LSJ - Gather

Khervin U. Cheng Chua

May 17, 2003, 6:35:07 PM5/17/03
Gather
Action, Requires Gangrel
+1 stealth, Unique, 1 Pool

Put this card in play, tapped, and choose a younger Gangrel in your
uncontrolled region. During the influence phase, you may tap this
card to move that Gangrel to your ready region with whatever counters
he or she has, unless that Gangrel would contest a vampire in play.
Any vampire can burn this card as a D action that costs 1 pool.

How exactly does this card work? It seems that it'll only work on the
younger Gangrel chosen when the card is played... there's no real
mechanism on the card enabling you to choose another younger Gangrel
once the chosen one is moved to your ready region but I'm wondering if
this was the intention. So, If Stanislava calls a Gather, does this
enable you to bring out all the other Gangrel from your uncontrolled
region (over a few turns) or only one of them?

Thanks,

Khervin

Eric Simon

May 17, 2003, 11:29:58 PM5/17/03
to...@observatory.ph (Khervin U. Cheng Chua) wrote in message news:<39ceedee.03051...@posting.google.com>...

By card text, because you choose a Gangrel and then the action refers
to "that Gangrel", you may only use each Gather action to bring out at
most one Gangrel. There is, however, the interesting effect that the
card remains uselessly in play after bringing the vampire out.
(Useless, that is, unless someone happens to be tied for pool with
their prey. Then they could burn the Gather and then Parity Shift.
Golf clap to anyone who pulls that off.)

I see more Giant's Blood in the future...

-Volya42

Kulaid

May 17, 2003, 11:55:48 PM5/17/03
> to...@observatory.ph (Khervin U. Cheng Chua) wrote in
> message news:<39ceedee.0305171435.6611f810@post

>> Gather
>> Action, Requires Gangrel
>> +1 stealth, Unique, 1 Pool
>>
>> Put this card in play, tapped, and choose a younger Gangrel in your
>> uncontrolled region. During the influence phase, you may tap this
>> card to move that Gangrel to your ready region with
>> whatever counters
>> he or she has, unless that Gangrel would contest a vampire in play.
> etc..

> By card text, because you choose a Gangrel and then the action refers
> to "that Gangrel", you may only use each Gather action to
> bring out at
> most one Gangrel. There is, however, the interesting effect that the
> card remains uselessly in play after bringing the vampire out.
> (Useless, that is, unless someone happens to be tied for pool with
> their prey. Then they could burn the Gather and then Parity Shift.
> Golf clap to anyone who pulls that off.)
>
> I see more Giant's Blood in the future...
>
> -Volya42

Not true, you can banish that vampire and bring it back out(untapped)...
You can influence on it or influence off before you tap it... (If
there was a good reason to do that... ) And protect the gather... Or
other ways you can return it to your uncontrolled area...

(Anyways, restoration helps a bunch too... =D )

http://web2news.com/?rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad

Gomi no Sensei

May 18, 2003, 2:09:15 AM5/18/03
In article <39ceedee.03051...@posting.google.com>,

It works like this, see.

You play a Gather and name a younger Gangrel. If you can defend it
through your next untap phase, it untaps. Then you tap it the next
influence phase and out the Gangrel comes.

Then that Gather sticks around, like a poorly dereferenced pointer.

It's unique, so you can't bring out another one. And now it's useless,
nobody is going to waste a pool getting rid of it for you. So you have to
do it yourself. Total outlay: 2 pool per vampire, 1 if it's the last
Gather you plan on using. Still darn cheap, even factoring in transferring
in a pool to have them not be forced to hunt. With Gathers and Eco
Terrorists (plus comedy 'Powerbase: Montreal' option), Gangrel can assemble
a pretty decent, if somewhat thirsty, throng rather quick-like.

gomi
--
Individually, I love you all with affection unspeakable; but, collectively,
I look upon you with a disgust that amounts to absolute detestation.

