other minions," Cameron caanot beat up Moncada
>unless he goes to play for another team. I assume that's what you
>meant. If not...
>
>In that case, can Moncada (for an additional pool) play Political
>Struggle on himself? Will he get 3 more votes if he delivers a Sunrise
>Service? Can he beat himself up? If so, (which I strongly doubt) may I
>call the resulting deck, "The Three Stooges?"

And the worst part is that each time Moncada does this, he gains more and more
votes (since Political Struggle is dependant on "the number of non-contested
votes the vampire with this card has").

So Moncada initially has 3 votes (Cardinal). He Political Struggles himself,
goes to torpor, and now has 3+3=6 votes. Next time, he Political Struggles
himself and goes to torpor, he gains another 6 votes for a total of 12. Then 24
votes, etc, etc. Who needs Princes or Archbishops anymore when you can gain
votes so easily! (Of course this costs pool to target Moncada, but you could do
similar things with Angelica and a Fortitude card).

Just to make sure, you can modify the Political Struggle with a Day Operation
to gain the votes quickly right? So I bring out Angelica. Next turn I place a
Fortitude card on her. She Political Struggles modified with a Day Op and since
the Day Op puts her in torpor after the PS, she instantly gains the free votes.
Have someone rescue her. And next turn she PS + Day Op again to literally
double her votes, right?

Halcyan 2

James Coupe

non lue,
9 août 2001, 15:16:1209/08/2001
In message <20010809145906...@ng-fe1.aol.com>, Halcyan 2
<halc...@aol.com> writes

>And the worst part is that each time Moncada does this, he gains more and more
>votes (since Political Struggle is dependant on "the number of non-contested
>votes the vampire with this card has").

*snippety snip*

There's a case for arguing Political Struggle should be altered to "a
ready vampire controlled by another Methuselah" under the whole (D)
action re-write, Goth Band, Darius Styx, Powerbase: Mexico rulings type
thing.

(And I would expect to see something like that happen.)

LSJ

non lue,
9 août 2001, 15:20:0109/08/2001
Halcyan 2 wrote:
> Just to make sure, you can modify the Political Struggle with a Day Operation
> to gain the votes quickly right? So I bring out Angelica. Next turn I place a
> Fortitude card on her. She Political Struggles modified with a Day Op and since
> the Day Op puts her in torpor after the PS, she instantly gains the free votes.
> Have someone rescue her. And next turn she PS + Day Op again to literally
> double her votes, right?

Right.

Mike Ooi

non lue,
9 août 2001, 15:28:4209/08/2001

"James Coupe" <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote in message

> There's a case for arguing Political Struggle should be altered to "a
> ready vampire controlled by another Methuselah" under the whole (D)
> action re-write, Goth Band, Darius Styx, Powerbase: Mexico rulings type
> thing.
>
> (And I would expect to see something like that happen.)

Haha no, stinky. Read ze LSJ post, you dirty Pogue lover.

Mike

LSJ

non lue,
9 août 2001, 15:29:3209/08/2001

Oh, it's already on the RT list for review (it came up earlier via
email). Rest easy there.

Matt Latham

non lue,
9 août 2001, 15:41:5809/08/2001
> Haha no, stinky. Read ze LSJ post, you dirty Pogue lover.
>
> Mike

Look Pal, if loving the Pogues is wrong, I don't want to be right. The best
concert I ever attended was the Pogues at St. Andrews Hall for the Pogues
Mahone album. If you haven't heard Oretown live you havn't truly lived...

:)

Matt
"A curse upon you Oliver Cromwell
You who raped our motherland
I hope you're rotting down in hell
For the horrors that you sent
To our misfortunate forefathers
Whom you robbed of their birthright
'To hell or Connaught' may you burn in hell tonight..."

Noal McDonald

non lue,
9 août 2001, 17:07:1109/08/2001
halc...@aol.com (Halcyan 2) wrote:
> So Moncada initially has 3 votes (Cardinal). He Political Struggles himself,
> goes to torpor, and now has 3+3=6 votes. Next time, he Political Struggles
> himself and goes to torpor, he gains another 6 votes for a total of 12. Then
> 24 votes, etc, etc.

