(LSJ) a batch of questions

Haze

Apr 25, 2010, 11:07:54 PM4/25/10
catatonic fear vs fortitude cards have been asked about a hundred
times, but I couldn't find anyone ever asking about using other
abilities. so these first two questions are just to be absolutely sure
on the ruling...

(1) Can a Flak Jacket (or Omaya, etc.) prevent damage from Catatonic
Fear?

"The minion with this equipment may prevent 1 damage each combat."
"Omaya may prevent one damage each combat."

(2) Can Blood Shield (or Chaundice) prevent damage from Catatonic
Fear?

"The minion with this equipment may prevent 1 damage from an opposing
minion's strike each round."
"Twice each combat, Chaundice may prevent up to 2 non-aggravated
damage from the opposing minion's strikes that round."

(3) How does Blood Tempering interact with Flak Jacket - as in "when"
is it considered to be preventing damage? would the Blood Tempering
apply at "each combat" or at the exact moment the methuselah chooses
to prevent damage?

A. Flak Jacket must prevent 2 damage at the same time, like superior
Skin of Rock.
B. Flak Jacket can prevent up to 2 damage each combat, at different
times if needed.

therefore it would similarly apply to Kevlar Vest:

A. Kevlar Vest can prevent all damage from AK-47 by preventing 1 (plus
1 additional) and then next strike preventing 1 (plus 1 additional)?
Would this even work on Assault Rifle by preventing 1 (+1) damage
twice on the same strike?
B. Kevlar Vest can prevent a total of 3 damage from gun strikes each
combat, no more, at three different times if needed.

"Put this card on an equipment. This melee weapon inflicts an
additional damage each strike. When this equipment prevents damage in
combat, it can prevent an additional point. An equipment can have only
one Blood Tempering."
"Bearer may prevent 2 damage from gun strikes or 1 damage from any
other source each combat. A minion may have only one Kevlar Vest."

(4) Mouthpiece and Inspire Greatness are "Only usable by a ready
vampire other than the acting minion", but unlike Cloak the Gathering,
they lack the text "acting minion you control." Can these cards can be
played on an acting minion controlled by another methuselah?

(5) Finally, needing a clarification on effects in the pre-range step.
Oops I mean, the Only Usable Before Range Is Determined Pseudo-Step.
This happened in a game and we weren't sure what would happen.
Al-Muntaquim is blocked by Saulot and plays Dawn Operation, so all
damage in combat is aggravated. Al-Muntaquim plays Outside the
Hourglass (Pre-range: Inflict 2 damage). Saulot's controller doesn't
have damage prevention on hand, but plays Weather Control before
resolving the 2 agg effect which would send him to torpor. Is ordering
pre-range effects like this allowed?

Thanks in advance

YY

Apr 26, 2010, 1:26:00 AM4/26/10
On Apr 26, 11:07 am, Haze <headlessr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> catatonic fear vs fortitude cards have been asked about a hundred
> times, but I couldn't find anyone ever asking about using other
> abilities. so these first two questions are just to be absolutely sure
> on the ruling...
>
> (1) Can a Flak Jacket (or Omaya, etc.) prevent damage from Catatonic
> Fear?

No, the damage from Catatonic Fear is resolved *after* combat ends, so
any cards or abilities that can only be used in combat cannot be used
to prevent it.

> (2) Can Blood Shield (or Chaundice) prevent damage from Catatonic
> Fear?

No, see above.

> (3) How does Blood Tempering interact with Flak Jacket - as in "when"
> is it considered to be preventing damage? would the Blood Tempering
> apply at "each combat" or at the exact moment the methuselah chooses
> to prevent damage?
>
> A. Flak Jacket must prevent 2 damage at the same time, like superior
> Skin of Rock.
> B. Flak Jacket can prevent up to 2 damage each combat, at different
> times if needed.

A. At the point in time "When this equipment prevents damage in

combat, it can prevent an additional point".

> therefore it would similarly apply to Kevlar Vest:
>
> A. Kevlar Vest can prevent all damage from AK-47 by preventing 1 (plus
> 1 additional) and then next strike preventing 1 (plus 1 additional)?
> Would this even work on Assault Rifle by preventing 1 (+1) damage
> twice on the same strike?

