Challenge - Make Seterpenre useful

librarian

Dec 20, 2007, 1:10:02 AM12/20/07
Seterpenre [LotN:U]
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Follower of Set
Group: 5
Capacity: 10
Discipline: AUS NEC OBF PRE SER
Independent: When Seterpenre enters play, put up to four master:
Discipline cards on him from your hand, ash heap and/or library (shuffle
afterward). Discipline cards do not affect his capacity.
Artist: Ken Meyer, Jr.

No votes, no + anything, no dope special like Nakhtoreb or even Pentweret.

If you are using Seterpenre in a settite deck, you are paying 4 pool for
a useless special, since he already has all in-clan at SUP.

He could be used in a Trochomancy deck I guess...

So, what would you do with him?

best -

chris
--
Super Fun Cards
http://stores.ebay.com/superfuncards/

Petri Wessman

Dec 20, 2007, 4:00:00 AM12/20/07
Hmm, difficult. I wonder if Spontaneous Power counts as a master:
Discipline card in this context? That would open up some (small)
amount of extra flexibiity.

But no, no real ideas yet here.

//Petri

Dec 20, 2007, 4:36:42 AM12/20/07
> No votes, no + anything, no dope special like Nakhtoreb or even Pentweret.
>
> If you are using Seterpenre in a settite deck, you are paying 4 pool for
> a useless special, since he already has all in-clan at SUP.
>
> He could be used in a Trochomancy deck I guess...
>
> So, what would you do with him?

I reckon he's pretty cool. Great for tricks or weird discipline
combos that are hard to get on other vamps. Def wouldn't play him in
a normal Settite deck, but so what.
I haven't got any decks for him, but that's because I haven't spent
time trying to work them out... maybe because I don't own enough to
actually build a deck with him, (I think I own 1 copy of him).

Give him POT and CEL and play Typhonic beast/blur? that one springs
instantly to mind.

-> J
grail_pbem "at" hotmail.com

James Coupe

Dec 20, 2007, 4:58:13 AM12/20/07
In message <b935e53e-9fd5-48ef...@s8g2000prg.googlegroups

.com>, Petri Wessman <or...@orava.org> writes:
>Hmm, difficult. I wonder if Spontaneous Power counts as a master:
>Discipline card in this context? That would open up some (small)
>amount of extra flexibiity.

It shouldn't, because it's only a Discipline card when it's in play. In
this sense, it should be the same as looking for an ally, but not being
able to find Jake Washington, or similar.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

James Coupe

Dec 20, 2007, 5:14:58 AM12/20/07
In message <1Hnaj.17514$Rf5....@newsfe13.phx>, librarian
<auct...@superfuncards.com> writes:
>Seterpenre [LotN:U]

>Clan: Follower of Set
>Group: 5
>Capacity: 10
>Discipline: AUS NEC OBF PRE SER
>Independent: When Seterpenre enters play, put up to four master:
>Discipline cards on him from your hand, ash heap and/or library
>(shuffle afterward). Discipline cards do not affect his capacity.
>
>No votes, no + anything, no dope special like Nakhtoreb or even Pentweret.
>
>If you are using Seterpenre in a settite deck, you are paying 4 pool
>for a useless special, since he already has all in-clan at SUP.

Well, the obvious thing to do is to look at him and think "Hmmm, 10 cap,
and only SER for serious untaps, and that's expensive." So you might
look at giving him an untap discipline - FOR is obvious, but THA might
work too. Then you start thinking "What can I do with multi-actions,
and what other discipline(s) do I want?"

Also, being untitled, there's an easy possibility to switch to Anarch.
You could give up to 9 disciplines in total, and take your pick of the
Anarch tech. Of course, that may work better in the future with new
Anarch tech, perhaps.

Oh, and because it's possible... since this isn't playing the card, you
could put Abombwe on Seterpenre, avoiding the need for Protean or
Laibonitude. (See also using Abombwe on a progeny.) I don't know if
there's interesting tech there, but since it's possible, it might be
worth looking at.