*laughs until tears stream down my face*

Oh, that's a hoot! Great idea!

Now my playgroup won't know which obscene Lasombra deck I'm
playing...the one that does Potence pre-range weight lifting/Thoughts
Betrayed/Shadow Strike/Taste of Vitae/Shadow Strike/Taste of
Vitae/Sha... deck or something based on this monstrosity! Lasombra
voting has never been this much fun!

Regards,
Noal

Noal McDonald

non lue,
9 août 2001, 19:01:3909/08/2001
LSJ wrote:
>>> There's a case for arguing Political Struggle should be altered to "a
>>> ready vampire controlled by another Methuselah" under the whole (D)
>>> action re-write, Goth Band, Darius Styx, Powerbase: Mexico rulings type
>>> thing.
>
> Oh, it's already on the RT list for review (it came up earlier via
> email). Rest easy there.

Noooooooooo!!!! It's not unbalanced and it's lots of fun!

Seriously though, just because it's an extreme corner case that takes
advantage of the wording (and none of us _ever_ do that...) doesn't it
warrants a text change. In terms of game balance, I don't see how it's
any worse than Awe/Voter Cap. It takes several actions, bouncing the guy
in and out of torpor, which makes the Lasombra _very_ vulnerable to Fame
and/or diablerie...neither of which the A/VC combo is vulnerable to.
Besides which, all those votes on one vampire can be brutally used
against you with an Elder Kindred Network/Kindred Coercion combo.

Nothing to review here. Move along. *grin*

Regards,
Noal

James Coupe

non lue,
9 août 2001, 19:08:4709/08/2001
In message <3B731653...@none-of-your-fscking-business.com>, Noal
McDonald <dhar...@none-of-your-fscking-business.com> writes

>Seriously though, just because it's an extreme corner case that takes
>advantage of the wording (and none of us _ever_ do that...) doesn't it
>warrants a text change. In terms of game balance, I don't see how it's
>any worse than Awe/Voter Cap.

You can't Awe in someone else's referendum or in a Blood Hunt
referendum, for one thing.

Awe is great at letting you get things done. It's terrible at stopping
other people, in and of itself, however.

Matt Latham

non lue,
10 août 2001, 08:30:2010/08/2001

"Noal McDonald" <dhar...@none-of-your-fscking-business.com> wrote in
message news:3B731653...@none-of-your-fscking-business.com...

> > Oh, it's already on the RT list for review (it came up earlier via
> > email). Rest easy there.
>
> Noooooooooo!!!! It's not unbalanced and it's lots of fun!

Noal, buddy.....

Its completely against the "spirit" of the card. Moncada is not a Malkavian.
Why should he gain status in the Sabbat (ie votes) by beating himself in and
out of torpor???

Matt

Noal McDonald

non lue,
10 août 2001, 10:14:1710/08/2001
>> Noal McDonald <dhar...@none-of-your-fscking-business.com> writes:
>> Seriously though, just because it's an extreme corner case that
takes
>> advantage of the wording (and none of us _ever_ do that...) doesn't
it
>> warrants a text change. In terms of game balance, I don't see how
it's
>> any worse than Awe/Voter Cap.
>
> James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:
> You can't Awe in someone else's referendum or in a Blood Hunt
> referendum, for one thing. Awe is great at letting you get things
> done. It's terrible at stopping other people, in and of itself,
> however.

True, both have their downsides. Awe/Voter Cap doesn't leave you empty
of blood (which repeated rescuing a vampire from torpor will do),
doesn't require several actions that could be used to actually call a
vote, doesn't bounce the vampire in and out of torpor (remember Fame
is getting frequently used these days), and doesn't put a lasting
"Kick Me" sign on a single vampire.

Personally, I don't think this corner case is unbalanced in any way.
It's just damned funny. As you are no doubt aware, there are many
combos in VTES that appear wose than they really are. I'd wait to see
if someone can break it before spending any time on it.

