V:TES party games

The Name Forgotten

Mar 31, 2008, 8:49:01 AM3/31/08

I'm running our first sanctioned nationals (in a good long while) here
in South Africa this weekend, and I'd like to run some sideline
friendly competition style games that use the V:TES cards as a
platform, but are quick, friendly and sociable.

For example:

Guess the rarity:
Players divide into groups. The name of a card is called out (e.g.
Molotov Cocktail), and players need to guess the expansion and rarity
of the card (e.g. Common from Anarchs), bonus points added for cards
that are in multiple expansions and have multiple rarities.

Guess the vampire:
Players divide into groups. 3 bits of information about a vampire is
given out, and each team has a chance to guess which vampire it is.
Bits of information include sect, clan, capacity, disciplines, number
& level of disciplines, first letter of their name, title, special
abilities etc. Each time a person gets it wrong, a new clue is given,
and the next team gets their chance.

Anybody else have any similar style games that they can offer up to
help promote the love of this great game?

Thanks,
Val

LSJ

Mar 31, 2008, 9:08:53 AM3/31/08
The Name Forgotten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running our first sanctioned nationals (in a good long while) here
> in South Africa this weekend, and I'd like to run some sideline
> friendly competition style games that use the V:TES cards as a
> platform, but are quick, friendly and sociable.
>
> Anybody else have any similar style games that they can offer up to
> help promote the love of this great game?

Guess the Artist (variant of Guess the Rarity).

Library card pictionary.

Create a VTES version of the Werewolf party mystery game, using crypt cards to
assign roles. (e.g., "Assamites" -- guess which two vampires at the Elysium are
really Assamites in disguise before they send you to final death, or a
tide-turning version like "anarchs" or whatever)

Jozxyqk

Mar 31, 2008, 12:30:35 PM3/31/08
The Name Forgotten <tex...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> Guess the vampire:
> Players divide into groups. 3 bits of information about a vampire is
> given out, and each team has a chance to guess which vampire it is.
> Bits of information include sect, clan, capacity, disciplines, number
> & level of disciplines, first letter of their name, title, special
> abilities etc. Each time a person gets it wrong, a new clue is given,
> and the next team gets their chance.

Vampire "Guess Who"!

Does your vampire have a hat?
Is your vampire wearing sunglasses?

XZealot

Mar 31, 2008, 12:48:28 PM3/31/08

> Anybody else have any similar style games that they can offer up to
> help promote the love of this great game?

A Pinata covered with all the wallpaper and banned cards

Daneel

Mar 31, 2008, 1:04:07 PM3/31/08
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 05:49:01 -0700 (PDT), The Name Forgotten
<tex...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running our first sanctioned nationals (in a good long while) here
> in South Africa this weekend, and I'd like to run some sideline
> friendly competition style games that use the V:TES cards as a
> platform, but are quick, friendly and sociable.

You could run a warzone side event... ;P

--
Regards,

Daneel

jcrossn...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2008, 2:50:08 PM3/31/08
You could try Self Oust Olympics. You'd have to ban anything that lets
you spend X pool, but all other deck construction and rules of play
would be the same. Instead of counting VPs, you'd place in order of
how quickly you oust yourself. It would be interesting to see if
anyone would play a wall deck in such an event, to prevent others from
spending ludicrous amounts of pool on toolup actions.

Jesse

Janne Hägglund

Mar 31, 2008, 3:36:22 PM3/31/08
jcrossn...@gmail.com writes:

Ooh, I got to try this:

Crypt:

6x Tupdog
6x Heinrick Schelempt

Library:

Dia de los Muertos
Brinksmanship
Mirror Walk
57x Zip Gun

Probably not fast enough, though. :-D

HG

P.S.

Hey, wait a minute! -1 Brinksmanship, +1 Can't Take it with You. Faster.

