Watenda vs. Adana de Sforza

Kushiel

Nov 23, 2009, 12:27:55 PM11/23/09
Watenda and Adana are in combat. Adana plays Majesty, for free.
Watenda cancels that card using his power. Does Watenda pay one blood
(the cost of Majesty) or zero blood (the cost Adana paid) to do so?
The closest parallel explanation I found on the newsgroup involved
Dragos, who has such different wording than Adana that I didn't think
it applied here.

John Eno

Kushiel

Nov 23, 2009, 12:32:37 PM11/23/09

Relevant card texts:

Watenda
Once each combat, Watenda can cancel the effect of a combat card the
opposing minion plays by burning an amount of blood equal to the blood
or pool cost of the card. If the card is a strike card, the opposing
minion chooses a new strike.

Adana de Sforza
Combat cards cost Adana 1 less blood.

Watenda vs. Dragos explanation:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yb9nled

floppyzedolfin

Nov 23, 2009, 12:45:20 PM11/23/09

Closest I could find was :
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/35a6d752e8448786
The part about Terror Frenzy has changed (since 07/07/07), but the
part above (
"
Rex's card text says that the cost is increased, so the cost is
increased. Watenda has to burn blood equal to the cost.
"
) should answer your question, if it's still correct.

Brum

Nov 23, 2009, 5:17:11 PM11/23/09

Relevant card texts here are Watenda's and Majesty's.
The fact that Adana pays one less is irrelevant, because that relates
in nothing in Watenda's wording.

Watenda's text: "...by burning an amount of blood equal to the blood

or pool cost of the card."

Not in Watenda's text: "...by burning an amount of blood equal to the
blood or pool cost of the card for the opposing minion."

Cheers,
Tiago

Malone

Nov 23, 2009, 11:52:03 PM11/23/09

> > Watenda
> > Once each combat, Watenda can cancel the effect of a combat card the
> > opposing minion plays by burning an amount of blood equal to the blood
> > or pool cost of the card. If the card is a strike card, the opposing
> > minion chooses a new strike.
>
> > Adana de Sforza
> > Combat cards cost Adana 1 less blood.

> Relevant card texts here are Watenda's and Majesty's.
> The fact that Adana pays one less is irrelevant, because that relates
> in nothing in Watenda's wording.
>
> Watenda's text: "...by burning an amount of blood equal to the blood
> or pool cost of the card."
>
> Not in Watenda's text: "...by burning an amount of blood equal to the
> blood or pool cost of the card for the opposing minion."
>
> Cheers,
> Tiago

No, Adana's text is relevant, too. It makes the Majesty costs 1 less,
so the cost of the Majesty is 0. Watenda pays 0.

Wilsoros

Nov 24, 2009, 1:19:43 AM11/24/09
The fundamental question is: What determines the cost of the card?
The base printed value or the value which is modified by in game
effects?

I *think* the cost is what should be paid by the vampire playing it,
so Wat is 0. Dragos simply doesn't pay the cost, vs reduce the cost
to zero.

Baaliprimogen

Nov 24, 2009, 2:47:39 AM11/24/09

Why do anyone want to play Majesty with Adana???? Hell, she's a Brujah
and a combat monster! Use her for that!!!!

echia...@yahoo.com

Nov 24, 2009, 2:53:27 AM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 1:47 am, Baaliprimogen <vegardki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why do anyone want to play Majesty with Adana???? Hell, she's a Brujah
> and a combat monster! Use her for that!!!!

Maybe for multi-acting capability? Presence for untap + Psyche! + the
combat cards you *really* wanted to play....

(You could argue that she can already play Earth Meld for free, but
not many Brujah share Protean and you may have other minions in the
deck).

orianice

Nov 24, 2009, 4:45:34 AM11/24/09
it is really surprising since Charisma has about the same wording

Unique master. Put this card on a ready vampire. This vampire`s
recruit ally actions cost 1 less blood or pool (but never less than 0
blood or pool).

and you pay the whole cost for Kindred segregation even if all allies
have been recruited by a vampire with Charisma...

is that a timing issue?

John Best

Nov 24, 2009, 4:57:29 AM11/24/09

No, the cost of majesty is still 1, Adana just pays less.

Adana's text doesn't change the cost of the card, just how she pays
for it, ergo Watenda would still pay 1.

LSJ

Nov 24, 2009, 6:37:39 AM11/24/09

As you note, it is not the same wording: "recruit actions".

Also, "My recruiter" is not game state like an equipment's "my bearer" or a
retainer's "my (current) employer", so the question of Charisma's continuing
effect doesn't really have anything to target.

LSJ

Nov 24, 2009, 6:38:21 AM11/24/09

No. Per card text, the cost is one less.

Kushiel

Nov 24, 2009, 11:18:25 AM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 4:57 am, John Best <johndavidb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> No, the cost of majesty is still 1, Adana just pays less.
>
> Adana's text doesn't change the cost of the card, just how she pays
> for it, ergo Watenda would still pay 1.

For me, the best way to think of it is this: Majesty, the card, costs
one blood. However, specific copies of Majesty played by Adana in
combat cost zero blood. Since those specific copies are the cards that
Watenda cancels, it's the amount that Adana paid for them that matters
when calculating how much blood Watenda needs to burn to cancel them,
not what's printed on the cards that are being canceled.

Thanks for clarifying this for me, floppy and LSJ.

John Eno

Brum

Nov 24, 2009, 6:12:17 PM11/24/09

For Adana, yes.
But Watenda's card text tells us that he pays the same cost as the
opposing minion. Adana doesn't make it cheaper for other minions in
combat with her. Her cardtext is very specific in that. "Combat cards

cost Adana 1 less blood."

Watenda: "...a combat card the opposing minion plays by burning an

amount of blood equal to the blood or pool cost of the card."

Maybe the text could be clearer. Some texts are very clear, others are
ambiguous. Of course, English is not my mother language, but I see
nothing there that relates to the cost to the opposing minion. Just
the plain old cost of the card, regardless of context.

LSJ?

LSJ

Nov 24, 2009, 9:38:39 PM11/24/09

Per card text, the cost of the card in question is one less.