LSJ - Edged Illusion and targeting

Clément

Oct 23, 2007, 7:55:35 AM10/23/07
LSJ,

Superior Edged Illusion is a (D) action that affect multiple minions.
Are those minions also considered to be targets of Edged Illusion, or
the only target is the Methuselah who controls them?

Relevant text: "[CHI] (D) Choose a Methuselah. This acting vampire
inflicts 1 unpreventable damage on each ready minion controlled by
that Methuselah."

This is important for effects like:

1) Hide: "[REACTION] [1 CONVICTION] Only usable during a monster's (D)
action targeting this imbued. The action fails."

Is this imbued allowed to use the reaction effect Hide to make an
Edged Illusion fail?

2) Talley, the Hound: "Talley gets +1 intercept when attempting to
block any (D) action directed at one of your other minions."

This is basically the same question as above, but with an extra
detail: the meaning of "one" on Talley's text. Does it mean "exactly
one" or Talley still gets his intercept bonus if more than one of your
other minions is targeted by the action?

Thank you in advance.

Abraço,

Luiz Mello

LSJ

Oct 23, 2007, 8:29:28 AM10/23/07
Clément wrote:
> LSJ,
>
> Superior Edged Illusion is a (D) action that affect multiple minions.
> Are those minions also considered to be targets of Edged Illusion, or
> the only target is the Methuselah who controls them?

The minions are the targets.

> Relevant text: "[CHI] (D) Choose a Methuselah. This acting vampire
> inflicts 1 unpreventable damage on each ready minion controlled by
> that Methuselah."
>
> This is important for effects like:
>
> 1) Hide: "[REACTION] [1 CONVICTION] Only usable during a monster's (D)
> action targeting this imbued. The action fails."
>
> Is this imbued allowed to use the reaction effect Hide to make an
> Edged Illusion fail?

Yes.

> 2) Talley, the Hound: "Talley gets +1 intercept when attempting to
> block any (D) action directed at one of your other minions."
>
> This is basically the same question as above, but with an extra
> detail: the meaning of "one" on Talley's text. Does it mean "exactly
> one" or Talley still gets his intercept bonus if more than one of your
> other minions is targeted by the action?

He gets the bonus.

Stone

Oct 23, 2007, 9:13:04 AM10/23/07

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> a écrit dans le message de

> > 1) Hide: "[REACTION] [1 CONVICTION] Only usable during a monster's (D)
> > action targeting this imbued. The action fails."
> >
> > Is this imbued allowed to use the reaction effect Hide to make an
> > Edged Illusion fail?
>
> Yes.

Doesn't this contradict [LSJ20060418] ? relevant part of that post quoted
here :

witness1 wrote:
> Is superior Wave of Insanity considered directed at any given ally even
> if the action itself is undirected (i.e., the targets are controlled by
> more than one methuselah)?

No. An undirected action does not qualify as a "(D) action against this
imbued".

> Can a single React With Conviction cause the entire action to fail in
> this case?
> What if all the allies in play are controlled by the same player?

Then the action would be a (D) action, and RwC could be used (to cancel
the action as it is announced).

I mean, in both cases (Edged Illusion and Wave of Insanity), there are
multiple targets controlled by different Meth, so that the action is
undirected (due to the old Mehemet of the Ahl-i-Batin ruling,
[LSJ20010816]).
Hide specifies "(D) action targeting this imbued"
RwC specifies "(D) action against this imbued"

or does this mean "targeting" is different than "against" ? (I don't know
off the top of my head how "against this imbued" could mean something else
than "targeting this imbued"). But then, it's irrelevant to the issue of EI
and WoI being both undirected in this case.
So err...what's the explanation? a bit confused, here.
Stone

LSJ

Oct 23, 2007, 9:11:23 AM10/23/07
Stone wrote:
> "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> a écrit dans le message de
>>> 1) Hide: "[REACTION] [1 CONVICTION] Only usable during a monster's (D)
>>> action targeting this imbued. The action fails."
>>>
>>> Is this imbued allowed to use the reaction effect Hide to make an
>>> Edged Illusion fail?
>> Yes.
>
> Doesn't this contradict [LSJ20060418] ? relevant part of that post quoted
> here :
>
> witness1 wrote:
>> Is superior Wave of Insanity considered directed at any given ally even
>> if the action itself is undirected (i.e., the targets are controlled by
>> more than one methuselah)?
>

> No. An undirected action does not qualify as a "(D) action against this
> imbued".
>

>> Can a single React With Conviction cause the entire action to fail in
>> this case?
>> What if all the allies in play are controlled by the same player?
>

> Then the action would be a (D) action, and RwC could be used (to cancel
> the action as it is announced).

No, since the action is directed, as opposed to the undirected Wave of Insanity
action. The Wave targets multiple minions, but since the minions are controlled
by more than just one Methuselah (in the example you're quoting), the action is
undirected. If the Wave action targeted minions of only one Methuselah, it would
be directed and the anti-directed-action stuff would work.

> I mean, in both cases (Edged Illusion and Wave of Insanity), there are
> multiple targets controlled by different Meth, so that the action is

No. Edged Illusion's action is targeting only one Methuselah's minions.
It it targeted more Methuselah's minions (which it cannot do, by card text),
then it would be undirected and the anti-directed stuff wouldn't work.

Stone

Oct 23, 2007, 9:23:23 AM10/23/07
god, I didn't read properly card text. sorry about that. gotta grab more
coffee in shame...
Stone

JakubB...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2007, 2:49:32 AM10/24/07
So if Edged Illusion is targeting also a minions I assume that I can
cancel it with for example Yoruba Shrine , right?

LSJ

Oct 24, 2007, 6:34:03 AM10/24/07
JakubB...@gmail.com wrote:
> So if Edged Illusion is targeting also a minions I assume that I can
> cancel it with for example Yoruba Shrine , right?

Yes.

reyda

Oct 31, 2007, 7:55:24 PM10/31/07
LSJ a écrit :

> Stone wrote:
>
>> "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> a écrit dans le message de

>>> Yes.

Does this mean i cannot play Edged illusion if one of my prey's minion
happens to have a secure haven ? ... :roll:

LSJ

Oct 31, 2007, 9:20:04 PM10/31/07

No.

Google: "Edged Illusion Secure author:LSJ"