Patrick van der Reest

May 18, 2003, 9:09:22 AM5/18/03
go...@panix.com (Gomi no Sensei) wrote in message news:<ba782b$8c2$1...@panix2.panix.com>...

> In article <39ceedee.03051...@posting.google.com>,
> Khervin U. Cheng Chua <to...@observatory.ph> wrote:
> >Gather
> >Action, Requires Gangrel
> >+1 stealth, Unique, 1 Pool
>
> >Put this card in play, tapped, and choose a younger Gangrel in your
> >uncontrolled region. During the influence phase, you may tap this
> >card to move that Gangrel to your ready region with whatever counters
> >he or she has, unless that Gangrel would contest a vampire in play.
> >Any vampire can burn this card as a D action that costs 1 pool.
>
> >How exactly does this card work? It seems that it'll only work on the
> >younger Gangrel chosen when the card is played... there's no real
> >mechanism on the card enabling you to choose another younger Gangrel
> >once the chosen one is moved to your ready region but I'm wondering if
> >this was the intention. So, If Stanislava calls a Gather, does this
> >enable you to bring out all the other Gangrel from your uncontrolled
> >region (over a few turns) or only one of them?
>
> It works like this, see.
>
> You play a Gather and name a younger Gangrel. If you can defend it
> through your next untap phase, it untaps. Then you tap it the next
> influence phase and out the Gangrel comes.
>
> Then that Gather sticks around, like a poorly dereferenced pointer.

*chuckles*

> It's unique, so you can't bring out another one. And now it's useless,
> nobody is going to waste a pool getting rid of it for you. So you have to
> do it yourself. Total outlay: 2 pool per vampire, 1 if it's the last
> Gather you plan on using. Still darn cheap, even factoring in transferring
> in a pool to have them not be forced to hunt. With Gathers and Eco
> Terrorists (plus comedy 'Powerbase: Montreal' option), Gangrel can assemble
> a pretty decent, if somewhat thirsty, throng rather quick-like.

I want my booster boxes (and Gathers!). Any idea whether the card was
in the starter, too? I didn't have people play it at tables near me,
so I doubt that...

Blessings,

Patrick van der Reest
Columbus, OH

Jesper

May 18, 2003, 9:38:15 AM5/18/03
> I want my booster boxes (and Gathers!). Any idea whether the card was
> in the starter, too? I didn't have people play it at tables near me,
> so I doubt that...

It aint

There arent, as far as I could tell, any new cards (maybe some new vampires,
dont know that) in the Gangrel starter deck.

/J

James O'Rance

May 18, 2003, 1:44:55 PM5/18/03
go...@panix.com (Gomi no Sensei) wrote:

> It's unique, so you can't bring out another one. And now it's useless,
> nobody is going to waste a pool getting rid of it for you. So you have to
> do it yourself. Total outlay: 2 pool per vampire, 1 if it's the last
> Gather you plan on using.

Or you could leave it in play if you suspect that your Gathered
gangrel will be the target of a Banishment.

One Gather is great for getting two large Gangrel into play quickly.
If you'd spent three rounds influencing out Stanislava, Gather would
allow you to get -any- ten capacity Gangrel much faster (Karsh,
perhaps). Fortitude will help the big vamp gain some blood (assuming
that you transfered at least one point onto him, so that he doesn't
have to just hunt for 1).

I've seen people Minion Tap a large vampire down to 2 or 3 blood on
the turn after they influence him out - this has a similar result, but
is quicker.

james o'rance
http://www.geocities.com/dragon-dreamer/vampire

Gomi no Sensei

May 18, 2003, 2:21:08 PM5/18/03
In article <7455ad7.03051...@posting.google.com>,

James O'Rance <jor...@sydcon.net> wrote:

>I've seen people Minion Tap a large vampire down to 2 or 3 blood on
>the turn after they influence him out - this has a similar result, but
>is quicker.

