Uncontrollable Rage Q

Joshua Duffin

Dec 4, 2001, 12:10:40 PM12/4/01
Card text:

"Only usable when the acting vampire's action is announced.
This acting minion's hand strikes are at +1 damage and his
or her hand damage is aggravated until the end of this action.

SUP: As above, but the minion gets +2 aggravated hand damage."

Ruling:

"Uncontrollable Rage modifies the damage that the vampire
inflicts with a hand strike. It doesn't modify the vampire's
base strength. So, if the vampire strikes with Scorpion Sting,
he inflicts 1 (base) + 2 agg (Rage) + 1 (Scorpion) damage, for
a total of 2 + 2 agg damage. If the vampire strikes with a
Bastard Sword, he inflicts only 1 (base) +1 (Sword) damage,
for a total of 2 damage (the Rage doesn't modify the damage,
since it is not a hand strike). [LSJ 19980102]"

I can see how the text doesn't give a strength bonus but
instead changes the amount of damage hand strikes inflict (just
like Skin of the Adder). But I don't understand why it doesn't
make *all* of the minion's hand damage aggravated. The inferior
card text seems clear, even though the superior is written out
of template ("+2 aggravated hand damage" rather than "+2 damage
on hand strikes").

(In fact, the way the superior is written makes it sound like
they meant to give a +2 hand damage bonus, which should be
modified to aggravated damage, but the inferior is definitely
not written to convey that.)

Thanks,

Josh

realizing, years later, that rage could be really worthwhile
in a rush deck, if you're going to have the grapple to back it
up... and can afford the two blood per action

Derek Ray

Dec 4, 2001, 12:40:13 PM12/4/01
In message <59b20daa.01120...@posting.google.com>,
duff...@bls.gov (Joshua Duffin) mumbled something about:

>realizing, years later, that rage could be really worthwhile
>in a rush deck, if you're going to have the grapple to back it
>up... and can afford the two blood per action

UR superior, Grapple, Taste -- they're losing 2 blood, so this works.

You'll get punched for 1, so your guys are basically spending 1 blood to
torporize someone. Flesh of Marble can ensure that you don't get
punched for MORE than 1, if you're worried.

Problem: pot/PRO vampires are not so common (Badger, Faruq, Wynn,
Basilia, Angus), so you're looking at either a skill-card fest with all
the PRO weenies (could be good) or using Big Fuckers and hoping you can
wedge in a lot of Freak Drive.

--
Derek

...Vampire Squirrel has come to bite your nuts!

LSJ

Dec 4, 2001, 12:48:22 PM12/4/01
Joshua Duffin wrote:

> Card text:
>
> "Only usable when the acting vampire's action is announced.
> This acting minion's hand strikes are at +1 damage and his
> or her hand damage is aggravated until the end of this action.
>
> SUP: As above, but the minion gets +2 aggravated hand damage."

Official card text:

Only usable when the acting vampire's action is announced.

[pro] This acting <vampire's hand strikes are at +1 damage, and his

or her hand damage is aggravated> until the end of this action.

[PRO] As above, but <at +2 damage>.

> Ruling:

> [LSJ 19980102]
>
> I can see how the text doesn't give a strength bonus but
> instead changes the amount of damage hand strikes inflict (just
> like Skin of the Adder). But I don't understand why it doesn't
> make *all* of the minion's hand damage aggravated. The inferior

It does. The ruling is out of date. UR changed when the "strength"
term was added later. I'll update the rulings list.

> card text seems clear, even though the superior is written out
> of template ("+2 aggravated hand damage" rather than "+2 damage
> on hand strikes").
>
> (In fact, the way the superior is written makes it sound like
> they meant to give a +2 hand damage bonus, which should be
> modified to aggravated damage, but the inferior is definitely
> not written to convey that.)

See the official card text.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Joshua Duffin

Dec 5, 2001, 11:12:53 AM12/5/01

"Derek Ray" <lor...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> UR superior, Grapple, Taste -- they're losing 2 blood, so this works.

[...]

> Problem: pot/PRO vampires are not so common (Badger, Faruq, Wynn,
> Basilia, Angus), so you're looking at either a skill-card fest with all
> the PRO weenies (could be good) or using Big Fuckers and hoping you can
> wedge in a lot of Freak Drive.

I refer you to my most-used card. ;-)

Freak Drive would probably be up there too, if I owned enough of them.
Only four = sad me.

Of course, I don't think I have enough Uncontrollable Rages to make this
deck either - never bought enough AH to get a lot of the uncommons.

Josh

not a very freaky girl

Joshua Duffin

Dec 5, 2001, 11:15:27 AM12/5/01

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

> Joshua Duffin wrote:
> >
> > But I don't understand why it doesn't
> > make *all* of the minion's hand damage aggravated. The inferior
>
> It does. The ruling is out of date. UR changed when the "strength"
> term was added later. I'll update the rulings list.

Ah, thanks. Now I understand. :-)

> See the official card text.

Apparently the Monger is not continually updated from the WW site.
I suppose it would use a lot of bandwidth to do that. :-)

Josh

uncontrolled... or UNCONTROLLABLE?!

LSJ

Dec 5, 2001, 11:43:17 AM12/5/01
Joshua Duffin wrote:

> "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
> > Joshua Duffin wrote:
> > >
> > > But I don't understand why it doesn't
> > > make *all* of the minion's hand damage aggravated. The inferior
> >
> > It does. The ruling is out of date. UR changed when the "strength"
> > term was added later. I'll update the rulings list.
>
> Ah, thanks. Now I understand. :-)

Hmm. Checking the rulings list - that out of date ruling had already
been removed.