Bl Question

tetragrammaton

Dec 10, 2001, 8:53:44 AM12/10/01
Flight, Infernal, Slave, Scarce, Sterile.

Which of these new characteristics
fall under the "special ability" category for
purpose of Seed of Corruption (and would-be like) cards ?

Thanks in advance

Emiliano, vek Prince of Rome

LSJ

Dec 10, 2001, 9:07:20 AM12/10/01
tetragrammaton wrote:

> Flight, Infernal, Slave, Scarce, Sterile.
>
> Which of these new characteristics
> fall under the "special ability" category for
> purpose of Seed of Corruption (and would-be like) cards ?

Flight.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Sorrow

Dec 10, 2001, 7:41:35 PM12/10/01
> > Flight, Infernal, Slave, Scarce, Sterile.
> > Which of these new characteristics
> > fall under the "special ability" category for
> > purpose of Seed of Corruption (and would-be like) cards ?
> Flight.

Why only Flight?

Sorrow
---
"Happiness sucks" -me

Gomi no Sensei

Dec 10, 2001, 6:13:34 PM12/10/01
In article <u1aeif3...@corp.supernews.com>, Sorrow <cbo...@apdi.net> wrote:
>> > Flight, Infernal, Slave, Scarce, Sterile.
>> > Which of these new characteristics
>> > fall under the "special ability" category for
>> > purpose of Seed of Corruption (and would-be like) cards ?
>> Flight.

>Why only Flight?

Because it's the only one that is not a restriction.

Flight: May play cards requiring Flight (ability).
Infernal: May not remain untapped at the end of the untap phase unless a pool
is spent (restriction).
Slave: May not take (D) actions unless a member of the slaveholding clan is
controlled (restriction).
Scarce: May not come into play unless 3 pool per controlled member of that
clan is paid (restriction).
Sterile: May not take (list of actions) (restriction).

Seeds of Corruption only removes abilities, not restrictions.

gomi
--
Blood, guts, guns, cuts
Knives, lives, wives, nuns, sluts

The Nosferatu Stuff

Dec 10, 2001, 9:43:43 PM12/10/01
"Gomi no Sensei" <go...@panix.com> wrote in message

You have to say that is sort of strange. Flight does not allow a vampire to
do anything he is not allowed by the rules? How is it an ability? Will it
also remove a blood brothers circle? A similar card text that only has
relation to certain cards. How about sect? Also, has no additional benifit
other then in relations to other cards? It doesn't seem like flight allows
a vampire to do anything he isn't normally able to do, such as steal 2 blood
as an action.
--
Aaron
The Nosferatu Stuff

Gomi no Sensei

Dec 11, 2001, 12:08:33 AM12/11/01
In article <zpeR7.46579$cU4.6...@typhoon.mw.mediaone.net>,

The Nosferatu Stuff <roans...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>You have to say that is sort of strange. Flight does not allow a vampire to
>do anything he is not allowed by the rules? How is it an ability? Will it
>also remove a blood brothers circle? A similar card text that only has
>relation to certain cards. How about sect? Also, has no additional benifit
>other then in relations to other cards? It doesn't seem like flight allows
>a vampire to do anything he isn't normally able to do, such as steal 2 blood
>as an action.

The test for Seeds of Corruption, per LSJ 19970801, is:

'"Special ability" includes all non-sect, non-title text. (note that this
only means that the affected vampire cannot do anything that he is allowed
to do only by special ability - not that he can now overcome some special
restriction.'

Flight and circle designations are non-sect, non-title text which allow
a vampire to do things he is otherwise not allowed to do -- to wit,
play cards requiring flight and membership in a particular circle
respectively.

Therefore, they'd be turned off by Seeds. Interestingly, card text on
Seeds states: "The vampire cannot use his or her special abilities."
This doesn't say the abilities are removed. In the specific case of
circle membership, I think one might argue that cards played by
another member still work -- the Seeded vampire could not, of course,
play Octopod to benefit another member of its circle in combat, since
that's out and out 'use' of the 'circle' special ability, but it's
just possible that a non-Seeded BBR could play Octopod to benefit
a Seeded BBR in combat.

LSJ

Dec 11, 2001, 6:15:24 AM12/11/01
The Nosferatu Stuff wrote:
> Will it
> also remove a blood brothers circle?

No.

> How about sect?

No.

The Nosferatu Stuff

Dec 11, 2001, 7:07:21 AM12/11/01
"Gomi no Sensei" <go...@panix.com> wrote in message

LSJ? Anything on this? If indeed the seed test is any non-title,
non-restricting text how does circle not apply? Remind me again what makes
it a restriction by the rules?

LSJ

Dec 11, 2001, 8:06:49 AM12/11/01
The Nosferatu Stuff wrote:
> LSJ? Anything on this? If indeed the seed test is any non-title,
> non-restricting text how does circle not apply? Remind me again what makes
> it a restriction by the rules?

New ruling.

LSJ

Dec 11, 2001, 8:14:44 AM12/11/01
Sorrow wrote:

> > > Flight, Infernal, Slave, Scarce, Sterile.
> > > Which of these new characteristics
> > > fall under the "special ability" category for
> > > purpose of Seed of Corruption (and would-be like) cards ?
> > Flight.
>
> Why only Flight?

Good point.

Infernal, Slave, Scarce, and Circle are similar to Clan and Sect:
merely designations as to what the vampire is (and therefore not
affected by Seeds).

Cold Iron Vulnerability is also a trait and is not affected.
(New ruling).

Sterile is obviously a restriction, if not a trait as above, so
is clearly not affected.

Flight is similar to a Discipline (and should therefore not be
affected). [BL 3.5] It isn't a "this vampire may play cards that
require flight" ability - it's just "this vampire has flight".
(Reversal to my previous post quoted above).

I'll update the E/R/C for Seeds with the next update.

The Nosferatu Stuff

Dec 11, 2001, 8:58:34 PM12/11/01
"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

> The Nosferatu Stuff wrote:
> > LSJ? Anything on this? If indeed the seed test is any non-title,
> > non-restricting text how does circle not apply? Remind me again what
makes
> > it a restriction by the rules?
>
> New ruling.

I take back all the bad things I said about you...at least till next week!
;)