[LSJ] Rules Q: Charnas vs. Stanislava

1 vue

Hardy Range

non lue,
12 avr. 2003, 06:15:0112/04/2003
Hello,

this question came up during recent play:

If a minion has Charnas the Imp on him, and then gets into combat with
Stanislava - can he then do harm to Charnas (e.g., with Weather
Control)?

We ruled yes, the logic being that Stanislava's special says
"Retainers employed by a minion opposing Stanislava lose their
abilities...", and this would also include Charnas ability "Charnas is
immune to damage from that minion" - no matter that Stanislava would,
in this case, actually be doing the opposing vampire a favor.

Is that right?

Charnas the Imp [Jyhad, V:TES, CE]
Cardtype: Retainer
Clan: Tremere
Cost: 1 blood
Unique demon with 1 life.
Put Charnas on any minion (employing Charnas is a (D) action if that
minion is controlled by another Methuselah). The minion with this
retainer takes 1 damage during his or her untap phase. Charnas is
immune to damage from that minion. If the minion is burned, his or her
controlling Methuselah can put Charnas on any minion.

Stanislava [DS]
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Gangrel
Group: 2
Capacity: 11
Discipline: ANI CEL DOM FOR PRO
<Camarilla> Inner Circle: (4 votes) Retainers employed by a minion
opposing Stanislava lose their abilities until the end of combat;
allies cannot block Stanislava. +2 bleed.

Hardy Range
Prince of Bochum (Germany)
http://www.vekn.de

LSJ

non lue,
12 avr. 2003, 07:16:3112/04/2003
Hardy Range wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this question came up during recent play:
>
> If a minion has Charnas the Imp on him, and then gets into combat with
> Stanislava - can he then do harm to Charnas (e.g., with Weather
> Control)?

Yes. He can do so even without Stanislava. Weather Control damage is
not "from the minion", so Charnas's special doesn't protect him in the
first place.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Joshua Duffin

non lue,
14 avr. 2003, 14:36:3514/04/2003

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

> Hardy Range wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > this question came up during recent play:
> >
> > If a minion has Charnas the Imp on him, and then gets into combat with
> > Stanislava - can he then do harm to Charnas (e.g., with Weather
> > Control)?
>
> Yes. He can do so even without Stanislava. Weather Control damage is
> not "from the minion", so Charnas's special doesn't protect him in the
> first place.

I'm not quite sure if you were also answering the general "can he
harm Charnas" question - so, while opposing Stanislava, a vampire
with Charnas on him who strikes with Body of Sun will successfully
inflict the Body of Sun side-effect damage on Charnas, right?

Josh

answer not ready: errata, rule, clarify?

LSJ

non lue,
14 avr. 2003, 14:56:3114/04/2003

"He" can't harm Charnas (by card text on Charnas) unless Charnas's
card text is deactivated (e.g., by Stanislava's special), right.

salem

non lue,
15 avr. 2003, 01:00:4615/04/2003
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E9B045F...@white-wolf.com>...

> "He" can't harm Charnas (by card text on Charnas) unless Charnas's
> card text is deactivated (e.g., by Stanislava's special), right.

just how many cards are there that allow the minion to harm charnas?
Body of Sun and....?
anyone?

salem
prince of canberra

wolflord

non lue,
15 avr. 2003, 02:59:4815/04/2003
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E9B045F...@white-wolf.com>...

> "He" can't harm Charnas (by card text on Charnas) unless Charnas's
> card text is deactivated (e.g., by Stanislava's special), right.

Sorry if it's a silly question, but I'm confused here:
I would have guessed that whoever brought Charnas into play, would be
the one to have employed him.
So, the guy opposing Stanislava would not be "the minion employing
Charnas", and Stani's special wouldn't have any effect on him?

Probably a stupid idea, but nevertheless..

Jo

LSJ

non lue,
15 avr. 2003, 07:51:0815/04/2003
wolflord wrote:
> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E9B045F...@white-wolf.com>...
>
>>"He" can't harm Charnas (by card text on Charnas) unless Charnas's
>>card text is deactivated (e.g., by Stanislava's special), right.
>
> Sorry if it's a silly question, but I'm confused here:
> I would have guessed that whoever brought Charnas into play, would be
> the one to have employed him.

"Employed" him, yes (he took the employ retainer action). "Employing" him, no
(he is not the minion whom Charnas "serves").

> So, the guy opposing Stanislava would not be "the minion employing
> Charnas", and Stani's special wouldn't have any effect on him?

The minion the retainer is on is the one "employing" him.
Here "employing" means roughly the same as "using" or
"with the services of"

Like "bearer" for equipment.

hamdamcwa

non lue,
15 avr. 2003, 09:11:5315/04/2003
salem_ch...@yahoo.com (salem) wrote in message news:<293af2cc.03041...@posting.google.com>...

How about Burst of Sunlight if played at long range?

Usual "damaging retainers" stuff can only happen at long range, so if
you use a strike that kicks back, could it work against a retainer you
control?

LSJ?

DH

LSJ

non lue,
15 avr. 2003, 09:21:1315/04/2003
hamdamcwa wrote:
> salem_ch...@yahoo.com (salem) wrote in message news:<293af2cc.03041...@posting.google.com>...
>>just how many cards are there that allow the minion [with Charnas] to harm charnas?
>>Body of Sun and....?
>
> How about Burst of Sunlight if played at long range?
>
> Usual "damaging retainers" stuff can only happen at long range, so if
> you use a strike that kicks back, could it work against a retainer you
> control?
>
> LSJ?

?

Burst of Sunlight "kicks back" to the striking vampire. (card text)

Or maybe you meant one of the following questions:

"Can the minion target a retainer he controls with a ranged strike?"
No.

"Can a retainer be targeted by the opposing minion's ranged strike?"
Yes.

Halcyan 2

non lue,
15 avr. 2003, 12:05:5115/04/2003
>> "He" can't harm Charnas (by card text on Charnas) unless Charnas's
>> card text is deactivated (e.g., by Stanislava's special), right.
>
>just how many cards are there that allow the minion to harm charnas?
>Body of Sun and....?
>anyone?

Cryptic Mission. Shadow Twin.

Halcyan 2