Couple of questions for LSJ...

4 vues

John Woods

non lue,
1 août 2001, 01:59:3001/08/2001
There is a tourney coming up in Victoria, BC here this weekend and I
was playing some VTES with a couple of guys who may end up judging and
we got into a discussion about a couple of matters.

The first one is about negative intercept. Is it possible? For
example, if I bleed someone and when the block is announced, I play
Call of the Hungry Dead (at inferior) to reduce their intercept by 1.
Do they have a total of -1 intercept and cannot block a zero stealth
action (assuming no other modifiers are played)?

The second is in regards to Rotstreck (sp) and Amaranth. Can a
vampire playing Rotstreck then use Amarath to diablerize the
victimized vampire? The debate we had was whether or not Rotstreck
ended combat before the Amaranth could be played.

The last (and trust me, I was stretching on this one) is in regards to
Obedience. Now, the latest printing as of Sabbat War states that
after playing Obedience the reacting vampire is "not tapped". Does
this mean a vampire that plays WWEF or FA is untapped after playing
Obedience? Having said all this, the wording of the card on the White
Wolf website makes no mention of the reacting vampire not tapping.
Its funny, I have 4 different copies of Obedience (Jyad, V:TES
unlimited, the Sabbat version and the Sabbat War version) and there is
three different wordings altogether.

I suspect that this is all for now. My biggest concern is about the
negative intercept question as I plan on playing Giovanni at the
tournament with a lot of CotHD (cheaper than Spectral Divination).

Thanks in advance,
John Woods

Halcyan 2

non lue,
1 août 2001, 02:49:3801/08/2001
>The first one is about negative intercept. Is it possible? For
>example, if I bleed someone and when the block is announced, I play
>Call of the Hungry Dead (at inferior) to reduce their intercept by 1.
>Do they have a total of -1 intercept and cannot block a zero stealth
>action (assuming no other modifiers are played)?

Negative intercept is possible. A minion with -1 intercept is not successful
when blocking a zero stealth action (unless other cards are played). Similar
situations occur with Lucita and Miranda Sanova.

>The second is in regards to Rotstreck (sp) and Amaranth. Can a
>vampire playing Rotstreck then use Amarath to diablerize the
>victimized vampire? The debate we had was whether or not Rotstreck
>ended combat before the Amaranth could be played.

You can't Amaranth after Rotschreck. As you correctly theorized, Rotschreck
ends combat before the vampire is put into torpor.

>The last (and trust me, I was stretching on this one) is in regards to
>Obedience. Now, the latest printing as of Sabbat War states that
>after playing Obedience the reacting vampire is "not tapped". Does
>this mean a vampire that plays WWEF or FA is untapped after playing
>Obedience? Having said all this, the wording of the card on the White
>Wolf website makes no mention of the reacting vampire not tapping.
>Its funny, I have 4 different copies of Obedience (Jyad, V:TES
>unlimited, the Sabbat version and the Sabbat War version) and there is
>three different wordings altogether.

"Not tapped" means just that. The vampire is not tapped by playing the card. If
I block with an untapped vampire and play Obedience, he is not tapped (and
remains untapped). If I play a Wake and block with a tapped vampire, he is also
not tapped (regarding a verb, not a state), though tapping a tapped vampire
doesn't do much. But note that this does not "untap" him (there's a difference
b/w untapping and not tapping).

Hope this helps!

Halcyan 2

LSJ

non lue,
1 août 2001, 08:37:4001/08/2001
Halcyan 2 wrote:

> >The first one is about negative intercept. Is it possible? For
> >example, if I bleed someone and when the block is announced, I play
> >Call of the Hungry Dead (at inferior) to reduce their intercept by 1.
> >Do they have a total of -1 intercept and cannot block a zero stealth
> >action (assuming no other modifiers are played)?
>
> Negative intercept is possible. A minion with -1 intercept is not successful
> when blocking a zero stealth action (unless other cards are played). Similar
> situations occur with Lucita and Miranda Sanova.

Correct.

> >The second is in regards to Rotstreck (sp) and Amaranth. Can a
> >vampire playing Rotstreck then use Amarath to diablerize the
> >victimized vampire? The debate we had was whether or not Rotstreck
> >ended combat before the Amaranth could be played.
>
> You can't Amaranth after Rotschreck. As you correctly theorized, Rotschreck
> ends combat before the vampire is put into torpor.

Correct.

