Bundi with Haymaker or Withering

Malone

Oct 1, 2007, 10:09:59 PM10/1/07
Withering: Strike: make a hand strike. Place this card on the
opposing minion. The minion with this card has -1 strength. Burn this
card during his or her controller's next discard phase.

Haymaker: This minion's initial strike this round will be a hand
strike for strength+1 damage and the opposing minion's initial strike
this round gets first strike. If either minion inflicts more damage
than the other this round, that minion gets an optional press this
round.

How do these interact with a Bundi? I haven't seen the card, I've
only read spoiler text (which may not be accurate), but it looks to me
like Bundi and Withering are incompatible, but a Bundi strike after
playing Haymaker should be fine.

kula...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 12:16:38 AM10/2/07

Won't work with either... Withering and Haymaker is both a strike
card... You choose your strike already... Why you can't pushing the
limits under a haymaker...

If I think about it. I think Pushing the limit won't work on a Bundi
if I played IG... I could Bundi, but if I play Pushing the limits, I
would have to choose Bundi as a melee weapon, which isn't allowed in
an IG... But I could be wrong... LSJ?

LSJ

Oct 2, 2007, 6:27:09 AM10/2/07
kula...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 1, 7:09 pm, Malone <kffos...@indiana.edu> wrote:
>> Withering: Strike: make a hand strike. Place this card on the
>> opposing minion. The minion with this card has -1 strength. Burn this
>> card during his or her controller's next discard phase.
>>
>> Haymaker: This minion's initial strike this round will be a hand
>> strike for strength+1 damage and the opposing minion's initial strike
>> this round gets first strike. If either minion inflicts more damage
>> than the other this round, that minion gets an optional press this
>> round.
>>
>> How do these interact with a Bundi? I haven't seen the card, I've
>> only read spoiler text (which may not be accurate), but it looks to me
>> like Bundi and Withering are incompatible, but a Bundi strike after
>> playing Haymaker should be fine.
>
> Won't work with either... Withering and Haymaker is both a strike
> card... You choose your strike already... Why you can't pushing the
> limits under a haymaker...

Correct...

> If I think about it. I think Pushing the limit won't work on a Bundi
> if I played IG... I could Bundi, but if I play Pushing the limits, I
> would have to choose Bundi as a melee weapon, which isn't allowed in
> an IG... But I could be wrong... LSJ?

No... You could use Pushing the Limit to make a melee weapon strike with the
Bundi under Immortal Grapple... The Bundi melee weapon strike is a hand
strike... IG doesn't stop that.

Malone

Oct 2, 2007, 8:41:28 AM10/2/07
but it looks to me
> >> like Bundi and Withering are incompatible, but a Bundi strike after
> >> playing Haymaker should be fine.
>
> > Won't work with either... Withering and Haymaker is both a strike
> > card... You choose your strike already... Why you can't pushing the
> > limits under a haymaker...
>
> Correct...

Haymaker is not a strike card. It does make you commit to a strike,
but it is not a strike card. It makes you commit to a hand strike at
str +1, which is exactly what the Bundi strike is. So after Haymaker
you may use the Bundi to strike.

Please clarify why I am wrong (i.e., don't just tell me I'm wrong).

LSJ

Oct 2, 2007, 8:48:09 AM10/2/07
Malone wrote:
> but it looks to me
>>> Won't work with either... Withering and Haymaker is both a strike
>>> card... You choose your strike already... Why you can't pushing the
>>> limits under a haymaker...
>> Correct...
>
> Haymaker is not a strike card. It does make you commit to a strike,
> but it is not a strike card. It makes you commit to a hand strike at
> str +1, which is exactly what the Bundi strike is. So after Haymaker
> you may use the Bundi to strike.
>
> Please clarify why I am wrong (i.e., don't just tell me I'm wrong).

Haymaker chooses (sets) your strike by explicit card text.

The strike it chooses is "hand strike for strength+1 damage", not "bundi".

