Bloodlines page up.

30 vues

mgreen02

non lue,
23 sept. 2001, 19:22:1323/09/2001
For all to see at:
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/Checklist_Bloodlines.html

This struck me:

"Bloodlines is the third expansion from White Wolf for Vampire: The
Eternal Struggle, the collectible card game inspired by Vampire: The
Masquerade and designed by the creator of Magic: The Gathering.
Following the success of the Sabbat War and Final Nights expansions,
Bloodlines introduces the Ahrimanes, Baali, Blood Brothers, Daughters
of Cacophony, Gargoyles, Harbingers of Skulls, Kiasyd, Nagaraja,
Salubri, Salubri antitribu, Samedi, and True Brujah along with each
faction's unique vampiric powers."

I have to say that reading this fills me with mixed feelings about the
forthcoming release with respect to new players. Now I know that
ideally you will not be trying to teach new people how to play V:TES
using Bloodlines, and that the set is aimed at experienced players,
but things are starting to get confusing.

From a totally disconected point of view, the game is an impenetrable
fog of meaningless words and symbols. There's 12 new clans probably
with at least 10 new disciplines with their own symbols. Try teaching
someone when you're up against that many different and apparently
unconnected words that have a strong meaning in the game. To even
stand a chance at getting the most out of this game you already have
to:

*Know the name of each clan
*Know the name of each discipline
*Match the discipline name to the symbol
*Know which clans are likely to have which disciplines

Adding a dozen new ones hardly helps matters. I'm woried that
Bloodlines increases the gradient on the already steep learning curve
(compared to most other CCGs) and pigeonholes the game yet further
into the "WW game only playable by geek teen goths with too much time"
pantheon.

The view from an oldie already entrenched in the game is that that the
new set looks pretty good though. :)

mattgreen

Mark Allen

non lue,
23 sept. 2001, 19:45:0323/09/2001
What is even more confusing is that the main Vampire CCG page has the
following in the NEWS section:

Aug 23
The next V:TES set (after Bloodlines) will be a Camarilla edition, scheduled
for release in Summer 2002. More details will be released here as they
become available.

Is this a typo or what?

"mgreen02" <mgre...@bcuc.ac.uk> wrote in message

Peter Oh

non lue,
23 sept. 2001, 20:20:1623/09/2001

mgreen02 <mgre...@bcuc.ac.uk> wrote in message
> From a totally disconected point of view, the game is an impenetrable
> fog of meaningless words and symbols. There's 12 new clans probably
> with at least 10 new disciplines with their own symbols. Try teaching
> someone when you're up against that many different and apparently
> unconnected words that have a strong meaning in the game. To even
> stand a chance at getting the most out of this game you already have
> to:
>
> *Know the name of each clan
> *Know the name of each discipline
> *Match the discipline name to the symbol
> *Know which clans are likely to have which disciplines

These concerns struck me as well as soon as we knew of the Bloodlines
expansion. I'm a role-player first and a card gamer second, and I know that
if it weren't for my knowledge of Vampire the Masquerade, I never ever would
have had enough patience to learn all of the terms and alliances and what
not associated with the game. I wasn't confused as much (some of the
mechanics baffled me and I was slow to learn them, ask my playgroup) because
I already knew that the Gangrel have protean and the Tzimisce have
vicissitude. I knew that the Ventrue were in the Camarilla and the Lasombra
were in the Sabbat. I knew what a Templar was and a Justicar so it was
intuitive as to what they did in CCG terms. But if I were to come into the
Jyhad as a total neonate, I would have quit after a month.

This is why the Precons are such a god send. You can shrink the size of the
Vampire world remarkably by teaching newbies with just one of the 8 pre cons
available. And if you manage to teach a group of newbies with exclusively
SW precons, it makes life a lot easier because you have MOST of the core
disciplines available along with the major strageties presented. Trust me.
I know.

The good news is that I don't see the game expanding more than what it will
become after bloodlines, at least from a clan, discipline, terminology point
of view. After bloodlines, all of the major clans and bloodlines will have
a place in the game and unless Justin Achilli and the other Masquerade
developers go crazy and sprout off a 4th edition revised with 43647585854631
new bloodlines, I think we're safe. The exception would be if the CCG
developers attempt to incorporate Kindred of the East into VTES (which I
think would be a HORRIBLE mistake, unless we're talking just Allies and
Retainers) or a Dark ages expansion (which Steve Wieck hinted at as a
possibility). Any further expansions will probably deal with game mechanics
and not actual new story related content. If I'm proven wrong, God help the
newbies.

Overall, I'm concerned but not too much because I'm reasonably certain that
people running demos will be smart enough to walk newbies along so that we
don't tell them "Hey there are 35 clans and bloodlines you have to memorize
and learn a google number of disciplines! Hope it's not too much!" And for
the people who have Masquerade knowledge already, I think bloodlines will
help in a way because it shows how extensive the CCG is in representing
Masquerade, and that it's not a watered down version of the RPG with a lot
of stuff missing.

Even though it is silly that Isabel De Leon could conceivably have a Pulse
of the Canaille. But we'll leave that alone :-)

Peteo

Peter Oh

non lue,
23 sept. 2001, 20:24:5023/09/2001

Mark Allen <alle...@home.com> wrote in message

> What is even more confusing is that the main Vampire CCG page has the
> following in the NEWS section:
>
> Aug 23
> The next V:TES set (after Bloodlines) will be a Camarilla edition,
scheduled
> for release in Summer 2002. More details will be released here as they
> become available.
>
> Is this a typo or what?

No it is not. White Wolf does plan to release a new base set in Summer
2002. This is to fix old errata, give newbies a chance to get valuable VTES
only cards (5th Tradition, 2nd Tradition) and to add a few new camarilla
cards to the mix. Not to mention that VTES as a whole has some major
cosmetic things they need to get consistent. Not a practical matter, but it
would make the CCG seem more professional or whatever.

Peteo

James Coupe

non lue,
23 sept. 2001, 20:39:3423/09/2001
In message <a346f9cb.0109...@posting.google.com>, mgreen02
<mgre...@bcuc.ac.uk> writes

>To even
>stand a chance at getting the most out of this game you already have
>to:
>
>*Know the name of each clan
>*Know the name of each discipline
>*Match the discipline name to the symbol
>*Know which clans are likely to have which disciplines

Could someone (Steve Wieck? LSJ?) look into the possibility of revising
the current information card?

Thinking randomly, is there any possibility of a "book" style card?
That is, take the current card, double its width and fold it in half (in
order to keep it the size of a normal card), and then spread the
necessary information over both cards?

This might also allow a reversion to the V:TES fold out information of
the three clan disciplines, along with default sect possibly (though
card text will demonstrate that pretty much, now).

Obviously, I've no idea how such would affect packing, pricing,
production etc.

--
James Coupe PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D
When all the world seemed to sleep, why, why did you go? EBD690ECD7A1F

Halcyan 2

non lue,
23 sept. 2001, 21:00:0623/09/2001

Thanks for the web address.

While I'm not too keen on the idea of Bloodline myself (when the idea first
came out I was extremely worried about the future of the game), I do have to
admit that the artwork looks interesting so far. The Samedi picture looks cool
and the female is...interesting we'll say...

In addition, as we all know, game balance is an essential aspect of Jyhad/VTES.
However, since the Bloodlines are expressly meant to augment and supplement
existing clans, I really think some clans might get too much of an edge over
the others. Brujah get True Brujah. Lasombra get Kiasyd. How about the
Tzimisce, Tremere, and Ravnos? Somehow I think that the introduction of
Bloodlines might further imbalance the delicate equilibrium among the clans.

Everything else you said, I pretty much agree.

