Rastacourere (LSJ)

firstco...@aol.com

Jun 5, 2005, 9:21:42 PM6/5/05
Please answer as much of this as you can.

I hear that Rastacourere does not give -1 vote to a Priscus title. To
understand this, I have a statement to consider:

[
Statement: Any "kind" of vote can be cancelled or reduced by any card
which cancels or reduces votes (without special text being needed),
rather like any "kind" of damage can be prevented or ignored by any
card which prevents or ignores damage.

If this is true, then Rastacourere, being a card which reduces a
title's votes, would reduce Priscus votes, because it does not need a
clause.

If untrue, what special clause does a card which reduces or cancels
votes need in order to reduce or cancel Priscus votes?
]

If I am missing something, please tell me, what is it?

If Rastacourere reduces a title's votes by one, why does it fail to
reduce a priscus' title's votes by 1?

Surely a Priscus' title is worth 1 vote in the Priscus sub-referendum,
and if it were worth one less vote during referendums, then it would be
worth 0 votes in that referendum.

-- Brian

LSJ

Jun 5, 2005, 9:40:19 PM6/5/05
firstco...@aol.com wrote:

> Please answer as much of this as you can.
>
> I hear that Rastacourere does not give -1 vote to a Priscus title. To
> understand this, I have a statement to consider:
>
> [
> Statement: Any "kind" of vote can be cancelled or reduced by any card
> which cancels or reduces votes (without special text being needed),
> rather like any "kind" of damage can be prevented or ignored by any
> card which prevents or ignores damage.
>
> If this is true, then Rastacourere, being a card which reduces a
> title's votes, would reduce Priscus votes, because it does not need a
> clause.
>
> If untrue, what special clause does a card which reduces or cancels
> votes need in order to reduce or cancel Priscus votes?
> ]
>
> If I am missing something, please tell me, what is it?

Consider the title: Pairscus. This title is worth one vote in the
main referendum and one vote in the Priscus referendum.

Rastacourere makes the title worth one fewer votes. Since it doesn't
specify which number, main or sub, it is affecting, it affects the
main by default.

The Prisci title is worth 0 votes in the main referendum and 1
vote in the sub referendum.

> If Rastacourere reduces a title's votes by one, why does it fail to
> reduce a priscus' title's votes by 1?

It reduces the Priscus' title's votes in the main referendum (zero)
by 1. Which is meaningless, like a strength of -1 is meaningless
(equivalent to zero when it lands).

> Surely a Priscus' title is worth 1 vote in the Priscus sub-referendum,
> and if it were worth one less vote during referendums, then it would be
> worth 0 votes in that referendum.

If it were worth one fewer votes in the sub referendum you'd be right.
But it's worth one fewer in the main referendum.

--
LSJ (vtesr...@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (remove spam trap to reply)
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Ankur Gupta

Jun 6, 2005, 1:31:07 AM6/6/05
> Consider the title: Pairscus. This title is worth one vote in the main
> referendum and one vote in the Priscus referendum.

Is this a spoiler for the next set? <ducks>

Ankur

firstco...@aol.com

Jun 6, 2005, 1:48:44 AM6/6/05
> Consider the title: Pairscus. This title is worth one vote in the
> main referendum and one vote in the Priscus referendum.
>
> Rastacourere makes the title worth one fewer votes. Since it doesn't
> specify which number, main or sub, it is affecting, it affects the
> main by default.

If a sub-referendum is a referendum, and a "Pairscus" cast one fewer
vote in each referendum, it would cast 0 votes in a main referendum and
0 votes in a Priscus referendum, since that would be one less vote in
each referendum.

Do you mean to suggest that a sub-referendum is part of a referendum,
but not, in fact, a referendum?

> The Prisci title is worth 0 votes in the main referendum and 1
> vote in the sub referendum.

> > Surely a Priscus' title is worth 1 vote in the Priscus sub-referendum,

> > and if it were worth one less vote during referendums, then it would be
> > worth 0 votes in that referendum.
>
> If it were worth one fewer votes in the sub referendum you'd be right.
> But it's worth one fewer in the main referendum.

If a title is worth one less vote in referendums, and it is not worth
one less vote in sub-referendums, then sub-referendums must not be
referendums.

Your ruling is clear and consistant. However, it implies that a
sub-referendum is not a referendum. Is it?

