New Promo Card

OrgPlay

Feb 14, 2006, 2:50:34 PM2/14/06

Darth Una

Feb 14, 2006, 3:33:48 PM2/14/06
When will the Magazine promos (Samedi & Blood Brother) be available in
promo sets?

Please advise ...

Johannes Walch

Feb 14, 2006, 6:21:32 PM2/14/06

While the inferior is SOMEHOW useful (against Rötschreck I guess) the
superior version is really crap. If you don´t have 3 animals in your
hand Carrion Crows does the same (or better) and you don´t have to
discard and you don´t need superior protean and you can use it every
round. D´oh! Or am I missing some Uber-Combo?

Text for reference:

Call the Wild Hunt [Promo-20060213]
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Animalism & Protean
Only usable before range is determined.
[ani][pro] For the remainder of combat, this vampire is immune to frenzy
cards. A vampire may play only one Call the Wild Hunt each combat.
[ANI][PRO] As above, and during the initial strike resolution phase of
this round, you may burn X animals from your hand to inflict X ranged
damage on the opposing minion.

--
johannes walch

pd...@lightlink.com

Feb 14, 2006, 6:27:44 PM2/14/06
Johannes Walch wrote:
> While the inferior is SOMEHOW useful (against Rötschreck I guess) the
> superior version is really crap. If you don´t have 3 animals in your
> hand Carrion Crows does the same (or better) and you don´t have to
> discard and you don´t need superior protean and you can use it every
> round. D´oh! Or am I missing some Uber-Combo?

Maybe playing a deck with, like, 40 Wolf Companions?

-Peter

CthuluKitty

Feb 14, 2006, 6:33:25 PM2/14/06
> While the inferior is SOMEHOW useful (against Rötschreck I guess) the
> superior version is really crap. If you don´t have 3 animals in your
> hand Carrion Crows does the same (or better) and you don´t have to
> discard and you don´t need superior protean and you can use it every
> round. D´oh! Or am I missing some Uber-Combo?

I agree that it's not really all that hot, which is fine. Promo cards
shouldn't be uber-powerful, since they are often fairly rare in terms
who has them and how many they have. If this card sees serious use,
it will probably be in decks that contain large numbers of Pack Alphas
and animal retainers. While its affect is far from overwhelming, the
ability to pitch excess animals for free, while doing a potentially
hefty bit of damage in the process, is far from useless. It's also
exceedingly easy to cycle, which is good for cornercase cards.

flan

Feb 14, 2006, 9:09:56 PM2/14/06

Discarding isn't the liability it used to be. Ani/Pro/Spi tricks to
dump a bunch of retainers into the ash heap, then Spirit Beast them back
as needed. Toss in a few Pack Alphas, Ambrosius, and it's nearly as
good as just recruiting them to begin with.

David Wilson, Mask of a Thousand Names

Feb 15, 2006, 12:58:36 AM2/15/06
If one spends the time to get superior protean and Obtenebration on
someone like Howler, she can pitch your murder of crows, then summon
them back, afterwards descent into darkness.

Otherwise, not sure

Fred Scott

Feb 15, 2006, 1:16:59 AM2/15/06
"Johannes Walch" <johanne...@vekn.de> wrote in message
> OrgPlay wrote:
>> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=Cardlist_C#Call_the_Wild_Hunt

> While the inferior is SOMEHOW useful (against Rötschreck I guess) the superior version is really crap. If you don´t have 3 animals
> in your hand Carrion Crows does the same (or better) and you don´t have to discard and you don´t need superior protean and you can
> use it every round. D´oh! Or am I missing some Uber-Combo?

Well, Summon Spirit Beast, I suppose. What's your definition of Uber-Combo?

I'm assuming an "animal" is either an animal ally or an animal retainer.

At least, it's in tournament packs now. Ready or not.... :-)

Fred

Salem

Feb 15, 2006, 3:28:50 AM2/15/06
Johannes Walch wrote:
> OrgPlay wrote:
>> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=Cardlist_C#Call_the_Wild_Hunt
>>

>> ;)
>>
>> Available in tournament packs now.
>>
>> oscar
>>

> While the inferior is SOMEHOW useful (against Rötschreck I guess) the
> superior version is really crap. If you don´t have 3 animals in your
> hand Carrion Crows does the same (or better) and you don´t have to
> discard and you don´t need superior protean and you can use it every
> round. D´oh! Or am I missing some Uber-Combo?

you don't have to burn the animals until strike resolution (after
declare strikes), so you'll know if they're going to s:ce or not, and
THEY don't know if you actually have any animals or not.

aside from that....meh.