Also, Waters of Duat lets you fetch a discipline master for the spawn
(rather than the Tumninos/Web of Knives specify the discipline
mechanism), so whatever weird discipline badness you attempt, you could
get some trusty helpers. It would help you thin out masters so that you
didn't jam on them totally, but keep a few so that you can play them on
any other vampires you bring out. And again, the WoDuat can get
Abombwe, just in case there's something cool there.

If going the Abombwe route... Norm had an interesting deck that spawned
Gargoyles with Abombwe, which might be worth investigating to see if
there were any useful or thought-provoking comments about how to use
Abombwe effectively.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/7f95ced7a2eff6e2
was one such deck (the Eldest Command Flying Monkeys).
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/eceaaf10c18adc72
was a thread where such ideas were discussed, including
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/f3c121021a673761
where some guy was stupid enough to suggest some of the ideas used in
the Flying Monkeys deck.

If you have a truck load of Discipline masters in your deck, you could
always experiment with Brothers Grimm, too. They can always be recycled
for your spawn.

Jozxyqk

Dec 20, 2007, 6:39:32 AM12/20/07
librarian <auct...@superfuncards.com> wrote:
> Seterpenre [LotN:U]
> Cardtype: Vampire
> Clan: Follower of Set
> Group: 5
> Capacity: 10
> Discipline: AUS NEC OBF PRE SER
> Independent: When Seterpenre enters play, put up to four master:
> Discipline cards on him from your hand, ash heap and/or library (shuffle
> afterward). Discipline cards do not affect his capacity.
> Artist: Ken Meyer, Jr.

> No votes, no + anything, no dope special like Nakhtoreb or even Pentweret.

> If you are using Seterpenre in a settite deck, you are paying 4 pool for
> a useless special, since he already has all in-clan at SUP.

> He could be used in a Trochomancy deck I guess...

> So, what would you do with him?

I was thinking about giving him ANI/FOR, and making a wallish deck with
Mental Maze.

If you want to do something crazy and silly with Seterpenre, give him 2
OBT skillcards (and 2 of something else) when he comes into play. Have him
Descend into Darkness. When he comes back from the Darkness, his special
triggers again. Repeat until you have all the disciplines you want on him.

How about Seterpenre's Legion? Stuff your deck with skillcards and make
them into weenies.

Petri Wessman

Dec 20, 2007, 7:13:24 AM12/20/07
On Dec 20, 11:58 am, James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:
> It shouldn't, because it's only a Discipline card when it's in play. In
> this sense, it should be the same as looking for an ally, but not being
> able to find Jake Washington, or similar.

Ah, yes, should have checked the exact card text there.

I like your Abombwe ideas... not sure if it makes for anything really
practical, but it might be amusing :D

//Petri

Mr_Wyrm (AKA Pentex)

Dec 20, 2007, 7:28:18 AM12/20/07
im to lazy to build the deck, but using POT skills cards, can use
waters (as someone says), bima, shock trops, etc... to make the most
awesome weenie pot that someone ever has see XD

also, you can do the same with ani other skill (but shock troops
cannot vote or bleed :S)

Crypt [2 vampires] Capacity min: 4 max: 10 average: 7

1x Seterpenre 10 AUS NEC OBF PRE SER Follower :
5
1x Fabrizia Contreraz 4 dem pot archbishop !
Malkavian:4

Library [6 cards]

Action [2]
2x Waters of Duat

Ally [1]
1x Bima

Master [3]
1x Potence
2x Shock Troops

Temporis

Dec 20, 2007, 7:37:15 AM12/20/07
On Dec 20, 11:39 am, Jozxyqk <jfeue...@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:
> them into weenies.- Hide quoted text -

OMG this is inspired, there is definitely a trick deck here somewhere.

Seirhune

Dec 20, 2007, 7:54:04 AM12/20/07
I had been thinking giving him QUI/CHI because I was batting about a
stupid "Seterpenre plays all those AUS/Indie Discipline cards"
Trochomancy, Draught of the Soul, Nightmare Curse, Heart's Desire,
Weigh the Heart, etc.

