[LSJ]chruch of the order of st. blaise and powerbase baranquilla

Stefan Ferenci

Jan 5, 2005, 7:47:30 AM1/5/05
ich have the church of the blabla in play and play a pb baranquilla but
control not ready sabbat vamp (i did when i played the church) can i tap
the church and add a counter to the PB before the pb burns?
at gencon you ruled yes, but said i should ask you again on the NG (what
i do now with a little delay)

stefan

LSJ

Jan 5, 2005, 8:49:16 AM1/5/05
"Stefan Ferenci" <nos...@thankyou.com> wrote in message

Correct.
You put Powerbase: Barranquilla in play with no counters (X=0, since you
have zero Sabbat vampires).
You would then have to burn it (since it has no counters), but you
could choose to tap the Church of the Order of St. Blaise first to
add a counter to it.

V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
Though effective, appear to be ineffective -- Sun Tzu

Joshua Duffin

Jan 5, 2005, 11:29:11 AM1/5/05

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

> "Stefan Ferenci" <nos...@thankyou.com> wrote in message
> > ich have the church of the blabla in play and play a pb baranquilla
but
> > control not ready sabbat vamp (i did when i played the church) can i
tap
> > the church and add a counter to the PB before the pb burns?
> > at gencon you ruled yes, but said i should ask you again on the NG
(what
> > i do now with a little delay)
>

> Correct.
> You put Powerbase: Barranquilla in play with no counters (X=0, since
you
> have zero Sabbat vampires).
> You would then have to burn it (since it has no counters), but you
> could choose to tap the Church of the Order of St. Blaise first to
> add a counter to it.

Really? Why is there time to do this before the Powerbase: Barranquilla
burns? It seems like if you put it into play with no counters, its own
card text is going to burn it immediately. I wouldn't have expected
that you could interrupt the burning by adding a counter to it.

Presumably if you can do this, you could likewise put a counter on
Powerbase: New York with Church of the Order of St. Blaise after
removing the last one to keep PB:NY from burning? (Not that there's
much reason to do it in that order rather than first, but still.)

Josh

blah blah blaise!

LSJ

Jan 5, 2005, 11:46:56 AM1/5/05
"Joshua Duffin" <jtdu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Really? Why is there time to do this before the Powerbase: Barranquilla
> burns? It seems like if you put it into play with no counters, its own
> card text is going to burn it immediately. I wouldn't have expected
> that you could interrupt the burning by adding a counter to it.

"Immediately"?
No.
See also ordering effects around Arika et al.

echia...@yahoo.com

Jan 5, 2005, 11:58:59 AM1/5/05

Joshua Duffin wrote:
> "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
> > Correct.
> > You put Powerbase: Barranquilla in play with no counters (X=0,
since
> you
> > have zero Sabbat vampires).
> > You would then have to burn it (since it has no counters), but you
> > could choose to tap the Church of the Order of St. Blaise first to
> > add a counter to it.
>
> Really? Why is there time to do this before the Powerbase:
Barranquilla
> burns? It seems like if you put it into play with no counters, its
own
> card text is going to burn it immediately. I wouldn't have expected
> that you could interrupt the burning by adding a counter to it.
>
> Presumably if you can do this, you could likewise put a counter on
> Powerbase: New York with Church of the Order of St. Blaise after
> removing the last one to keep PB:NY from burning? (Not that there's
> much reason to do it in that order rather than first, but still.)
>

> Josh
>
> blah blah blaise!

I agree that it seems a bit odd. If that's the case then:

#1. Why can't you use a Coven to add blood to a (now) empty vampire
before Anathema triggers?

#2. In a previous ruling involving Corruption's Purge (which focused
more on the timing of a referendum) you stated that:

<< Similarly, you could use Blood Tears of Kephram after a Corruption's
Purge "passes" to give your Follower of Set with two blood two extra
blood to burn (assuming sufficient capacity, of course) to keep him
out of torpor (by keeping him from dropping to zero blood). >>

By this reasoning, wouldn't this work for vampires with one or two
capacity as well? (So the "assuming sufficient capacity" is not
necessary). Lalitha burns 2 blood, but then you use Blood Tears to give
her more blood before Corruption's Purge would have sent her to torpor?

