Erciyes Fragment Question

6 vues

Halcyan 2

non lue,
23 juin 2004, 00:05:1323/06/2004
Hmmm...I was just recalling a (usually) minor detail that has been mentioned in
the past, about how equipiment/retainers/allies are technically placed in the
ash heap when played. Here's an old post from LSJ:

From: LSJ (vte...@white-wolf.com)
Subject: Re: Experience
Date: 2001-10-03 09:32:34 PST

"Andrew S. Davidson" wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 10:20:49 -0400, LSJ wrote:
>
> >For instance, during an equip action, is the equipment placed above
> >or below the stealth card used to help it succeed if the action is
> >ultimately blocked? In practice, above. By rules, below.
>
> You are mistaken. The equipment card is played into the play area and
> then burned when the action is resolved (6.2.3). The stealth card is
> played straight into the ash pile (1.6.1.1). The equipment therefore
> ends up on top of the stealth card in the ash pile. There is no clash
> between theory and your practise.

Technically it is played to the ash heap to start the action, then if
the action succeeds, it is put into play. The only two options are "in
play" and "ash heap", and the equipment doesn't enter play until the
action succeeds (cf. attempting to equip with a Blood Tears while
another Blood Tears is in play).

If you prefer, use "Army of Rats" instead of equipment.
The card only enters play if the action succeeds.

Now how does this interact with the Erciyes Fragment? For example, my prey
wants to equip with an Ivory Bow. He taps his minion and plays the Ivory Bow
(which then goes to the ash heap and, if the action is successful, it goes into
play). During the action (while determining blockers, combat, etc.), I decide
to tap the Erciyes Fragment to move the Ivory Bow (that is currently being
equipped) onto the Fragment. The action is then successful but the Ivory Bow is
no longer in the ash heap. So what happens now?

Halcyan 2

UniqueMaster

non lue,
23 juin 2004, 01:25:1723/06/2004
lol

I think your answer lies in the name of the Fragment... hello Heidelburg
errata...

--
Mike Ooi
"You have left the world. Click to continue."

LSJ

non lue,
23 juin 2004, 06:19:4223/06/2004
Halcyan 2 wrote:
> Now how does this interact with the Erciyes Fragment? For example, my prey
> wants to equip with an Ivory Bow. He taps his minion and plays the Ivory Bow
> (which then goes to the ash heap and, if the action is successful, it goes into
> play). During the action (while determining blockers, combat, etc.), I decide
> to tap the Erciyes Fragment to move the Ivory Bow (that is currently being
> equipped) onto the Fragment. The action is then successful but the Ivory Bow is
> no longer in the ash heap. So what happens now?

He equips with the Ivory Bow (the action was successful).
If you like, treat this as a reversal of the previous ruling -- the
equipment is in limbo until the action resolves and cannot be affected.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

vermillian

non lue,
23 juin 2004, 09:30:0523/06/2004
halc...@aol.com (Halcyan 2) wrote in message news:<20040623000513...@mb-m02.aol.com>...

> Now how does this interact with the Erciyes Fragment? For example, my prey
> wants to equip with an Ivory Bow. He taps his minion and plays the Ivory Bow
> (which then goes to the ash heap and, if the action is successful, it goes into
> play). During the action (while determining blockers, combat, etc.), I decide
> to tap the Erciyes Fragment to move the Ivory Bow (that is currently being
> equipped) onto the Fragment. The action is then successful but the Ivory Bow is
> no longer in the ash heap. So what happens now?

If the action is succeful it moves the card from your Erciyes Fragment
into play. Right?

Halcyan 2

non lue,
23 juin 2004, 11:10:5823/06/2004
>>Subject: Re: Erciyes Fragment Question
>>From: LSJ vte...@white-wolf.com

>> Now how does this interact with the Erciyes Fragment? For example, my prey
>> wants to equip with an Ivory Bow. He taps his minion and plays the Ivory
>Bow
>> (which then goes to the ash heap and, if the action is successful, it goes
>into
>> play). During the action (while determining blockers, combat, etc.), I
>decide
>> to tap the Erciyes Fragment to move the Ivory Bow (that is currently being
>> equipped) onto the Fragment. The action is then successful but the Ivory
>Bow is
>> no longer in the ash heap. So what happens now?
>
>He equips with the Ivory Bow (the action was successful).
>If you like, treat this as a reversal of the previous ruling -- the
>equipment is in limbo until the action resolves and cannot be affected.

Ok that sounds good. In fact, the reversal is probably a good thing. Even
though I sorta liked the simplicity and elegancy of the old system (it's either
in play or in the ashheap), there do seem to be some problems with that sort of
logic:

It's been stated that:

Cards that go into an ash heap, hand, or library always go into their owner's
ash heap, hand, or library. [RTR 970425]

This might have caused complications with Agaitas and Succubus Club. For
example, under the old system, if you have cards in your hand owned by another
Methusaleh and that Methusaleh is ousted, then when you play the
equipment/retainer/whatever, it would go into that Methusaleh's ashheap (and
just sort of vaporize), which might create some problems.

Similarly, there would also be the issue that, similiar to my original
question, if you equip with a card due to Agaitas' special (and the card then
goes to your prey's ash heap) and then you use Erciyes Fragment to move the
card it would also be a bit icky.

Of course all of these problems seem to be neatly circumvented by the ruling
reversal and the establishment of a "limbo" state. So nice work!

Halcyan 2

0 nouveau message