[LSJ] Vagabond Mystic Question

69 vues

Gomi no Sensei

non lue,
10 nov. 2000, 22:27:5210/11/2000
Vagabond Mystic can be tapped while another ally is in combat, since
there's no Heidelbergian text to prohibit it. The question, though, is
this:

Can VM be tapped between the resolution of discrete points of damage?

Say a Renegade Garou is about to take a faceful of Sewer Lid from an
opposing minion. Can the damage resolution be interrupted as follows:

1) Resolve 1 point of damage. Garou at 2 life, 2 damage left to resolve.
2) Resolve 1 point of damage. Garou at 1 life, 1 damage left to resolve.
3) Tap Vagabond Mystic to add 1 life to Garou.
4) Resolve 1 point of damage. Garou at 1 life, 0 damage left to resolve.

And the Garou limps away, still in play.

Does that work?

gomi
--
"I wanted to feel that tug of a body as it jerks and kicks while I hold
the handle and the life erupts from it like water from the cold springs

LSJ

non lue,
11 nov. 2000, 03:00:0011/11/2000
go...@best.com (Gomi no Sensei) wrote:
> Vagabond Mystic can be tapped while another ally is in combat, since
> there's no Heidelbergian text to prohibit it. The question, though, is
> this:
>
> Can VM be tapped between the resolution of discrete points of damage?

Not in the middle of a single damage resolution step, no.
Once you start healing damage (or preventing destruction),
you handle it all.

> Say a Renegade Garou is about to take a faceful of Sewer Lid from an
> opposing minion. Can the damage resolution be interrupted as follows:

> [...]

No. A Sewer Lid will kill the Garou (unless he's able to prevent the
damage - with a Leather Jacket, for instance).

--
LSJ (vte...@white-wolf.com) VTES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Gomi no Sensei

non lue,
11 nov. 2000, 03:00:0011/11/2000
In article <8ujfgp$tia$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>go...@best.com (Gomi no Sensei) wrote:

>> Say a Renegade Garou is about to take a faceful of Sewer Lid from an
>> opposing minion. Can the damage resolution be interrupted as follows:

>> [...]

>No. A Sewer Lid will kill the Garou (unless he's able to prevent the
>damage - with a Leather Jacket, for instance).

Gotcha. So, in combat with a Celeritous minion blurring for 2 additional
strikes (each for 1 damage), I can tap the Mystic after the resolution
of strike #2 but before strike #3 is announced, yes?

Not that I disagree with the ruling about handling all the damage at once,
but the section seems to imply that each point is handled sequentially,
which kind of seems to leave space between each point for loosely defined
Things to happen -- can you help me out with a particular cite or dated
ruling, or should I just read 6.4.6 more narrowly?

LSJ

non lue,
11 nov. 2000, 03:00:0011/11/2000
go...@best.com (Gomi no Sensei) wrote:
> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> >go...@best.com (Gomi no Sensei) wrote:
> >> Can the damage resolution be interrupted as follows:
> >> [...]
>
> >No. A Sewer Lid will kill the Garou (unless he's able to prevent the
> >damage - with a Leather Jacket, for instance).
>
> Gotcha. So, in combat with a Celeritous minion blurring for 2
> additional strikes (each for 1 damage), I can tap the Mystic
> after the resolution of strike #2 but before strike #3 is
> announced, yes?

Yes. (Even after strike #3 is announced - so long as it is before
the damage from strike #3 is resolved).

> Not that I disagree with the ruling about handling all the
> damage at once, but the section seems to imply that each point
> is handled sequentially, which kind of seems to leave space
> between each point for loosely defined Things to happen -- can
> you help me out with a particular cite or dated ruling, or
> should I just read 6.4.6 more narrowly?

Until Deja gets deeper archives, just read 6.4.6 more narrowly.
The normal damage is handled before the aggravated damage, but
it is all handled before moving on (otherwise a vampire would
go to torpor before handling the second point of aggravated
damage, by page 38, and would then handle the second point of
agg from torpor. But, per the ruling on Fame and burning
vampires, this is not the way things happen).

James Coupe

non lue,
11 nov. 2000, 03:00:0011/11/2000
On 11 Nov 2000, Gomi no Sensei wrote:
> Not that I disagree with the ruling about handling all the damage at once,
> but the section seems to imply that each point is handled sequentially,

It's all one effect that resolves together, so in reality it can't be
split up. It's just for ease, really, that you handle each point one at a
time when explaining it to people, I find.

In practise, you find most people end up resolving damage as "Okay, 2 agg
damage... burn a blood and go to torpor."

--
James Coupe | PGP Key 0x5D623D5D
"Steve: Yeah, well that's one of the advantages of being a sad, lonely

0 nouveau message