Halcyan 2

Nystulc

non lue,
23 sept. 2001, 23:06:4823/09/2001
Matt Green wrote:

>I have to say that reading this fills me with mixed feelings about the
>forthcoming release with respect to new players. Now I know that
>ideally you will not be trying to teach new people how to play V:TES
>using Bloodlines, and that the set is aimed at experienced players,
>but things are starting to get confusing.
>
>From a totally disconected point of view, the game is an impenetrable
>fog of meaningless words and symbols.

Some time ago, I posted a series of arguments discussing "Fragmentation" by
which I meant the problems that would result from the continued proliferation
of new clans and disciplines. I did not menion the concern that you raise --
the problem of remembering the significance of so many symbols -- though I
agree that that would be a concern as well, should it be handled in the
traditional way.

However the announcement of the "Bloodlines" expansion did not heighten my
apprehensions. Rather, it appeased my worries considerably. The mere fact
that so many new groups would be added in a single small expansion indicated
clearly that WW was NOT planning to introduce "new clans and disciplines" in
the usual fashion, for they could not possibly introduce 12 new "clans" and 10
new "disciplines" in so small a space. Clearly, these bloodlines, with their
unique powers, will not be presented in the usual fashion. A different
approach will have to be taken, likely one that takes into account design
concerns similar to those that you, I, and others have articulated.

>There's 12 new clans probably
>with at least 10 new disciplines with their own symbols. Try teaching

Ah. Read more carefully. The web-page promises no new clans. In fact, it
specifically states that the groups being introduced are "not clans unto
themselves" and even suggests that some are "splinter offshoots of greater
clans". Nor does it even promise that each will have its own clan symbol.

No "new disciplines" have been promised on the page, and it certainly has not
been promised that they will be presented in the traditional fashion. It was
merely promised that "each faction's unique vampiric powers" will be
represented (somehow).

Now I do recall that in the original announcement Mr. Wieck did indeed promise
"new disciplines", but he certainly did not promise TEN of them, and there is
certainly no room for such. I also find it interesting that this promise of
"new disciplines" has not been repeated in later announcements. At most, I
would expect that two or three "new disciplines" will be presented in the
traditional fashion, with others presented in less space-wasting ways (special
abilities printed on vampires; group-based special abilities, "Path" cards
modifying the nature of standard disciplines, etc.)

>someone when you're up against that many different and apparently
>unconnected words that have a strong meaning in the game. To even
>stand a chance at getting the most out of this game you already have
>to:
>
>*Know the name of each clan
>*Know the name of each discipline
>*Match the discipline name to the symbol
>*Know which clans are likely to have which disciplines

Now don't get me wrong -- I would rather like the new bloodlines to have their
own symbols, as a purely decorative and aesthetic bonus feature. But there is
absolutely no need for these to be presented in such a way that players must be
required to rely on such features in order to play the game.

Take for example the new Final Nights expansion. It introduced ten categories
of ally/retainer (animals, changelings, demons, ghouls, mages, mortals,
mummies, wraiths, werewolves, and zombies -- did I miss one?). No new symbols
whatsoever were required, merely a self-explanatory reference to card text. In
addition to the categories introduced by card text, at least two more
sub-categories (bane mummies and hunters) were introduced by card title

So if some or all of the new bloodlines are identified by card-text, (whether
they reduntantly have a symbolic identification as well or no) then there will
be no need for new players to remember new symbols. All that is needed is to
type the word "Samedi" or "Baali" somewhere on the card.

-- John Whelan

Nystulc

non lue,
23 sept. 2001, 23:29:0123/09/2001
Halcyon wrote:

>However, since the Bloodlines are expressly meant to augment and supplement
>existing clans, I really think some clans might get too much of an edge over
>the others.

Not necessarily. The "balance" between clans is not that fragile, and balance
concerns can adequately be considered in any good design

>Brujah get True Brujah.

Yes, but how many? Six at most, I think, and they will likely be mostly of
high capacity.

>Lasombra get Kiasyd.

The Lasombra only have 15 vampires currently. The addition of a half-dozen odd
Kiasid will hardly unbalance things, considering that other clans have 24, not
even considering out-of-clan vampires that are compatible due to similar
disciplines.

>How about the
>Tzimisce, Tremere, and Ravnos?

Will likely recieve new animalism, auspex, dominate, and fortitude powers, as
well as vampires with those abilities. In particular, the Tremere will be
enhanced by the Nagaraja, who share two of their disciplines.

>Somehow I think that the introduction of
>Bloodlines might further imbalance the delicate equilibrium among the clans.

I don't think that equilibrium is nearly so delicate as you suppose. Nor are
the problems you mention incapable of being handled by an intelligent designer
-- and we know we have one.

-- John Whelan

Halcyan 2

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 00:33:0724/09/2001
>So if some or all of the new bloodlines are identified by card-text, (whether
>they reduntantly have a symbolic identification as well or no) then there
>will
>be no need for new players to remember new symbols. All that is needed is to
>type the word "Samedi" or "Baali" somewhere on the card.

But another important thing for White Wolf to remember is to not hamstring
itself in the future.

If White Wolf decides to make all those unique disciplines not actual
"disciplines," or those bloodlines not actual "clans" per se (all of which
isn't necessarily a bad thing), it will be stuck with that decision for the
rest of time...

I'm sure that even now White Wolf is more than a bit embarrassed with WotC's
Blood Brother Ambush and Gargoyle Slave, both of which seem to be making less
and less sense especially with Bloodlines now.

So before deciding on the exact implementation for Bloodlines, they really have
to have a good idea what direction they want the game to go in the future (and
I'm sure they already now that!).

Halcyan 2

Halcyan 2

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 00:36:0624/09/2001
>>Lasombra get Kiasyd.
>
>The Lasombra only have 15 vampires currently. The addition of a half-dozen
>odd
>Kiasid will hardly unbalance things, considering that other clans have 24,
>not
>even considering out-of-clan vampires that are compatible due to similar
>disciplines.

Yes but at least for now, the Lasombra are relatively balanced with the rest of
the Sabbat clans. What happens if (when) they decide to bring the number of
Sabbat vampires to 24 (to match the Camarilla and Independents)? Should the
Kiasyd "count" as some of the Lasombra's vampires? Or will they give them a
hefty advantage? Similarly, even just 6 True Brujah might give quite a bit of
an advantage to the Brujah.

>>How about the
>>Tzimisce, Tremere, and Ravnos?
>
>Will likely recieve new animalism, auspex, dominate, and fortitude powers, as
>well as vampires with those abilities. In particular, the Tremere will be
>enhanced by the Nagaraja, who share two of their disciplines.

Actually I've previously addressed how the Nagaraja (aus/dom/nec) might help
the Tremere. I was just using some clans as an example. But the point still
stands: some clans will get a lot more out of the expansion than others (and
for no other reason than "that's the way the RPG is like."

Halcyan 2

Nystulc

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 02:00:0124/09/2001
Halcyon wrote:

>But another important thing for White Wolf to remember is to not hamstring
>itself in the future.

Which is exactly why too many disciplines (in particular) should not be added.
It creates too many "fragments" of the game and commits White Wolf to
supporting each indefinitely. And once done, it cannot be undone.

>If White Wolf decides to make all those unique disciplines not actual
>"disciplines," or those bloodlines not actual "clans" per se (all of which
>isn't necessarily a bad thing), it will be stuck with that decision for the
>rest of time...

You are (perhaps unfortunately) probably wrong about this. A "non-fragmenting"
approach commits White Wolf to nothing at all. Printing a handful of Gargoyles
with Potence, Fortitude, and various Visceratika-inspired special abilities
such as optional maneuvers each combat in no way prevents them of later
printing Gargoyles with a Visceratika discipline symbol and a whole host of
cards to support that discipline (Bad Idea, IMHO).

In particular, it in no way limits White Wolf's options at all if Bloodlines
are not treated as clans, per se, or if they are not identifed exclusively by
symbol. If they are identifed by card text ("Gargoyle; Independent") or card
title "Vincent LaVie (Gargoyle)" then they may be referenced by cards in the
usual fashion: "Requires Ready Gargoyle" etc. They can still have (and
probably should have) a distinctive card backround with clan symbol, but this
need not be relied upon as knowledge players need to have. One can do with
words anything that can be done with symbols.

