(LSJ) border skirmish, no confidence and loki's gift questions

XXIcentury

Jul 13, 2010, 8:48:01 AM7/13/10
Hello,
Few questions i would like to be clarified:

1. Action is directed if it targets cards controled by a methuselah,
including the uncontrolled region, and cards in hand?

2. So Border Skirmish is a directed action (although it has no
reminder (D) simbol)?

3. if yes, it targets all other methuselahs, so after a successful
Border Skirmish action, an anarch can play No Confidence on any
(other) methuselah's titled vampire?

As Loki's Gift is a hunt action, you can use some means (feeding
razor, hospital food, etc) to increase the amount of blood gained, as
per RTR on alternate hunt actions. Where would an aditional blood be
gained from:
4.1 At inferior, it is obviously from blood bank?

4.2 At superior, a target would burn only one blood, but you could
gain the additional point, in this case, probably from the blood bank
again, right?

Thanks in advance.
XXIcentury,

Card text:

Border Skirmish
+1 stealth action. Requires a ready anarch.
Each other Methuselah discards one card at random from his or her
hand, and this anarch untaps at the end of the turn.

No Confidence
Action Modifier
Play after resolving a successful action that requires an anarch.
Put this card on a titled non-anarch vampire controlled by the target
of the action (or by your predator or prey if the action is
undirected). A vampire with two No Confidence cards loses the benefit
of his or her title. Burn this card if this acting vampire leaves the
ready region.

Loki's Gift
Protean
+1 stealth hunt action.
Gain 1 blood and this card. This vampire can burn this card and 1
blood to get +1 stealth. A vampire can have only one Loki's Gift.
(D) As above, and burn a blood from any vampire. This vampire may
burn this card as above, or may burn it during a referendum to gain 2
votes.

floppyzedolfin

Jul 13, 2010, 9:01:12 AM7/13/10
On Jul 13, 2:48 pm, XXIcentury <skard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Few questions i would like to be clarified:
>
> 1. Action is directed if it targets cards controled by a methuselah,
> including the uncontrolled region, and cards in hand?

If the action selects / targets / chooses something
- in ready region
- in play (I never thought about it, but the Parthenon isn't really
put "in your ready region")
- in the uncontrolled region
- in the hand
- in the "out of play" region (Clio's Kiss)
- in the library
of another Methuselah (or of any 2 or more Methuselahs)
then it is directed at these Methuselas (not including you).

> 2. So Border Skirmish is a directed action (although it has no
> reminder (D) simbol)?

Yes - directed at each other Methuselah.

> 3. if yes, it targets all other methuselahs, so after a successful
> Border Skirmish action, an anarch can play No Confidence on any
> (other) methuselah's titled vampire?

Yes.

> As Loki's Gift is a hunt action, you can use some means (feeding
> razor, hospital food, etc) to increase the amount of blood gained, as
> per RTR on alternate hunt actions. Where would an aditional blood  be
> gained from:
> 4.1 At inferior, it is obviously from blood bank?

If not specified, blood always comes from the same source. So, Blood
Bank for Aaron's Feeding Razor and others.

> 4.2 At superior, a target would burn only one blood, but you could
> gain the additional point, in this case, probably from the blood bank
> again, right?

Yes. You're not hunting from that vampire.
You could think of it that way: If there's no vampire with blood, and
you play sup' Loki's Gift, would you gain 1 blood? Obviously (per
cardtext), which implies blood doesn't come from someone else.

Henri K

Jul 13, 2010, 9:41:30 AM7/13/10
On 13 heinä, 16:01, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2:48 pm, XXIcentury <skard...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Few questions i would like to be clarified:
>
> > 1. Action is directed if it targets cards controled by a methuselah,
> > including the uncontrolled region, and cards in hand?
>
> If the action selects / targets / chooses something
> - in ready region
> - in play (I never thought about it, but the Parthenon isn't really
> put "in your ready region")
> - in the uncontrolled region
> - in the hand
> - in the "out of play" region (Clio's Kiss)
> - in the library
> of another Methuselah (or of any 2 or more Methuselahs)
> then it is directed at these Methuselas (not including you).
>
> > 2. So Border Skirmish is a directed action (although it has no
> > reminder (D) simbol)?
>
> Yes - directed at each other Methuselah.
>
> > 3. if yes, it targets all other methuselahs, so after a successful
> > Border Skirmish action, an anarch can play No Confidence on any
> > (other) methuselah's titled vampire?
>
> Yes.

Border Skirmish doesn't target anything. It just creates an effect
that forces other methuselahs to discard a card at random. So No
Confidence only playable on your predator or prey in this situation.

