Weather Cintroontrol Q

Robert Granat

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

When exactly does Weather Control deal its damage?

For example, what if combat is ended by Mariel or Elysium: The Arboretum?
Both effects are "before range." Does one have precedence?

What if the combat occurs under influence of dawn op? Is the damage from
Weather Control aggravated (even though the damage from say, Mariel, is not)?

--
Robert Granat
Lackey of the Schnitzel Industry

Robert Goudie

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

In article <63vlmg$1...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>,

rag...@ugcs.caltech.edu (Robert Granat) wrote:

> When exactly does Weather Control deal its damage?
>
> For example, what if combat is ended by Mariel or Elysium: The Arboretum?
> Both effects are "before range." Does one have precedence?

Mariel or the Elysium can do their thing anytime before range is
determined while the Weather Control must be played at the beginning of
combat. Playing weather control sets up an effect that will deal its
damage just before range is determined. So, if Mariel or the Elysium end
the combat the Weather Control will not have any effect. LSJ should
chime in here though 'cause I'm not 100% sure of this one.

> What if the combat occurs under influence of dawn op? Is the damage from
> Weather Control aggravated (even though the damage from say, Mariel, is not)?

Yes, the damage from weather control would be aggravated. As you said,
Mariel's damage is not aggravated since the damage from her ability would
be applied just after combat ends.

-Robert

:The opinions expressed here are strictly my own delusional ramblings:
:and do not reflect the opinions of The Walt Disney Company. :
: :
:Robert Goudie robert...@studio.disney.com:
:LA V:tES Tournament Info www.cs.ucr.edu/~ezix/other/rg/vtourn_1.html:
:....................................................................:
: Vampire: the Eternal Struggle | Chivas & Don Tomas SE | r.a.i.f. :
:....................................................................:

LSJ

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

Robert Granat wrote:
> When exactly does Weather Control deal its damage?

At the beginning of each round of combat.

> For example, what if combat is ended by Mariel or Elysium: The Arboretum?
> Both effects are "before range." Does one have precedence?

Whichever is played first. Note that the acting minion's controller
always has first option to play a card or effect.

> What if the combat occurs under influence of dawn op? Is the damage from
> Weather Control aggravated (even though the damage from say, Mariel, is not)?

Yes, it is aggravated. Mariel's damage is not made aggravated by a
Dawn Op by virtue of the fact that the damage occurs after combat is
ended. Damage from Weather Control is not in this category, obviously.

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com)
Official VtES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.

James Coupe

Nov 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/8/97

In article <63vlmg$1...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>, Robert Granat
<rag...@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes

>When exactly does Weather Control deal its damage?
>
>For example, what if combat is ended by Mariel or Elysium: The Arboretum?
>Both effects are "before range." Does one have precedence?

I would be guessing that it resolves as you play it (in the same way
that the damage from Spawning Pool resolves when you tap it). This way,
if you play Weather Control, it deals damage and then someone gets the
option to tap the Elysium or Mariel or whatever.

>What if the combat occurs under influence of dawn op? Is the damage from
>Weather Control aggravated (even though the damage from say, Mariel, is not)?

Yes, the damage is. Dawn Op makes the damage dealt *in* a combat aggro.
The damage from Weather Control is aggro because it is inside the
combat. The damage from Mariel or Catatonic Fear is not aggro because
it is outside the combat (of course, Catatonic Fear isn't played in the
before range bit).

--

James Coupe (remove items of food to reply via e-mail)

Dick: I lost your number....
Lucy: I work at the sheriff's office! You could have dialed 911!

LSJ

Nov 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/10/97

Robert Goudie wrote:
> Mariel or the Elysium can do their thing anytime before range is
> determined while the Weather Control must be played at the beginning of
> combat. Playing weather control sets up an effect that will deal its
> damage just before range is determined. So, if Mariel or the Elysium end
> the combat the Weather Control will not have any effect. LSJ should
> chime in here though 'cause I'm not 100% sure of this one.

Ooh, yeah - I missed the timing text on Weather Control. So my
previous answer of "whichever was played first" isn't entirely
correct (it's true, but *very* misleading).

Weather Control gets first opportunity to be played ("beginning
of combat" superceding "before range").

But, since the effect is set up, and neither Elysium: Arboretum nor
Mariel can be used until "before range", WC's effect will take place
even if combat is ended in one of those two ways.