Stupid, but I thought it might be fun....maybe back it up with some
indie aus nerds.

Probably madness
-D

Peter D Bakija

Dec 20, 2007, 8:33:21 AM12/20/07
On Dec 20, 1:10 am, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:
> So, what would you do with him?

Dude. You totally give him POT, FOR, and with the SER he becomes a
total Freak Driving, bleeding, Typhonic Beast killing machine. C'mere,
Enkidu...

-P

XZealot

Dec 20, 2007, 9:22:03 AM12/20/07
On Dec 20, 1:10 am, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:
> Seterpenre [LotN:U]
> Cardtype: Vampire
> Clan: Follower of Set
> Group: 5
> Capacity: 10
> Discipline: AUS NEC OBF PRE SER
> Independent: When Seterpenre enters play, put up to four master:
> Discipline cards on him from your hand, ash heap and/or library (shuffle
> afterward). Discipline cards do not affect his capacity.
> Artist: Ken Meyer, Jr.
>
> No votes, no + anything, no dope special like Nakhtoreb or even Pentweret.
>
> If you are using Seterpenre in a settite deck, you are paying 4 pool for
> a useless special, since he already has all in-clan at SUP.
>
> He could be used in a Trochomancy deck I guess...
>
> So, what would you do with him?

Every deck idea that I come up with is simply better to just use
Nakhthorheb rather than Seterpenre. So I though up a deck using both
of them.

Deck Name : The Bottomless Pit
Author : Norman S. Brown, Jr
Description :
This is a Nakthorheb deck where you use the Eternal Mask to repeatedly
put Seterpenre back into play to perform unblockable action with
Daring the Dawn which burns him and makes him availible for the next
Eternal Mask on the following round.

Crypt [10 vampires] Capacity min: 4 max: 10 average: 8.8

4x Nakhthorheb 10 OBF PRE SER Follower :4
4x Seterpenre 10 AUS NEC OBF PRE SER Follower :5
2x Leila Monroe 4 dom obt pre Lasombra:4

Library [90 cards]

Action [26]
6x Eternal Mask, The
6x Force of Will
3x Form of Corruption
4x Go Anarch
4x Temptation
3x Waters of Duat

Action Modifier [27]
8x Approximation of Loyalty
6x Bewitching Oration
8x Daring the Dawn
5x Voter Captivation

Combat [10]
5x Catatonic Fear
5x Target Vitals

Master [18]
3x Anarch Revolt
1x Effective Management
4x Eternals of Sirius, The
2x Fortitude
2x Golconda: Inner Peace
5x Minion Tap
1x Path of Death and the Soul

Political Action [9]
9x Free States Rant

Crafted with : Anarch Revolt Deck Builder. [Thu Dec 20 08:21:27 2007]

librarian

Dec 20, 2007, 10:29:23 AM12/20/07
J wrote:
>> No votes, no + anything, no dope special like Nakhtoreb or even Pentweret.
>>
>> If you are using Seterpenre in a settite deck, you are paying 4 pool for
>> a useless special, since he already has all in-clan at SUP.
>>
>> He could be used in a Trochomancy deck I guess...
>>
>> So, what would you do with him?
>
> I reckon he's pretty cool. Great for tricks or weird discipline
> combos that are hard to get on other vamps. Def wouldn't play him in
> a normal Settite deck, but so what.
> I haven't got any decks for him, but that's because I haven't spent
> time trying to work them out... maybe because I don't own enough to
> actually build a deck with him, (I think I own 1 copy of him).

That's what JOL is for!

> Give him POT and CEL and play Typhonic beast/blur? that one springs
> instantly to mind.

Hmm, interesting...

librarian

Dec 20, 2007, 10:38:15 AM12/20/07

Do these combo together?

> Master [18]
> 3x Anarch Revolt
> 1x Effective Management
> 4x Eternals of Sirius, The
> 2x Fortitude
> 2x Golconda: Inner Peace
> 5x Minion Tap
> 1x Path of Death and the Soul
>
> Political Action [9]
> 9x Free States Rant
>

> Crafted with : Anarch Revolt Deck Builder. [Thu Dec 20 08:21:27 2007]

Probably want a few Set's Curse to remove those pesky Allies who can
block those Daring the dawn modified actions...