-- Brian

James Coupe

Jun 6, 2005, 2:32:15 AM6/6/05
In message <1118036924....@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

firstco...@aol.com writes:
>Your ruling is clear and consistant. However, it implies that a
>sub-referendum is not a referendum. Is it?

It's a part of the larger referendum in which it takes place. It is not
a full-blown referendum of its own - consider all the restrictions on
what can affect the sub-referendum.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

LSJ

Jun 6, 2005, 6:24:00 AM6/6/05
firstco...@aol.com wrote:
> Your ruling is clear and consistant. However, it implies that a
> sub-referendum is not a referendum. Is it?

It is a sub-referendum. Although you can burn the Edge for a vote in a
referendum, you cannot burn it to gain a vote in the sub-referendum, for
example.

John Flournoy

Jun 6, 2005, 11:52:44 AM6/6/05

LSJ wrote:
> firstco...@aol.com wrote:
> > Your ruling is clear and consistant. However, it implies that a
> > sub-referendum is not a referendum. Is it?
>
> It is a sub-referendum. Although you can burn the Edge for a vote in a
> referendum, you cannot burn it to gain a vote in the sub-referendum, for
> example.

And presumably, you could not affect the sub-referendum (as opposed to
the main referendum) in other common ways, like playing a Bewitching
Oration or pitching vote cards.

> LSJ (vtesr...@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (remove spam trap to reply)

-John Flournoy

James Coupe

Jun 7, 2005, 3:56:23 AM6/7/05
In message <1118073164.4...@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, John

Flournoy <carn...@gmail.com> writes:
>And presumably, you could not affect the sub-referendum (as opposed to
>the main referendum) in other common ways, like playing a Bewitching
>Oration or pitching vote cards.

During a referendum, the prisci block of 3 votes is cast "for"
or "against" the referendum according to the prisci
subreferendum. Each ready priscus provides 1 vote for this
subreferendum, and no other votes may be used in this
subreferendum.

Since this is a rule, you need card text to break the rule. Bewitching
Oration does not have that card-text, hence you cannot use those votes
in the sub-referendum.

firstco...@aol.com

Jun 7, 2005, 5:03:48 AM6/7/05
> > Your ruling is clear and consistant. However, it implies that a
> > sub-referendum is not a referendum. Is it?
>
> It is a sub-referendum. Although you can burn the Edge for a vote in a
> referendum, you cannot burn it to gain a vote in the sub-referendum, for
> example.

"Is a sub-referendum a referendum?"
"It is a sub-referendum."

Sorry, but this seems recursive. Compare:

"Is a miniature dog a dog?"
"It is a miniature dog."

No offense, but I find that this answer avoids the question.

Of course you cannot burn the edge for a vote in that referendum, but
that's covered in the rulebook, that no other votes may be cast from
any other source (other than Prisci) (6.3.3) :

"Each ready priscus provides 1 vote for this subreferendum, and no
other votes may be used in this subreferendum."

Other effects, like action modifiers, are not restricted by text in the
rulebook.

And I THINK the rulebook implies that prisci do not vote in the main
referendum at all, but _instead_ vote in a sub-referendum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can play Telepathic Vote Counting in the
sub-referendum to cancel a priscus' votes, right?

My understanding of the sub-referendum is that it is at least
_conducted_ like a referendum. I'm curious now about whether it is
considered technically a referendum.

Also, to understand the Rastacourere ruling in more detail, assume
there is a card which reads, "Master. Put this card on a titled
vampire. This vampire's title is not worth votes in bloodhunts." A
Prince with Rastacourere would have 1 vote, but a Prince with
Rastacourere and this card as well would have -1 votes, and 2
conditional votes which are usable outside of bloodhunts. Correct?

-- Brian

LSJ

Jun 7, 2005, 6:27:17 AM6/7/05
firstco...@aol.com wrote:

>>>Your ruling is clear and consistant. However, it implies that a
>>>sub-referendum is not a referendum. Is it?
>>
>>It is a sub-referendum. Although you can burn the Edge for a vote in a
>>referendum, you cannot burn it to gain a vote in the sub-referendum, for
>>example.
>

> "Is a sub-referendum a referendum?"
> "It is a sub-referendum."
>
> Sorry, but this seems recursive. Compare:
>
> "Is a miniature dog a dog?"
> "It is a miniature dog."
>
> No offense, but I find that this answer avoids the question.