Thrall of Arika

Mar 31, 2008, 4:10:55 PM3/31/08
On Mar 31, 12:36 pm, h...@iki.fi.remove.these.invalid (Janne Hägglund)
wrote:

'Fraid I can beat that:

Crypt:
12 x Arika

Library
60 x Zillah's Valley

4 turn self-out, guaranteed, with no vampire out to rush. :)

Chris, Thrall of Arika

John P.

Mar 31, 2008, 4:28:45 PM3/31/08
On Mar 31, 2:10 pm, Thrall of Arika <christopher.ack...@amec.com>
wrote:
> Chris, Thrall of Arika- Hide quoted text -

Better may be
Crypt: 12 vampires, does not matter which ones

Library
60 x Life Boon

Sit back and wait for someone to attempt to get ousted. Give them all
your pool.

-JTP

ben...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2008, 4:36:00 PM3/31/08

Turn 2 or 3 self-oust, depending on seating and depending on whether
John Pattie is playing. :)

12 Lumumba

30 different equipment that costs at least 1 pool
30 Guruhi Are The Land

Alternately,

12 Abebe
30 different equipment that costs at least 1 pool
30 Hag's Wrinkles

- Ben Peal

Salem

Mar 31, 2008, 6:01:29 PM3/31/08

+1 Centralised Background Check?

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'yahoo' to email)

Janne Hägglund

Mar 31, 2008, 6:12:43 PM3/31/08
Salem <salem_ch...@hotmail.com> writes:

A brilliant idea. But alas, we need to think how to get it played *before*
the Zip Guns.

HG

Johannes Walch

Mar 31, 2008, 6:50:22 PM3/31/08
ben...@gmail.com schrieb:

I will totally screw you with my deck of 60 D.I愀 :)

the_groo...@yahoo.com.au

Apr 1, 2008, 12:26:27 AM4/1/08
Here are some fun idea's we have used in our group:-

Everyone play political-themed decks:-25% of your deck had to be
political actions, watch the wheeling and dealing.

Play a 5-discipline decks, (min 10 cards for each discipline, and
multi- or dual-discipline cards only count once).

Fight Club: 2 player game with 60 card combat decks. All minions can
rush and a "D" action and burn 1 pool if burnt or goes to torpor. Rush
the only way to oust. "It's clobbring time"

Sect versus sect match: (strictly four player; cross table buddies
play the same sect and share their pool).

Bloodlines only decks.

Johannes Walch

Apr 1, 2008, 12:39:50 AM4/1/08
At the welcome party of the EC2004 in Heidelberg Stephane Lavrut had
prepared a V:TES trivia, much like a trivia night in a pub. People had
to gather in teams and he was asking V:TES related questions in the
style of the who/what/where is games the other people have suggested.
Just changing the nature of the questions often made it more interesting
imho. Answers had to be provided on paper and the results were tallied
afterwards. Naturally the questions were rather difficult to not have a
lot of ties for 1st. The trivia was well received, prizes were given out
as well.

There are also some friendly competition style games that use alcohol as
a platform, but I guess you didn´t ask for that :)

jcrossn...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2008, 1:23:06 AM4/1/08
> Better may be
> Crypt: 12 vampires, does not matter which ones
>
> Library
> 60 x Life Boon
>
> Sit back and wait for someone to attempt to get ousted. Give them all
> your pool.

Life Boon would have to be on the banned list, as it effectively
allows you to blow as much pool as you want at a single time.

Ben is probably on the right track with equip actions, though it seems
that the superior plan would probably just be 1 caps equipping assault
rifles. this plan is certainly less prone to DI, though it requires
you to play some pool costing masters in order to make the turn 2 self-
oust.

I'd still be curious in some perverse sense to see whether or not wall
decks would be competitive in this variant.

Johannes Walch

Apr 1, 2008, 2:26:16 AM4/1/08
jcrossn...@gmail.com schrieb:

> I'd still be curious in some perverse sense to see whether or not wall
> decks would be competitive in this variant.

