Ambrosius retainer action [LSJ]

tigernat1

Jan 16, 2008, 5:40:21 PM1/16/08
If Ambrosius uses his action to move a retainer from the ashheap to a
ready vampire...does the retainer enter play with life or just pathos
counters? Where in the rules does it state how much life such a
retainer should have? If the retainer is a Masquer and the Masquer is
burned per its ability for +1 intercept before all counters are
removed, does the retainer go to the ashheap or removed from play?

Ambrosius
Unique wraith with 2 life. 1 strength, 0 bleed. Ambrosius is immune to
damage that is not aggravated. He can move a retainer from your ash
heap to a ready vampire you control as an action. Put 3 Pathos
counters on the retainer. Remove a Pathos counter from the retainer at
the beginning of each of your minion phases. When there are no Pathos
counters remaining, remove the retainer from the game.

Masquer
Wraith with 1 life. [nec] Masquer is immune to damage that is not
aggravated. The minion with this retainer gets +1 intercept. You may
burn this retainer to give any minion +1 intercept. [NEC] As above,
with 2 life.

Vegas gNat

Salem

Jan 16, 2008, 5:49:00 PM1/16/08
tigernat1 wrote:
> If Ambrosius uses his action to move a retainer from the ashheap to a
> ready vampire...does the retainer enter play with life or just pathos
> counters? Where in the rules does it state how much life such a
> retainer should have? If the retainer is a Masquer and the Masquer is
> burned per its ability for +1 intercept before all counters are
> removed, does the retainer go to the ashheap or removed from play?

Retainers fetched by methods other than Employ Retainer enter play as if
played at their basic version. So the Masquer would have one life.

If you burn it before it runs out of pathos, it goes to your ash heap.

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'yahoo' to email)

LSJ

Jan 16, 2008, 5:58:22 PM1/16/08

Correct.

Jozxyqk

Jan 16, 2008, 8:36:24 PM1/16/08
Salem <salem_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Retainers fetched by methods other than Employ Retainer enter play as if
> played at their basic version. So the Masquer would have one life.

...unless said bringer-into-play actually meets the requirements of the
superior version, correct?
(I know this is tangential to the Ambrosius question but I just wanted to
clear that up)

James Coupe

Jan 16, 2008, 8:55:19 PM1/16/08
In message <ioCdnVpsNJuFLBPa...@comcast.com>, Jozxyqk

<jfeu...@eecs.tufts.edu> writes:
>Salem <salem_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Retainers fetched by methods other than Employ Retainer enter play as if
>> played at their basic version. So the Masquer would have one life.
>
>...unless said bringer-into-play actually meets the requirements of the
>superior version, correct?

No.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/bd1ce7ac6db10101
3) If you put a retainer that requires a Discipline into play by
a means other than employing it (such as with Darius' ability),
treat it as though it had been brought into play with the basic
version of the Discipline. [TOM 19960221]

Darius's text is now clearer on this, but it wasn't then.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

Jozxyqk

Jan 17, 2008, 6:36:40 AM1/17/08
James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:
> In message <ioCdnVpsNJuFLBPa...@comcast.com>, Jozxyqk
> <jfeu...@eecs.tufts.edu> writes:
> >Salem <salem_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Retainers fetched by methods other than Employ Retainer enter play as if
> >> played at their basic version. So the Masquer would have one life.
> >
> >...unless said bringer-into-play actually meets the requirements of the
> >superior version, correct?

> No.

> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/bd1ce7ac6db10101
> 3) If you put a retainer that requires a Discipline into play by
> a means other than employing it (such as with Darius' ability),
> treat it as though it had been brought into play with the basic
> version of the Discipline. [TOM 19960221]

> Darius's text is now clearer on this, but it wasn't then.

Hmm.. I guess what I was thinking of was Allies and Recruiting (or not), but that
should be a sufficient parallel.

If, for example, Eze the Demon Prince plays Daemonic Possession to retreive
an Underbridge Stray, he only gets the basic version (so it would not have
1 strength)?

LSJ

Jan 17, 2008, 7:48:16 AM1/17/08

Here's the thing: if you have to meet the requirements in order to move the card
into play, then you have to figure out which requirements you're meeting. If you
don't have to meet the requirements, then you don't choose which level (and take
the default instead).

Johannes Walch

Jan 17, 2008, 9:58:15 AM1/17/08
LSJ schrieb:

Damn, there goes the Eze -> Daemonic Possession on Underbridge Stray deck.

Killiam

Jan 17, 2008, 11:07:38 AM1/17/08
Lately I've been putting at least one copy of Robert Carter into any
of my decks that use Ambrosius. Ambrosius puts him on a vamp who may
immediately bleed at +2. The vamp doesn't pay Robert's upkeep the
following turn, so Robert is burned and goes back to the ash heap.
Rise, repeat.

-Bill

Killiam

Jan 17, 2008, 11:13:36 AM1/17/08
On Jan 17, 9:07 am, Killiam <william.tro...@colorado.edu> wrote:

> Rise, repeat.

*Rinse* repeat. Rising's good, though, I suppose.