It answers it sufficiently, at least after the main question
has been answered. The concept should be clear.

> And I THINK the rulebook implies that prisci do not vote in the main
> referendum at all, but _instead_ vote in a sub-referendum.

It does not.

A Prisci who plays, say, Bewitching Oration is free to cast those
votes in the main referendum (and, indeed, can cast them only in
the main referendum).

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can play Telepathic Vote Counting in the
> sub-referendum to cancel a priscus' votes, right?

It makes him abstain (card text), yes.

> My understanding of the sub-referendum is that it is at least
> _conducted_ like a referendum. I'm curious now about whether it is
> considered technically a referendum.

Semantics not germane to the topic of reducing a number of votes,
so if "it is a sub-referendum" means to you that it is a referendum,
then fine. That works just as well as if you take it to mean that
it isn't. The fact remains that cards which affect (or key off of)
the number of votes a vampire has in a referendum are working with
the vampire's main referendum vote count by default.

> Also, to understand the Rastacourere ruling in more detail, assume
> there is a card which reads, "Master. Put this card on a titled
> vampire. This vampire's title is not worth votes in bloodhunts." A

Such a card would be written as
"During blood hunt referendums, this vampire must abstain."

But is seems like your wording above would make the Prisci
title worth no votes as well.

> Prince with Rastacourere would have 1 vote, but a Prince with
> Rastacourere and this card as well would have -1 votes, and 2
> conditional votes which are usable outside of bloodhunts. Correct?

No. The Prince with Rasta + fictional would have zero votes in
blood hunts and 1 vote in other referendums.

(But not in sub-referendums)

firstco...@aol.com

Jun 7, 2005, 12:43:18 PM6/7/05
> > No offense, but I find that this answer avoids the question.
>
> It answers it sufficiently, at least after the main question
> has been answered. The concept should be clear.

What was the answer to the main question, again? Does a sub-referendum
count as a referendum, or not?

> A Prisci who plays, say, Bewitching Oration is free to cast those
> votes in the main referendum (and, indeed, can cast them only in
> the main referendum).

Sorry, I should have been more careful. What I meant to say is that
any _priscus votes_ are not cast in the main referendum at all, but
instead in a sub-referendum. Is this correct?

(If it's not, I don't see how Priscus votes differ from any other
conditional votes.)

> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can play Telepathic Vote Counting in the
> > sub-referendum to cancel a priscus' votes, right?
>
> It makes him abstain (card text), yes.

So, can I play Disarming Presence in a sub-referendum to make every
vampire who casts votes in the sub-referendum tap? If so, would it
also affect the main referendum?

> > Prince with Rastacourere would have 1 vote, but a Prince with
> > Rastacourere and this card as well would have -1 votes, and 2
> > conditional votes which are usable outside of bloodhunts. Correct?
>
> No. The Prince with Rasta + fictional would have zero votes in
> blood hunts and 1 vote in other referendums.

So then, exactly how conditional must votes be in order to not be
affected by Rastacourere?

-- Brian

James Coupe

Jun 7, 2005, 2:35:45 PM6/7/05
In message <1118162598....@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

firstco...@aol.com writes:
>What was the answer to the main question, again? Does a sub-referendum
>count as a referendum, or not?

A sub-referendum is a sub-referendum, and a referendum is a referendum.

The two are different things. However, during one the other is
conducted.

LSJ

Jun 7, 2005, 5:20:46 PM6/7/05
firstco...@aol.com wrote:
>>>No offense, but I find that this answer avoids the question.
>>
>>It answers it sufficiently, at least after the main question
>>has been answered. The concept should be clear.
>

> What was the answer to the main question, again? Does a sub-referendum
> count as a referendum, or not?

The answer to the main question (see threat subject) was:

=====

>> If Rastacourere reduces a title's votes by one, why does it fail to
>> reduce a priscus' title's votes by 1?
>
> It reduces the Priscus' title's votes in the main referendum (zero)
> by 1. Which is meaningless, like a strength of -1 is meaningless
> (equivalent to zero when it lands).