You only really get a speed advantage with 9+ capacity vampires, since
those take 3 turns to Gathering's a 2-turn minimum, though of course
you could be transferring to other vampires during that time, and the pool
savings are impressive even without a speed bonus.

With Freak Drives and blood gain infrastructure, one could assemble
quite a throng -- but the question then becomes what to do with it?

Hm. I'll have to ponder that one.

Jamie The Seppo

May 18, 2003, 11:05:13 PM5/18/03
> With Freak Drives and blood gain infrastructure, one could assemble
> quite a throng -- but the question then becomes what to do with it?
>
> Hm. I'll have to ponder that one.
>
> gomi

Ponder? It took me less then a minute. Khobar Towers or Golconda!
Get out a free 10 cap (using Stanislava or put some Master Discipline
cards on group 1 10 cap vamps) waste 'em for the pool, Bring out
another free vamp or just start bringing out the weenies you'll keep.

Just one thing I can't figure out. If the Gather goes away, does the
vamp you brought out with it stay or does it go back to the
Uncontrolled area?

Jamie
The Seppo

John Flournoy

May 19, 2003, 12:03:07 AM5/19/03
"Kulaid" <kulaid.ne...@web2news.net> wrote in message news:<3142...@web2news.com>...

There's something else you all haven't noticed yet.

The card text is: "During the influence phase, you may tap this card

to move that Gangrel to your ready region with whatever counters he or
she has, unless that Gangrel would contest a vampire in play."

Oddly, it doesn't say "move that gangrel to your ready region from
your uncontrolled region". So, either it also allows you to move him
out of your torpor region, or there will need to be a clerification on
this really quickly..

-John Flournoy

The Lasombra

May 19, 2003, 12:16:34 AM5/19/03
On 18 May 2003 20:05:13 -0700, moon...@useoz.com (Jamie The Seppo)
wrote:

>Just one thing I can't figure out. If the Gather goes away, does the
>vamp you brought out with it stay

Of course it stays.

>or does it go back to the Uncontrolled area?

There is no card text on Gather that even remotely hints at this.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

salem

May 19, 2003, 12:37:25 AM5/19/03
On 18 May 2003 21:03:07 -0700, flou...@rcn.com (John Flournoy)
scrawled:

>"Kulaid" <kulaid.ne...@web2news.net> wrote in message news:<3142...@web2news.com>...
>> > to...@observatory.ph (Khervin U. Cheng Chua) wrote in
>> > message news:<39ceedee.0305171435.6611f810@post

>> > etc..

[snip]

>There's something else you all haven't noticed yet.
>
>The card text is: "During the influence phase, you may tap this card
>to move that Gangrel to your ready region with whatever counters he or
>she has, unless that Gangrel would contest a vampire in play."
>
>Oddly, it doesn't say "move that gangrel to your ready region from
>your uncontrolled region". So, either it also allows you to move him
>out of your torpor region, or there will need to be a clerification on
>this really quickly..

but not out of the ash heap, i presume, as the ash heap seems to 'wash
clean' vampires, thus ending all effects pointing at them...

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm

Khervin U. Cheng Chua

May 19, 2003, 8:28:21 PM5/19/03
flou...@rcn.com (John Flournoy) wrote:

> There's something else you all haven't noticed yet.
>
> The card text is: "During the influence phase, you may tap this card
> to move that Gangrel to your ready region with whatever counters he or
> she has, unless that Gangrel would contest a vampire in play."
>
> Oddly, it doesn't say "move that gangrel to your ready region from
> your uncontrolled region". So, either it also allows you to move him
> out of your torpor region, or there will need to be a clerification on
> this really quickly..

Curious, some clarification on this would be welcome - Will Gather
enable you to move the chosen vampire to your ready region from
torpor? twould be a welcome addition to Gangrel torpor decks for sure
(a semi-permanent Rapid Healing)

- Toad

LSJ

May 20, 2003, 8:44:52 AM5/20/03

No. It is only usable to move him from the uncontrolled region to the
ready region.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/