XZealot

Dec 20, 2007, 10:46:38 AM12/20/07

Yes, they do until LSJ gets around to saying that they don't.

> > Master [18]
> > 3x Anarch Revolt
> > 1x Effective Management
> > 4x Eternals of Sirius, The
> > 2x Fortitude
> > 2x Golconda: Inner Peace
> > 5x Minion Tap
> > 1x Path of Death and the Soul
>
> > Political Action [9]
> > 9x Free States Rant
>
> > Crafted with : Anarch Revolt Deck Builder. [Thu Dec 20 08:21:27 2007]
>
> Probably want a few Set's Curse to remove those pesky Allies who can
> block those Daring the dawn modified actions...

That's what the Catatonic Fear + Target Vitals is for. Poofing
Renegade Garou with Presence is PHUN (Pretty Hot Unbalanced
Nutpucher).

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp

LSJ

Dec 20, 2007, 10:47:04 AM12/20/07
librarian wrote:

> XZealot wrote:
>> Combat [10]
>> 5x Catatonic Fear
>> 5x Target Vitals
>
> Do these combo together?

Yes.

Google Target Vitals Catatonic author:LSJ

adam....@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2007, 11:29:41 AM12/20/07

Do all the master cards go on him at the same time, or can you choose
order?

For protean then abombwe of course...

Jozxyqk

Dec 20, 2007, 11:48:50 AM12/20/07
adam....@gmail.com <adam....@gmail.com> wrote:

Abombwe only cares about protean/laibonness when it is played.
Seterpenre's ability ignores that restriction. He can get Abombwe
skillcards without protean or being laibon at all.

Malone

Dec 20, 2007, 12:03:02 PM12/20/07

> Seterpenre [LotN:U]
> Cardtype: Vampire
> Clan: Follower of Set
> Group: 5
> Capacity: 10
> Discipline: AUS NEC OBF PRE SER
> Independent: When Seterpenre enters play, put up to four master:
> Discipline cards on him from your hand, ash heap and/or library (shuffle
> afterward). Discipline cards do not affect his capacity.
>
> If you are using Seterpenre in a settite deck, you are paying 4 pool for
> a useless special, since he already has all in-clan at SUP.
>
> He could be used in a Trochomancy deck I guess...
>
> So, what would you do with him?

I plan to give him Fortitude and Animalism and put him in an
Underbridge Stray / Shambling Hordes deck with Harbinger back-up.
Presence is for Summoning, Obfuscate for Cloak and Veil, and I may
ignore Serpentis aside from maybe one or two Temptation for a little
extra multi-acting. It's still only a half-baked idea.

wumpus

Dec 20, 2007, 1:48:41 PM12/20/07
Howdy Chris,

> Seterpenre [LotN:U]
> Cardtype: Vampire
> Clan: Follower of Set
> Group: 5
> Capacity: 10
> Discipline: AUS NEC OBF PRE SER
> Independent: When Seterpenre enters play, put up to four master:
> Discipline cards on him from your hand, ash heap and/or library (shuffle
> afterward). Discipline cards do not affect his capacity.
> Artist: Ken Meyer, Jr.
>
> No votes, no + anything, no dope special like Nakhtoreb or even Pentweret.
>
> If you are using Seterpenre in a settite deck, you are paying 4 pool for
> a useless special, since he already has all in-clan at SUP.
>
> He could be used in a Trochomancy deck I guess...
>
> So, what would you do with him?

When I saw him I immediately thought of using him as the core of (Yet
Another permutation of) my Snake Eyes concept.

I'd give him PRO, for, and I dunno what else for the fourth
discipline. That way he can Eagle's Sight my prey's attempt to get
the Edge, Earth Meld and untap, and play Extortion, making getting the
Edge that much more important. (The Fortitude card is just in case of
Kiss of Ra, though I suppose you could also go for Freak Drive
goodness.)

