(LSJ) Bundi and Improvised Flamethrower

JH

Jan 7, 2010, 4:19:44 AM1/7/10
Does Bundi enable you to prevent damage even when not used? Does
Improvised Flamethrower blow up even when not used? I'd say the answer
to these questions is the same, but I'm just not sure if it's yes or
no.

Bundi
Equipment
2 Pool
Melee weapon.
Strike: hand strike for strength+1 damage. (This strike is both a hand
strike and a melee weapon strike). Bearer may prevent 1 damage from
each melee weapon strike made against him or her.

Improvised Flamethrower
Equipment
2 Pool
Weapon.
Strike: 2R aggravated damage, only usable once per combat. If the
opposing minion inflicts any damage on this minion at long range (even
if it is prevented), this weapon is burned and the bearer takes 2
aggravated (non-strike) damage.

LSJ

Jan 7, 2010, 6:28:40 AM1/7/10
On Jan 7, 4:19 am, JH <jhatt...@tenerdo.org> wrote:
> Does Bundi enable you to prevent damage even when not used? Does
> Improvised Flamethrower blow up even when not used? I'd say the answer
> to these questions is the same, but I'm just not sure if it's yes or
> no.

Yes.

Jozxyqk

Jan 7, 2010, 8:08:44 AM1/7/10
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 4:19�am, JH <jhatt...@tenerdo.org> wrote:
> > Does Bundi enable you to prevent damage even when not used? Does
> > Improvised Flamethrower blow up even when not used? I'd say the answer
> > to these questions is the same, but I'm just not sure if it's yes or
> > no.

> Yes.

Notable: The additional strike from Sword of Judgment is also usable when
the weapon is not used for a strike.

Powerlord

Jan 7, 2010, 10:57:16 AM1/7/10
On 7 Jan, 13:08, Jozxyqk <jfeue...@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:

I believe not, Sword of Judgment states that the strike is at +1
damage and that the strike provides de additional strike. The weapon
does not provides the additional strike if you do not use it.

Name: Sword of Judgment
Cardtype: Equipment
Clan: Brujah antitribu
Cost: 2 pool
Unique melee weapon.
Strength+1 damage each strike, with an optional additional strike each
round. Only usable by Brujah antitribu.

Ricardo Marta
Prince of Lisboa
Portugal

John Flournoy

Jan 7, 2010, 11:36:25 AM1/7/10
On Jan 7, 9:57 am, Powerlord <powerlord...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 Jan, 13:08, Jozxyqk <jfeue...@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:
>
> > LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> > > Yes.
>
> > Notable: The additional strike from Sword of Judgment is also usable when
> > the weapon is not used for a strike.
>
> I believe not, Sword of Judgment states that the strike is at +1
> damage and that the strike provides de additional strike. The weapon
> does not provides the additional strike if you do not use it.

Compare to the language of the kPist:

> Name: Sword of Judgment

> Strength+1 damage each strike, with an optional additional strike each
> round. Only usable by Brujah antitribu.

Kpist:
1R damage each strike, with an optional maneuver each combat. When
bearer strikes with this gun, he or she gets an optional additional
strike this round, only usable to strike with this gun.

The Kpist clearly states you must use the gun's strike to get the
additional strike; the SoJ doesn't say that.

LSJ confirms that you don't need to use the SoJ to gain the additional
strike here: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/f282b79dc175b455

> Ricardo Marta
> Prince of Lisboa
> Portugal

-John Flournoy
Prince of Chicago

Powerlord

Jan 7, 2010, 4:32:11 PM1/7/10
On 7 Jan, 16:36, John Flournoy <carne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I believe not, Sword of Judgment states that the strike is at +1
> > damage and that the strike provides de additional strike. The weapon
> > does not provides the additional strike if you do not use it.
>
> Compare to the language of the kPist:
>
> > Name: Sword of Judgment
> > Strength+1 damage each strike, with an optional additional strike each
> > round. Only usable by Brujah antitribu.
>
> Kpist:
> 1R damage each strike, with an optional maneuver each combat. When
> bearer strikes with this gun, he or she gets an optional additional
> strike this round, only usable to strike with this gun.
>
> The Kpist clearly states you must use the gun's strike to get the
> additional strike; the SoJ doesn't say that.
>
> LSJ confirms that you don't need to use the SoJ to gain the additional
> strike here:http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/f282...

> > Ricardo Marta
> > Prince of Lisboa
> > Portugal
>
> -John Flournoy
> Prince of Chicago

If you gain the additional strike, regardless if you use the SoJ, that
means if the oposing minion plays Terror Frenzy or DotB, you still
have the additional strike to use?

In that case, i believe the answer will also be yes, because you are
not "using" the SoJ, only using the additional strike provided by it.

This seams a little corner case...

Meej

Jan 7, 2010, 4:43:14 PM1/7/10

Using the SoJ to get the additional strike is not the same as using
the SoJ to strike, but it's definitely using the SoJ.

The SoJ has two clauses, and thus two things it can be used for -
both, either, or neither. A strike, for Strength + 1; and also an
additional strike. Both are using the equipment, though.

(For the SoJ's additional strike to be dependent on the strike being
used, it'd have to follow the sort of templating seen on either Kpist,
or on Acrobatics. In other words, it could have said "Strike:
Strength + 1 damage with an additional strike." That would also
preclude you choosing to use Blur to get two additionals, also - you'd
already have one in the queue.)

- D.J.

Juggernaut1981

Jan 7, 2010, 4:46:04 PM1/7/10

If you can't "use" the equipment, you can't get the benefits of it.
DotB & Terror Frenzy both say that you cannot use equipment, so I'd be
very surprised if you could use an additional strike provided by a
piece of equipment. Usually that text is irrelevant againt "non
strike effects" (such as +intercept, +stealth, +bleed, Gran Madre Dio,
etc). But IANLSJ.

Juggernaut1981

Jan 7, 2010, 7:48:23 PM1/7/10

Um, LSJ... Is an Improv Flamer a melee weapon now with its 2R agg
strike?

LSJ

Jan 7, 2010, 8:19:17 PM1/7/10

Um, ... No.
Card text.

?

Juggernaut1981

Jan 7, 2010, 8:41:04 PM1/7/10

Sorry, thinking across paths...
Thinking of preventing 1 from Improv flamer with Bundi... this = brain
explosion.