=====

The answer to the other question: does a sub-referendum count as
a referendum? was:

=====

> if "it is a sub-referendum" means to you that it is a referendum,
> then fine. That works just as well as if you take it to mean that
> it isn't. The fact remains that cards which affect (or key off of)
> the number of votes a vampire has in a referendum are working with
> the vampire's main referendum vote count by default.

=====

>>A Prisci who plays, say, Bewitching Oration is free to cast those
>>votes in the main referendum (and, indeed, can cast them only in
>>the main referendum).
>
> Sorry, I should have been more careful. What I meant to say is that
> any _priscus votes_ are not cast in the main referendum at all, but
> instead in a sub-referendum. Is this correct?

Prisci (vampires who hold the title of Priscus) get one vote in the
Prisci sub-referendum for that title. They get 0 votes in the main
referendum for that title. In the Prisci sub-referendum, only the
former votes may be cast, subject to the golden rule.

> (If it's not, I don't see how Priscus votes differ from any other
> conditional votes.)

Conditional votes?
I don't know what you mean.

>>>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can play Telepathic Vote Counting in the
>>>sub-referendum to cancel a priscus' votes, right?
>>
>>It makes him abstain (card text), yes.
>
> So, can I play Disarming Presence in a sub-referendum to make every
> vampire who casts votes in the sub-referendum tap? If so, would it
> also affect the main referendum?

You do not play Disarming Presence in a sub-referendum. You play
it "during a referendum" (card text).

Any vampire who does not abstain is tapped, even if the only votes
they cast were in the Prisci sub-referendum (unless you control
them and played DP at superior, of course).

>>>Prince with Rastacourere would have 1 vote, but a Prince with
>>>Rastacourere and this card as well would have -1 votes, and 2
>>>conditional votes which are usable outside of bloodhunts. Correct?
>>
>>No. The Prince with Rasta + fictional would have zero votes in
>>blood hunts and 1 vote in other referendums.
>
> So then, exactly how conditional must votes be in order to not be
> affected by Rastacourere?

Conditional?

Titles are not conditional -- in a referendum, a vampire is either
titled or not. If he's titled, then the number of votes his title
is worth in the main referendum is reduced by one (negative values
treated as zero).

Instead of trying to make an alternate set of rulings viable,
try approaching the concept from the answers already provided
instead.

jeff...@pacbell.net

Jun 7, 2005, 5:53:02 PM6/7/05
LSJ wrote:

> firstco...@aol.com wrote:
> > So, can I play Disarming Presence in a sub-referendum to make every
> > vampire who casts votes in the sub-referendum tap? If so, would it
> > also affect the main referendum?
>
> You do not play Disarming Presence in a sub-referendum. You play
> it "during a referendum" (card text).
>
> Any vampire who does not abstain is tapped, even if the only votes
> they cast were in the Prisci sub-referendum (unless you control
> them and played DP at superior, of course).

Disarming Presence
Type: Action Modifier
Requires: Presence
Only usable during a referendum before any votes are cast.
[pre] When a vampire votes in this referendum, tap him or her.
[PRE] As above, but do not tap your vampires when they cast their
votes.

So you're saying a Priscus who votes *during a sub-referendum* is
tapped by a Disarming Presence? Is this via the votes cast by the
Priscus bloc? What if your Priscus abstains from the sub-referendum and
the bloc casts their votes? What if your Priscus votes and the bloc
abstains?

Jeff

Emmit Svenson

Jun 7, 2005, 5:57:56 PM6/7/05

firstco...@aol.com wrote:
> If Rastacourere reduces a title's votes by one, why does it fail to
> reduce a priscus' title's votes by 1?

If Bewitching Oration gives a Priscus four votes, why are those votes
cast in the main referendum and not in the sub-referendum?

James Coupe

Jun 7, 2005, 6:13:09 PM6/7/05
In message <1118181182.6...@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

jeff...@pacbell.net writes:
>So you're saying a Priscus who votes *during a sub-referendum* is
>tapped by a Disarming Presence? Is this via the votes cast by the
>Priscus bloc? What if your Priscus abstains from the sub-referendum and
>the bloc casts their votes? What if your Priscus votes and the bloc
>abstains?