> >The last (and trust me, I was stretching on this one) is in regards to
> >Obedience. Now, the latest printing as of Sabbat War states that
> >after playing Obedience the reacting vampire is "not tapped". Does
> >this mean a vampire that plays WWEF or FA is untapped after playing
> >Obedience? Having said all this, the wording of the card on the White
> >Wolf website makes no mention of the reacting vampire not tapping.
> >Its funny, I have 4 different copies of Obedience (Jyad, V:TES
> >unlimited, the Sabbat version and the Sabbat War version) and there is
> >three different wordings altogether.
>
> "Not tapped" means just that. The vampire is not tapped by playing the card. If
> I block with an untapped vampire and play Obedience, he is not tapped (and
> remains untapped). If I play a Wake and block with a tapped vampire, he is also
> not tapped (regarding a verb, not a state), though tapping a tapped vampire
> doesn't do much. But note that this does not "untap" him (there's a difference
> b/w untapping and not tapping).

Correct. Not tapping a vampire (as not untapping a vampire) has no effect
on the vampire's tapped state.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

John Woods

non lue,
1 août 2001, 10:21:5901/08/2001

> >The first one is about negative intercept. Is it possible? For
> >example, if I bleed someone and when the block is announced, I play
> >Call of the Hungry Dead (at inferior) to reduce their intercept by 1.
> >Do they have a total of -1 intercept and cannot block a zero stealth
> >action (assuming no other modifiers are played)?
>
> Negative intercept is possible. A minion with -1 intercept is not successful
> when blocking a zero stealth action (unless other cards are played). Similar
> situations occur with Lucita and Miranda Sanova.

This is what I thought. And as much as I appreciate your answer
Halcyan2, I would like to hear this from LSJ as an official answer for
the tournament.

> >The second is in regards to Rotstreck (sp) and Amaranth. Can a
> >vampire playing Rotstreck then use Amarath to diablerize the
> >victimized vampire? The debate we had was whether or not Rotstreck
> >ended combat before the Amaranth could be played.
>
> You can't Amaranth after Rotschreck. As you correctly theorized, Rotschreck
> ends combat before the vampire is put into torpor.

Again, that's kind of what I thought and I'm glad someone agrees with
me.

> >The last (and trust me, I was stretching on this one) is in regards to
> >Obedience. Now, the latest printing as of Sabbat War states that
> >after playing Obedience the reacting vampire is "not tapped". Does
> >this mean a vampire that plays WWEF or FA is untapped after playing
> >Obedience? Having said all this, the wording of the card on the White
> >Wolf website makes no mention of the reacting vampire not tapping.
> >Its funny, I have 4 different copies of Obedience (Jyad, V:TES
> >unlimited, the Sabbat version and the Sabbat War version) and there is
> >three different wordings altogether.
>
> "Not tapped" means just that. The vampire is not tapped by playing the card. If
> I block with an untapped vampire and play Obedience, he is not tapped (and
> remains untapped). If I play a Wake and block with a tapped vampire, he is also
> not tapped (regarding a verb, not a state), though tapping a tapped vampire
> doesn't do much. But note that this does not "untap" him (there's a difference
> b/w untapping and not tapping).

Very good point about "not tapped" referring to the verb tap rather
than the state of tappedness (which was my argument... I was saying
that "not tapped" was referring to the state at which the vampired
ended up).

> Hope this helps!

It certainly does. Thank you very much. Now I just want confirmation
from LSJ. :)

John Woods

Reyda

non lue,
1 août 2001, 10:36:0401/08/2001

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com>

> > >The second is in regards to Rotstreck (sp) and Amaranth. Can a
> > >vampire playing Rotstreck then use Amarath to diablerize the
> > >victimized vampire? The debate we had was whether or not Rotstreck
> > >ended combat before the Amaranth could be played.
> >
> > You can't Amaranth after Rotschreck. As you correctly theorized,
Rotschreck
> > ends combat before the vampire is put into torpor.
>
> Correct.

Does a vampire sent in torpor via Rotschreck triggers Sasha Vykos' ability,
assuming he was involved in combat and his meth played Breath of Dragon +
Rotshcreck ?? Can the meth draw the two cards ??
I guess no, but why not ask =)
reyda

LSJ

non lue,
1 août 2001, 12:40:5401/08/2001

No. Combat ends before the vampire is put in torpor.

John Woods

non lue,
1 août 2001, 14:14:4401/08/2001
<snipped rulings and such>