>I'm sure that even now White Wolf is more than a bit embarrassed with WotC's
>Blood Brother Ambush and Gargoyle Slave, both of which seem to be making less
>and less sense especially with Bloodlines now.

I don't think they are embarrassed, nor should they be. Certainly, this did
not hamstring them or limit their options, as history has shown. And I seem to
recall that "Camarilla Vitae Slave" was printed as a retainter long after a
whole host were printed as standard vampires.

>So before deciding on the exact implementation for Bloodlines, they really
>have
>to have a good idea what direction they want the game to go in the future
>(and
>I'm sure they already now that!).

I'm certain.

-- John Whelan

Andy Brown

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 02:52:4724/09/2001
Halcyan 2 wrote:

> Yes but at least for now, the Lasombra are relatively balanced with the rest of
> the Sabbat clans. What happens if (when) they decide to bring the number of
> Sabbat vampires to 24 (to match the Camarilla and Independents)? Should the
> Kiasyd "count" as some of the Lasombra's vampires? Or will they give them a
> hefty advantage? Similarly, even just 6 True Brujah might give quite a bit of
> an advantage to the Brujah.

But don't you consider that discipline wise

The Brujah have !Brujah
The Toreador have !Toreador
The Nosferatu have !Nosferatu
and vice versa

and Toreador have Brujah (2 shared clan disciplines)

This puts these clans at high numbers anyway.

The clans will never manage true balance, and I don't think they should.
Leave them to increase at their own rate, influence the ones you want,
and construct decks around that.

I personally think bloodlines will give a little taste of other things
that are out there in the world of darkness to influence as a
Methesulah,
and that will aid the game. Yes, it might make it a little difficult
to start with, but then once newbies have learnt the basics, I don't
see that it will be a problem to then pick up the rest.

Andy

Setite Ruler of Cambridge

www.geocities.com/setitesuk
--
Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of
outragous fortune, or get fat on chocolate cake, eat the cake, life

Nystulc

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 03:03:4424/09/2001
Halcyon wrote:

>Yes but at least for now, the Lasombra are relatively balanced with the rest
>of
>the Sabbat clans. What happens if (when) they decide to bring the number of
>Sabbat vampires to 24

I doubt that this will radically effect their power. In any event, balance
considerations need not be considered for the next expansion until the next
expansion is released, at which point the designer will know better what
imbalances currently exist and might need to be addressed. Your concern is way
premature, especially considering that the next set will be Camarilla.

If I were you, I would be far more concerned that some abusively powerful card
may get past the playtesters unnoticed. This seems a far more likely
possibility in my book. But even mistakes like that can be corrected.

>(to match the Camarilla and Independents)? Should the
>Kiasyd "count" as some of the Lasombra's vampires? Or will they give them a
>hefty advantage? Similarly, even just 6 True Brujah might give quite a bit of
>an advantage to the Brujah.

If you count the Antitribu's, the Brujah already have 24+15 +39 vampires. Add
in the Toreador & the Toreador Antitribu (who share 2 of their 3 disciplines
just as the True Brujah do) and you get 40 more vampires. Then their are
countless others who share their discipline to varying extents. Adding 6 "True
Brujah" to the mix is a drop in the bucket at this point.

I don't even know if we will get as many as 6 each for the bloodlines. If the
set contains 60 vampires (more than the last one, with 58), then that is only 5
vampires for each of 12 bloodlines -- assuming no new vampires get introduced
for traditional clans.

>>>How about the
>>>Tzimisce, Tremere, and Ravnos?
>>
>>Will likely recieve new animalism, auspex, dominate, and fortitude powers,
>as
>>well as vampires with those abilities. In particular, the Tremere will be
>>enhanced by the Nagaraja, who share two of their disciplines.
>
>Actually I've previously addressed how the Nagaraja (aus/dom/nec) might help
>the Tremere. I was just using some clans as an example. But the point still
>stands:

I think that your point hardly stands without a better example. And I think we
should look at the actual cards printed before assessing game balance.

>some clans will get a lot more out of the expansion than others (and
>for no other reason than "that's the way the RPG is like."

Some clans will get a little more than others for a myriad of reasons.
Probably it will probably be something totally unanticipated, like the
Anti-Malks getting a new auspex card that just happens to work too well in a
sick dementation combo that the design team did not anticipate.

Maintaining balance is far more complex than counting vampires.

The RPG, of course, does very little to limit designers options. Spiritus
could be reinterpreted as a Path of Auspex (just as Nihilistics was
reinterpreted as Necromancy), in which case the Ahrimanes could complement the
Tzimisce well with their auspex/animalism combo. Alternatvely, the designer
could just print a few atypicals who happen to mesh with the Tzimisce.

LSJ

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 06:32:0124/09/2001
mgreen02 wrote:
> From a totally disconected point of view, the game is an impenetrable
> fog of meaningless words and symbols. There's 12 new clans probably
> with at least 10 new disciplines with their own symbols. Try teaching
> someone when you're up against that many different and apparently
> unconnected words that have a strong meaning in the game. To even
> stand a chance at getting the most out of this game you already have
> to:
>
> *Know the name of each clan
> *Know the name of each discipline
> *Match the discipline name to the symbol
> *Know which clans are likely to have which disciplines

Not really. All you have to do is match the symbols on your library cards
with the symbols on your crypt cards, now that the names are never being
used without the symbols nearby.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Andrew S. Davidson

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 07:32:4224/09/2001
On 24 Sep 2001 01:00:06 GMT, Halcyan 2 wrote:

>In addition, as we all know, game balance is an essential aspect of VTES.

>However, since the Bloodlines are expressly meant to augment and supplement
>existing clans, I really think some clans might get too much of an edge over
>the others. Brujah get True Brujah. Lasombra get Kiasyd. How about the
>Tzimisce, Tremere, and Ravnos? Somehow I think that the introduction of
>Bloodlines might further imbalance the delicate equilibrium among the clans.

Delicate equilibrium? The last time I looked at this, the Ventrue
were way out in front of the other clans (whose performance was far
from uniform). Looking at the decks in the final of this weekend's EC
championship, they include:

* Emerson vote and bleed

* Queen Ann takeover bloat

* presence and dominate vote / bleed bounce

Kudos to the Malkavian antitribu that beat all these successful
Ventrue. His key tactic was to change their clan and so turn them
into losers. That's a fun way of subverting their dominance - a
shame that it depends upon the power-rare Derange and so is not
available to commoners.

Andrew

Reyda

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 08:22:0224/09/2001

"Halcyan 2" <halc...@aol.com> a écrit dans le message news:
20010924003606...@mb-mv.aol.com...
(snip)

> Similarly, even just 6 True Brujah might give quite a bit of
> an advantage to the Brujah

Yes and No. Providing the True Brujah will be High cap and cannot learn and
use celerity at all (like in the RPG), they will benefit experienced players
only, who want to create soemthing new.

reyda

Reyda

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 08:26:3424/09/2001

"Nystulc" <nys...@cs.com> a écrit dans le message news:
20010924030344...@mb-ma.news.cs.com...
:

> Maintaining balance is far more complex than counting vampires.

i agree. i hope the playtest will be sufficient. are the playtesters' logic
as twisted as the "real" players' ?

> The RPG, of course, does very little to limit designers options. Spiritus
> could be reinterpreted as a Path of Auspex (just as Nihilistics was
> reinterpreted as Necromancy), in which case the Ahrimanes could complement
the
> Tzimisce well with their auspex/animalism combo.

No. spiritus will be spiritus. the clans are suppose to be introduced with
their own particular disciplines. We know that from the beginning.

> Alternatvely, the designer
> could just print a few atypicals who happen to mesh with the Tzimisce.