# An individual Priscus is not tainted by the result of the
Prisci sub-referendum. (This only matters for cards like Bribes
and Scorn of Adonis that care which way individual minions
voted.) A Priscus is considered to have voted "for" or "against"
(or to have abstained from) the main referendum based on how he
cast his vote(s) in the sub-referendum, regardless of the result
of that sub-referendum. [RTR 20000501]

From this, we can see that a Priscus who votes during the sub-referendum
is considered to have voted (and it may be for or against, or an
abstention).

The outcome of the overall Priscus sub-referendum, and how the 3 votes
are cast (if at all), has no bearing on this. There was, a long time
ago, a ruling that if the 3 votes were cast in favour then all Prisci
were considered to have voted in favour, and so on. But that hasn't
been in effect for a long time.

So, if your Priscus votes for in the sub-referendum, effects on the main
referendum trigger as seeing them vote, and as voting for the
referendum.

LSJ

Jun 7, 2005, 7:22:38 PM6/7/05
Emmit Svenson wrote:

Because 6.3.3. says they cannot be cast in the subreferendum.

Votes that are not explicitly marked for the subreferendum are main
referendum votes.

firstco...@aol.com

Jun 8, 2005, 4:19:30 AM6/8/05
LSJ: PLEASE take the time to read and respond to this! I don't care if
it's not immediately; I understand you're busy. I just want all 5
questions answered sometime this month cause I would hate to repost
them, especially with all the context.

This thread is about Rastacourere. The reason why I question a
sub-referendum's status as referendum without being off topic:

I was originally unsure whether 1a) the sub-referendum is a referendum
unto itself, which uses a different kind of vote; or whether 1b) the
sub-referendum is not a referendum, but a term used to describe a part
of a referendum.

I also wasn't sure whether 2a) all votes must be classified as either
main-referendum or sub-referendum, and Rastacourere only deals with the
former; or whether 2b) a vote is a vote, although some votes are usable
in the sub-referendum and not usable in the main referendum.

I assumed that if the latter were the case, Priscus' conditional votes
would then fall under rulings for other conditional votes--they don't
count for Island of Yiaros, etc.

I went in assuming 2b, but it seems you imply 2a.

Is 1b representative of the way referenda work?
Is 2a representative of the way votes work?

Without these definitions in place, it is difficult to understand the
nature of the relationship between cards like Rastacourere and titles
like Priscus.

------------

> > (If it's not, I don't see how Priscus votes differ from any other
> > conditional votes.)
>
> Conditional votes?
> I don't know what you mean.

I believe you do.
In the thread, "Gehenna Rules Questions for LSJ!", you are asked:

>> B. And on the flipside, conditional votes don't count? So Sundown, the extra
>> vote from the right clan for a Barony, Paragon, and Aura of Invincibility
>> don't count?

and answer:

> Correct.

Later in the same thread, you are asked:

>> How much conditionality is required for the "non-title" votes to not
>> count for Leadership Vacuum (and Political Struggle too, I suppose)?

and respond:

> Any at all.

I assumed that, since you knew what each of these people meant when
they talked about conditional votes, you would know what I meant. If I
need be explicit, I would best use your words to describe instead
NON-conditional votes (from the thread "Political Struggle and Priscus
votes"):

"The votes a vampire would have in the main referendum of any
generic referendum."

Conditional votes would be, therefore, any votes other than those.

To date, no title is worth "conditional" votes. This does not mean one
could not be in the future, and I ask about how Rastacourere would
interact with one at the bottom of this thread.

> >>It makes him abstain (card text), yes.
> >
> > So, can I play Disarming Presence in a sub-referendum to make every
> > vampire who casts votes in the sub-referendum tap? If so, would it
> > also affect the main referendum?
>
> You do not play Disarming Presence in a sub-referendum. You play
> it "during a referendum" (card text).

Then I cannot play Telepathic Vote Counting in a sub-referendum,
either. Also, this means a sub-referendum is not a referendum.

Please verify this conclusion.

> > So then, exactly how conditional must votes be in order to not be
> > affected by Rastacourere?
>
> Conditional?
>
> Titles are not conditional -- in a referendum, a vampire is either

I asked about conditional votes, not conditional titles. There already
exist conditional votes. There do not happen to be titles yet which
grant conditional votes, but (for example) Lithrac could be formalized
in the future. Again, I address this at the bottom of the thread.