Regards,
Noal

Pat Ricochet

non lue,
10 août 2001, 13:59:3010/08/2001
[regarding Political Struggle on yourself]

> Personally, I don't think this corner case is unbalanced in any way.
> It's just damned funny. As you are no doubt aware, there are many
> combos in VTES that appear wose than they really are. I'd wait to see
> if someone can break it before spending any time on it.

Hear, hear! I'd like to see this "broken deck" before trying to a
priori neuter the silly combo. And, I trust the RT to do the same, "spirit
of the card" or not (heck, they just confirmed you could taste the blood at
long range from Carrion Crows...an archetypal "unintuitive" result that
makes a card strong, but not unbalanced).

--
Pat Ricochet
Soul Jar'rn Fool of Atlanta

jeroen rombouts

non lue,
10 août 2001, 13:26:5910/08/2001

> Seriously though, just because it's an extreme corner case that takes
> advantage of the wording (and none of us _ever_ do that...) doesn't it
> warrants a text change. In terms of game balance, I don't see how it's
> any worse than Awe/Voter Cap. It takes several actions, bouncing the guy
> in and out of torpor, which makes the Lasombra _very_ vulnerable to Fame
> and/or diablerie...neither of which the A/VC combo is vulnerable to.

You can't put Rufina in play and then play Island of Yaros in the case of an
A/VC combo. (You could, but it isn't really effective.=)

> Besides which, all those votes on one vampire can be brutally used
> against you with an Elder Kindred Network/Kindred Coercion combo.

It's even more effective against A/VC: EKN/KC are reactions and A/VC are
only playable as action mods. OTOH, the collected votes on Monçada are
effective all the time.

Maybe, you could combine the two: a Ventrue/Lasombra deck with both Island
of Yaros (great deterrent if Monçada has 6+votes AND potence) and
permantents that can be voted away (say, multiple Anarch Revolt).

Xian

non lue,
10 août 2001, 17:45:3710/08/2001

"Pat Ricochet" <sp...@socrates.gatech.edu> wrote in message

> Hear, hear! I'd like to see this "broken deck" before trying to
> priori neuter the silly combo. And, I trust the RT to do the same,
"spirit

Gimme a little bit. I believe I was the person that asked LSJ about
it. Sadly, only *just* before Mike brought it up.

Still, bring out Arika/Stanislava, multi-weenie Politically Struggle
her (Cameron, Aaron Duggan, Guido, Ignacio), have her perform a Day Op
action...you have vote lock for the rest of the game, for all intents
and purposes. Not too hard to do. Hell, she can even GtU virtually
all of them out.

Xian

Raille

non lue,
10 août 2001, 19:38:2310/08/2001

Matt Latham wrote:

> > Haha no, stinky. Read ze LSJ post, you dirty Pogue lover.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Look Pal, if loving the Pogues is wrong, I don't want to be right. The best
> concert I ever attended was the Pogues at St. Andrews Hall for the Pogues
> Mahone album. If you haven't heard Oretown live you havn't truly lived...
>
> :)

Pogue is not Pogues.

Raille

Raille

non lue,
10 août 2001, 19:40:0110/08/2001

Well it kind of parallels the books with Moncada beating him self silly.

Raille

OM

non lue,
10 août 2001, 19:51:0410/08/2001
Sorry if this has been addressed, but the Sabbat War version of
Political Struggle says:

"+1 stealth action D: Put this card on a ready vampire controlled by
*ANOTHER* Methuselah."

With that text there, I don't see how the "broken" combos or deck
ideas above are even possible. If I'm missing something, please let
me know, I'd love to find a way to make the Lasombra more viable in my
group's weenie environment. Thanks,

John Bell

Derek Ray

non lue,
11 août 2001, 02:53:0011/08/2001
"Xian" <xi...@NOSPAMwaste.org> wrote in news:GGYc7.175$pP.446053
@news.uswest.net:

> "Pat Ricochet" <sp...@socrates.gatech.edu> wrote in message
>> Hear, hear! I'd like to see this "broken deck" before trying to a
>> priori neuter the silly combo. And, I trust the RT to do the
>> same, "spirit
>
> Gimme a little bit. I believe I was the person that asked LSJ about
> it. Sadly, only *just* before Mike brought it up.