With the Path of Typhon in play, the Extortion is free, and Earth Meld
is free S:CE and untap (unlike Majesty). The real problem is ensuring
an adequate supply of Eagle's Sight. Which is why I'm sticking with
my Anneke (+ Book of Going Forth by Night) design instead...

But that's what I'd try if I were going to try to use him.

Alex

XZealot

Dec 20, 2007, 2:08:16 PM12/20/07

Or you could give him Pro and Thau to be able to play Horrific
Countenance and Perfect Clarity and Hide the Mind to make it
unblockable and unbouncable.

librarian

Dec 20, 2007, 2:56:13 PM12/20/07
XZealot wrote:

> Or you could give him Pro and Thau to be able to play Horrific
> Countenance and Perfect Clarity and Hide the Mind to make it
> unblockable and unbouncable.

Harrod plays Lost in Translation! Doh!

The Lasombra

Dec 20, 2007, 4:21:45 PM12/20/07
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 06:22:03 -0800 (PST), XZealot wrote:

>Deck Name : The Bottomless Pit
>Author : Norman S. Brown, Jr
>Description :
>This is a Nakthorheb deck where you use the Eternal Mask to repeatedly
>put Seterpenre back into play to perform unblockable action with
>Daring the Dawn which burns him and makes him availible for the next
>Eternal Mask on the following round.

>Crypt [10 vampires] Capacity min: 4 max: 10 average: 8.8
>4x Nakhthorheb 10 OBF PRE SER Follower :4
>4x Seterpenre 10 AUS NEC OBF PRE SER Follower :5
>2x Leila Monroe 4 dom obt pre Lasombra:4

Is that the bottomless pit where the cheating phase never ends?
Only 10 vampires....

XZealot

Dec 20, 2007, 4:33:25 PM12/20/07

shh.... I'm leaving room for Enkidu

Meej

Dec 20, 2007, 6:22:19 PM12/20/07
On Dec 20, 9:22 am, XZealot <xzea...@cox.net> wrote:

> Deck Name : The Bottomless Pit
> Author : Norman S. Brown, Jr
> Description :
> This is a Nakthorheb deck where you use the Eternal Mask to repeatedly
> put Seterpenre back into play to perform unblockable action with
> Daring the Dawn which burns him and makes him availible for the next
> Eternal Mask on the following round.

Norm, I hate to burst your bubble, but... umm...

If Seterpenre's been burned, Nakthorheb's just stuck; there's nobody
around to Mask Seterpenre back into play next turn.
See LSJ's response here:
http://tinyurl.com/yu5qd2

- D.J.

XZealot

Dec 20, 2007, 8:06:32 PM12/20/07

I don't see that in that thread. Can LSJ confirm?

XZealot

Dec 20, 2007, 8:09:09 PM12/20/07
On Dec 20, 1:56 pm, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:
> XZealot wrote:
>
> > Or you could give him Pro and Thau to be able to play Horrific
> > Countenance and Perfect Clarity and Hide the Mind to make it
> > unblockable and unbouncable.
>
> Harrod plays Lost in Translation! Doh!
>
> best -

Yes, the Invincible Harrod, Gwendolyn, Eze, Enkidu, Hazimel and
Suktehk draft deck.

I rightly fear it.

LSJ

Dec 20, 2007, 10:36:42 PM12/20/07

Nakthor uses Eternal Mask to put Seter into play.
Seter burns himself somehow.
Nakthor still has the Eternal Mask (and cannot act).
Eternal Mask's ability to burn itself and Seter during any untap cannot be used,
because one of the targets doesn't exits (since Seter is no longer in play).