------------

A brief summary of why Rastacourere would affect a Priscus' vote
without "main" in its text:

Priscus is a title. It is also worth one vote. There are restrictions
on how this vote may be cast, but it is still a vote. The
subreferendum takes place during a referendum. Therefore, the title
"Priscus" is worth one vote in a referendum. Rastacourere affects
titles, making them worth one less vote in a referendum. It does not
specify main- or sub-referendum.

Rastacourere has been ruled to subtract only from main-referendum
votes, but this ruling does not seem to come from a logical extension
of another ruling, as did (for example) Psyche! vs. Rotschreck, and so
I am trying to understand why Priscus votes are not reduced by this
card.

------------

You presented me with the fictional title of "Pairscus", worth one vote
in the main referendum and one in the sub-referendum. I present you
with two fictional titles: "Opriscus", worth one vote which is usable
in a main- or sub-referendum, and "Burnogen", worth two votes in each
bloodhunt.

How would Rastacourere interact with Opriscus?

How would Rastacourere interact with Burnogen?

-- Brian
Thank you for your time.

LSJ

Jun 8, 2005, 7:23:03 AM6/8/05
firstco...@aol.com wrote:

> LSJ: PLEASE take the time to read and respond to this! I don't care if
> it's not immediately; I understand you're busy. I just want all 5
> questions answered sometime this month cause I would hate to repost
> them, especially with all the context.

I'm not sure why this plea is necessary. I've read and responded to
everything else so far.

> This thread is about Rastacourere. The reason why I question a
> sub-referendum's status as referendum without being off topic:
>
> I was originally unsure whether 1a) the sub-referendum is a referendum
> unto itself, which uses a different kind of vote; or whether 1b) the
> sub-referendum is not a referendum, but a term used to describe a part
> of a referendum.

And it still doesn't matter. If you like to consider it a referendum,
then fine -- but remember, in that case, that cards that refer to votes in a
referendum are referring to main referendum votes by default.

> I also wasn't sure whether 2a) all votes must be classified as either
> main-referendum or sub-referendum, and Rastacourere only deals with the
> former; or whether 2b) a vote is a vote, although some votes are usable
> in the sub-referendum and not usable in the main referendum.

2a) has been answered several times already in this thread and elsewhere.
2b) A vote is a vote, sure.

> I assumed that if the latter were the case, Priscus' conditional votes
> would then fall under rulings for other conditional votes--they don't
> count for Island of Yiaros, etc.

It's not conditional. Yiaros just fails to meet 2a -- Island of Yiaros
doesn't have explicit text about the sub-referendum, so its reference
to number of votes means, by default, "in the main referendum" (and
has since received explicit text to that effect as well -- in CE).

No, I've explicitly stated that both are fine.

> I went in assuming 2b, but it seems you imply 2a.

Both 2a and 2b are correct.

> Is 1b representative of the way referenda work?

If that suits you. It's just a matter of perspective.

> Is 2a representative of the way votes work?

Sure.

> Without these definitions in place, it is difficult to understand the
> nature of the relationship between cards like Rastacourere and titles
> like Priscus.

Then it may be time for my own plea, as the relationship between
the two has been explained in this thread repeatedly:
Rastacourere deals with the number of votes and doesn't explicitly
affect the sub-referendum, so it only affects the main referendum
votes.

> ------------
>>>(If it's not, I don't see how Priscus votes differ from any other
>>>conditional votes.)
>>
>>Conditional votes?
>>I don't know what you mean.
>
> I believe you do.
> In the thread, "Gehenna Rules Questions for LSJ!", you are asked:

(Best to give Google URLs when citing old thread, for ease of reference,
especially for citing a particular post in a lengthy old thread)

But titles are not conditional. You're use of "other" paints the titled
votes as conditional, which does not match my usage in that thread, so
I didn't know what you meant by conditional.

>>>B. And on the flipside, conditional votes don't count? So Sundown, the extra
>>>vote from the right clan for a Barony, Paragon, and Aura of Invincibility
>>>don't count?
>
> and answer:
>>Correct.
>
> Later in the same thread, you are asked:
>>>How much conditionality is required for the "non-title" votes to not
>>>count for Leadership Vacuum (and Political Struggle too, I suppose)?
> and respond:
>>Any at all.
>
> I assumed that, since you knew what each of these people meant when
> they talked about conditional votes, you would know what I meant. If I

Conditional votes are ones that are dependent on some other condition,
as per the question ("conditionality") and the examples given:

Clan Barony Condition: "If this anarch is Brujah or Brujah antitribu, ... in
referendums he or she calls." (e.g.)