Merlin

Oct 2, 2007, 9:17:52 AM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 6:27 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

Really? I don't get it. I thought a minion could only choose one
strike per round (barring additionals).

Bundi [LotN:C]
Cardtype: Equipment
Cost: 2 pool
Melee weapon.
Strike: make a hand strike for strength +1 damage. (This strike is
both a hand strike and a melee weapon strike). Bearer may prevent 1
damage from each melee weapon strike made against him or her.

Pushing the Limit

Card Text:

Strike: use your hand or melee weapon at +2 damage.
Strike: use your hand or melee weapon at +3 damage.

I've been under the impression that since each of these cards say
"strike" they are mutually exclusive and cannot be used together.

So Bundi can be used with Slam, Brute Force, Undead Strength, etc?

-Merlin

LSJ

Oct 2, 2007, 10:11:52 AM10/2/07
Merlin wrote:
> I've been under the impression that since each of these cards say
> "strike" they are mutually exclusive and cannot be used together.

Since they say "use a melee weapon" or "make a melee weapon strike", they can
use Bundi.

> So Bundi can be used with Slam, Brute Force, Undead Strength, etc?

Anything that says "use your melee weapon", yes.

Not Slam.

Meej

Oct 2, 2007, 12:28:35 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 10:11 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Merlin wrote:
> > I've been under the impression that since each of these cards say
> > "strike" they are mutually exclusive and cannot be used together.
>
> Since they say "use a melee weapon" or "make a melee weapon strike", they can
> use Bundi.

Is there a functional difference anywhere due to the fact that Bundi
(and Waxen Poetica and Garrotte) read "Strike: (fnord) damage (etc)"
rather than a standard weapon template of "(fnord) damage each strike
(etc)"? Should the "Strike:" templating on those few cards not be
read as indicating a choice of strike?

To further clarify (or maybe muddy), I believe that despite the
difference in phrasing, the intent is that "use a melee weapon" and
"make a melee weapon strike" mean the same thing, and that I can't
Strike: Undead Strength to "make a melee weapon strike at +1/+2
damage" where the strike I make is Growing Fury's "Strike: Use your...
melee weapon at..." - that seems clear, because each minion can only
play one strike card per strike, per the rules. Why, then, can you
Strike with Undead Strength to use Bundi's "Strike: make a ..."? Just
templating issues?

- D.J.

LSJ

Oct 2, 2007, 1:20:41 PM10/2/07
Meej wrote:
> On Oct 2, 10:11 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> Merlin wrote:
>>> I've been under the impression that since each of these cards say
>>> "strike" they are mutually exclusive and cannot be used together.
>> Since they say "use a melee weapon" or "make a melee weapon strike", they can
>> use Bundi.
>
> Is there a functional difference anywhere due to the fact that Bundi
> (and Waxen Poetica and Garrotte) read "Strike: (fnord) damage (etc)"
> rather than a standard weapon template of "(fnord) damage each strike
> (etc)"?

No.

> Should the "Strike:" templating on those few cards not be
> read as indicating a choice of strike?

No.

> To further clarify (or maybe muddy), I believe that despite the
> difference in phrasing, the intent is that "use a melee weapon" and
> "make a melee weapon strike" mean the same thing, and that I can't
> Strike: Undead Strength to "make a melee weapon strike at +1/+2
> damage" where the strike I make is Growing Fury's "Strike: Use your...
> melee weapon at..." - that seems clear, because each minion can only
> play one strike card per strike, per the rules.

Correct.

> Why, then, can you
> Strike with Undead Strength to use Bundi's "Strike: make a ..."? Just
> templating issues?

You can because Undead Strength says you can use a melee weapon to strike. Bundi
is a melee weapon.

Meej

Oct 2, 2007, 1:33:01 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 1:20 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Meej wrote:

> > Is there a functional difference anywhere due to the fact that Bundi
> > (and Waxen Poetica and Garrotte) read "Strike: (fnord) damage (etc)"
> > rather than a standard weapon template of "(fnord) damage each strike
> > (etc)"?

