{LSJ} Phantom Speaker vs. Cats' Guidance

Kushiel

Oct 2, 2007, 1:25:29 PM10/2/07
Vampire A attempts an action. Vampire B attempts to block. Vampire
declares the block successful, then plays Phantom Speaker at [MEL] to
make the block unsuccessful.

Can Vampire B play Cats' Guidance during this action? If so, when?

John Eno

Message has been deleted

aaronmiller38

Oct 2, 2007, 3:07:40 PM10/2/07

In most situations the word "Not" or to make something unsuccessful
takes presidence over the successful completion of sead situation.

In short if a card is played that prevents something from happening
then its as if in never actually happened at all and anything that
would have trigred will no longer trigre.

Also, Cats' Guidance is played after a succesful block and since
combat is part of bloking you cant play Cats' Guidance untill after
combat is over.

Aaron Miller

The Name Forgotten

Oct 2, 2007, 4:11:53 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 9:07 pm, aaronmiller38 <aaronmille...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 1:25 pm, Kushiel <invisibleking...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Vampire A attempts an action. Vampire B attempts to block. Vampire
> > declares the block successful, then plays Phantom Speaker at [MEL] to
> > make the block unsuccessful.
>
> > Can Vampire B play Cats' Guidance during this action? If so, when?

Nope. Can't play for intercept - cos you can no longer block, thus
don't need intercept (cornercase example for need to cycle).
AND Can't play to untap because you did not block ("The block fails")
which is necessary for Cat's Guidance.

> Also, Cats' Guidance is played after a succesful block and since
> combat is part of bloking you cant play Cats' Guidance untill after
> combat is over.

Not quite the reason I would give, because in a situation like Vampire
A playing a mirror walk, there will be no combat, but Vampire B is
still entitled to play Cat's Guidance to untap, as the action was
blocked. That's way Cat's has the reminder text of "play after combat
(*if any*)" - emphasis is mine.

Kushiel

Oct 2, 2007, 4:45:38 PM10/2/07
It's super-annoying that I can't see LSJ's response, even though I can
see that he did respond. I'm starting to hate Google groups.

Anyone who can see his post feel like reposting it?

On Oct 2, 4:11 pm, The Name Forgotten <tex...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> Nope...Can't play to untap because you did not block ("The block fails")

> which is necessary for Cat's Guidance.

You *did* block, though, since you have to block successfully before
Phantom Speaker can be played. It's a weird card that way - I'm not
sure why it triggers on a successful block rather than a block
attempt, the way all the other block-fails cards do.

And, also weirdly, Cats' Guidance doesn't indicate that it can only be
played after a "successful" block, just after a block. That's why the
question arose in the first place.

John Eno

The Lasombra

Oct 2, 2007, 5:15:25 PM10/2/07
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:45:38 -0700, Kushiel
<invisibl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>It's super-annoying that I can't see LSJ's response, even though I can
>see that he did respond. I'm starting to hate Google groups.
>
>Anyone who can see his post feel like reposting it?

----------------------

No. Unless he played a Wake to make the block in the first place (or
is otherwise tapped).

In the latter case, he may play Cats' Guidance immedaitly to untap.
Then, if the action resolves successfully, the Phantom Speaker effect
will tap him.

----------------------

JJeff

Oct 2, 2007, 9:29:12 PM10/2/07
On Oct 3, 5:15 am, The Lasombra <TheLasom...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> No. Unless he played a Wake to make the block in the first place (or
> is otherwise tapped).
>
> In the latter case, he may play Cats' Guidance immedaitly to untap.
> Then, if the action resolves successfully, the Phantom Speaker effect
> will tap him.
>
> ----------------------

So you're saying that even though the block fails as per card text of
Phantom Speaker, this still satisfies the condition of "immediately
after he or she blocks"? Cats' Guidance does not need to be a
successful block to be played? Cool...

LSJ

Oct 2, 2007, 10:02:51 PM10/2/07

Check card text again.

Phantom Speaker cannot be played unless there was a successful block.

JJeff

Oct 3, 2007, 3:57:05 AM10/3/07
On Oct 3, 10:02 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> JJeff wrote:

> > So you're saying that even though the block fails as per card text of
> > Phantom Speaker, this still satisfies the condition of "immediately
> > after he or she blocks"? Cats' Guidance does not need to be a
> > successful block to be played? Cool...
>
> Check card text again.
>
> Phantom Speaker cannot be played unless there was a successful block.

I'm sorry. I understand that Phantom Speaker is played if the block
was successful.

I am under the impression that the acting Meth has priority and thus
would be able to play the Phantom Speaker first, before the blocking
Meth is able to play Cats' Guidance (which is played after combat).
Doesn't Phantom Speaker say "The block fails.."?

Thus my question. At the point the blocking Meth can play Cats'
Guidance, the block would have failed (as per card text of Phantom
Speaker), I have always played that Cats' Guidance could not be played
since the block was now not successful. I seem to be wrong in my
opinion.

Thank you

The Name Forgotten

Oct 3, 2007, 10:30:41 AM10/3/07

This is exactly what I thought. There would be no window in which
Cat's Guidance could be played, as ordinarily when one blocks, you
would be expecting combat, so you would have to wait before playing
cat's guidance, but then the acting meth would play phantom speaker,
and you would not have a window in which to play cat's guidance as
your block now fails. Barring some crazy timing rule, I don't see when
Cat's will be able to be played legitimately.