Paragon Condition: "... in referendums called by younger vampires."

Aura of Invincibility Condition: "... in referendums he or she calls."

Titles are clearly not conditional, so painting the Priscus title
as conditional led me to believe that you were using it to mean
something else, something which I could not intuit, so I stated so.

> need be explicit, I would best use your words to describe instead
> NON-conditional votes (from the thread "Political Struggle and Priscus
> votes"):
>
> "The votes a vampire would have in the main referendum of any
> generic referendum."

In context of "votes counted by Political Struggle", the "in
the main referendum" is assumed, so was included in the answer
to continue to conform to the already-answered "are Priscus votes
counted by Political Struggle" question of the thread.

Non-conditional votes are ones that don't have conditions attached.
Political Struggle counts non-conditional, main-referendum votes.

Priscus votes, though non-conditional, are not main-referendum votes,
so are not counted by Political Struggle.

> Conditional votes would be, therefore, any votes other than those.

That is non-standard (and misleading, IMO) usage, but OK.
(I'd suggest "Conditional or subreferendum votes" to match your
usage).

With that definition in place...

> To date, no title is worth "conditional" votes. This does not mean one
> could not be in the future, and I ask about how Rastacourere would
> interact with one at the bottom of this thread.

OK.

>>>So, can I play Disarming Presence in a sub-referendum to make every
>>>vampire who casts votes in the sub-referendum tap? If so, would it
>>>also affect the main referendum?
>>
>>You do not play Disarming Presence in a sub-referendum. You play
>>it "during a referendum" (card text).
>
> Then I cannot play Telepathic Vote Counting in a sub-referendum,
> either. Also, this means a sub-referendum is not a referendum.
>
> Please verify this conclusion.

No. The sub-referendum votes must be cast in the same "alignment"
as the vampire's other votes (for, against, or not at all = abstain).

All votes from a single source, both in the main referendum and
in the sub referendum, must be cast in agreement. E.g., Genevieve
cannot cast her Prisci vote against while casting he main-referendum
vote in favor (nor can she abstain with one while voting the other).

TVC causes a vampire to abstain. Therefore, it must "echo" that
abstention in the sub-referendum.

In essence, you can think of the vampire itself as being "for",
"against", or "abstaining" with regards to the current referendum
at the table. All of that vampire's votes are then automatically
set to match his political leaning (his alignment) on that. TVC
sets his alignment to neutral/abstain.

>>>So then, exactly how conditional must votes be in order to not be
>>>affected by Rastacourere?
>>
>>Conditional?
>>
>>Titles are not conditional -- in a referendum, a vampire is either
>
> I asked about conditional votes, not conditional titles. There already

Votes from titles are not conditional in the usual sense.

Votes from Prisci titles are not main-referendum votes, so would
qualify are conditional in your definition, which would mean that
the Priscus title is conditional in the obvious extension of that
definition.

> exist conditional votes. There do not happen to be titles yet which
> grant conditional votes, but (for example) Lithrac could be formalized
> in the future. Again, I address this at the bottom of the thread.

Still OK.

> ------------
>
> A brief summary of why Rastacourere would affect a Priscus' vote
> without "main" in its text:
>
> Priscus is a title. It is also worth one vote. There are restrictions
> on how this vote may be cast, but it is still a vote. The
> subreferendum takes place during a referendum. Therefore, the title
> "Priscus" is worth one vote in a referendum. Rastacourere affects
> titles, making them worth one less vote in a referendum. It does not
> specify main- or sub-referendum.

A brief summary of why Rastacourere would not affect the Priscus's
sub-referendum votes:

Rastacourere lacks subreferendum-affecting text, and it deals with
number of votes, so its reference to number of votes is a reference
to number of main referendum votes, since that is the default.
See also Island of Yiaros, etc.

> Rastacourere has been ruled to subtract only from main-referendum
> votes, but this ruling does not seem to come from a logical extension
> of another ruling, as did (for example) Psyche! vs. Rotschreck, and so
> I am trying to understand why Priscus votes are not reduced by this
> card.

It comes from the logical extension of the "effects that refer to number
of votes refer to the number of main referendum votes by default".

