GLQ #1 unofficial report

John Flournoy

Mar 1, 2009, 9:52:28 AM3/1/09
15 players showed up to Lansing for the Great Lakes Qualifier.

Finals were:

Chris Berger (Daughters anarch vote) ->
John Flournoy (!Gangrel CrimethInc/vote) ->
Catrina Albach (Kiasyd) ->
Boris Zaretsky (Saulot Great Beast) ->
Matt Strehlow (Dmitra+friends vote n bloat)

Matt ousted Chris. I ousted Catrina and Boris, then Matt got me for
the game win. Congrats to Rehlow on his first constructed tournament
win, ever!

Surprisingly, I didn't see anyone playing an all-out sneak-n-bleed
deck at the tournament.

All of the finalists qualified (in my case, 'again'.)

Rankings going into the finals: Matt 2/8, me 2/7, Chris 1/5, Cat 1/5,
Boris 1/4.5.

Decks played other than the above, based on what I saw

Ravnos Illusions of the Kindred/Ritual of the Bitter Rose
Toreador swarm bleed
Weenie Presence bruise/bleed w/ Catatonic Fear+Target Vitals
!Salubri combat
Ian Forestal/Matthias Spirit Marionette
!Brujah bruise/bleed w/ Iron Glare
Tzimisce wall
Lasombra oldschool vote
Nephandi/Tupdog
...and one other deck that I never saw.

My deck was group 3/4 !Gangrel with a ton of CrimethInc's for multi-
acting, Baron voting backed by Rants and Loki's Gifts and Agate
Talismans. I also ended up backousting three players in three rounds
(once giving me the rest of the table in quick succession, and once
double-back-ousting in a failed attempt to live.)

Thanks to Steve for hosting!

-John Flournoy

devil_in_the_p...@yahoo.com

Mar 1, 2009, 10:16:14 AM3/1/09
Steve did an oustanding job hosting! A big thanks to him and his
store, Lich's Lair!

I was the one who played Classic Lasombra vote/ bleed. I sucked it up
all tournament :( Better luck in Columbus :)

Another big thanks to everyone who attended.

dasei...@hotmail.com

Mar 1, 2009, 7:45:12 PM3/1/09
> Finals were:
>
> Chris Berger (Daughters anarch vote) ->
> John Flournoy (!Gangrel CrimethInc/vote) ->
> Catrina Albach (Kiasyd) ->
> Boris Zaretsky (Saulot Great Beast) ->
> Matt Strehlow (Dmitra+friends vote n bloat)
>
> Matt ousted Chris. I ousted Catrina and Boris, then Matt got me for
> the game win. Congrats to Rehlow on his first constructed tournament
> win, ever!

Ooo, another Dimitra deck racks up a win!
Any chance of a decklist?

carn...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2009, 8:39:00 PM3/1/09

Matt said that he'll post the decklist shortly (possibly for the
official report.)

-John

Rehlow

Mar 1, 2009, 10:10:41 PM3/1/09

I'll repost it in the official report, but I don't want to take
Steve's thunder. He ran a great qualifier and I hope he posts an
official report.

Deck Name: Dmitra and her Ventrue Friends
Author: Rehlow

Crypt: 12

4x Dmitra Ilyanova 9 obf CEL FOR POT PRE Brujah Justicar
1xGraham Gottesman 7 obf pre tha DOM FOR Prince of Miami
1x Ubende 7 for obf qui CEL PRE Magaji
1x Victor Donaldson 6 for pre DOM Prince of Atlanta
1x Mustafa, The Heir 6 cel dom FOR PRE Prince of Istanbul
1x Victor Pelletier 5 cel dom for PRE *Primogen/Prince/Justicar*
1x Emily Carson 5 for pre DOM Primogen
1x Louis Fortier 5 aus dom for obf pre
1x Robin Withers 4 dom obf pre

Library: 90

Masters: 20

6x Blood Doll
6x Vessel
4x Obfuscate
1x Ventrue Headquarters
2x Hostile Takeover
1x Temptation of Greater Power