Not too sure, but I would think the answer is no.
It's a good idea to *not* insert an additional question between A and
B.

> B. Kevlar Vest can prevent a total of 3 damage from gun strikes each
> combat, no more, at three different times if needed.

A.

> (4) Mouthpiece and Inspire Greatness are "Only usable by a ready
> vampire other than the acting minion", but unlike Cloak the Gathering,
> they lack the text "acting minion you control." Can these cards can be
> played on an acting minion controlled by another methuselah?

No. You may only play action modifiers when you control the acting
minion.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulings.html
# Action Modifiers that can be played by minions other than the acting
minion (Hidden Lurker, Mask of a Thousand Faces, superior Cloak the
Gathering) can only be played by the controller of the acting minion.
[LSJ 19990425]

> (5) Finally, needing a clarification on effects in the pre-range step.
> Oops I mean, the Only Usable Before Range Is Determined Pseudo-Step.
> This happened in a game and we weren't sure what would happen.
> Al-Muntaquim is blocked by Saulot and plays Dawn Operation, so all
> damage in combat is aggravated. Al-Muntaquim plays Outside the
> Hourglass (Pre-range: Inflict 2 damage). Saulot's controller doesn't
> have damage prevention on hand, but plays Weather Control before
> resolving the 2 agg effect which would send him to torpor. Is ordering
> pre-range effects like this allowed?

No. Outside the Hourglass resolves when it in played. Saulot takes 2
aggravated damage and goes to torpor without a chance to play other
cards (except to prevent the damage or to cancel OtH).

> Thanks in advance

You're welcome.

Cheers.

-YY

LSJ

Apr 26, 2010, 6:59:24 AM4/26/10
On Apr 26, 1:26 am, YY <the1andonl...@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 11:07 am, Haze <headlessr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > (1) Can a Flak Jacket (or Omaya, etc.) prevent damage from Catatonic
> > Fear?
>
> No, the damage from Catatonic Fear is resolved *after* combat ends, so
> any cards or abilities that can only be used in combat cannot be used
> to prevent it.
>
> > (2) Can Blood Shield (or Chaundice) prevent damage from Catatonic
> > Fear?
>
> No, see above.

Correct.

> > (3) How does Blood Tempering interact with Flak Jacket - as in "when"
> > is it considered to be preventing damage? would the Blood Tempering
> > apply at "each combat" or at the exact moment the methuselah chooses
> > to prevent damage?
>
> > A. Flak Jacket must prevent 2 damage at the same time, like superior
> > Skin of Rock.
> > B. Flak Jacket can prevent up to 2 damage each combat, at different
> > times if needed.
>
> A. At the point in time "When this equipment prevents damage in
> combat, it can prevent an additional point".

Correct.

> > therefore it would similarly apply to Kevlar Vest:
>
> > A. Kevlar Vest can prevent all damage from AK-47 by preventing 1 (plus
> > 1 additional) and then next strike preventing 1 (plus 1 additional)?
> > Would this even work on Assault Rifle by preventing 1 (+1) damage
> > twice on the same strike?
>
> Not too sure, but I would think the answer is no.

Actually, yes, you can prevent 1 and 1 with the Kevlar Vest.

> It's a good idea to *not* insert an additional question between A and
> B.
>
> > B. Kevlar Vest can prevent a total of 3 damage from gun strikes each
> > combat, no more, at three different times if needed.
>
> A.

Correct.