> No.

> > Should the "Strike:" templating on those few cards not be
> > read as indicating a choice of strike?
>
> No.

I'm interpreting from the above that you're saying "The Strike:
templating on Bundi, Waxen Poetica, and so on is *not* meant to
indicate that using them *is* your strike. It's just different
templating to mean the same thing as usual."

Which is what I figured; better to confirm, though.

Does this extend to Nightstick's prevent-damage strike?
IE, is that also simply outlining how that weapon works in a strike,
rather than committing that particular strike with the weapon?
Could you use Undead Strength to add damage to it?
If not, as I think the case is, is that because it's already a strike,
or is is because the Nightstick's prevent-strike isn't a damage-
dealing strike, and thus a "+x damage" effect won't do anything?
And if it's the latter (as I think it is), could you play the Undead
Strength to cycle, even though it won't add damage, as you're "making
a melee weapon strike"?

Nightstick [LotN:U]
Cardtype: Equipment. Melee weapon.
Cost: 1 pool
Strike: strength +1 damage. Or strike: prevent 3 damage from the
opposing minion's next hand or melee weapon strike this round
(including any currently-resolving hand or melee weapon strike). Only
usable once each round.

(Sorry if I'm coming across as pedantic, here - I'm just trying to
sort out the implications, if any, of the wording, or if there is no
implication, trying to point out ambiguities.)

- D.J.

LSJ

Oct 2, 2007, 1:57:06 PM10/2/07
Meej wrote:
> Does this extend to Nightstick's prevent-damage strike?
> IE, is that also simply outlining how that weapon works in a strike,
> rather than committing that particular strike with the weapon?

Nightstick can be used in two different ways.

> Could you use Undead Strength to add damage to it?

You could select the non-damage-dealing strike when using the melee weapon
Nightstick with Undead Strength, sure. As always, adding damage to a strike that
doesn't deal damage has no effect, so the strike still won't do damage.

> If not, as I think the case is, is that because it's already a strike,
> or is is because the Nightstick's prevent-strike isn't a damage-
> dealing strike, and thus a "+x damage" effect won't do anything?

The latter.

> And if it's the latter (as I think it is), could you play the Undead
> Strength to cycle, even though it won't add damage, as you're "making
> a melee weapon strike"?

Yes.

nood...@iprimus.com.au

Oct 2, 2007, 8:58:39 PM10/2/07

So can you augment a Bundi strike with Undead Strength, etc, whilst
grappling/grappled?

Dasein

Oct 2, 2007, 9:41:48 PM10/2/07
On Oct 3, 10:58 am, noodle...@iprimus.com.au wrote:
> So can you augment a Bundi strike with Undead Strength, etc, whilst
> grappling/grappled?

That's crazy.
So Jacques Molay can rush with built-in, grapple, play Sword of the
Righteous at basic val, then push the limit with his Bundi for like,
what, 7 aggravated damage? (2 strength, bundi +1, sword for +1, push
the limit for +3 more). Holy crap. Finally a melee weapon which
actually, like, works. Hooray!!

This guy can now burn vampires like nobody's business. If only he was
titled; then the whole Red List / Trophy thing could actually work.

Oct 2, 2007, 10:47:02 PM10/2/07
On Oct 3, 11:41 am, Dasein <dasein2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 10:58 am, noodle...@iprimus.com.au wrote:
>
> > So can you augment a Bundi strike with Undead Strength, etc, whilst
> > grappling/grappled?
>
> That's crazy.
> So Jacques Molay can rush with built-in, grapple, play Sword of the
> Righteous at basic val, then push the limit with his Bundi for like,
> what, 7 aggravated damage? (2 strength, bundi +1, sword for +1, push
> the limit for +3 more). Holy crap. Finally a melee weapon which
> actually, like, works. Hooray!!

