Edge Explosion burned, confusion ensues

Petri Wessman

May 18, 2007, 7:48:37 AM5/18/07
The following came up in a game last night: an Imbued deck had Edge
Explosion out and had used it to play Powers on Imbued who didn't have
the matching creeds.

Soon after, the Edge Explosion was burned (with a Black Hand Ritual).

After this, we tried to figure out what happens to the Powers on the
Imbued who had gotten them via the Edge Explosion, and became
generally confused. Do they burn, too, since the card (EE) enabling
them to "have and use" them is burned? Do they just become unusable
(but stay on the Imbued)? Do they stay in game and usable (since they
are already in play when EE got burned)? Do aliens from Atlantis come
over and wipe your memory (and steal your cards)? Only the Shadow
knows...

Seriously, anyone have a clue or a relevant ruling? Not that this is a
very common occurrence, but it still would be interesting to know.

For reference:

Edge Explosion: Gehenna. Requires at least one other Gehenna card in
play. Each imbued can have (and use) one power card for which he or
she doesn't meet the requirements. An imbued who performs a successful
action may gain 1 conviction from his or her ash heap. An imbued can
only gain 1 conviction this way each turn.

Bram Vink

May 18, 2007, 8:48:19 AM5/18/07

I'd assume the following:
It's possible to have cards you do not fulfill the requirements for.
As far as I know the requirement on most cards that stick into play is
checked (bar cardtext) only when playing the card.
The difficult part is that it's not clear wether the requirement
translates to the use of the power card.
Since there's no clear indication towards the use of powers requiring
anything else than tapping/conviction, I'd guess you both retain your
powers, and can use them.
So my guess would be that in essence the text on Edge Explosion is
slightly misleading, and the "have (and use)" basically refers to the
successful retrieval of one single power card, but is in common use
clearer in wording as it is.

Cheers,
Bram

LSJ

May 18, 2007, 11:06:31 AM5/18/07
Petri Wessman wrote:
> The following came up in a game last night: an Imbued deck had Edge
> Explosion out and had used it to play Powers on Imbued who didn't have
> the matching creeds.
>
> Soon after, the Edge Explosion was burned (with a Black Hand Ritual).
>
> After this, we tried to figure out what happens to the Powers on the
> Imbued who had gotten them via the Edge Explosion, and became
> generally confused. Do they burn, too, since the card (EE) enabling
> them to "have and use" them is burned? Do they just become unusable
> (but stay on the Imbued)? Do they stay in game and usable (since they
> are already in play when EE got burned)? Do aliens from Atlantis come
> over and wipe your memory (and steal your cards)? Only the Shadow
> knows...

Stay and are usable.