It's obvious, they will mesh even if they share only 2 disciplines. You are
not forced to use 3 disciplines to make a deck =) i saw Potence only or
Aus/Vic only decks that works really well.

reyda

Mike Nudd

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 08:48:0424/09/2001
mgre...@bcuc.ac.uk (mgreen02) wrote in message news:<a346f9cb.0109...@posting.google.com>...

> For all to see at:
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/Checklist_Bloodlines.html
>
> This struck me:
>
> "Bloodlines is the third expansion from White Wolf for Vampire: The
> Eternal Struggle, the collectible card game inspired by Vampire: The
> Masquerade and designed by the creator of Magic: The Gathering.
> Following the success of the Sabbat War and Final Nights expansions,
> Bloodlines introduces the Ahrimanes, Baali, Blood Brothers, Daughters
> of Cacophony, Gargoyles, Harbingers of Skulls, Kiasyd, Nagaraja,
> Salubri, Salubri antitribu, Samedi, and True Brujah along with each
> faction's unique vampiric powers."
>
> I have to say that reading this fills me with mixed feelings

I have to say I do have my reservations, and for similar reasons. As a
VEKN Prince, I feel responsible for encouraging as many players as
possible, both new and experienced. I can see the plethora of new
clans, disciplines and their associated symbols being somewhat of a
headache, especially for newbies. I fear we will have to label
Bloodlines an 'advanced' set, specifying non-Bloodlines demos and
intro games to avoid making things more confusing for observers and
newcomers.

One additional concern I have from an RPG purist point of view is the
number of things that appear to have been left out of the Bloodlines
set. If this card set is supposed to be a catchall for all the other
disparate vampiric elements of the WoD, then why were Assamite
antitribu, Ravnos antitribu and Serpents of the Light not included?
And also Lasombra antitribu, and non-Sabbat Tzimisce? I suspect there
will be no sect card text referring to the Black Hand or the Inconnu
either? If these elements are not to be included in this or future
cardsets then why not? It all seems a bit slapdash and half-hearted to
me. (Obviously I have not been privy to the playtest info, nor WW's
future release schedule. Can Steve, Todd or LSJ address my fears?)

Regards,

Mike Nudd
VEKN Prince of London

LSJ

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 09:00:0924/09/2001

"Bloodlines", the WoD term, doesn't encompass the groups you mention.

"antitribu" clans are not "bloodlines" - they're just members of a
major clan that have a different allegiance than the majority of their
clanmates. (The fact that the card game represents them as separate
clans notwithstanding.)

The Bloodlines expansion focuses on the Bloodlines and is already
bursting at the seams with the actual bloodlines to even consider
extending the scope to all hitherto-unrepresented WoD concepts.

No one can say that a given WoD element will never be included in a
future cardset, so the question "why not" is moot.

mgreen02

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 09:22:2224/09/2001
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3BAF0BA1...@white-wolf.com>...
> mgreen02 wrote:
[snip]

> > To even stand a chance at getting the most out of this game you already have
> > to:
> >
> > *Know the name of each clan
> > *Know the name of each discipline
> > *Match the discipline name to the symbol
> > *Know which clans are likely to have which disciplines
>
> Not really. All you have to do is match the symbols on your library cards
> with the symbols on your crypt cards, now that the names are never being
> used without the symbols nearby.

Granted. Playing the game at a basic nuts and bolts level you can
treat it as a symbol matching excerise. Getting the most out of the
game is a different matter. The problem arises when you try and
communicate information about the game, especially as the symbols
themselves are interpretive. My girlfriend, for example, who is
learning and is by no means a bad player, technically, coming as she
does from a Magic background would have trouble interacting with this
newsgroup unless she knew the above information. For me to talk to her
about the game involves the same information or a verbally descriptive
use of the symbols.

It's better than it was, but the Jyhad set is not the benchmark to
measure ease of play by, it is Pokemon or Harry Potter.

mattgreen

"....so the yellow guys...."
"The Ventrue antitribu."
"....um, yeah, they've got; Eyeball, Patio...and what else?"
"Fortitude"
"??"
"Mountain"
"Ah. And the purple guys...."
"Which purple guys?"
"The ones with Wave"
"Yes, the Lasombra do have Obtenebration, i'm with you- go on"
"Yeah them. They have; Wave, Patio and Fist right?"
"Right"
"So which ones have; Patio, Eyeball and Pentagram then?"
"Don't worry about them."

Andrew S. Davidson

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 09:32:4224/09/2001
On 24 Sep 2001 06:22:22 -0700, mgreen02 wrote:

>"The ones with Wave"
>"Yes, the Lasombra do have Obtenebration...

Around here, it's called "hairy".

Andrew

legbiter

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 10:02:0724/09/2001
Thanks for the heads-up, matt. Personally i am reasonably sanguine
about how this is going to fit into the existing scheme of things. The
only thing that worries me is how we are going to run pre-releases if
WW have really stopped printing precons. Will there be prerelease
events? Is there enough product left to be sure that there will be
material to run them?

James Coupe

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 09:06:1224/09/2001
In message <7306A225984D450E.5FCA477C...@lp.airnew
s.net>, Andrew S. Davidson <a...@csi.com> writes

>Delicate equilibrium? The last time I looked at this, the Ventrue
>were way out in front of the other clans (whose performance was far
>from uniform).

The Ventrue have a considerable amount of flexibility in a number of
ways which makes them really quite popular. That they also work well
defensively in combat and offensively in votes/bleeding means that it is
somewhat easier for J. Random Player to construct a deck that will
survive. The same player playing, say, Malkavians will struggle
somewhat to cover the bases without a fair degree of skill - Malkavian
combat defence is one of those tricky concepts to master.

When the clans get played by the right players with good skill, however,
it is far more tricky to establish what will happen where and when.

Lots of games have similar issues. Whilst I haven't heard much from
Lo5R for a long time, at one point (AIUI) the Crane clan were quite
powerful and quite versatile, but needed a strong player to bring them
through, once the players had realised "Ah, Crane clan. Honour win
easy. Must resist."

Put a powerful Ventrue deck[0] against a powerful Gangrel Royalty deck,
a strong Setite Free States Rant deck, an out-of-turn Malkavian
Rotschreck deck and a Tzimisce intercept-bleed deck[1] and all of them
have extremely strong chances of doing well. It's far from a foregone
conclusion.

[0] Whatever particular Ventrue deck you want. Just be glad it's not
the old Arika-RtoI-Day Operation deck (c) Rob Treasure, GenConUK 1997.

[1] Order the table however you want.

James Coupe

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 13:46:2424/09/2001
In message <9on962$3ek$1...@hadron.noos.net>, Reyda <re...@noos.fr> writes

>"Nystulc" <nys...@cs.com> a écrit dans le message news:
>20010924030344...@mb-ma.news.cs.com...
>> Maintaining balance is far more complex than counting vampires.
>
>i agree. i hope the playtest will be sufficient. are the playtesters' logic
>as twisted as the "real" players' ?

I would suggest that LSJ's often is that twisted, in a pre-emptive
manner, even if no-one else's is.

Franz Foltz

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 14:54:2524/09/2001
The big problem with all these new vamps and clans is that they make it
less and less likely that people will contest. Back in the old
Jyhad-only days, contesting was a large dimension of the game. It has
become less and less so. (There are a few exceptional vamps that make
their way into many decks.) Contesting was almost a viable strategy for
eliminating pool (it was sort of a two edged sword.)

Franz

Nystulc

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 15:36:2024/09/2001
Reyda wrote:

>No. spiritus will be spiritus. the clans are suppose to be introduced with
>their own particular disciplines. We know that from the beginning.

I believe you are mistaken. Please provide a quote.