It's kind of getting ugly, actually. I'm having thoughts.

> Still, bring out Arika/Stanislava, multi-weenie Politically Struggle
> her (Cameron, Aaron Duggan, Guido, Ignacio), have her perform a Day Op
> action...you have vote lock for the rest of the game, for all intents
> and purposes. Not too hard to do. Hell, she can even GtU virtually
> all of them out.

Easier than that. As someone else pointed out; Use Moncada. Have him
perform the Political Struggle action with Day Op. The action succeeds,
the Struggle goes on Moncada, and he goes to torpor AFTER the action; now
he has six votes in torpor. He plays Freak Drive (the action was
successful so inferior FOR is OK), and rescues self from torpor. Use
Obtenebration stealth as necessary to get around pesky intercept; one
Shadow Play should do it for the +3 stealth.

Save up your next PS/Day Op/Freak Drive for awhile. If anyone threatens
your vote lock, run the three-card combo *AGAIN*; now you have 12 votes.
All you need are some spare minions to actually call your damaging votes,
and you should be in great shape. I recommend either PRE weenies so they
can play Voter Cap at superior on each vote, or Lasombra weenies so you can
call one Consanguineous Boon per turn. Moncada can always spend his blood
making Embraces after he hits torpor the first time.

What worries me is that you only need to do it TWICE to obtain 12 votes,
and barring Direct Intervention, there's only three cards and one point of
attack to break the combo; the rescue-self action. The turbo-Arika deck
had multiple points of attack; block the Praxis: Berlin, block the
Distraction when he got hand-jammed, Deflect the bleed, Delaying Tactics
the Praxis: Berlin... All of these were effective. But this deck has only
one weak point. (Kindred Coercion is cute, but you need another 10-cap...
rare to see.)

Mike Ooi

non lue,
11 août 2001, 03:36:5811/08/2001

"OM" <webm...@spectrumdesigns.cc> wrote in message

> Sorry if this has been addressed, but the Sabbat War version of
> Political Struggle says:
>
> "+1 stealth action D: Put this card on a ready vampire controlled by
> *ANOTHER* Methuselah."

Aha! Ethan Burrow has pulled a sneaky one. For the original post I used the
text from Monger without actually looking at my cards. Now I see he has
updated Monger without any sort of "Whoops Mrs. Miggins, You're Sitting On
My Artichokes!" apology to this, our forum of fanatical fascists. May his
Inbox be filled with Spite.

> With that text there, I don't see how the "broken" combos or deck
> ideas above are even possible. If I'm missing something, please let
> me know, I'd love to find a way to make the Lasombra more viable in my
> group's weenie environment. Thanks,
>
> John Bell

Obviously, my dear John, you have never seen Jeff Thompson, aka the
Lasombra, apply a dab of "White-Out" to troublesome card text. The trick is
to dye it to match the card color.

So my question now is this: Why is this being reviewed by the rules team?
Unless they are upset because LSJ agreed to the following below:

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

> > What if Cameron was feeling randy and placed a Political Struggle on my

own
> > Moncada? And Moncada, fat bastard that he is, decides to get Disarmed
and

> > enters torpor. Does Cameron now command 3 votes? Although Cameron cannot

use
> > the rush action of the card while I control Moncada, can he play it on
> > Moncada in the first place, considering the action to place the card
does
> > not make me enter combat with the minion at the time it is played?

[reformatted to add emphasis]

> > Please say that only I can do this.
>

> The action to place it on Moncada costs an additional pool, but yes.
> Cameron can use the rush action and it would cost an additional pool as
well.

Apparently, only I, Mike Ooi, can legally do this. Apparently, I can also
enter combat with my own minions as well, AND THAT'S WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT,
ISN'T IT?

So, to wrap this up, other V:TES players must abide by card text. I, Mike
Ooi, greatest living (insane) V:TES player, can do the above. So, really,
the rules team is just jealous. Well, to quote William Gibson, they can all
"Lick a dog's ass until it bleeds."

Mike Ooi
Prince of Houston
Get to play by my own rules -Thhhpppt!