Wookie813

Dec 20, 2007, 10:58:01 PM12/20/07
On Dec 20, 1:10 am, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:
> Seterpenre [LotN:U]
> Cardtype: Vampire
> Clan: Follower of Set
> Group: 5
> Capacity: 10
> Discipline: AUS NEC OBF PRE SER
> Independent: When Seterpenre enters play, put up to four master:
> Discipline cards on him from your hand, ash heap and/or library (shuffle
> afterward). Discipline cards do not affect his capacity.
> Artist: Ken Meyer, Jr.
>
> No votes, no + anything, no dope special like Nakhtoreb or even Pentweret.
>
> If you are using Seterpenre in a settite deck, you are paying 4 pool for
> a useless special, since he already has all in-clan at SUP.
>
> He could be used in a Trochomancy deck I guess...
>
> So, what would you do with him?

Here's a question:

Will Reform Body counter the burn effect of Dual Form? If so, perhaps
give him PRO and VIS so you can Dual Form him and have TWO vamps with
that giant pile of discs and an out should one go to torpor.

Reform Body
This card can be played as a combat card or a reaction card.
vis:Only usable by a vampire being burned. This vampire goes to torpor
instead. May be played by a vampire in torpor.
VIS: As above, and this vampire gains 2 blood from the blood bank.

Dual Form
2 blood
+1 stealth action
pro: Untap this vampire. During this minion phase, you may untap this
vampire again.
PRO: This acting vampire's capacity is reduced by 1. Put this card in
play, tapped. It becomes a non-unique vampire with the same clan,
capacity and disciplines as the acting vampire. You may move up to 2
blood from the acting vampire to this vampire. If either minion leaves
the ready region, the other is burned.

Wookie813

Dec 20, 2007, 11:05:43 PM12/20/07

I went ahead and looked this up - turns out it was already discussed,
and from what I could tell, a Reform Body would leave both vampires in
torpor. So there ya go.

Darby Keeney

Dec 21, 2007, 11:51:46 AM12/21/07
On Dec 20, 8:29 am, librarian <aucti...@superfuncards.com> wrote:
> > Give him POT and CEL and play Typhonic beast/blur?  that one springs
> > instantly to mind.
>
> Hmm, interesting...

Typhonic Beast always seemed more of a Trap card than a Blur card to
me. Especially in this case, since Seterpenre already has AUS for
Telepathic Tracking.

I would opt for [pot][pot][vis][vis] - giving you agg hands for the
final +damage strike (Chiropteran Marauder) and options for Kraken's
Kiss under Typhonic Beast (refill yourself in Trapped combat with
repeating ranged theft from a single card). Don't underestimate
Kraken's - I've used it very effectively in a Trap/Horrid Form deck of
similar (though simpler and better?) design.

Add Temptation. Burn your predator's minions (Trap, Typhonic Beast,
Marauder).....borrow everyone elses' (Tempt, Trap, Typhonic Beast,
Kraken's Kiss)......win. Of course, that assumes you live long enough
to make everything work.

IC-O...@yandex.ru

Dec 22, 2007, 3:53:39 AM12/22/07
> If you want to do something crazy and silly with Seterpenre, give him 2
> OBT skillcards (and 2 of something else) when he comes into play.  Have him
> Descend into Darkness.  When he comes back from the Darkness, his special
> triggers again.  Repeat until you have all the disciplines you want on him.

Sorry, just to confirm does this combo realy works?

Dec 22, 2007, 6:44:25 AM12/22/07
> Typhonic Beast always seemed more of a Trap card than a Blur card to
> me. Especially in this case, since Seterpenre already has AUS for
> Telepathic Tracking.

My most successful Typhonic Beast deck played Madame Guil with Alastor/
Eye of Hazimel, Grapple/Blur. More efficient than hoping to be able
to press to second round. And better incase of hitback.

> repeating ranged theft from a single card). Don't underestimate
> Kraken's - I've used it very effectively in a Trap/Horrid Form deck of
> similar (though simpler and better?) design.

I had a Ian Forestal Krakens' Kiss deck... was pretty fun. Magic up
the Eye, and then Thoughts/Trap/Fear of the Void/Terror Frenzy/
Kraken's Kiss. If it got going it was devestating.

--> J
grail_pbem "at" hotmail.com

LSJ

Dec 22, 2007, 7:36:08 AM12/22/07

Yes. Card text: "When Seterpenre enters play"

Keyword for future googling: Descent into Darkness.