[LSJ] Veil of darkness with action modifiers and traps

28 vues

gabusanvtes

non lue,
7 juin 2004, 20:15:1207/06/2004
About "Veil of Darkness": if the first discipline card a vampire plays
is an action modifier card, and the top card is a master card, can you
play the same action modifier again?

If the card nullified by the "veil of darkness" was a combat card,
would it reset a "Trap" anyway?

Thanks a lot

Colin McGuigan

non lue,
7 juin 2004, 21:34:1907/06/2004

Veil of Darkness says: "...and the original card has no effect", _not_
"the original card is cancelled" or similar, it would seem the card does
count as played, so, no and yes.

--Colin McGuigan

Timlagor

non lue,
7 juin 2004, 22:43:0707/06/2004
Colin McGuigan expounded:

So both
a) resetting trap and
b) preventing further play of the same card

are not effects? certainly possible for some values of "effects" but not
obvious.

Daneel

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 02:57:3408/06/2004
> So both
> a) resetting trap and
> b) preventing further play of the same card
>
> are not effects? certainly possible for some values of "effects" but not
> obvious.

They are not the effects of the cards. They are the effects imposed on
other cards.

You play a combat card. It has no effect, but you still played it.
Trap's effect kicks in.

You play an action modifier. It has no effect. However, the next time
you want to play the same action modifier you will not be able to
(because the rules restrict you from playing an action modifier or
reaction card that has already been played by the same minion,
regardless of effect).

Bye,

Daneel

gabusanvtes

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 05:45:5708/06/2004
However, I DO know (readt it somewhere) that if "veil of darkness"
nullifies an action card, you dont get tapped and you can play the
same action again! Why would a action modifier be different? And since
you dont get tapped, maybe trap doesn't reset either?

dan...@eposta.hu (Daneel) wrote in message news:<a23a105e.04060...@posting.google.com>...

LSJ

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 07:52:3708/06/2004

They are effects, but not effects of the canceled card.
They are effects of Trap and the rules, respectively, that are
"triggered" on the play of a card, whether that card was canceled as
it was played or not.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Colin McGuigan

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 10:03:0008/06/2004
gabusanvtes wrote:

> However, I DO know (readt it somewhere) that if "veil of darkness"
> nullifies an action card, you dont get tapped and you can play the
> same action again! Why would a action modifier be different? And since
> you dont get tapped, maybe trap doesn't reset either?

You're referring to this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=40BC6002.9060808%40white-wolf.com

Mmmm. I'd see it arguable that tapping the vampire is an effect of the
action card, so I can see the no-tap. But, yes, the "can take the same
action again" doesn't jive with the "can't play the same action
modifier" again.

So let's wait for LSJ to explain. =)

--Colin McGuigan

LSJ

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 11:41:2408/06/2004
gpa...@hotmail.com (gabusanvtes) wrote in message news:<2687136c.04060...@posting.google.com>...

Because the rules do not restrict action cards by "card played" but
rather by action "performed". The rules restrict action modifiers by
card played.

Trap also worked on cards played.

LSJ

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 14:00:3008/06/2004
Colin McGuigan <magu...@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote :

> gabusanvtes wrote:
> > However, I DO know (readt it somewhere) that if "veil of darkness"
> > nullifies an action card, you dont get tapped and you can play the
> > same action again! Why would a action modifier be different? And since
> > you dont get tapped, maybe trap doesn't reset either?
>
> Mmmm. I'd see it arguable that tapping the vampire is an effect of the
> action card, so I can see the no-tap. But, yes, the "can take the same
> action again" doesn't jive with the "can't play the same action
> modifier" again.
>
> So let's wait for LSJ to explain. =)

The prohibition on repeating actions is on performing the same action
twice, not on playing the same card twice. When the card is played and
canceled, the card is played and the action is not performed. Being
not performed, the action can be take "again" (for the first time,
that is) by the minion if he plays the action card again (the second
play of the card effects the first performance of the action, assuming
the second play is not canceled as well by yet another DI).

The prohibition on action modifiers is on card played. Being played,
even when canceled, is enough to count as being played.

Colin McGuigan

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 14:09:2808/06/2004
LSJ wrote:
> The prohibition on repeating actions is on performing the same action
> twice, not on playing the same card twice. When the card is played and
> canceled, the card is played and the action is not performed.

But Veil of Darkness doesn't cancel the card, it says, it "has no effect".

Does "has no effect" mean the same thing as cancelled?