#3. And you'd think that if one of your allies is reduced to 0 life,
you could tap your Vagabond Mystic to add a life to, as Josh put it,
"interrupt the burning by adding a counter to it"?

#4. If there's a window to use effects after putting in play a card
that will be burned, then couldn't you play a War Ghoul (when you have
no retainers or allies) and before you actually burn the War Ghoul due
to its card text, tap it and burn it to toast a location instead? If
not, then how does this timing differ from Church of the Order timing?
- Eric Chiang

LSJ

Jan 5, 2005, 1:03:12 PM1/5/05
<echia...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I agree that it seems a bit odd. If that's the case then:

Because some things trigger on an event happening (the last X being
removed, whatever) and some trigger on a state being true (being
empty).

> #1. Why can't you use a Coven to add blood to a (now) empty vampire
> before Anathema triggers?

The event has still happened.
Tap it before he's empty, of course.

> #2. In a previous ruling involving Corruption's Purge (which focused
> more on the timing of a referendum) you stated that:
>
> << Similarly, you could use Blood Tears of Kephram after a Corruption's
> Purge "passes" to give your Follower of Set with two blood two extra
> blood to burn (assuming sufficient capacity, of course) to keep him
> out of torpor (by keeping him from dropping to zero blood). >>
>
> By this reasoning, wouldn't this work for vampires with one or two
> capacity as well? (So the "assuming sufficient capacity" is not
> necessary). Lalitha burns 2 blood, but then you use Blood Tears to give
> her more blood before Corruption's Purge would have sent her to torpor?

Could be, if anyone played the card. :-)
I had thought of it as a "burn blood and, if you burned your last, move"
which would be the event, but it seems to be written as a state, so
there you go.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulebook/rulebook.html#sec6_4_6

> #4. If there's a window to use effects after putting in play a card
> that will be burned, then couldn't you play a War Ghoul (when you have
> no retainers or allies) and before you actually burn the War Ghoul due
> to its card text, tap it and burn it to toast a location instead? If
> not, then how does this timing differ from Church of the Order timing?

War Ghoul triggers on the event, as written.

salem

Jan 5, 2005, 9:17:09 PM1/5/05
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:46:56 -0500, "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com>
scrawled:

>"Joshua Duffin" <jtdu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Really? Why is there time to do this before the Powerbase: Barranquilla
>> burns? It seems like if you put it into play with no counters, its own
>> card text is going to burn it immediately. I wouldn't have expected
>> that you could interrupt the burning by adding a counter to it.
>
>"Immediately"?
>No.
>See also ordering effects around Arika et al.

i thought Arika, specifically, was a 'during your untap phase', which
meant it was something to be ordered during that phase. (presumably
the methuselah who's untap phase it is gets to 'own' arika's effect,
based on the Leadership Vacuum thing, and can order it how they want).

PB Barran., however, seems to be a 'always checking' thing. it's not
'during a given phase, if counters = 0, burn card', but just anytime
counters = 0, burn card.

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

LSJ

Jan 5, 2005, 10:44:47 PM1/5/05
salem wrote:
> i thought Arika, specifically, was a 'during your untap phase', which
> meant it was something to be ordered during that phase. (presumably
> the methuselah who's untap phase it is gets to 'own' arika's effect,
> based on the Leadership Vacuum thing, and can order it how they want).
>
> PB Barran., however, seems to be a 'always checking' thing. it's not
> 'during a given phase, if counters = 0, burn card', but just anytime
> counters = 0, burn card.

It's checking "during" every phase, right.
(It doesn't use the regular "during X, do Y" template for obvious reasons).