The most that was EVER said was that the set would contain new disciplines. It
was never said that EACH new group would have a new discipline (and we know
that this is not so anyway, re the Nagaraja and the Harbingers). Nor was it
promised that "new disciplines" would be presented in the original manner.
Sure, each group will have its unique vampiric powers represented in some
fashion, but that could mean anything.

We know that there is scant room in the set for presenting ten whole new
disciplines in the traditional fashion. Do the math yourself.

-- John Whelan

Ian Lee

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 15:48:4424/09/2001
>One additional concern I have from an RPG purist point of view is the
>number of things that appear to have been left out of the Bloodlines
>set. If this card set is supposed to be a catchall for all the other
>disparate vampiric elements of the WoD, then why were Assamite
>antitribu, Ravnos antitribu and Serpents of the Light not included?

Has a reason for not focusing on these ever been given? Kill two birds by both
finishing off (first edition) Sabbat and by giving decks built around the
disciplines more options.

>And also Lasombra antitribu, and non-Sabbat Tzimisce?

I expect this is fairly easy for WW to do in future expansions as they wouldn't
require introducing new disciplines or sects, whereas the optimal time for
introducing the rest of the Sabbat has long passed. Though, I suppose if !Trem
come back fleshed out, could do an expansion focused around !Ravnos, !Trem,
!Assamites, SoL.

I suspect there
>will be no sect card text referring to the Black Hand or the Inconnu
>either?

What is the Ma- ... Black Hand? I have The Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand
book, and it's messy with the false BH, the true BH, there silly war against
Vicissitude, etc. I believe later editions of the RPG may have overwritten
that info anyway.

The only way I'd see having the Inconnu's presence in the game would be some
sort of master that did weirdness, a la Lupine Assault. The whole point of the
Inconnu is to be outside the Jyhad. The effects of their existence should be
"random" to represent that.

Derek Ray

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 15:50:4024/09/2001
On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:54:25 -0400, Franz Foltz
<faf...@osfmail.isc.rit.edu> wrote:

>The big problem with all these new vamps and clans is that they make it
>less and less likely that people will contest. Back in the old

Which is good. Right now, contesting vampires usually kills or weakens
both decks involved in the contestation, unless the vampire in question
is Smudge.

>Jyhad-only days, contesting was a large dimension of the game. It has
>become less and less so. (There are a few exceptional vamps that make
>their way into many decks.) Contesting was almost a viable strategy for
>eliminating pool (it was sort of a two edged sword.)

One which -invariably- cuts both ways, yes. I am not sorry to see more
variety in the game, myself; especially considering the length of
individual games.

--

Derek

AGITATOR, n. A statesman who shakes the fruit trees of
his neighbors -- to dislodge the worms.

Halcyan 2

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 16:42:4524/09/2001
>Kudos to the Malkavian antitribu that beat all these successful
>Ventrue. His key tactic was to change their clan and so turn them
>into losers. That's a fun way of subverting their dominance - a
>shame that it depends upon the power-rare Derange and so is not
>available to commoners.

You seem awfully fond of the term "power rares" Andrew. Anyway, if you mean
that Joe Bloggs can't walk down the street, buy a $9.95 starter deck and
automatically get a Derange then you're right. But don't forget the collectible
aspect of the game. It *is* possible for "commoners" to get Deranges. If they
aren't, then they're probably not trying hard enough or don't want them that
much...

Halcyan 2

Peter Oh

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 17:52:5424/09/2001

Mike Nudd <mi...@vekn.org.uk> wrote in message

> One additional concern I have from an RPG purist point of view is the
> number of things that appear to have been left out of the Bloodlines
> set. If this card set is supposed to be a catchall for all the other
> disparate vampiric elements of the WoD, then why were Assamite
> antitribu, Ravnos antitribu and Serpents of the Light not included?
> And also Lasombra antitribu, and non-Sabbat Tzimisce? I suspect there
> will be no sect card text referring to the Black Hand or the Inconnu
> either? If these elements are not to be included in this or future
> cardsets then why not? It all seems a bit slapdash and half-hearted to
> me. (Obviously I have not been privy to the playtest info, nor WW's
> future release schedule. Can Steve, Todd or LSJ address my fears?)

If I were in the designer's shoes, I wouldn't include the !Assamites,
!Ravnos, SOL, !Lasombra into the mix in the traditional way. There is
absolutely no need for more confusion with terms, symbols and clan-only
cards considering that the four groups above do not have different
discipline spreads than their counterparts. The main 7 antitribu clans play
a bigger role in the RPG in terms of formation of the Sabbat and they needed
to have been represented as totally different clans to help make the Sabbat
a viable sect for the CCG, not to mention the fact that three of the seven
main antitribu have different discipline spreads. If you notice, White Wolf
has already hinted at the inclusion of the !Ravnos and the !Lasombra with
Lucita (marked Independent) and Anka, Priestess of Thorns (marked Sabbat).
I think this will be a perfect way to continue to represent certain
antitribu clans, (just change their sect in the card text) without all of
the headache of making them official clans.

The Black Hand should be included in the CCG at some point I think. As
we've seen, Emiliano has some wonderful BH cards and rules variants on his
website, and I found myself wishing that something like that would be
incluuded in the future. This makes me wonder however, why do so many
people on this news group seem to think that expansions must now be released
as "sect-focused?" People are saying that the next Independent expansion or
the next Sabbat expansion are way far off. Why not include the Blackhand in
the next expansion after the Camarilla 2002 expansion? There is no rule
saying that once we include a Sabbat element into a set that the whole set
must now be Sabbat focused.

James Coupe

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 18:13:5824/09/2001
In message <20010924154844...@mb-df.aol.com>, Ian Lee
<cur...@aol.com> writes

>>One additional concern I have from an RPG purist point of view is the
>>number of things that appear to have been left out of the Bloodlines
>>set. If this card set is supposed to be a catchall for all the other
>>disparate vampiric elements of the WoD, then why were Assamite
>>antitribu, Ravnos antitribu and Serpents of the Light not included?
>
>Has a reason for not focusing on these ever been given? Kill two birds by both
>finishing off (first edition) Sabbat and by giving decks built around the
>disciplines more options.

Considering the fact that Sabbat War was chosen above Final Nights for
marketing reasons (a necessary evil), it seems quite likely that similar
thoughts may well have been had here. White Wolf may feel that they've
used the Sabbat "draw" as much as they care to at the present time,
preferring to exploit other facets of the World of Darkness milieu such
that no one area becomes used too much.

Mike:

>>And also Lasombra antitribu, and non-Sabbat Tzimisce?

Unless things have changed significantly, I seem to recall that non-
Sabbat Tzimisce were practically non-existent - far, far more so than
the Lasombra Antitribu of whom there are quite a few.

>I expect this is fairly easy for WW to do in future expansions as they wouldn't
>require introducing new disciplines or sects, whereas the optimal time for
>introducing the rest of the Sabbat has long passed. Though, I suppose if !Trem
>come back fleshed out, could do an expansion focused around !Ravnos, !Trem,
>!Assamites, SoL.

This seems like quite good idea indeed for, say, Spring 2003. Or, if
they want to make it a fairly large set like Final Nights, release it at
the end of 2003/start of 2004 with a smaller set in the middle of 2003.

(I really, really, really want the number of sets per year to slow down.
The game needs time to re-adjust.)

>The only way I'd see having the Inconnu's presence in the game would be some
>sort of master that did weirdness, a la Lupine Assault. The whole point of the
>Inconnu is to be outside the Jyhad. The effects of their existence should be
>"random" to represent that.

A Salubri card with Inconnu inclinations is quite possible, given the
"apology" in 2nd edition Players Guide.

Halcyan 2

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 18:58:1724/09/2001
>>>And also Lasombra antitribu, and non-Sabbat Tzimisce?
>
>Unless things have changed significantly, I seem to recall that non-
>Sabbat Tzimisce were practically non-existent - far, far more so than
>the Lasombra Antitribu of whom there are quite a few.