See Island of Yiaros, Political Struggle, burning the Edge, etc.

> ------------
>
> You presented me with the fictional title of "Pairscus", worth one vote
> in the main referendum and one in the sub-referendum. I present you
> with two fictional titles: "Opriscus", worth one vote which is usable
> in a main- or sub-referendum, and "Burnogen", worth two votes in each
> bloodhunt.
>
> How would Rastacourere interact with Opriscus?

If the title were used in the main referendum, it would be worth one fewer
vote.

> How would Rastacourere interact with Burnogen?

If the title were used in the main referendum, it would be worth one fewer
vote.

Emmit Svenson

Jun 8, 2005, 11:41:46 AM6/8/05

LSJ wrote:
> Emmit Svenson wrote:
>

> > firstco...@aol.com wrote:
> >
> >>If Rastacourere reduces a title's votes by one, why does it fail to
> >>reduce a priscus' title's votes by 1?
> >
> > If Bewitching Oration gives a Priscus four votes, why are those votes
> > cast in the main referendum and not in the sub-referendum?
>
> Because 6.3.3. says they cannot be cast in the subreferendum.
>
> Votes that are not explicitly marked for the subreferendum are main
> referendum votes.

My apologies for causing you to waste time on a reply...the question
was meant to answer the original question by counterexample. I should
have known it would just look like a straight question.

Robert Goudie

Jun 8, 2005, 12:04:08 PM6/8/05
LSJ wrote:
> firstco...@aol.com wrote:
>
> > LSJ: PLEASE take the time to read and respond to this! I don't care if
> > it's not immediately; I understand you're busy. I just want all 5
> > questions answered sometime this month cause I would hate to repost
> > them, especially with all the context.
>
> I'm not sure why this plea is necessary. I've read and responded to
> everything else so far.
[clip]

Ugh. That was a painful read. I like the old succint Scott better.
Just give a terse "Correct" or "No" and move on. :-)

-Robert

XZealot

Jun 8, 2005, 3:06:19 PM6/8/05

> Ugh. That was a painful read. I like the old succint Scott better.
> Just give a terse "Correct" or "No" and move on. :-)
>
> -Robert

Head Hurting....

Brain Cells exploding in Chain Reaction.....

Ouch...

Arfab....

Doug

Jun 10, 2005, 1:39:42 PM6/10/05

Like many of the examples given in this thread so far, if there is not
explicit text stating that it applies to the Prisci sub-referendum,
then by default the additional votes apply only to the main referendum.

For example:
Gratiano gets one vote in the Prisci sub-referendum because he is a
Priscus. He gets an additional vote in the Prisci sub-referendum
because of explicit card text. If he were to become a Legendary
Vampire then he would have 1+1 votes in the Prisci sub-referendum, plus
2 votes in the main referendum. The votes granted by the Legendary
Vampire only apply to the main referendum because there is no explicit
text stating otherwise. If he then becomes a Cardinal somehow, he then
has 5 votes in the main referendum (3 for cardinal +2 for Legendary
status), loses his Priscus title because he is now a Cardinal, but
still gets 1 vote in the Prisci sub-referendum due to his card text.

This convoluted example was supposed to illustrate situations where you
have modifications to the votes in the sub-referendum as well as the
main referendum.

Without explicit text stating that the modification affects the Prisci
sub-referendum, any affect only applies to votes in the main
referendum.

Hope this was helpful,
Doug

jeff...@pacbell.net

Jun 10, 2005, 1:49:26 PM6/10/05

Yes, and if Gratiano in the above example had a Rastacourere on him, he
would have 4 votes in the main referendum (only +2 for Cardinal due to
Rasta, +2 for Legendary) and 1 in the Prisci sub-referendum due to his
card text (which is unaffected by Rasta).

Jeff

Doug

Jun 10, 2005, 2:26:16 PM6/10/05
jeff...@pacbell.net wrote:

> Yes, and if Gratiano in the above example had a Rastacourere on him, he
> would have 4 votes in the main referendum (only +2 for Cardinal due to
> Rasta, +2 for Legendary) and 1 in the Prisci sub-referendum due to his
> card text (which is unaffected by Rasta).
>
> Jeff

And (just to be clear) a vanilla Gratiano with a Rastacourere would
have 2 votes in the Prisci sub-referendum.

Doug