When dealing with equipment weenies, sure. I guess the most reliable way
to self-oust in not too much time is using 12x Anson, Parthenon and
blowing pool on Zillah愀 Valleys.

Janne Hägglund

Apr 1, 2008, 6:38:06 AM4/1/08
the_groo...@yahoo.com.au writes:

> Here are some fun idea's we have used in our group:-

> Fight Club: 2 player game with 60 card combat decks. All minions can rush

> and a "D" action and burn 1 pool if burnt or goes to torpor. Rush the only
> way to oust. "It's clobbring time"

But what if you have torpored/burned all your opponent's minions? If rush is
the only way to oust, wouldn't the game grind to a halt?

HG

Salem

Apr 1, 2008, 8:40:33 AM4/1/08

hope everyone else had the same idea?

pack 6x of them? (and only zip guns as the other cards)

regardless, i went to the toilet mid game the other night when my
cross-table 'buddy' was having his turn, came back to the table to see
he had a Zip Gun, and asked 'did you pay the extra one for the
Centralised Background Check?' (which I controlled). He was on one pool
when I asked. He was on 0 pool after we'd sorted it out.

Peter D Bakija

Apr 1, 2008, 10:30:16 AM4/1/08
On Apr 1, 1:23 am, jcrossnicker...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ben is probably on the right track with equip actions, though it seems
> that the superior plan would probably just be 1 caps equipping assault
> rifles. this plan is certainly less prone to DI, though it requires
> you to play some pool costing masters in order to make the turn 2 self-
> oust.

Hmm. I'm not seeing it as likely before T3. Assuming you go 4th, T1
you spend 4 pool on 4 one caps. T2, you equip 4 Assault Rifles (does
AK-47 cost 6 pool by any chance?) for 20 pool. You are at 6 pool at
this point. Unless you can manage to play Club Zombie Turn 1 and then
some 2 cost master Turn 2, which is dicey. With a deck like:

12xDistinct 1 cap caitiff/pander

15 Club Zombie
15 Parthenon
30 Assault Rifle

And even then, there is room for failure. And if you go 1-3, you are
hosed in any case :-)

-Peter

Wookie813

Apr 1, 2008, 1:20:51 PM4/1/08
On Apr 1, 6:38 am, h...@iki.fi.remove.these.invalid (Janne Hägglund)
wrote:

Fight Club usually requires a little more mitigation - like a crypt
cap # (say 60) - the sum of all vampires capacities in you crypt
cannot exceed #. Vampires can still rescue and hunt, and some variants
allow an auto-hunting ground and/or limitless transfers to any 1
vampire, so your next vampire comes out in 1 turn.

Janne Hägglund

Apr 1, 2008, 2:08:54 PM4/1/08
Wookie813 <veknp...@yahoo.com> writes:

But that still does not address my question: how do you oust your opponent,
is you have torporized or burned all his minions, and he still has a lot of
pool left?

HG

Thrall of Arika

Apr 1, 2008, 2:42:22 PM4/1/08
On Apr 1, 11:08 am, h...@iki.fi.remove.these.invalid (Janne Hägglund)
wrote:
>                 HG- Hide quoted text -

Wouldn't the fact that you clobbered all of your opponents minions to
the point where they have no minions left mean you win? Are they
playing with just 1 caps? Even with all 2 caps: 12 x 2 = 24 pool, if
you've knocked them all out/burned = 12 more pool.

Chris, Thrall of Arika

The Name Forgotten

Apr 1, 2008, 3:32:19 PM4/1/08

> Guess the vampire:
> Players divide into groups. 3 bits of information about a vampire is
> given out, and each team has a chance to guess which vampire it is.
> Bits of information include sect, clan, capacity, disciplines, number
> & level of disciplines, first letter of their name, title, special
> abilities etc. Each time a person gets it wrong, a new clue is given,
> and the next team gets their chance.

Variant for Guess the Vampire:

Infernals Run With Demons.

