Important question

rodrigo...@hotmail.com

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
Hi! A vampire bleeds me at +3. So, I play Archon Investigation. Can other
vampire play Mask of 1000 Faces (so the burned vampire would be other than
that who bled me)? Rodrigo Russano

---(((Sangue)))---

Richard D. Zopf

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
rodrigo...@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi! A vampire bleeds me at +3. So, I play Archon Investigation. Can other
>vampire play Mask of 1000 Faces (so the burned vampire would be other than
>that who bled me)? Rodrigo Russano

Nope. Action modifiers must be declared in their entirety before
Archon Investigation can be played. (Typically, you ask if the
bleeder is "done", meaning no more modifiers). If he says he's done,
then he is done. There are no M:tG type timing issues with Vampire
(thank god), so cards resolve immediately after they are played. Your
bleeder's only recourse would be a Sudden Reversal from another player
at the table (Bleeder can't play one on his own turn...)

Regards,
R. David Zopf
guenh...@mindspring.com
Atom Weaver

John Whelan

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
Richard D. Zopf (guenh...@mindspring.com) wrote:
: rodrigo...@hotmail.com wrote:

: >Hi! A vampire bleeds me at +3. So, I play Archon Investigation. Can other
: >vampire play Mask of 1000 Faces (so the burned vampire would be other than
: >that who bled me)? Rodrigo Russano

: Nope.

Agreed, so far.

: Action modifiers must be declared in their entirety before

: Archon Investigation can be played. (Typically, you ask if the
: bleeder is "done", meaning no more modifiers). If he says he's done,
: then he is done.

I suspect this is wrong. I was always under the impression that Archon
Investigation could be played at *any* point during during a bleed
*attempt* up to, but not including, the point where the attempt becomes an
actuality.

You cannot wait for the bleeder to be done, because the bleed is then a
successful bleed, and not a bleed attempt. Thus, you cannot play AI in
response to a bleeder burning his "Spying Mission" (previously played) for
+2 bleed.

: There are no M:tG type timing issues with Vampire

: (thank god), so cards resolve immediately after they are played.

Right, and this is the reason you cannot respond to AI with Mask. AI
resolves before *anyone* plays the next card.

--
Lupus Australis
____ ____

LSJ

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
jbwh...@amanda.dorsai.org (John Whelan) wrote:
> Richard D. Zopf (guenh...@mindspring.com) wrote:
> : rodrigo...@hotmail.com wrote:
> : >Hi! A vampire bleeds me at +3. So, I play Archon Investigation. Can other
> : >vampire play Mask of 1000 Faces (so the burned vampire would be other than
> : >that who bled me)?
> : Nope.
> Agreed, so far.
>
> : Action modifiers must be declared in their entirety before
> : Archon Investigation can be played. (Typically, you ask if the
> : bleeder is "done", meaning no more modifiers). If he says he's done,
> : then he is done.
>
> I suspect this is wrong. I was always under the impression that Archon
> Investigation could be played at *any* point during during a bleed
> *attempt* up to, but not including, the point where the attempt becomes an
> actuality.

Right. But, at every point along the way, the acting Meth gets first
opportunity to play the next effect. So you do have to wait until she
pauses to allow you to do something (normally declared as a "do you
block?" query). Once she declines to play the next effect, you are
welcomed to play any effect (like declaring a block attempt, playing
Telepathic Counter, or playing Archon Investigation, for example).

In the case of Archon Investigation, that effect terminates the action
(and the acting vampire), so Mask1K cannot be played after (since there
is no action to modify).

> You cannot wait for the bleeder to be done, because the bleed is then a
> successful bleed, and not a bleed attempt. Thus, you cannot play AI in
> response to a bleeder burning his "Spying Mission" (previously played) for
> +2 bleed.

Right again. [LSJ 980105]

> : There are no M:tG type timing issues with Vampire
> : (thank god), so cards resolve immediately after they are played.
>
> Right, and this is the reason you cannot respond to AI with Mask. AI
> resolves before *anyone* plays the next card.

Correct.

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com) VTES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.
Links to revised rulebook, rulings, errata, and DCI (tournament) rules:

LSJ

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
rodrigo...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi! A vampire bleeds me at +3. So, I play Archon Investigation. Can other
> vampire play Mask of 1000 Faces (so the burned vampire would be other than
> that who bled me)? Rodrigo Russano

No. Once you play Archon Investigation, the action is ended (unsuccessfully)
and the acting minion is burned. So there is no action remaining to
modify with Mask1K, nor is there an acting minion to untap.