Yep. Whereas there's a decent number of Lasombra Anti's (probably about the
same number as Assamites Schismatics which are about a third of the Assamite
clan), you can pretty much count the number of Camarilla Tzimisce on one
hand...

>(I really, really, really want the number of sets per year to slow down.
>The game needs time to re-adjust.)

I agree. And our bank accounts need time to re-adjust as well! =)

Halcyan 2

jeroen rombouts

non lue,
24 sept. 2001, 19:49:4124/09/2001

"Halcyan 2" <halc...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >Unless things have changed significantly, I seem to recall that non-
> >Sabbat Tzimisce were practically non-existent - far, far more so than
> >the Lasombra Antitribu of whom there are quite a few.
>
> Yep. Whereas there's a decent number of Lasombra Anti's (probably about
the
> same number as Assamites Schismatics which are about a third of the
Assamite
> clan), you can pretty much count the number of Camarilla Tzimisce on one
> hand...

And the Old Country Tzimisce? The guys with ANI, AUS and DOM *drool*

W. Mark Woodhouse

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 01:30:4625/09/2001
On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:52:54 GMT, "Peter Oh" <ohb...@wam.umd.edu>
wrote:

>The Black Hand should be included in the CCG at some point I think. As
>we've seen, Emiliano has some wonderful BH cards and rules variants on his
>website, and I found myself wishing that something like that would be
>incluuded in the future. This makes me wonder however, why do so many
>people on this news group seem to think that expansions must now be released
>as "sect-focused?" People are saying that the next Independent expansion or
>the next Sabbat expansion are way far off. Why not include the Blackhand in
>the next expansion after the Camarilla 2002 expansion? There is no rule
>saying that once we include a Sabbat element into a set that the whole set
>must now be Sabbat focused.

Let me just throw out a plug for my preferred "Next Expansion After
The Camarilla One" (NEATCO?)

The Renegades. I would LOVE to see a storyline-attached (not
storyline-focused) expansion looking at those who THINK they've
escaped the Jyhad. The Anarch Free State could give us some new
weenies and some new anti-weenie goodness, as well as some Eastern
Kindred masters or Allies. The Black Hand, as mentioned, could be the
shot in the arm that Sabbat politics is missing as well as throwing in
some neat diablerie-related oddities. This would also be the logical
set for a few Sabbat Setites, Ravnos, and Assamites and maybe 1
Independent Tzimisce with ANI AUS DOM etc etc etc and a familiar name.
Possibly a few other Inconnu-related masters or locations.

Just a data point, in case WW is wondering what to do in 2003.

Mark Woodhouse
Prince of Minneapolis
(and slavering for his Bloodlines... BTW, _love_ the logo design)

Nystulc

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 03:29:1125/09/2001
Mike Nudd wrote:

>One additional concern I have from an RPG purist point of view is the
>number of things that appear to have been left out of the Bloodlines
>set. If this card set is supposed to be a catchall for all the other
>disparate vampiric elements of the WoD, then why were Assamite
>antitribu, Ravnos antitribu and Serpents of the Light not included?
>And also Lasombra antitribu, and non-Sabbat Tzimisce?

As far as the Ravnos Antitribu and the Lasombra Antribu are concerned (at
least), there already appears to be a clear indication on how the design team
intends to handle such issues.

For instance the most prominent "Lasombra Antitribu" in the WoD unverse,
currently, seems to be Lucita. The design team handled this merely by giving
her an alternate sect allegiance.

And we also have "Anka: Priestess of Thorns", a Sabbat Ravnos.

>I suspect there
>will be no sect card text referring to the Black Hand or the Inconnu
>either?

You cannot reasonably have Inconnu as vampires in play -- because that is
contrary to the entire concept of being Inconnu. Once you influence an vampire
into play he is about as Connu as he can be. However, if you want to imagine
yourself (the Methuselah) as an Inconnu, that is fine.

I'm sure we will see Black Hand eventually, though I am personally not much
looking foreward to them. More Sabbat Scumbags, and likely even harder to kill
than usual!

-- John Whelan

Nystulc

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 03:43:0325/09/2001
Jeroen Rombouts wrote:

>And the Old Country Tzimisce? The guys with ANI, AUS and DOM >*drool*

Officially, no such group exists as a well-defined entity. That is why the
term "Old Clan Tzimisce" was dropped in preference for terminology such as you
just used. There are elder Tzimisce who, for various reasons, did not joint
the Sabbat. Some (but not all) of these, for their own reasons again, reject
the use of Vicissitude. Some of those who reject Vicissitide perhaps prefer
Dominate, whereas others might prefer Potence -- or whatever. They have no
definable political structure, are not a clan, and do not have their own set
discipline mix.

No doubt, there is more than one Independent Tzimice with ani-aus-dom. But
they do not form a definable group in any official sense.

Of course, nothing prevents WW from printing, in some future expansion, one or
more Independent Tzimisce who dwell in the Old Country and have Dominate
instead of Vicissitude.

-- John Whelan

Nystulc

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 03:47:2925/09/2001
Franz Foltz wrote:

>The big problem with all these new vamps and clans is that they make it
>less and less likely that people will contest.

I am not particularly eager to see contesting of vampires as a strategy. I
would, however, like to see more contesting of Titles. I do not think, for
instance, that we need to introduce into the game any more Cities for vampires
to be Princes of. If more Princes are introduced to the game, they can re-use
old cities, and contest eachother's titles if both come into play.

-- John Whelan

Halcyan 2

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 03:47:4825/09/2001
>For instance the most prominent "Lasombra Antitribu" in the WoD unverse,
>currently, seems to be Lucita. The design team handled this merely by giving
>her an alternate sect allegiance.

Actually, in turns out Lucita wasn't really a Lasombra Antitribu after all
(!Lasombra are in the Camarilla any way, by default).

In fact, Lucita really should be considered just plain "Lasombra" since she's
joined up with the Sabbat ever since SW! (She now manages Madrid since
Moncada's dead).

Halcyan 2

Reyda

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 05:43:5525/09/2001

"Nystulc" <nys...@cs.com> a écrit dans le message news:
20010924153620...@mb-ma.news.cs.com...

> Reyda wrote:
>
> >No. spiritus will be spiritus. the clans are suppose to be introduced
with
> >their own particular disciplines. We know that from the beginning.
>
> I believe you are mistaken. Please provide a quote.

S Wieck said that in a interview made by a european player months ago.

> The most that was EVER said was that the set would contain new
disciplines. It
> was never said that EACH new group would have a new discipline (and we
know
> that this is not so anyway, re the Nagaraja and the Harbingers).

some new clans use old disciplines, of course. Some vampire will have very
special powers, reflecting what they clan can (or cannot do), for sure ! but
they promised us all those new disciplines and i'm sure we won't be
disappointed.

(snip)

> We know that there is scant room in the set for presenting ten whole new
> disciplines in the traditional fashion. Do the math yourself.

If they introduce only 7 or 8 *useful* cards for each discipline, that's not
so bad ! remember there was only 10 quietus cards in Ancient Hearts !
remember that the new bloodlines vampires are here to support existing clans
and create new variations.

reyda

Reyda

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 05:48:0825/09/2001

"Nystulc" <nys...@cs.com> a écrit dans le message news:
20010925034729...@mb-fk.news.cs.com...

> I am not particularly eager to see contesting of vampires as a strategy.
> would, however, like to see more contesting of Titles. I do not think,
for
> instance, that we need to introduce into the game any more Cities for
vampires
> to be Princes of. If more Princes are introduced to the game, they can
re-use
> old cities, and contest eachother's titles if both come into play.

Hey !! that's a very neat idea !

legbiter

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 06:12:4425/09/2001
<snip>

> mattgreen
>

> "....so the yellow guys...."
> "The Ventrue antitribu."
> "....um, yeah, they've got; Eyeball, Patio...and what else?"
> "Fortitude"
> "??"
> "Mountain"
> "Ah. And the purple guys...."
> "Which purple guys?"
> "The ones with Wave"
> "Yes, the Lasombra do have Obtenebration, i'm with you- go on"
> "Yeah them. They have; Wave, Patio and Fist right?"
> "Right"
> "So which ones have; Patio, Eyeball and Pentagram then?"
> "Don't worry about them."