Background: Once Cybele finds out your true name, you're welcomed into
the fire-pits of hell!
Preparation: A pile of 10 Cap vamps (preferably with lots of text and
disciplines - the more obscure the better), all different from each
other, and 1 Cybele.

Rules:
1) Count the number of players and reduce stack accordingly, making
sure that Cybele is added in.
2) Each person receives a card of a 10 Cap vampire.
3) The person who is Cybele comes forward.
4) Cybele may elect any person.
5) That person must give 5 bits of information about their character -
anything but their capacity, sect, and their name. Examples include: A
discipline (including the level), Clan, Title or 1 line of their
special abilities.
6) Cybele then has the opportunity to try and name them, or swap
places with them.
7) If Cybele names them correctly, they reveal their card and are
removed from the game.
8) If Cybele names them incorrectly, they reveal their card and Cybele
is removed and now replaced with that player.
9) If Cybele swaps places with them, the new Cybele is unable to elect
the player who previously played Cybele.
10) The game is won by the person who is Cybele when there is only one
other player left. If a new round is started, the remaining player
gets to start off as Cybele.

Any thoughts?

Wookie813

Apr 1, 2008, 7:51:34 PM4/1/08
On Apr 1, 2:08 pm, h...@iki.fi.remove.these.invalid (Janne Hägglund)
wrote:

I would think vampires could still bleed, but the OP stated that "rush
was the only way to oust". If that were the case, you'd have to rescue
and re-dunk, or make leaving torpor, if possible, mandatory. An auto-
feed from the crypt could also be instituted (every other turn, must
pay 1 Pool to move top of crypt to uncontrolled).

additional ruling: anytime one of your vampires torps/burns an
opposing vampire, you gain the edge. During your untap phase, if you
control the edge, instead of gaining a Pool you can choose a
methuselah who burns 1 Pool. That way, in the situation you describe,
the meth with vampires remaining will have the edge and wins by
default if the opponent cannot get a vampire ready.

The Lasombra

Apr 1, 2008, 9:11:06 PM4/1/08

Nope.

Secret Horde for 29.
Influence Smudge into play.

Peter D Bakija

Apr 1, 2008, 9:30:34 PM4/1/08
In article <i8n5v3hioohh0uomq...@4ax.com>,
The Lasombra <TheLa...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Secret Horde for 29.
> Influence Smudge into play.

Well, heck, why not just Secret Horde for 30 and score extra points for
not even making it to the minion phase?

:-)

Peter D Bakija
pd...@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6/vtes.html

"Find hungry samurai."
-The Old Man

Janne Hägglund

Apr 2, 2008, 2:17:06 AM4/2/08
The Lasombra <TheLa...@hotmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 08:26:16 +0200, Johannes Walch wrote:
>
> >jcrossn...@gmail.com schrieb:
> >> I'd still be curious in some perverse sense to see whether or not wall
> >> decks would be competitive in this variant.
>
> >When dealing with equipment weenies, sure. I guess the most reliable way
> >to self-oust in not too much time is using 12x Anson, Parthenon and

> >blowing pool on Zillah´s Valleys.

> Nope.
>
> Secret Horde for 29.
> Influence Smudge into play.

Unfortunately, the original post stated: "You'd have to ban anything that
lets you spend X pool". So Secret Horde is banned - otherwise the player who
was lucky to go first would win.

HG

Matthew T. Morgan

Apr 2, 2008, 12:16:07 PM4/2/08
Crypt: 12 unique 1 caps

Library

5x Last Stand
5x The Parthenon
5x Kingston Penitentiary
5x Club Zombie
5x Jake Washington

35x AK-47

Turn 1: Parthenon (28 pool), Jake. Jake gets a gun (pool 22), influence 4
guys (pool 18).

Turn 2: Last Stand (pool 12), Zombie/Kingston (pool 8). I now have 5
actions to try to get 2 guns. Not only is victory mine, but my predator
gets another turn!