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Daneel

Jan 6, 2005, 3:44:02 AM1/6/05
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 03:44:47 GMT, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

> salem wrote:
>> i thought Arika, specifically, was a 'during your untap phase', which
>> meant it was something to be ordered during that phase. (presumably
>> the methuselah who's untap phase it is gets to 'own' arika's effect,
>> based on the Leadership Vacuum thing, and can order it how they want).
>>
>> PB Barran., however, seems to be a 'always checking' thing. it's not
>> 'during a given phase, if counters = 0, burn card', but just anytime
>> counters = 0, burn card.
>
> It's checking "during" every phase, right.

[hairsplitting]

How come? I thought you could only do one thing once during another
thing by virtue of semantics logic.

[/hairsplitting]

> (It doesn't use the regular "during X, do Y" template for obvious
> reasons).

Oh, I get it. ;)

--
Bye,

Daneel

David Wilson, Mask of a Thousand Names

Jan 7, 2005, 1:08:22 AM1/7/05
Hello LSJ,

If Anathema said burn this vampire if they have zero blood in combat,
then The Coven could save them, correct? since the act "reduced to
zero" causes the burn not the amount of blood on the card.
Good?

David Wilson

LSJ

Jan 7, 2005, 8:00:14 AM1/7/05
"David Wilson, Mask of a Thousand Names" <derv...@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:1105078102.3...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Right.

(Note to rulings-seekers: this is an *if*. The conditional is
not true, so the answer is moot for official games :-)

echia...@yahoo.com

Jan 8, 2005, 1:42:19 AM1/8/05
In the latest December 2004 Rules Team Rulings, it was said that:

The damage resolution phase does not preclude other effects (like
tapping a
Barrens, for example). You may tap the Barrens to attempt to draw into
more
damage prevention, or play Aura Reading when Weather Control damage is
applied (to attempt to draw Skin of Night if a Dawn Operation is in
play,
for example). You still cannot "interrupt" damage handling, however
(you
cannot burn two blood to heal and then use some effect to gain blood
before
burning another blood to heal the remaining third point of damage, for
example).

Say you have an Anathema'ed vampire in play with one blood. During
combat, the opposing minion plays Weather Control. Since this "does not
preclude other effects" (i.e. Barrens can be tapped to try to draw into
a Skin of Night to prevent you from going to torpor during a Dawn Op),
wouldn't this mean you could also tap the Coven to add 2 blood before
healing the WC damage (thus you could avoid being burned by Anathema)?
Same question if you replace WC with Mariel's ability, Vitae Block,
Blood to Water, or Thin Blood and/or Coven with Blood Tears.

Also is this "does not preclude other effects" aspect specific to only
damage resolution? Because couldn't it potentially conflict with the
May 2004 Rules Team Rulings?

Q: Can card-cycling effects (Barrens, Fragment, etc.) be used during
the
"as played" window (so as to allow a player to draw into a Sudden or a
Direct Intervention to cancel the "as played" card)?
A: No. The "as played" window is only as the card is being played. It
is
before that card is replaced, even. The only cards that can be played
"as"
another one is played are the ones the players have in their hands at
the
time. (Not to be confused with the "as the action is announced" step,
which
comes after the action card is played.) This is a reversal of previous
rulings.

So if you play a superior Aura Reading, I cannot tap The Barrens in
hope of drawing a DI. But if you play a Weather Control, I am able to
tap The Barrens, so what happens if I draw a DI then?

I suppose one possibility is that this situation is unique to damage
resolution. You can only play a DI when Weather Control is initially
played. Once you get to damage resolution, it is too late to play a DI
even if you just drew it with The Barrens. If I missed another
possibiliy please let me know. Thanks!

LSJ

Jan 8, 2005, 7:54:15 AM1/8/05
echia...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Say you have an Anathema'ed vampire in play with one blood. During
> combat, the opposing minion plays Weather Control. Since this "does not
> preclude other effects" (i.e. Barrens can be tapped to try to draw into
> a Skin of Night to prevent you from going to torpor during a Dawn Op),
> wouldn't this mean you could also tap the Coven to add 2 blood before
> healing the WC damage (thus you could avoid being burned by Anathema)?