Actions: 5

5x Third Tradition: Progeny

Political Actions: 10

6x Kine Resources Contested
3x Conservative Agitation
1x Neonate Breach

Action Modifiers: 33

12x Voter Captivation
3x Bewitching Oration
2x Awe
1x Perfect Paragon
6x Freak Drive
4x Forgotten Labyrinth
4x Veil the Legions
1x Conditioning

Reactions: 12

8x Deflection
4x Second Tradition: Domain

Combat: 10

10x Majesty

I had Dmitra in a Lutz deck and really liked her special. I figured
her special was effectively call a vote to gain 4 pool each turn once
set up with enough Blood Dolls and/or Vessels. Add in some Voter Caps
and that's even more pool gain with each vote. Some of my other action
modifier heavy vote decks ran into the problem of having a lot of BO/
Awe/Voter Cap in hand and no vote, but that won't happen with Dmitra's
special.

I actually put the deck together the weekend before the tournament and
didn't even have a chance to playtest it. So much for spending weeks
honing a deck. :)

Later,
~Rehlow

the HZA

Mar 2, 2009, 12:58:29 PM3/2/09
Rehlow's so good he can enter a final round seeded first and still
win.

And Boris (The Last Honest Man) is apparently playing the same deck
as the last time I saw him, which was six or so years ago.

Congrats to all who qualified.

--heslin

Aramis

Mar 2, 2009, 1:49:31 PM3/2/09
Thanks again to Steve for hosting! The location worked out better
than I expected. The pizza at dinner break was especially tasty. I
played the !Brujah bruise/bleed deck and was one of the people John
back-ousted with a Revolutionary Council. John back-ousted both
myself and his grand-predator with that one vote for 8 damage. Not
that I blame him, I was going to oust him next turn if he hadn't.

One ruling from the tournament I did want to double-check was this:

In Round 2, I sat predator to a Ravnos deck and Jacko had Monster and
Sense Dep. put on him. Jacko gets untapped via Mylan Horseed and
rushes his Ravos jailor. The Ravnos plays Illusions of the Kindred.
Can Jacko use Monster to untap after the combat? Does it matter if
Jacko beats the illusion into "torpor" or just lets it fade?

The ruling was that Monster could not be used in either case. Correct
or no?

Relevant text:

Sensory Deprivation [DS:U2, FN:PR]
Cardtype: Action
Cost: 3 blood
Discipline: Chimerstry
[chi] (D) Burn any retainer or put this card on any ally. The minion
with this card does not untap as normal during the untap phase as long
as the acting vampire remains in play.
[CHI] As above, but put this card on any vampire in play.

Monster [LotN:R]
Cardtype: Master
Master: archetype.
Put this card on a ready vampire you control. Once each turn when
combat involving this vampire ends and the opposing minion is not
ready, this vampire may burn a blood to untap. A vampire may have only
one archetype.

Illusions of the Kindred [AH:V3, FN:PR]
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 2 blood
Discipline: Chimerstry
Only usable before range is determined.
[chi] Combat ends. Move the bottom card of your crypt to your ready
region. He or she does not contest any other <minions> or titles in
play. The vampire has an amount of blood equal to half of his or her
capacity (round down). Combat begins between the vampire and the
opposing minion. Remove the <crypt card> from the game at the end of
combat.
[CHI] As above, but the vampire has an amount of blood equal to his or
her capacity.