--
salem
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/vtes/

Morgan Vening

Feb 15, 2006, 6:10:05 AM2/15/06
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:28:50 +1100, Salem
<salem_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> While the inferior is SOMEHOW useful (against Rötschreck I guess) the
>> superior version is really crap. If you don´t have 3 animals in your
>> hand Carrion Crows does the same (or better) and you don´t have to
>> discard and you don´t need superior protean and you can use it every
>> round. D´oh! Or am I missing some Uber-Combo?
>
>you don't have to burn the animals until strike resolution (after
>declare strikes), so you'll know if they're going to s:ce or not, and
>THEY don't know if you actually have any animals or not.

I do like that bonus. The query I have, given the text...

>> [ANI][PRO] As above, and during the initial strike resolution phase of
>> this round, you may burn X animals from your hand to inflict X ranged
>> damage on the opposing minion.

is whether those get replaced in sufficient time to be discarded. ie,
is it...

a) I have 7 cards, 3 are Animals. I can discard 1, 2, or 3 for an
equivalent amount of damage, reslove strikes.

b) I have 7 cards, 3 are Animals. I discard #1, replace, not an
Animal, discard #2, replace, an Animal, discard that (#4), replace,
another Animal, discard that(#5), replace, not an Animal, discard #3,
replace, not an Animal, resolve for 5.

Also, how does it work for both players playing it? Does that active
player have to discard all of his Animals first, then the reacting? Or
is it Political Action vote time, willy nilly until all players are
done?

Morgan Vening

LSJ

Feb 15, 2006, 6:47:13 AM2/15/06
Morgan Vening wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:28:50 +1100, Salem
> <salem_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>While the inferior is SOMEHOW useful (against Rötschreck I guess) the
>>>superior version is really crap. If you don´t have 3 animals in your
>>>hand Carrion Crows does the same (or better) and you don´t have to
>>>discard and you don´t need superior protean and you can use it every
>>>round. D´oh! Or am I missing some Uber-Combo?
>>
>>you don't have to burn the animals until strike resolution (after
>>declare strikes), so you'll know if they're going to s:ce or not, and
>>THEY don't know if you actually have any animals or not.
>

> I do like that bonus. The query I have, given the text...
>

>>>[ANI][PRO] As above, and during the initial strike resolution phase of
>>>this round, you may burn X animals from your hand to inflict X ranged
>>>damage on the opposing minion.
>

> is whether those get replaced in sufficient time to be discarded. ie,
> is it...
>
> a) I have 7 cards, 3 are Animals. I can discard 1, 2, or 3 for an
> equivalent amount of damage, reslove strikes.

This.

> b) I have 7 cards, 3 are Animals. I discard #1, replace, not an
> Animal, discard #2, replace, an Animal, discard that (#4), replace,
> another Animal, discard that(#5), replace, not an Animal, discard #3,
> replace, not an Animal, resolve for 5.

This would be discarding an animal X times, not discarding X animals.

> Also, how does it work for both players playing it? Does that active
> player have to discard all of his Animals first, then the reacting? Or
> is it Political Action vote time, willy nilly until all players are
> done?

Acting discards X. Then blocking discards X.

--
That is my story, be it bitter or be it sweet.
Keep a little and let a little come back to me.

Screaming Vermillian

Feb 15, 2006, 7:38:17 AM2/15/06

Someone was looking at the "thrown junk" deck and thought this would be
a fun alternative interpretation of this mechanic, weren't they? :)

~SV

Hardy Range

Feb 15, 2006, 8:05:32 AM2/15/06

While we are talking about promo cards - any idea yet what will be done
about the "missing Osebo", Kisha Bhimji?

Greetings,

Hardy Range

LSJ

Feb 15, 2006, 8:25:46 AM2/15/06
Hardy Range wrote:
> While we are talking about promo cards - any idea yet what will be done
> about the "missing Osebo", Kisha Bhimji?

As soon as we have an answer, it will be made public
on the WW VTES page (and announced here and on the WW forums).