This brought tears to my eyes, and i'm sure to many another.
Thank-you, Matt! i've just been trying to explain the special
abilities of the brown guys with paw, mountain and curly-wurly, for
whom, of course, patio is the much-neglected fourth discipline.

James Coupe

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 08:52:4225/09/2001
In message <9opk8o$oo7$1...@neon.noos.net>, Reyda <re...@noos.fr> writes

>>If more Princes are introduced to the game, they can
>re-use
>> old cities, and contest eachother's titles if both come into play.
>
>Hey !! that's a very neat idea !

One simple addition would be to have more cross-over of the Praxis and
Diocese, since they contest.

Matt Latham

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 09:25:0025/09/2001

> >Kudos to the Malkavian antitribu that beat all these successful
> >Ventrue. His key tactic was to change their clan and so turn them
> >into losers. That's a fun way of subverting their dominance - a
> >shame that it depends upon the power-rare Derange and so is not
> >available to commoners.

Noal McDonald, Prince of Detroit, has a nifty Derange deck with 12 of the
suckers. He traded heavily for them, which anyone can do. You can get a
booster box of Jyhad for $10. In that box you'll probably get a freak drive
and one other big rare like a Form of Mist or Flesh of Marble or such...
maybe even a Temptation of Greater Power. You could probably trade each of
those for two deranges, like Noal did.

You can generally make anything you want if you are patient enough. Whether
the current tournament scene encourages such creativity or discourages it is
a different discussion all together.

Matt
Denizen of the Sewers of Detroit (the power behind the throne)

Halcyan 2

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 10:11:0925/09/2001
>> >Kudos to the Malkavian antitribu that beat all these successful
>> >Ventrue. His key tactic was to change their clan and so turn them
>> >into losers. That's a fun way of subverting their dominance - a
>> >shame that it depends upon the power-rare Derange and so is not
>> >available to commoners.

Mr. Latham, I believe you misquoted me. The above statement was Andrew's and I
was merely refuting it.

>Noal McDonald, Prince of Detroit, has a nifty Derange deck with 12 of the
>suckers. He traded heavily for them, which anyone can do. You can get a
>booster box of Jyhad for $10. In that box you'll probably get a freak drive
>and one other big rare like a Form of Mist or Flesh of Marble or such...
>maybe even a Temptation of Greater Power. You could probably trade each of
>those for two deranges, like Noal did.
>
>You can generally make anything you want if you are patient enough. Whether
>the current tournament scene encourages such creativity or discourages it is
>a different discussion all together.

Exactly my point but with a concrete example instead of just theory. Thank you
Mr. Latham. =)

Halcyan 2

Pat Ricochet

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 11:35:1525/09/2001
>> (I really, really, really want the number of sets per year to slow down.
>> The game needs time to re-adjust.)
>
> I agree. And our bank accounts need time to re-adjust as well! =)

Hear, hear. If White Wolf could take anything from their fan base, it
should be the request to slow down the expansions. V:TES is far more
complicated than the typical CCG, and takes more time to digest. Say, an
8-month cycle would do us a LOT, LOT, LOT better than a 6-month cycle.

("LOT, LOT, LOT" triple emphasis as borrowed from Mr. Coupe's "really,
really, really." Something to take special note of, since both of us
usually just use appropriate adjectives, but English is failing in
describing how much it means to us, and how much we think it means to the
game.)

--
Pat Ricochet
Soul Jar'rn Fool of Atlanta

Nystulc

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 12:01:4625/09/2001
>"Nystulc" <nys...@cs.com> a écrit dans le message news:
>20010924153620...@mb-ma.news.cs.com...
>> Reyda wrote:
>>
>> >No. spiritus will be spiritus. the clans are suppose to be introduced
>with
>> >their own particular disciplines. We know that from the beginning.
>>
>> I believe you are mistaken. Please provide a quote.
>
>S Wieck said that in a interview made by a european player months ago.

Again: Quote Please! Said that? Said WHAT? Did he say "Spiritus will be
Spiritus and clans will be introduced with their own particular disciplines"?
That means little to me, even if he did say it.

-- John Whelan

Nystulc

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 12:07:5925/09/2001
Halcyon wrote:

All perfectly consistent with WoD's conception of what an "antitribu" is. It
is simply a clan member who has an alternate sect allegiance. Nothing prevents
them from changing sides.

It is also easy to make Lucita a Sabbat in the card game. Consistent with the
WoD reality, if she becomes Sabbat, she is just plain Lasombra.

-- John Whelan

Pat Ricochet

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 13:39:5425/09/2001
> It is also easy to make Lucita a Sabbat in the card game. Consistent with the
> WoD reality, if she becomes Sabbat, she is just plain Lasombra.

Easy or straightforward? AFAIK, there aren't any cards that say "This
vampire is now Sabbat." She can't Clan Impersonate to Lasombra to do it;
she didn't *change* clans, so she wouldn't *change* sect. (I think)
If you Derange her, she isn't "just plain Lasombra," she's "just plain
!Malk," and if she removes it, she'd revert to card text, I assume.
About all I can see is to Clan Impersonate to something, and then Clan
Impersonate again to Lasombra.

But, does that even work?

Name: Clan Impersonation
Cardtype: Action
Cost: 2 blood
Requires a ready vampire. +1 stealth action.
Choose a clan when this card is played. Put this card on the acting vampire.
This vampire is considered to be of the chosen clan instead of his or her
original clan (if any). All options available to the chosen clan are now
open to the acting vampire. This card may be burned by the vampire as an
action.

What happens if Lucita Clan Impersonates to, say, Ventrue (she's
changing clans, but keeping with purple =). She is now "considered to be a
member of the" Ventrue, "instead of" the Lasombra. She's now Camarilla,
too.
Now, *without* burning the first CI, she plays CI again (next turn, if
there's NRA), choosing Lasombra. By card text, she's now "considered to be
a member of" the Lasombra "instead of her ORIGINAL clan." Well, her
"original clan" is Lasombra. Or is it Ventrue?
Also, to really muck it up, BOTH cards remain (by card text) on Lucita.
Do they both take effect? Is she just playing both sides, and pretending to
be allied to both, and having "all options available" of both clans
available to her? Or does the most recent effect (becoming Lasombra)
override the previous action (being Ventrue).

The wording is tricky, because she doesn't ever actually *change* clans,
by card text. There is the "obvious intent" answer, but I'm curious what
the "legal" answer is. Scott?

Oh, and back to the original question? If she does this, is she
considered Sabbat? (and only Sabbat? =)

LSJ

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 13:02:5725/09/2001
Pat Ricochet wrote:

> > It is also easy to make Lucita a Sabbat in the card game. Consistent with the
> > WoD reality, if she becomes Sabbat, she is just plain Lasombra.
>
> Easy or straightforward? AFAIK, there aren't any cards that say "This
> vampire is now Sabbat." She can't Clan Impersonate to Lasombra to do it;
> she didn't *change* clans, so she wouldn't *change* sect. (I think)

Correct.

> If you Derange her, she isn't "just plain Lasombra," she's "just plain
> !Malk," and if she removes it, she'd revert to card text, I assume.

No. She'd change clans to Lasombra, and therefore her sect would be (remain)
Sabbat.

> About all I can see is to Clan Impersonate to something, and then Clan
> Impersonate again to Lasombra.

That would also work.
She could also Clan Impersonate and then burn the CI.

> What happens if Lucita Clan Impersonates to, say, Ventrue (she's
> changing clans, but keeping with purple =). She is now "considered to be a
> member of the" Ventrue, "instead of" the Lasombra. She's now Camarilla,
> too.