Don't forget Signpost and Fists for another +4.

--> J
grail_pbem "at" hotmail.com

Appolonius

Oct 2, 2007, 11:33:47 PM10/2/07

Don't forget Jaroslav Pascek with a Bundi - cardless strikes for 4 that
work under IG. Actually playing any other cards would almost be cruel.

Appolonius.

Oct 3, 2007, 12:18:59 AM10/3/07
> Don't forget Jaroslav Pascek with a Bundi - cardless strikes for 4 that
> work under IG. Actually playing any other cards would almost be cruel.

Of course, he's got a Depravity and Preternatural Strength on him as
well... so the combat involves Grapples and Prevent. :D

nood...@iprimus.com.au

Oct 3, 2007, 1:29:26 AM10/3/07

Hektor with a Preternatural Strength, Depravity and a Forger's Hammer
on his Bundi. 6 agg cardless strikes under IG. He can play Freak
Drives and Forced Marches too.

PH3@R T3H 1337 MULTI RU5HZORZ

eyj...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2007, 2:28:47 AM10/3/07

But then only "damage from Hektor's hand strikes is aggravated".

I don't think any vampire has the ability to set their weapon on
fire... yet.

James Coupe

Oct 3, 2007, 2:56:58 AM10/3/07
In message <1191392927....@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,

eyj...@gmail.com writes:
>On Oct 3, 3:29 pm, noodle...@iprimus.com.au wrote:
>> Hektor with a Preternatural Strength, Depravity and a Forger's Hammer
>> on his Bundi. 6 agg cardless strikes under IG. He can play Freak
>> Drives and Forced Marches too.
>>
>> PH3@R T3H 1337 MULTI RU5HZORZ
>
>But then only "damage from Hektor's hand strikes is aggravated".

Hitting with Bundi is a hand strike, as well as a melee weapon strike.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

Dasein

Oct 3, 2007, 3:03:17 AM10/3/07

Sure there is. Like I said, Jacques Molay with Sword of the Righteous.
Bundi agg damage in a grapple.

but yeah its probably easier to use Jaroslav with Grapples and
Pursuits (either to go to close for grapple, or for additional).
Cardless strikes for 4 that work in or out of a grapple is crazy.
Pushing the Limit or whatever just makes it silly. Plus Jaro can't be
PTOed, can play 2nd Trad, has +1 intercept, etc.

The Name Forgotten

Oct 6, 2007, 12:47:11 PM10/6/07
Sorry, I'm still a bit confused. Why was Bundi worded in such a LSJ-
awful way? Why does it say 'Make a hand strike at +1 strength'? With
that wording it makes it sound like you can't play undead strength
etc, and get the + 1 strength from bundi, because both of them are
asking you to make a strike in the same fashion.

It's very similar to Camera Phone and Computer Hacking - you'd only be
able to bleed with one or the other, because both are bleed action
declarations, just as Bundi and undead strength both seem to be strike
declarations, and in both cases you are only allowed to make one
strike declaration.

>From the reading of the card it more sounds like you should be able to
play undead strength with bundi (because it is a melee weapon, so you
can select it), but you would sacrifice the additional point of damage
from the bundi, as that is part of the declared strike using the
weapon.

As far as I can see, a much better wording for bundi would've been the
way that both Anarch Revolt and Fragment seem to incorrectly list them
(unless there already has been an errata made on the card that I'm
unaware of) - that is to say:

Strike: hand strike for strength+1 damage. (This strike is both a hand

strike and a melee weapon strike). Bearer may prevent 1 damage from
each melee weapon strike made against him or her.

Instead of what is printed on the card, which is:
Strike: *make a* hand strike for strength + 1 damage [etc] [emphasis
mine]

I cannot see why those two extra words were added to the card, other
than to confuse the hell out of players. You don't see bastard sword
saying "Make a strike for strength + 1 damage" or even "Make a melee
strike for strength +1 damage" or whatever.