Chris Berger

Mar 2, 2009, 1:52:06 PM3/2/09
On Mar 2, 12:49 pm, Aramis <david.buer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks again to Steve for hosting!  The location worked out better
> than I expected.  The pizza at dinner break was especially tasty. I
> played the !Brujah bruise/bleed deck and was one of the people John
> back-ousted with a Revolutionary Council.  John back-ousted both
> myself and his grand-predator with that one vote for 8 damage.  Not
> that I blame him, I was going to oust him next turn if he hadn't.
>
> One ruling from the tournament I did want to double-check was this:
>
> In Round 2, I sat predator to a Ravnos deck and Jacko had Monster and
> Sense Dep. put on him.  Jacko gets untapped via Mylan Horseed and
> rushes his Ravos jailor.  The Ravnos plays Illusions of the Kindred.
> Can Jacko use Monster to untap after the combat?  Does it matter if
> Jacko beats the illusion into "torpor" or just lets it fade?
>
> Monster [LotN:R]
> Cardtype:  Master
> Master: archetype.
> Put this card on a ready vampire you control. Once each turn when
> combat involving this vampire ends and the opposing minion is not
> ready, this vampire may burn a blood to untap. A vampire may have only
> one archetype.

Seems to me like you could use the Monster whether you torporize the
Illusion or let it fade. He's "not ready" after the combat ends,
either way.

LSJ

Mar 2, 2009, 2:11:06 PM3/2/09

But he has to be "not ready" when combat ends. What happens later doesn't matter
(to Monster).

So if the Illusion was wounded (or burned or whatever) in combat, Monster would
allow Jacko to untap.

If the Illusion is ready and combat ends, then Monster can't be used.

carn...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2009, 2:36:16 PM3/2/09
On Mar 2, 1:11 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Chris Berger wrote:

> > Seems to me like you could use the Monster whether you torporize the
> > Illusion or let it fade.  He's "not ready" after the combat ends,
> > either way.
>
> But he has to be "not ready" when combat ends. What happens later doesn't matter
> (to Monster).
>
> So if the Illusion was wounded (or burned or whatever) in combat, Monster would
> allow Jacko to untap.
>
> If the Illusion is ready and combat ends, then Monster can't be used.

The confusion was over whether or not the 'Illusion burns when combat
ends' and Monster's 'when combat ends, if he is not ready you may do
X' are effects that have to be ordered in some fashion or not.

But it sounds like Monster looks for 'at the point combat ends, was
the foe ready? If so, you can use the effect' not 'at the point combat
ends, you can sequence the effect 'is he ready now (i.e. at the point
of sequencing)'.

-John Flournoy

Chris Berger

Mar 2, 2009, 3:37:03 PM3/2/09
That seems strange. The Illusion dies when combat ends, and Monster
checks for a ready minion when combat ends. The timing is the same,
so shouldn't the acting methuselah get to choose which happens first?

LSJ

Mar 2, 2009, 4:01:45 PM3/2/09
Chris Berger wrote:
> That seems strange. The Illusion dies when combat ends, and Monster
> checks for a ready minion when combat ends. The timing is the same,
> so shouldn't the acting methuselah get to choose which happens first?

Illusion is removed at the end of combat, but was ready when combat ended.

Rehlow

Mar 2, 2009, 5:45:13 PM3/2/09
On Mar 2, 12:49 pm, Aramis <david.buer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks again to Steve for hosting!  The location worked out better
> than I expected.  The pizza at dinner break was especially tasty. I
> played the !Brujah bruise/bleed deck and was one of the people John
> back-ousted with a Revolutionary Council.  John back-ousted both
> myself and his grand-predator with that one vote for 8 damage.  Not
> that I blame him, I was going to oust him next turn if he hadn't.
>
> One ruling from the tournament I did want to double-check was this:
>
> In Round 2, I sat predator to a Ravnos deck and Jacko had Monster and
> Sense Dep. put on him.  Jacko gets untapped via Mylan Horseed and
> rushes his Ravos jailor.  The Ravnos plays Illusions of the Kindred.
> Can Jacko use Monster to untap after the combat?  Does it matter if
> Jacko beats the illusion into "torpor" or just lets it fade?
>
> The ruling was that Monster could not be used in either case.  Correct
> or no?

If you put down the Illusion in combat you would be able to use
Monster, but when you wounded the Illusion Josh played Undying
Tenacity which I believe also keeps the Illusion around just as long
as Illusion does, which is about a second too long for you to use
Monster.

Later,
~Rehlow