Daneel

Feb 15, 2006, 4:04:24 PM2/15/06

Too many promos for my taste. I just got my hand on one copy each of the
three promo vamps a few weeks ago, and I haven't got any Angelo, Wall
Street Night, or this new promo. Not that I'd die to play them (though I
do wait to have 5+ Nergals for a deck idea), it's just that I'd be more
happy to have fewer promos and an easier availability for them.

--
Bye,

Daneel

Salem

Feb 15, 2006, 4:34:03 PM2/15/06

wait, what? which three promo vamps? i thought angelo was one of them,
with genina and...someone? or do you mean the storyline promo vamps?
helena^, nergal and Alan^.

Daneel

Feb 16, 2006, 3:28:44 PM2/16/06
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:34:03 +1100, Salem <salem_ch...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Daneel wrote:
>> On 14 Feb 2006 11:50:34 -0800, OrgPlay <org...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=Cardlist_C#Call_the_Wild_Hunt
>>> ;)
>>>
>>> Available in tournament packs now.
>>
>> Too many promos for my taste. I just got my hand on one copy each of the
>> three promo vamps a few weeks ago, and I haven't got any Angelo, Wall
>> Street Night, or this new promo. Not that I'd die to play them (though
>> do wait to have 5+ Nergals for a deck idea), it's just that I'd be more
>> happy to have fewer promos and an easier availability for them.
>
> wait, what? which three promo vamps? i thought angelo was one of them,
> with genina and...someone? or do you mean the storyline promo vamps?
> helena^, nergal and Alan^.

Yep, it's those. I even mentioned Nergal - he really screams for a deck to
be built around him.

--
Bye,

Daneel

Damnans

Feb 16, 2006, 4:51:46 PM2/16/06

David Wilson, Mask of a Thousand Names

Feb 17, 2006, 2:36:50 PM2/17/06
LSJ,

What is the source of the damage? I am assuming it is the opposing
minion and considered environmental/

David

LSJ

Feb 17, 2006, 2:43:39 PM2/17/06
David Wilson, Mask of a Thousand Names wrote:
> What is the source of the damage? I am assuming it is the opposing
> minion and considered environmental/

Not the opposing minion. Environmental.

Fabio 'Sooner' Macedo

Feb 18, 2006, 8:43:31 AM2/18/06

Daneel escreveu:

> On 14 Feb 2006 11:50:34 -0800, OrgPlay <org...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>
> > http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=Cardlist_C#Call_the_Wild_Hunt
> >
> > ;)
> >
> > Available in tournament packs now.
>
> Too many promos for my taste. I just got my hand on one copy each of the
> three promo vamps a few weeks ago, and I haven't got any Angelo, Wall
> Street Night, or this new promo.

I agree. I wouldn't mind if there was more promos in each tournament
pack (say, 6 or 8 instead of the usual 4) to compensate, but that's not
the case.

As it is, many places in Brazil didn't receive (to my knowledge) even
Spontaneous Power and Redistribution yet. I have only 1 of each to
date. Let's not even talk about Genina and Angelo, or Wall Street
Night...
I'm cool and I know we will receive these someday, but if new promos
continue to appear with that speed, it's hard not to worry that some
will have to resort to eBay to complete their collections in the near
future. And it's not like we don't have a good rate of tournaments.

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo

Fred Scott

Feb 20, 2006, 2:40:54 PM2/20/06
"Fabio 'Sooner' Macedo" <fabio....@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Too many promos for my taste. I just got my hand on one copy each of the
>> three promo vamps a few weeks ago, and I haven't got any Angelo, Wall
>> Street Night, or this new promo.
>
> I agree. I wouldn't mind if there was more promos in each tournament
> pack (say, 6 or 8 instead of the usual 4) to compensate, but that's not
> the case.

Eh? I'm not sure what you mean. There's usually 12 of any given card
in the tournament packs I've seen.

> As it is, many places in Brazil didn't receive (to my knowledge) even
> Spontaneous Power and Redistribution yet. I have only 1 of each to
> date. Let's not even talk about Genina and Angelo, or Wall Street
> Night...