Sorry, I may be moaning about this because I made an incorrect ruling
about it at our tournament today, and I *hate* making mistakes like
that when I feel the argument is a justified one.

The wording seems to add extra words for no apparant reason, and it
breaks the current template of wording, which seems to suggest that
the change in words is done for a reason. Am I missing something? Do
those extra two words actually fulfill a purpose that I'm not seeing?
Someone please clear this up for me.

Daneel

Oct 6, 2007, 1:08:11 PM10/6/07
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:47:11 -0700, The Name Forgotten
<tex...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> Sorry, I'm still a bit confused. Why was Bundi worded in such a LSJ-
> awful way? Why does it say 'Make a hand strike at +1 strength'? With
> that wording it makes it sound like you can't play undead strength
> etc, and get the + 1 strength from bundi, because both of them are
> asking you to make a strike in the same fashion.

Bundi is a melee weapon that allows you to strike for strength+1
damage.

Undead Strength allows you to strike for +1/+2 damage with your
hand/melee weapon.

If you use Undead Strength to strike with Bundi (a melee weapon)
you inflict Strength +1 +1/+2 damage.

If you use Undead Strength to strike with your hand, then you will
only strike for Strength +1/+2, even if you have a Bundi that
would allow you to strike for Strength +1 damage.

> It's very similar to Camera Phone and Computer Hacking - you'd only be
> able to bleed with one or the other, because both are bleed action
> declarations, just as Bundi and undead strength both seem to be strike
> declarations, and in both cases you are only allowed to make one
> strike declaration.

If Undead Strength would not allow you to strike with a Melee weapon,
then you would indeed be limited to choose either the Bundi strike, or
the Undead Strength strike. The only reason you can combine them is
because you can use Undead Strength to strike with a Melee Weapon.

[...]

> The wording seems to add extra words for no apparant reason, and it
> breaks the current template of wording, which seems to suggest that
> the change in words is done for a reason. Am I missing something? Do
> those extra two words actually fulfill a purpose that I'm not seeing?
> Someone please clear this up for me.

In general I agree that if we are anyway using wording templates, we
might as well stick to them. Deviations only create confusion.

--
Regards,

Daneel

LSJ

Oct 6, 2007, 4:53:19 PM10/6/07
The Name Forgotten wrote:
> As far as I can see, a much better wording for bundi would've been the
> way that both Anarch Revolt and Fragment seem to incorrectly list them
> (unless there already has been an errata made on the card that I'm
> unaware of) - that is to say:
>
> Strike: hand strike for strength+1 damage. (This strike is both a hand
> strike and a melee weapon strike). Bearer may prevent 1 damage from
> each melee weapon strike made against him or her.
>
> Instead of what is printed on the card, which is:
> Strike: *make a* hand strike for strength + 1 damage [etc] [emphasis
> mine]

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=Cardlist_B#Bundi

The online text was clarified since some players seem confused by the old style
wording (which is not new to Bundi).

Anarch Revolt and Fragment both used the official CSV, so they both used the
text found there.

The Name Forgotten

Oct 6, 2007, 8:21:10 PM10/6/07
On Oct 6, 10:53 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> The Name Forgotten wrote:
[snip]

> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=Cardlist_B#Bundi
>
> The online text was clarified since some players seem confused by the old style
> wording (which is not new to Bundi).
>
> Anarch Revolt and Fragment both used the official CSV, so they both used the
> text found there.

Chalk me up as one of the confused players. It may not be new to
Bundi, but it was changed to the current template for clarity. It's
like printing out a weapon card now that refers to hand damage instead
of strength. It would really confuse players unless the change was
specifically mentioned.

LSJ

Oct 6, 2007, 8:26:35 PM10/6/07

No. When it was printed, it used the then-current template.