Mike Ooi

non lue,
11 août 2001, 03:39:2311/08/2001

"Derek Ray" <lor...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> It's kind of getting ugly, actually. I'm having thoughts.

Don't do that Derek. It wouldn't be prudent.

Actually, this is all because Ethan Burrow hadn't updated Monger. See
another one of my posts on this thread to see what happened.

Mike

LSJ

non lue,
11 août 2001, 08:24:1311/08/2001
Mike Ooi wrote:

> "OM" <webm...@spectrumdesigns.cc> wrote in message
> > Sorry if this has been addressed, but the Sabbat War version of
> > Political Struggle says:
> >
> > "+1 stealth action D: Put this card on a ready vampire controlled by
> > *ANOTHER* Methuselah."
>
> Aha! Ethan Burrow has pulled a sneaky one. For the original post I used the
> text from Monger without actually looking at my cards. Now I see he has
> updated Monger without any sort of "Whoops Mrs. Miggins, You're Sitting On
> My Artichokes!" apology to this, our forum of fanatical fascists. May his
> Inbox be filled with Spite.

Well, the WW spoiler list is incorrect in the same manner, so I wouldn't
place the blame with Ethan.

I'll update the spoiler list.

Apologies for the confusion.

Derek Ray

non lue,
11 août 2001, 10:39:5211/08/2001
"Mike Ooi" <sh...@texas.net> wrote in news:Li5d7.148930$Cu6.11978854
@bin3.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com:

Not just THAT, either. I was using the text from ELDB, which also has just
the Sabbat card text instead of the Sabbat War. Upon looking at the actual
card, it does specify "another Methuselah"; loophole solved. Bad case of
massive electronic typo-us.

Xian

non lue,
11 août 2001, 11:55:2211/08/2001

"Derek Ray" <lor...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

[snip stuff, note that SW text disallows all this]

> Easier than that. As someone else pointed out; Use Moncada. Have
him

I thought Arika was better because she's got 4 votes, and doesn't cost
1 pool for each Political Struggle.

> perform the Political Struggle action with Day Op. The action
succeeds,
> the Struggle goes on Moncada, and he goes to torpor AFTER the
action; now

Though placing it on himself is pretty funny.

> What worries me is that you only need to do it TWICE to obtain 12
votes,
> and barring Direct Intervention, there's only three cards and one
point of

Nice. :)

> attack to break the combo; the rescue-self action. The turbo-Arika
deck
> had multiple points of attack; block the Praxis: Berlin, block the
> Distraction when he got hand-jammed, Deflect the bleed, Delaying
Tactics
> the Praxis: Berlin... All of these were effective. But this deck
has only
> one weak point. (Kindred Coercion is cute, but you need another
10-cap...
> rare to see.)

I still like the multi-weenies angle. 4 vampires would have placed it
on Arika, gain 4 votes each when she goes down, rescue her, and you've
got 20 votes on the table at the cost of 5 actions or so. Fun.

Xian

Mike Ooi

non lue,
11 août 2001, 13:32:2411/08/2001

> Well, the WW spoiler list is incorrect in the same manner, so I wouldn't
> place the blame with Ethan.

Still more fun to blame Ethan.

Mike

James Coupe

non lue,
11 août 2001, 14:25:1111/08/2001
In message <I_dd7.155815$Cu6.12...@bin3.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>, Mike
Ooi <sh...@texas.net> writes

>> Well, the WW spoiler list is incorrect in the same manner, so I wouldn't
>> place the blame with Ethan.
>
>Still more fun to blame Ethan.

Have Ethan and LSJ been seen in the same place?

Jason Bell

non lue,
12 août 2001, 05:13:2712/08/2001

"Mike Ooi" <sh...@texas.net> wrote

> So, really,
> the rules team is just jealous. Well, to quote William Gibson, they can
all

> "Lick a dog's a** until it bleeds."

"Simple: he's been licking his a**hole for the last three straight hours.
I submit to you that there is nothing there worth more than an hour's
attention,
and I should think that whatever he is attempting to dislodge is either gone
for
good... or there to stay." - Dr Nathan Waldman, The Long Kiss Goodnight

- Jason Bell

0 nouveau message