LSJ

Jul 13, 2010, 10:04:40 AM7/13/10
to vtes-...@yahoogroups.com
On Jul 13, 9:01 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2:48 pm, XXIcentury <skard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1. Action is directed if it targets cards controled by a methuselah,
> > including the uncontrolled region, and cards in hand?

by "one or more other Methuselahs", right. [6.2.2.1]

As you note, cards in the hand/uncontrolled region count for this,
correct.

Floppy's more lengthy response is also correct (and the salient parts
are summarized as above).

> If the action selects / targets / chooses something
> - in ready region
> - in play (I never thought about it, but the Parthenon isn't really
> put "in your ready region")

It is put in your ready region.

> - in the uncontrolled region
> - in the hand
> - in the "out of play" region (Clio's Kiss)

Clio targets the Methuselah.
"That Methuselah yields".

> - in the library
> of another Methuselah (or of any 2 or more Methuselahs)
> then it is directed at these Methuselas (not including you).

... although if you are also a target, the action remains "directed".

> > 2. So Border Skirmish is a directed action (although it has no
> > reminder (D) simbol)?
>
> Yes - directed at each other Methuselah.

Correct.

At the time it was printed, the rules governing what is or is not a
directed action were different. Under those old rules, Border Skirmish
was not directed (except when only 2 players remained), so it did not
include the (D) symbol.

Under the current rules, however, it is always directed.

> > 3. if yes, it targets all other methuselahs, so after a successful
> > Border Skirmish action, an anarch can play No Confidence on any
> > (other) methuselah's titled vampire?
>
> Yes.

Correct.

> > As Loki's Gift is a hunt action, you can use some means (feeding
> > razor, hospital food, etc) to increase the amount of blood gained, as
> > per RTR on alternate hunt actions. Where would an aditional blood  be
> > gained from:
> > 4.1 At inferior, it is obviously from blood bank?

Correct.

> If not specified, blood always comes from the same source. So, Blood
> Bank for Aaron's Feeding Razor and others.

Correct.

> > 4.2 At superior, a target would burn only one blood, but you could
> > gain the additional point, in this case, probably from the blood bank
> > again, right?
>
> Yes. You're not hunting from that vampire.

Correct.

Matthew T. Morgan

Jul 13, 2010, 10:25:04 AM7/13/10
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Henri K wrote:

> Border Skirmish doesn't target anything. It just creates an effect
> that forces other methuselahs to discard a card at random. So No
> Confidence only playable on your predator or prey in this situation.

This was true at one point, but the rule was changed a couple of years ago
so you can actually have "directed at everybody" actions.

XXIcentury

Jul 13, 2010, 11:12:18 AM7/13/10
Ok, thanks.

How come no one uses border skirmish + no confidence then ;D?

Matthew T. Morgan

Jul 13, 2010, 11:38:33 AM7/13/10
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, XXIcentury wrote:

> Ok, thanks.
>
> How come no one uses border skirmish + no confidence then ;D?

Because you'll build the deck, then sit down with: weenie dem, Ravnos
clown car, weenie aus and Dolphin Black. Aren't you glad you can hose
all their titles now!

Henri K

Jul 13, 2010, 1:21:34 PM7/13/10

Does that mean any methuselah can attempt to block Border Skirmish?

LSJ

Jul 13, 2010, 1:31:37 PM7/13/10
On Jul 13, 1:21 pm, Henri K <stealthw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 heinä, 17:04, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>
> > by "one or more other Methuselahs", right. [6.2.2.1]

> > > Yes - directed at each other Methuselah.
>
> > Correct.

> Does that mean any methuselah can attempt to block Border Skirmish?

Yes.

John McGlynn

Jul 13, 2010, 3:40:34 PM7/13/10

Eep. Is there a list of rules changes like that I could easily
access? It would be great to know what else I don't know about this
game. o_O

--
John McGlynn
so far behind the curve

LSJ

Jul 13, 2010, 4:16:31 PM7/13/10
On Jul 13, 3:40 pm, John McGlynn <john.mcgl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Eep.  Is there a list of rules changes like that I could easily
> access?  It would be great to know what else I don't know about this
> game.  o_O

The rules changes introduced with each set are listed on that set's
page:

For instance, this rule change is given here:
http://white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=Checklist_KeepersOfTradition

For others, see the appropriate set:
http://white-wolf.com/vtes/?line=cards

Blooded Sand

Jul 14, 2010, 3:40:10 AM7/14/10

Would it not maybe be better to have a single page list of those, with
links to the relevant expansion?

The Lasombra

Jul 14, 2010, 7:33:39 PM7/14/10
On Wed, 14 July 2010 00:40:10 -0700 (PDT), Blooded Sand wrote:

>> > Eep.  Is there a list of rules changes like that I could easily
>> > access?

>Would it not maybe be better to have a single page list of those, with

>links to the relevant expansion?

Oh, you mean like this one?

http://www.thelasombra.com/rules.htm