Matt Morgan

Matthew T. Morgan

Apr 2, 2008, 12:25:24 PM4/2/08

Whoops, bad math. Dunno why I thought the guns cost 6 pool. Actually, I
do. Peter tricked me! Doesn't matter. It should still work out fine.

jcrossn...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2008, 5:00:36 PM4/2/08
> Crypt: 12 unique 1 caps
>
> Library
>
> 5x Last Stand
> 5x The Parthenon
> 5x Kingston Penitentiary
> 5x Club Zombie
> 5x Jake Washington
>
> 35x AK-47

This looks pretty good. Since we're already onto the idea of Jake
Washington buying expensive guns, it might be productive to look into
expensive allies who can equip expensive guns, or other expensive
allies. Samuel Haight, Akhenaten, and the Order of Hermes Cabal would
all be pretty good for that.

Meej

Apr 2, 2008, 5:57:09 PM4/2/08
On Apr 2, 12:16 pm, "Matthew T. Morgan" <farq...@io.com> wrote:
> Crypt: 12 unique 1 caps
>
> Library
>
> 5x Last Stand
> 5x The Parthenon
> 5x Kingston Penitentiary
> 5x Club Zombie
> 5x Jake Washington
>
> 35x AK-47

Since you only need 1 of either Kingston or Zombie, I'd drop one, go
up to 7x each of other the masters, and drop the AK's to 32; that way
there's more reliable chances of getting each of the key cards...

- D.J.

Wookie813

Apr 2, 2008, 7:32:53 PM4/2/08
On Mar 31, 2:50 pm, jcrossnicker...@gmail.com wrote:
> You could try Self Oust Olympics. You'd have to ban anything that lets
> you spend X pool, but all other deck construction and rules of play
> would be the same. Instead of counting VPs, you'd place in order of
> how quickly you oust yourself. It would be interesting to see if
> anyone would play a wall deck in such an event, to prevent others from
> spending ludicrous amounts of pool on toolup actions.
>
> Jesse

This would make Game of Malkav interesting, and could inspire creative
use of table-bloat mechanics.

flo...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2008, 9:27:35 PM4/2/08
I doubt the game would ever get that far but I would find it amusing
to see people KRC'ing themselves and Con Sag booning others.

floppyzedolfin

Apr 3, 2008, 5:51:04 PM4/3/08
19 Forced Awakenings,
19 Eagle's Sight,
19 Precognitions,
8 Aura Reading,
6 Club Zombie,
7 Parthenon,
8 Eternals of Sirius (no contesting :) )
1 AK-47
1 Assault Rifle

crypt:
4 Isabel de Leon or Zoe or Martin Frankel
8 tupdogs // 8 weenies 1-cap. Contest makes minions unable to perform
actions ;-)

If such a deck gets played in such a tournament, I guess the Eternals
will give him victory. There are more or less 20 actions to block
between 2 untap phases.

Turn 1 - Parthenon (if you get it), Club Zombie. 6 pool. +4 of
influence
block anything you can, till turn 2. Aura Readings to get rid of the
Unique cards.
turn 2 - Eternals of Sirius (just 1 since I expect other people to
have played a Parthenon) 14 pool
almost all other vampires will have to hunt (this is the tricky part,
thank you Precognition).
equip a weapon, 18 pool.
influence 22 pool.
other vampires have to hunt.
turn 3 - Eternals, influence. oust.

//

Version 2 :

same crypt

10 Guardian Angel
10 Bowl of Convergence
50 Forced Awakening
10 Aura Reading
8 AK 7

same idea, just a bit more narrow-minded.

//

version 3 :

crypt 12 Zoe

master - none.
reaction - 10 Forced Awakening
10 Eagle's Sight (actually, those are if your prey has no vampire
during the first turn.
10 whatever_auspex_reaction_card_you_want
combat - 10 Aura Reading
20 Disguised Weapon
20 AK-47

A minion can play more than 1 Disguised Weapon each combat :P And the
easiest way of entering combat is to block.