Right.

> Now, *without* burning the first CI, she plays CI again (next turn, if
> there's NRA), choosing Lasombra. By card text, she's now "considered to be
> a member of" the Lasombra "instead of her ORIGINAL clan." Well, her
> "original clan" is Lasombra. Or is it Ventrue?

Mostly this is "who cares?" :-).
But the card text is referring to Ventrue.

> Also, to really muck it up, BOTH cards remain (by card text) on Lucita.
> Do they both take effect? Is she just playing both sides, and pretending to
> be allied to both, and having "all options available" of both clans
> available to her? Or does the most recent effect (becoming Lasombra)
> override the previous action (being Ventrue).

Most recent applies. [LSJ 28-MAR-2000]

> The wording is tricky, because she doesn't ever actually *change* clans,
> by card text. There is the "obvious intent" answer, but I'm curious what
> the "legal" answer is. Scott?

If she's one clan and then becomes another, that's changing clans.

> Oh, and back to the original question? If she does this, is she
> considered Sabbat? (and only Sabbat? =)

Yes.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Ian Lee

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 15:11:5625/09/2001
>>> (I really, really, really want the number of sets per year to slow down.
>>> The game needs time to re-adjust.)
>>
>> I agree. And our bank accounts need time to re-adjust as well! =)
>
> Hear, hear. If White Wolf could take anything from their fan base, it
>should be the request to slow down the expansions. V:TES is far more
>complicated than the typical CCG, and takes more time to digest. Say, an
>8-month cycle would do us a LOT, LOT, LOT better than a 6-month cycle.

I'd agree that V:TES is one of the more complicated CCGs, at least from a deck
construction angle. However, it seems to me that a lot of the reason it takes
longer for players to digest new cards is simply not being used to having new
card to digest.

When Bloodlines comes out, my expectation is that a lot of players will go
"whoa, new cards again, I gotta stop screwing around and get up to speed". The
focus has been on trying to do something innovative with existing cards. Focus
will likely shift to trying to abuse new cards once it becomes normal to have
new cards.

Emmit Svenson

non lue,
25 sept. 2001, 17:04:1925/09/2001
Do you folks think that Bloodlines pre-release draft tournaments will
be feasible? Or do you think the vampires and disciplines be too
fragmentary to build into decks without cards from other sets?

Pat Ricochet

non lue,
26 sept. 2001, 01:20:3026/09/2001
>> Hear, hear. If White Wolf could take anything from their fan base, it
>> should be the request to slow down the expansions. V:TES is far more
>> complicated than the typical CCG, and takes more time to digest. Say, an
>> 8-month cycle would do us a LOT, LOT, LOT better than a 6-month cycle.
>
> I'd agree that V:TES is one of the more complicated CCGs, at least from a deck
> construction angle. However, it seems to me that a lot of the reason it takes
> longer for players to digest new cards is simply not being used to having new
> card to digest.

Temptation of Greater Power has been around a loooong time, while new
sets WERE still being made. Didn't really hit the tournament scene till,
what, a year or two ago?
Case studies aside, I somewhat disagree. I concur that *some* of the
reason players take longer to digest new cards is that they had the time
(before now). But I wouldn't say "most of," and I wouldn't even say "a lot
of." If you want to back that statement up, I'll be happy to debate it,
but other than that, we'll have to agree to disagree.

> When Bloodlines comes out, my expectation is that a lot of players will go
> "whoa, new cards again, I gotta stop screwing around and get up to speed".

You mean, take up the rabid Magic-player munchkin banner of trying to
win with cards before they get errata'd and banned?

> The
> focus has been on trying to do something innovative with existing cards.
> Focus
> will likely shift to trying to abuse new cards once it becomes normal to have
> new cards.

Abuse? Well, big difference being that V:TES isn't designed to HAVE
broken, highly abuseable cards, and Sabbat War and Final Nights have shown
WW and LSJ to be capable of doing it right. (Unlike, say, the Ancient
Hearts team, which I wonder if they even listened to their playtesters, with
RTI and Elisabetta Romano in one set.)

If playing interesting decks and tweaking and playing kooky combos to
plumb the depths of the game looking for a clever and original and effective
deck is "screwing around," then, yes, I'd rather HAVE time between sets and
"screw around," rather than "focusing on abusing new cards," and thereby,
forgetting about the old cards.

Ok, but what about WW making money?

Monetarily, I'm not going to spend more than X amount of money on cards
every year; I'm not going to buy N boxes of every set that WW produces.
They get my money one way or the other, really. But they can keep their
costs down by producing less sets per year, and increase the quality of
their product by having more time to produce each set, and not having to
rush it to the market (avoiding gotchas like the FN typos, etc.)
Now, that's just me, but I don't think I'm the only one who has a finite
amount of money for entertainment, but an uncountable craving for gameplay.
(If the average buyer has a near-infinte amount of money, but a finite want
of gameplay, then they want N boxes of each set that's released, and no
more. I don't think this is a good depiction of the target market, so
rapid-release isn't the way to go.)
If the sets come out fast enough that I have to cough up more money than
I was before just to keep up with the Jonses, then I'll quit buying, and
probably quit playing.

Either way, as a consumer or as a player, I think this 6-month cycle is
bad. Gimme 8 months; time to try ideas, and time to save money.

Robert Goudie

non lue,
26 sept. 2001, 00:48:3226/09/2001
"Pat Ricochet" <sp...@socrates.gatech.edu> wrote in message

> >> Hear, hear. If White Wolf could take anything from their fan base, it
> >> should be the request to slow down the expansions. V:TES is far more
> >> complicated than the typical CCG, and takes more time to digest. Say, an
> >> 8-month cycle would do us a LOT, LOT, LOT better than a 6-month cycle.
[clip]

> Either way, as a consumer or as a player, I think this 6-month cycle is
> bad. Gimme 8 months; time to try ideas, and time to save money.

I can't swear to it 'cause I don't have the email anymore but I'm pretty sure
that Steve Wieck said recently that they were shifting to an 8-month cycle.

-Robert
--

Robert Goudie
Chairman, V:EKN

Jarkko Tapani Hyysalo

non lue,
26 sept. 2001, 02:26:3926/09/2001
Matt Latham <mla...@diamondtoolmfg.com> wrote:

: "Halcyan 2" <halc...@aol.com> wrote in message
: news:20010924164245...@mb-md.aol.com...
:> >shame that it depends upon the power-rare Derange and so is not
:> >available to commoners.

: Noal McDonald, Prince of Detroit, has a nifty Derange deck with 12 of the
: suckers. He traded heavily for them, which anyone can do. You can get a
: booster box of Jyhad for $10. In that box you'll probably get a freak drive
: and one other big rare like a Form of Mist or Flesh of Marble or such...
: maybe even a Temptation of Greater Power. You could probably trade each of
: those for two deranges, like Noal did.

Well, maybe not that easy. Here in Finland is only one place, as far as I
know, that got Jyhad. Starters only and they cost about 9 USD a piece.

Potomac box price is 33 USD. Minimum order 100 USD, shipping rates to Finland
start from 16.50 USD (for 1 lbs.). Add taxes, which are added to the whole
price of the packet, including postage and shipping (very rough estimation
would be about 20%).

I know there are other places, possibly cheaper than Potomac, but this is
just a small reminder, that it isn't that cheap for everyone and everywhere.

I've been drooling for Deranges for a long time... And propably will be
out of saliva before I can even see the first Derange :(

I have even difficulties getting Confusions, because here where I live no
one has got any Sabbat cards. Well that might be easy to trade in Succubus
Club or otheer places...

: You can generally make anything you want if you are patient enough. Whether

: the current tournament scene encourages such creativity or discourages it is
: a different discussion all together.

Well I guess I have to be patient to get my 8-12 Deranges.

And sorry about the rant :)

Cheers,
Jarkko

: Matt