> > (4) Mouthpiece and Inspire Greatness are "Only usable by a ready
> > vampire other than the acting minion", but unlike Cloak the Gathering,
> > they lack the text "acting minion you control." Can these cards can be
> > played on an acting minion controlled by another methuselah?
>
> No. You may only play action modifiers when you control the acting
> minion.
>
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulings.html
> # Action Modifiers that can be played by minions other than the acting
> minion (Hidden Lurker, Mask of a Thousand Faces, superior Cloak the
> Gathering) can only be played by the controller of the acting minion.
> [LSJ 19990425]
>
> > (5) Finally, needing a clarification on effects in the pre-range step.
> > Oops I mean, the Only Usable Before Range Is Determined Pseudo-Step.
> > This happened in a game and we weren't sure what would happen.
> > Al-Muntaquim is blocked by Saulot and plays Dawn Operation, so all
> > damage in combat is aggravated. Al-Muntaquim plays Outside the
> > Hourglass (Pre-range: Inflict 2 damage). Saulot's controller doesn't
> > have damage prevention on hand, but plays Weather Control before
> > resolving the 2 agg effect which would send him to torpor. Is ordering
> > pre-range effects like this allowed?
>
> No. Outside the Hourglass resolves when it in played. Saulot takes 2
> aggravated damage and goes to torpor without a chance to play other
> cards (except to prevent the damage or to cancel OtH).

Correct.

Stone

Jul 21, 2010, 2:34:58 AM7/21/10

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
d395b682-9603-4a70...@e14g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

> > (5) Finally, needing a clarification on effects in the pre-range step.
> > Oops I mean, the Only Usable Before Range Is Determined Pseudo-Step.
> > This happened in a game and we weren't sure what would happen.
> > Al-Muntaquim is blocked by Saulot and plays Dawn Operation, so all
> > damage in combat is aggravated. Al-Muntaquim plays Outside the
> > Hourglass (Pre-range: Inflict 2 damage). Saulot's controller doesn't
> > have damage prevention on hand, but plays Weather Control before
> > resolving the 2 agg effect which would send him to torpor. Is ordering
> > pre-range effects like this allowed?
>
> No. Outside the Hourglass resolves when it in played. Saulot takes 2
> aggravated damage and goes to torpor without a chance to play other
> cards (except to prevent the damage or to cancel OtH).

> Correct.

The RTR 20041202 indicates damage resolution doesn't preclude other effects
(http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/vtes-rules/messages/143?threaded=1&m=e&tidx=1).
During the damage prevention step of a regular strike, you can use a Barren,
play Wolf Claws even though it won't affect the current resolution step etc.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/6646c1550e48a7ae
from 2007 confirms you can play Aura Reading after Weather Control's damage
is applied, as per the 2004 RTR.

So, is there a reversal on the linked rulings, or is Saulot allowed to play
Weather Control ?
More generally, once OtH damage is applied, are you allowed to play "only
usable before range" cards during the damage prevention step, like Aura
Reading, or even Thoughts Betrayed or Torn Signpost, for the purpose of
cycling and/or fishing for prevention cards ?

Stone

LSJ

Jul 21, 2010, 9:40:17 AM7/21/10
On Jul 21, 2:34 am, "Stone" <mc_judgest...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> "LSJ" <vtes...@white-wolf.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> d395b682-9603-4a70-b73f-17a6ed2b9...@e14g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

> > > (5) Finally, needing a clarification on effects in the pre-range step.
> > > Oops I mean, the Only Usable Before Range Is Determined Pseudo-Step.
> > > This happened in a game and we weren't sure what would happen.
> > > Al-Muntaquim is blocked by Saulot and plays Dawn Operation, so all
> > > damage in combat is aggravated. Al-Muntaquim plays Outside the
> > > Hourglass (Pre-range: Inflict 2 damage). Saulot's controller doesn't
> > > have damage prevention on hand, but plays Weather Control before
> > > resolving the 2 agg effect which would send him to torpor. Is ordering
> > > pre-range effects like this allowed?
>
> > No. Outside the Hourglass resolves when it in played. Saulot takes 2
> > aggravated damage and goes to torpor without a chance to play other
> > cards (except to prevent the damage or to cancel OtH).
> > Correct.
>
> The RTR 20041202 indicates damage resolution doesn't preclude other effects
> (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/vtes-rules/messages/143?threaded=...).

> During the damage prevention step of a regular strike, you can use a Barren,
> play Wolf Claws even though it won't affect the current resolution step etc.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/6646...

> from 2007 confirms you can play Aura Reading after Weather Control's damage
> is applied, as per the 2004 RTR.
>
> So, is there a reversal on the linked rulings, or is Saulot allowed to play
> Weather Control ?

The latter.