Yup. I already bitched and moaned about this point a few weeks ago.
I would like to see them hold off passing out promos at CQs that won't
be received in mundane VEKN tournament packs for months, for whatever
the reason. (How much "shelf life" do those older tournament packs
have, anyway?) Besides everyhing else, it makes an absolute mockery
out of the 30-day buffer period before a card becomes tournament-legal
based on the notion that all players should have had a fair chance to
get them within 30-days. Right...

But who knows? Maybe this has already been fixed. Or at least made
beter, I'm hoping.

> I'm cool and I know we will receive these someday, but if new promos
> continue to appear with that speed, it's hard not to worry that some
> will have to resort to eBay to complete their collections in the near
> future. And it's not like we don't have a good rate of tournaments.

I don't think they're intended to come out every two weeks or so.

Fred

Fabio 'Sooner' Macedo

Feb 21, 2006, 7:37:06 AM2/21/06
Fred Scott wrote:
> "Fabio 'Sooner' Macedo" <fabio....@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Too many promos for my taste. I just got my hand on one copy each of the
> >> three promo vamps a few weeks ago, and I haven't got any Angelo, Wall
> >> Street Night, or this new promo.
> >
> > I agree. I wouldn't mind if there was more promos in each tournament
> > pack (say, 6 or 8 instead of the usual 4) to compensate, but that's not
> > the case.
>
> Eh? I'm not sure what you mean. There's usually 12 of any given card
> in the tournament packs I've seen.

Sorry. I mean, 10-12 copies of 6 or 8 different promos instead of 4.
What, 1 more promo (12 copies of it) should be enough.
In the standard tournament pack, of course.

> > As it is, many places in Brazil didn't receive (to my knowledge) even
> > Spontaneous Power and Redistribution yet. I have only 1 of each to
> > date. Let's not even talk about Genina and Angelo, or Wall Street
> > Night...
>
> Yup. I already bitched and moaned about this point a few weeks ago.
> I would like to see them hold off passing out promos at CQs that won't
> be received in mundane VEKN tournament packs for months, for whatever
> the reason. (How much "shelf life" do those older tournament packs
> have, anyway?) Besides everyhing else, it makes an absolute mockery
> out of the 30-day buffer period before a card becomes tournament-legal
> based on the notion that all players should have had a fair chance to
> get them within 30-days. Right...
>
> But who knows? Maybe this has already been fixed. Or at least made
> beter, I'm hoping.

Me also. The only reason why I care is because we had a fair amount of
time with no tournament packs available at WW's warehouse whatsoever at
the second half of 2005. From then on, these promos were released:
- Redistribution (I know it came earlier, but we didn't receive regular
tournament packs with it before the "draught of packs" period)
- Spontaneous Power
- Genina
- Angelo
- Wall Street Night
- Call the Wild Hunt

Now, I know that Genina and Angelo aren't going to appear anytime soon
in the tournament packs (or if they do, say, in two months, it will
take some more time until these packs actually arrive in some places),
and that Wall Street Night will initially appear at qualifying support
material. This means it just takes a few packs with Redistribution,
Spontaneous Power and Call the Wild Hunt to make people happy. But it
is still a lot of promos to worry about staying behind.

I am lucky I live in a city that will certainly host a qualifier and a
lot of tournaments from March until November, so I believe I'll get a
good number of all of these until then. But I can't be certain about
other "domains" that do not share the same fortune. Maybe Promos are
meant to be a reward/incentive for Princes to actually schedule
tournaments on a regular basis, I'm cool with it. But if that's not the
intended function of releasing Promos, or at least not the primary one,
I believe it does not hurt to point out that not all "domains" will
keep up.

> > I'm cool and I know we will receive these someday, but if new promos
> > continue to appear with that speed, it's hard not to worry that some
> > will have to resort to eBay to complete their collections in the near
> > future. And it's not like we don't have a good rate of tournaments.
>
> I don't think they're intended to come out every two weeks or so.
> Fred

Me neither. But the time frame between the announcement of a new Promo
and the arrival of that Promo in the hands of the players is way larger
than two weeks sometimes. It gets worse when WW's warehouse can't keep
up with tournament pack stock. It gets even worse still (though WW has
nothing to do with this part, I'll just point out that these things
could happen in many places) when the local distributor makes a big
stock of material just to be sure - like when we had yet *another*
customs' employees strike that postponed the arrival of any WW material
for four months or so in the end of last year.

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo