Rules Question: Setting range

gla...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2008, 12:32:59 PM10/13/08
It's Minion A vs. Minion B.

Round 1: Minion A plays Immortal Grapple at superior. This sets range
at close next round, skipping the determine range step. Minion A
presses to continue and Minion B does not press to end.

Round 2: Minion B, still alive after being grappled, plays Shadow Step
at superior, paying 2 blood to set range to long, and skipping the
determine range step (which is already being skipped).

Clearly there isn't a *timing* problem with Shadow Step, as it is
pretty explicitly *not* played during the skipped part of the combat
round (Determine Range).

The questions are:

1) Is Minion B prevented from playing Shadow Step at superior because
of the effects of the previous Immortal Grapple? (My instinct on this
is no -- for I can see no reason why Minion B wouldn't be able to
cycle the card and set range to short.)

2) If the answer to question number 1 is "no", is Minion B prevented
from declaring combat at long range because of the effects of the
previous Immortal Grapple? (Again, my instinct is no -- if you can
declare short, you can probably declare long.)

3) If the answer to question number 2 is "no", then is the rule for
range-setting effects that do not take place during the Determine
Range step of the combat round "FIRST IN TIME" or "LAST IN TIME"? In
other words, is range going to be at close no matter what because
Minion A played a superior Immortal Grapple on round 1, or can Minions
A and B engage in a toggle-war where they both play Shadow Step/High
Ground/etc. repeatedly until one runs out of blood or relevant cards?

My apologies if this has been addressed before. I was unable to find
a ruling or relevant game rule.

Sincerely,

Legendre

Jozxyqk

Oct 13, 2008, 12:42:04 PM10/13/08
gla...@gmail.com wrote:
> 1) Is Minion B prevented from playing Shadow Step at superior because
> of the effects of the previous Immortal Grapple?

Yes.

Chris Berger

Oct 13, 2008, 12:52:10 PM10/13/08
On Oct 13, 11:32 am, glav...@gmail.com wrote:
> It's Minion A vs. Minion B.
>
> Round 1: Minion A plays Immortal Grapple at superior.  This sets range
> at close next round, skipping the determine range step.  Minion A
> presses to continue and Minion B does not press to end.

> My apologies if this has been addressed before.  I was unable to find
> a ruling or relevant game rule.

It's been addressed before. You cannot set range if range has already
been set. I'm sure it's up at the white-wolf site under rulings, and
you can also find it if you search for Cailean + Shadow Step.

gla...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2008, 12:54:52 PM10/13/08
On Oct 13, 9:42 am, Jozxyqk <jfeue...@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:

Well then, that was easy. Thank you! That solves the immediate
problem.

Any chance on a rules/ruling citation for this principle?

Thank you again,

Legendre

gla...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2008, 12:55:41 PM10/13/08

Bah... pesky simultaneous postings. Thanks a lot.

LSJ

Oct 13, 2008, 12:57:07 PM10/13/08

James Coupe

Oct 13, 2008, 12:44:12 PM10/13/08
In message <gcvtor$2jk$1...@aioe.org>, Jozxyqk <jfeu...@eecs.tufts.edu>
writes:

Because...

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=rulings

# If an effect "sets" the range of a round (and therefore skips the
maneuver phase), no other effect can be used to reset the range. [RTR
19970630]

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.