Yes.

> Same question if you replace WC with Mariel's ability, Vitae Block,
> Blood to Water, or Thin Blood and/or Coven with Blood Tears.

Same answer.

> Also is this "does not preclude other effects" aspect specific to only
> damage resolution? Because couldn't it potentially conflict with the
> May 2004 Rules Team Rulings?

When rulings conflict, the most recent wins (treated as a reversal).

> So if you play a superior Aura Reading, I cannot tap The Barrens in
> hope of drawing a DI. But if you play a Weather Control, I am able to
> tap The Barrens, so what happens if I draw a DI then?

In both cases, you'd draw the DI after the card that had been played
was played.

Curevei

Jan 8, 2005, 9:23:55 PM1/8/05
>> ich have the church of the blabla in play and play a pb baranquilla but
>> control not ready sabbat vamp (i did when i played the church) can i tap
>> the church and add a counter to the PB before the pb burns?
>> at gencon you ruled yes, but said i should ask you again on the NG (what
>> i do now with a little delay)
>

>Correct.
>You put Powerbase: Barranquilla in play with no counters (X=0, since you
>have zero Sabbat vampires).
>You would then have to burn it (since it has no counters), but you
>could choose to tap the Church of the Order of St. Blaise first to
>add a counter to it.

So, state-based effects have no priority over fast effects?

I'm not sure people are all that thrilled about putting in Magic terminology,
but there should be some terminology that can be used such that we have some
sort of rules principles to work with. I really have little idea what the
timing rules are (this situation being one of many facets of timing rules) for
this game. The game is almost FIFO but then isn't. It has interrupts but
fuzzy ones. A lot of timing issues may not come up often enough that people
realize the lack of timing rules, but they come up, so it's hugely useful to
have comprehensive ones.

To put it more plainly, why is there a timing window to do anything before the
card burns? Or, put yet another way, why is the burning of the card delayed
for some indeterminate time to allow other (non-triggered) effects?

Joshua Duffin

Jan 9, 2005, 12:18:14 AM1/9/05

"Curevei" <cur...@aol.commetal> wrote in message

[Stefan wrote]

>>> ich have the church of the blabla in play and play a pb baranquilla but
>>> control not ready sabbat vamp (i did when i played the church) can i tap
>>> the church and add a counter to the PB before the pb burns?
>>> at gencon you ruled yes, but said i should ask you again on the NG (what
>>> i do now with a little delay)

[LSJ wrote]

I have to agree here. I can see the distinction you're drawing, Scott,
between effects that are based on checking a "state" and effects that are
based on an "event". But I don't see how it's useful for the game, or in
particular, good for consistency, to treat things that trigger differently
based on whether they're triggering on a state (or a change to a state)
versus an event. (A change in state *is* an event, after all, in standard
usage.)

It doesn't really matter to me whether you can or can't add a counter to
Powerbase: Barranquilla before it burns at 0 counters. But I do think the
game would benefit from having clearer and more consistent timing rules
rather than more complicated ones, unless there's a really good reason to go
the complicated way.

Josh

+1 strength of saint blaise

Gregory Stuart Pettigrew

Jan 9, 2005, 10:20:42 AM1/9/05
> To put it more plainly, why is there a timing window to do anything before the
> card burns? Or, put yet another way, why is the burning of the card delayed
> for some indeterminate time to allow other (non-triggered) effects?

Because it's a state-based effect, you have to choose to examine the
state. So whenever you play an effect, you create a mandatory effect to
examine the card before moving to the next "action" (turn phase, or minion
phase action). For example, whenever a minion loses a blood during your
minion phase, you create a mandatory effect to see if the minion must
hunt.

But just like the mandatory effects in your Untap, you can order them any
way you choose. Thus, when you remove a counter from the Powerbase, you
set up the mandatory check effect, but you need not examine the card until
you finish playing other effects in that "action," which would include
adding a counter via Church of the Order of Saint Blaise.