Hay Ride question

henrik

Jun 17, 2010, 10:54:13 AM6/17/10
Is it legal to play Hay Ride and then finish your minion phase without
any further actions and wait until next turn to play the action card?
I don't see any real reason why it shouldn't be allowed, but want to
make sure for upcoming tournament.

Hay Ride [HttB:R]
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Sanguinus
[san] Only usable after resolving an action (successfully or not).
Choose a Blood Brother of the same circle as this acting vampire. As
your next action, that Blood Brother may play the action card used for
this action from your ash heap as if from your hand.
[SAN] As above, but the cost of this card is reduced by 1 blood.

The Lasombra

Jun 17, 2010, 12:02:16 PM6/17/10
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 07:54:13 -0700 (PDT), henrik wrote:

>Is it legal to play Hay Ride and then finish your minion phase without
>any further actions and wait until next turn to play the action card?

Yes.

It doesn't set up a mandatory action, simply allows a new option.
When that option is exercised is not specified, other than "next
action".

Rehlow

Jun 17, 2010, 12:16:04 PM6/17/10
> >[SAN] As above, but the cost of this card is reduced by 1 blood.- Hide quoted text -

Maybe Hay Ride has a use (rather than just playing more copies of the
actions you want to play) in making threats. I have this Hay Ride
Bum's Rush all ready to go on my next turn. Don't piss me off or I'm
rushing you.

Later,
~Rehlow

Kushiel

Jun 17, 2010, 4:28:30 PM6/17/10
On Jun 17, 12:16 pm, Rehlow <newsgr...@rehlow.com> wrote:
> Maybe Hay Ride has a use (rather than just playing more copies of the
> actions you want to play) in making threats. I have this Hay Ride
> Bum's Rush all ready to go on my next turn. Don't piss me off or I'm
> rushing you.

Hay Ride has a use in the same way that Art of Memory has a use - it
allows you to tune your deck as you're playing it, to fit the specific
situation you find yourself in.

Hay Ride isn't nearly as good due to it being restricted to actions
only, but being able to take back a Bum's Rush or Unwholesome Bond at
a critical moment might make it worth playing.

John Eno

Meej

Jun 17, 2010, 4:52:29 PM6/17/10
On Jun 17, 12:02 pm, The Lasombra <TheLasom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 07:54:13 -0700 (PDT), henrik wrote:
> >Is it legal to play Hay Ride and then finish your minion phase without
> >any further actions and wait until next turn to play the action card?
>
> Yes.
>
> It doesn't set up a mandatory action, simply allows a new option.
> When that option is exercised is not specified, other than "next
> action".

Are we sure? There's also a case to be made that, when you next get
the impulse, you either take a "next action" then (and may use the Hay
Ride'd action card), or you pass, and that "next action" window
closes.

Even if you *can* pass, let the Enkil Cog, Madness Network, and Ankou
do their stuff, then take your next action *then* as the Hay Ride, I'm
not sure whether the Hay Ride would persist into a next turn.

It very well might - I'm not saying it shouldn't - but other than
cards put in play, I can't think of many effects that linger between
turns. So I'm unsure without precedent and/or LSJ to clarify intent.

- D.J.

Darby Keeney

Jun 17, 2010, 5:12:28 PM6/17/10

Card text.

"As your next action" does not restrict you to "your next action this
turn."

Charming Lobby is another example of this behavior. It will trigger
on the next referendum, regardless of who calls it (on your turn,
another players, your next turn, or even after that).

Contrast that to Cryptic Rider, which by card text, is restricted to
the next referendum you call on that turn only.

Meej

Jun 17, 2010, 5:51:39 PM6/17/10

There we go - that's what I was missing. Thanks, Darby.
- D.J.

LSJ

Jun 17, 2010, 9:46:01 PM6/17/10
On Jun 17, 5:12 pm, Darby Keeney <darby.kee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2:52 pm, Meej <djchag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yes.
>
> > > It doesn't set up a mandatory action, simply allows a new option.
> > > When that option is exercised is not specified, other than "next
> > > action".
>
> > Are we sure?  There's also a case to be made that, when you next get
> > the impulse, you either take a "next action" then (and may use the Hay
> > Ride'd action card), or you pass, and that "next action" window
> > closes.
>
> > Even if you *can* pass, let the Enkil Cog, Madness Network, and Ankou
> > do their stuff, then take your next action *then* as the Hay Ride, I'm
> > not sure whether the Hay Ride would persist into a next turn.
>
> > It very well might - I'm not saying it shouldn't - but other than
> > cards put in play, I can't think of many effects that linger between
> > turns.  So I'm unsure without precedent and/or LSJ to clarify intent.

Intent, schmintent.

> Card text.
>
> "As your next action" does not restrict you to "your next action this
> turn."
>
> Charming Lobby is another example of this behavior.  It will trigger
> on the next referendum, regardless of who calls it (on your turn,
> another players, your next turn, or even after that).
>
> Contrast that to Cryptic Rider, which by card text, is restricted to
> the next referendum you call on that turn only.

Correct.

Meej

Jun 18, 2010, 9:12:18 AM6/18/10
On Jun 17, 9:46 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> On Jun 17, 5:12 pm, Darby Keeney <darby.kee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 17, 2:52 pm, Meej <djchag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It very well might - I'm not saying it shouldn't - but other than
> > > cards put in play, I can't think of many effects that linger between
> > > turns.  So I'm unsure without precedent and/or LSJ to clarify intent.
>
> Intent, schmintent.
>
> > Card text.

> Correct.

Yeah, as soon as Darby pointed it out, I thought "Oh, of course."
I blame my sleep-addled brain, due to the new Third Tradition minion
in the household.
(I think she's a Daughter of Cacophony. Certainly a daughter,
certainly raises a cacophony sometimes.)

- D.J.

Jozxyqk

Jun 18, 2010, 10:02:17 AM6/18/10
Meej <djch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I blame my sleep-addled brain, due to the new Third Tradition minion
> in the household.
> (I think she's a Daughter of Cacophony. Certainly a daughter,
> certainly raises a cacophony sometimes.)

Except she can easily block all of your actions!

Meej

Jun 18, 2010, 11:35:25 AM6/18/10
On Jun 18, 10:02 am, Jozxyqk <jfeue...@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:

True, true.

- D.J.

TorranceCircle

Jun 18, 2010, 1:22:04 PM6/18/10

> Maybe Hay Ride has a use (rather than just playing more copies of the
> actions you want to play) in making threats. I have this Hay Ride
> Bum's Rush all ready to go on my next turn. Don't piss me off or I'm
> rushing you.
>
> Later,
> ~Rehlow-

Or Coagulated Entity?!?!?

Darby Keeney

Jun 18, 2010, 2:00:52 PM6/18/10
On Jun 18, 7:12 am, Meej <djchag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, as soon as Darby pointed it out, I thought "Oh, of course."
> I blame my sleep-addled brain, due to the new Third Tradition minion
> in the household.

Congrats on the progeny

Meej

Jun 18, 2010, 2:10:50 PM6/18/10