Unlike the premise of printing a new card that refers, in an old-template way,
to hand damage.

gpett...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2007, 10:30:18 AM10/8/07
On Oct 6, 8:26 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> No. When it was printed, it used the then-current template.

Why was Concealed Weapon taken off-template?

--
- Gregory Stuart Pettigrew

LSJ

Oct 8, 2007, 10:31:10 AM10/8/07
gpett...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 6, 8:26 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> No. When it was printed, it used the then-current template.
>>

> Why was Concealed Weapon taken off-template?

It wasn't.

gpett...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2007, 12:14:04 PM10/8/07
On Oct 8, 10:31 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

"more than X":

Archon Investigation Master
Bloodwork Action
Call the Great Beast Action
Caseless Rounds Combat
Cat Burglary Action
Concealed Weapon Combat (previous text)
Concordance Action
Contingency Planning Master
Dive into Madness Action
Dragon's Breath Rounds Combat
Free States Rant Political Action
Glaser Rounds Combat
Illegal Search and Seizure Master
Inveraray, Scotland Equipment
Kraken's Kiss Combat
Last Stand Master
Legwork Reaction
Manstopper Rounds Combat
Night Moves Action
Orun Master
Protected Resources Master
Quick Jab Combat
Recalled to the Founder Event
Retribution Master
Revelation of Wrath Combat
Sabbat Threat Political Action
Scattershot Combat
Secret Must Be Kept, The Political Action
Speed of Thought Action
Stake Equipment
Swarm Retainer
Trophy: Library Master
Vendetta Reaction
Web of Knives Recruit Action
Wooden Stake
Demdemeh Tzimisce
Earl "Shaka74" Deams Visionary
Franciscus Caitiff
Gaël Pilet Daughter of Cacophony
Monty Coven Assamite

"less than X":

Antithesis Action
Aranthebes, The Immortal Action
Auto-da-fé Political Action
Black Spiral Buddy Ally
Brinksmanship Political Action
Chair of Hades Action
Charisma Master
Dr. Marisa Fletcher, CDC Event
Eldest Command Undeath, The Political Action
Filchware's Pawn Shop Master
Foreshadowing Destruction Action Modifier
Gargoyle Slave Ally
Harass Action
Herald of Topheth Ally
High Top Ally
Hostile Takeover Master
Lesser Boon Master
Liberty Club Intrigue Action
Missing Voice, The Action Modifier
Nest of Eagles Reaction
New Management Action
Notorious Brutality Action Modifier
Ohoyo Hopoksia (Bastet) Ally
Powerbase: Madrid Master
Predator's Mastery Action Modifier
Project Power
Puppeteer (Wraith) Ally
Rabble Razing Political Action
Redcap Wilder Retainer
Renegade Garou Ally
Respire Power
Rock Cat Ally
Samuel Haight Ally
Set's Curse Action
Sleep of Reason Action
Snipe Hunt Political Action
Sunset Strip, Hollywood Master
Thin-Blooded Seer Action
Thirst Event
Wendell Delburton (Hunter) Ally
Young Bloods Ally
Anisa Marianna Lopez Harbinger of Skulls
Barth Toreador
Black Cat Brujah
David Morgan, The Scourge Malkavian
Durga Syn Ravnos
Ignazio Giovanni Giovanni
Lucina Toreador
Lucita (Advanced) Lasombra
Melinda Galbraith (Advanced) Toreador antitribu
Pentweret Follower of Set
Regina Giovanni, The Right Hand of Augustus Giovanni
Sha-Ennu Tzimisce
Victorine Lafourcade Ventrue

"X or more" (excluding X=1 as that is a special case):
Concealed Weapon Combat (current text)
Conservative Agitation Political Action
Entrenching Action
High Aye Action Modifier
High Orun Action Modifier
Justicar Retribution Political Action
Khazar's Diary (Endless Night) Action
Kine Resources Contested Political Action
Madness Network Master
Path of Tears, The Master
Reckless Agitation Political Action
Twisting the Knife Combat