More Kiss of Ra Questions

1 vue

Jason Bell

non lue,
17 juin 2001, 01:17:4217/06/2001
So, we've learned from other threads that
Kiss of Ra cannot be combo'ed with Change
of Target because there is no blocking minion,
despite the card saying the action is blocked.

Since the would-be blocker is not the blocking
minion, does that minion enter torpor tapped
or untapped (or is that minion tapped if
Kiss of Ra is played at inferior)?

- Jason Bell

LSJ

non lue,
17 juin 2001, 06:49:4717/06/2001

Only 3 things tap a minion: acting, successfully blocking,
and explicit card text. None of those are present in the
Kiss of Ra case for the would-be blocker, so his tapped
state is unchanged.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Jason Bell

non lue,
18 juin 2001, 01:05:2118/06/2001
"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote

> Jason Bell wrote:
> >
> > So, we've learned from other threads that
> > Kiss of Ra cannot be combo'ed with Change
> > of Target because there is no blocking minion,
> > despite the card saying the action is blocked.
> >
> > Since the would-be blocker is not the blocking
> > minion, does that minion enter torpor tapped
> > or untapped (or is that minion tapped if
> > Kiss of Ra is played at inferior)?
>
> Only 3 things tap a minion: acting, successfully blocking,
> and explicit card text. None of those are present in the
> Kiss of Ra case for the would-be blocker, so his tapped
> state is unchanged.

The Kiss of Ra
I: Only usable when a vampire who does not have
Fortitude attempnts to block this acting minion.
The blocking vampire burns 2 blood, and the action
is now blocked.
S: As above, and the blocking vampire goes into torpor.

Thanks. You can see how this is confusing, though,
since the card mentions blocking, the blocking
minion, and that the action is blocked.

After further reading, does use of The Kiss of Ra
at inferior lead to combat (can't see why not)?
If so, this is still confusing to me, since nothing
about the superior indicates that the block is
unsuccessful where the inferior is successful.

The only thing I can figure is this:

"Combat occurs as part of the block - not after
the block. (So Cats' Guidance and Freak Drive are
played after the combat, not before)." [RTR 19980623]

So, if inferior taps the blocking minion and superior
doesn't, I'm not clear as to when in the progress of
an action a blocking minion becomes tapped.

The ruling on Faceless Night suggests it happens after
the block, so I would have to guess tapping for the
block happens after combat (which seems really weird),
and all those cards that that cancel combat after a
block (Obedience, Change of Target, Red Herring)
only mention the opposing minion's untapped status
as reminder text.

- Jason Bell

LSJ

non lue,
18 juin 2001, 06:15:1818/06/2001

No. Only two thigs lead to combat: successfully blocking
the action of a ready minion and explicit card text.

In the case of Kiss of Ra, the blocker doesn't successfully
block the action. KoR is played during the attempt (before
the attempt succeeds) and nullifies the process (and also
happens to block the action itself).

> If so, this is still confusing to me, since nothing
> about the superior indicates that the block is
> unsuccessful where the inferior is successful.
>
> The only thing I can figure is this:
>
> "Combat occurs as part of the block - not after
> the block. (So Cats' Guidance and Freak Drive are
> played after the combat, not before)." [RTR 19980623]
>
> So, if inferior taps the blocking minion and superior
> doesn't, I'm not clear as to when in the progress of
> an action a blocking minion becomes tapped.

The inferior doesn't tap the would-be blocker, as above.

> The ruling on Faceless Night suggests it happens after
> the block, so I would have to guess tapping for the
> block happens after combat (which seems really weird),
> and all those cards that that cancel combat after a
> block (Obedience, Change of Target, Red Herring)
> only mention the opposing minion's untapped status
> as reminder text.

Tapping as part of a successful block occurs when the
block succeeds (the same time at which combat is entered).

Jason Bell

non lue,
18 juin 2001, 18:29:1218/06/2001

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote
> Jason Bell wrote:

> > The Kiss of Ra
> > I: Only usable when a vampire who does not have
> > Fortitude attempnts to block this acting minion.
> > The blocking vampire burns 2 blood, and the action
> > is now blocked.
> > S: As above, and the blocking vampire goes into torpor.
> >

> > After further reading, does use of The Kiss of Ra
> > at inferior lead to combat (can't see why not)?
>
> No. Only two thigs lead to combat: successfully blocking
> the action of a ready minion and explicit card text.
>
> In the case of Kiss of Ra, the blocker doesn't successfully
> block the action. KoR is played during the attempt (before
> the attempt succeeds) and nullifies the process (and also
> happens to block the action itself).

Wow.

- Jason Bell

0 nouveau message