--Colin McGuigan

gabusanvtes

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 14:47:4708/06/2004
vte...@white-wolf.com (LSJ) wrote in message
> They are effects, but not effects of the canceled card.
> They are effects of Trap and the rules, respectively, that are
> "triggered" on the play of a card, whether that card was canceled as
> it was played or not.

Thanks for the answer, but i am not sure of understanding what you are
implying. Let me make this perfectly clear so I can state it has
official in my play group:

If a card is nullified by veil of darkness:

1) If the card was an action, the minion doesn't tap and he/she can
play the same action again.
2) If the card was an action modifier, the minion CANNOT play the same
action modifier again during that action (guess it would work the same
for reactions...)
3) Any "trap" in effect during combat "resets" (card is considered
played).

Right?

arden mcbathan

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 14:56:0508/06/2004
Colin McGuigan <magu...@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message news:<q7qcnXmr18a...@speakeasy.net>...

IANLSJ, but for NRA to kick in, the action needs to have resolved. A
minion who's action has been taken over by Mo1KF would be able to play
that action again, to give another example.

Daneel

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 16:59:1408/06/2004
Colin McGuigan <magu...@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message news:<q7qcnXmr18a...@speakeasy.net>...
> You're referring to this:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=40BC6002.9060808%40white-wolf.com
>
> Mmmm. I'd see it arguable that tapping the vampire is an effect of the
> action card, so I can see the no-tap. But, yes, the "can take the same
> action again" doesn't jive with the "can't play the same action
> modifier" again.

Taking any action taps the vampire (rules). The effect of the action
card is the minion taking the given action. Playing the action card
without effect does not allow a minion to take the action.
Furthermore, the non-repeatability of actions only kick in if the
action resolves in one way or another.

Playing an action modifier works differently. The effect of the action
modifier card is the modification of the action indicated by card
text. If it's effects are cancelled, then they are not applied (but
the card was played nevertheless, restricting the same minion from
playing that same card again during the same action).

Bye,

Daneel

LSJ

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 17:29:5008/06/2004

What else would it mean?

LSJ

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 17:30:5308/06/2004

Right. The card was played but the effect was canceled.

Colin McGuigan

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 18:33:1608/06/2004
LSJ wrote:
>> But Veil of Darkness doesn't cancel the card, it says, it "has no
>> effect".
>>
>> Does "has no effect" mean the same thing as cancelled?
>
> What else would it mean?

Arguably, there might be a difference with, say, DNR effects; a
cancelled "Fake Out" is replaced immediately, but one that simply "has
no effect" wouldn't be.

So I'm verifying.

--Colin McGuigan

LSJ

non lue,
8 juin 2004, 23:41:5408/06/2004
Colin McGuigan wrote:

OK. Verified.

salem

non lue,
9 juin 2004, 04:37:0809/06/2004
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:30:53 GMT, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com>
scrawled:

>gabusanvtes wrote:
>> vte...@white-wolf.com (LSJ) wrote in message
>>>They are effects, but not effects of the canceled card.
>>>They are effects of Trap and the rules, respectively, that are
>>>"triggered" on the play of a card, whether that card was canceled as
>>>it was played or not.
>>
>> Thanks for the answer, but i am not sure of understanding what you are
>> implying. Let me make this perfectly clear so I can state it has
>> official in my play group:
>>
>> If a card is nullified by veil of darkness:
>>
>> 1) If the card was an action, the minion doesn't tap and he/she can
>> play the same action again.
>> 2) If the card was an action modifier, the minion CANNOT play the same
>> action modifier again during that action (guess it would work the same
>> for reactions...)
>> 3) Any "trap" in effect during combat "resets" (card is considered
>> played).
>>
>> Right?
>
>Right. The card was played but the effect was canceled.

note that if a bonding, conditioning, threats, etc were played, you
would still be allowed to play another action modifier to increase
your bleed. (just not the same one as you originally played).

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)
"I like to play the field"-LSJ

gabusanvtes

non lue,
9 juin 2004, 13:00:0909/06/2004
salem <salem_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote in message >
> note that if a bonding, conditioning, threats, etc were played, you
> would still be allowed to play another action modifier to increase
> your bleed. (just not the same one as you originally played).

Interesting. Then, if "veil of darkness" cancels a "drawing out the
beast" or any other combat card that can only be played once per round
or once per combat, you would be able to play another? If yes, i
understand that direct intervention and Veil of darkness have sightly
different effects, right?

Gregory Stuart Pettigrew

non lue,
9 juin 2004, 14:43:3109/06/2004

Almost. The first Drawing Out the Beast was played (but cancelled), so
card text on the second one prevents you from playing it.

0 nouveau message