Dark Influences vs. Target: xyz

stanles

Jan 12, 2010, 7:41:32 AM1/12/10
With respect to Target Vitals for instance, are the two cards which
are being "discarded" to cancel the card considered "played", and
therefore themselves be cancelled if there is a Dark Influences in
play?

cheers
shawn

Dark Influences [KoT:U]
Cardtype: Master
Cost: 2 pool
Master: out-of-turn.
Cancel a minion card as it is played. No cost is paid. That card
cannot be played again for the remainder of the turn. Put this card in
play. The next card played that would cancel another Methuselah's
minion card as it is played is canceled (no cost) and this card is
burned instead.

Target Vitals [LotN:U]
Cardtype: Combat
Aim. Play when choosing a strike.
If any damage from this strike is successfully inflicted on the
opposing minion, he or she takes an additional 2 damage from this
strike, and he or she cannot press this round. The opposing minion may
discard two combat cards [COMBAT] to cancel this card. A minion may
play only one aim each strike.

LSJ

Jan 12, 2010, 8:04:01 AM1/12/10
On Jan 12, 7:41 am, stanles <ozs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With respect to Target Vitals for instance, are the two cards which
> are being "discarded" to cancel the card considered "played", and
> therefore themselves be cancelled if there is a Dark Influences in
> play?

No.

wedge

Jan 12, 2010, 12:21:12 PM1/12/10
> > play only one aim each strike.- Hide quoted text -

If I choose to play DI "instead" of discarding 2 combat cards, only to
have my DI suddened, may I still discard 2 combat cards to cancell
target vitals?

Izaak

Jan 12, 2010, 4:04:05 PM1/12/10
> If I choose to play DI "instead" of discarding 2 combat cards, only to
> have my DI suddened, may I still discard 2 combat cards to cancell
> target vitals?

Why wouldn't you? You can't DI instead of discarding two cards.

You either DI it, in which case the option of discarding two cards doesnt
become available or you don't DI it (or it gets suddened).

wedge

Jan 12, 2010, 5:36:59 PM1/12/10

Right, for some reason, I thought the timing (cancel) was the same for
both cards, not that that would make a difference.

I guess.

Does that mean the 'cancel' on Target Vitals is not restricted to when
this card is played?

Thanks,

Matt

echia...@yahoo.com

Jan 12, 2010, 5:55:26 PM1/12/10
On Jan 12, 4:36 pm, wedge <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Right, for some reason, I thought the timing (cancel) was the same for
> both cards, not that that would make a difference.
>
> I guess.
>
> Does that mean the 'cancel' on Target Vitals is not restricted to when
> this card is played?

You're still in the "as played" phase where you can cancel things.
Similarly, if Player A tries to DI a Freak Drive and it gets Suddenly
Reversed, Player B can still play a DI to cancel that Freak Drive. I
don't see why it would be different with Target Vitals (so if your DI
gets cancelled, you should still be able to discard 2 combat cards).

Message has been deleted

wedge

Jan 12, 2010, 6:58:10 PM1/12/10
On Jan 12, 2:55 pm, "echiang...@yahoo.com" <echiang...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

What happens if DI is not canceled,

Can you choose to discard 2 combat cards to cancel since it is the
same window?

Or must DI's effect be resolved first.

Minion B plays infernal pursuit(CEL) and unbelievable as it is does
not
draw into any combat cards.

Minion A plays Target Vitals

Minion B's controller plays DI the cards xe replaces with what are or
would be 2 concealed
weapons.

Xe believes if able to replace for discarding too Target Vitals
minion A is going to torpor.

But, how would it happen based on timing?

I believe...

A) Target Vitals is played
... do not replace
... ask for cancels

B) DI is played
...do not replace
...ask for cancels
...all pass
...draw 2 cards
... discard to hand size
B) Discard two combat cards to cancel T:V
... draw 4 cards
... discard to hand size

A)
...Phasing player chooses whither or not DI fizzles
...replace Target Vitals

Resolve strikes
etc...

wedge

Jan 12, 2010, 7:14:46 PM1/12/10

Minion B declares strike

etc...

YY

Jan 12, 2010, 8:56:40 PM1/12/10

Moot. V:tES does not have a true 'on the stack' timing for cards
played. Once DI is played (and not canceled), TV is canceled as it is
played (i.e. card text is canceled and thus non-existent), so there is
no available option to discard combat cards to cancel TV (since the
text that allows that has been canceled too).

- YY