Escaped Mental Patient and S:CE

Dhar...@yahoo.com

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
If the Patient tries to strike for +1 agg and the opposing minion
does a S:CE, is it still burned? I would tend to think it would
be...

Noal

--
"DISCUSSION, n. A method of confirming others in their errors."
-Ambrose Bierce.

LSJ

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
to vte...@oracle.wizards.com
Dhar...@yahoo.com wrote:
> If the Patient tries to strike for +1 agg and the opposing minion
> does a S:CE, is it still burned? I would tend to think it would
> be...

By parallels with the wording of Dragon's Breath Rounds and White
Phosphorous Grenade, I'd have to say "no". He's only burned at the
end of combat if the strike for +1 hand damage actually resolves.

(The card text says "burn him if he does so", and "does so" is "strike
for +1 aggravated hand damage", so if the strike doesn't happen, he doesn't
get burned)

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com) VTES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.
Links to revised rulebook, rulings, errata, and DCI (tournament) rules:

Dhar...@yahoo.com

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
vte...@wizards.com (LSJ) wrote:
> Dhar...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > If the Patient tries to strike for +1 agg and the opposing minion
> > does a S:CE, is it still burned? I would tend to think it would
> > be...
>
> By parallels with the wording of Dragon's Breath Rounds and White
> Phosphorous Grenade, I'd have to say "no". He's only burned at the
> end of combat if the strike for +1 hand damage actually resolves.

Hrm. Interesting. What about dodges?

> (The card text says "burn him if he does so", and "does so" is "strike
> for +1 aggravated hand damage", so if the strike doesn't happen, he doesn't
> get burned)

Noal

--
"DISCUSSION, n. A method of confirming others in their errors."
-Ambrose Bierce.

James Coupe

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
In article <749p0m$1jo$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Dhar...@yahoo.com writes

>vte...@wizards.com (LSJ) wrote:
>> Dhar...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> > If the Patient tries to strike for +1 agg and the opposing minion
>> > does a S:CE, is it still burned? I would tend to think it would
>> > be...
>>
>> By parallels with the wording of Dragon's Breath Rounds and White
>> Phosphorous Grenade, I'd have to say "no". He's only burned at the
>> end of combat if the strike for +1 hand damage actually resolves.
>
>Hrm. Interesting. What about dodges?

The effects may be cancelled on myself, but he still struck for +1 aggro
damage, imho.

--
James Coupe (Prince of Mercia, England)

Vampire: Elder Kindred Network
http://madnessnetwork.hexagon.net

Lupus Australis

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
On Fri, 4 Dec 1998 Dhar...@yahoo.com wrote:

> vte...@wizards.com (LSJ) wrote:
> > Dhar...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > If the Patient tries to strike for +1 agg and the opposing minion
> > > does a S:CE, is it still burned? I would tend to think it would
> > > be...
> >
> > By parallels with the wording of Dragon's Breath Rounds and White
> > Phosphorous Grenade, I'd have to say "no". He's only burned at the
> > end of combat if the strike for +1 hand damage actually resolves.
>
> Hrm. Interesting. What about dodges?

I would say that, in the case of a dodge, the strike *does* resolve.
However, its effects are cancelled with respect to the opposing minion and
his equipment.

> > (The card text says "burn him if he does so", and "does so" is "strike
> > for +1 aggravated hand damage", so if the strike doesn't happen, he doesn't
> > get burned)

Lupus Australis
____ ____
\ \----/ /
|()__()|
__\ __ /__
/ __\()/__ \
|/ \==/ \|
| || |

LSJ

Dec 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/7/98
James Coupe wrote:

> In article <749p0m$1jo$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Dhar...@yahoo.com writes
> >vte...@wizards.com (LSJ) wrote:
> >>
> >> By parallels with the wording of Dragon's Breath Rounds and White
> >> Phosphorous Grenade, I'd have to say "no". He's only burned at the
> >> end of combat if the strike for +1 hand damage actually resolves.
> >
> >Hrm. Interesting. What about dodges?
>
> The effects may be cancelled on myself, but he still struck for +1 aggro
> damage, imho.

Correct. The strike still resolved, so he's burned.
Similar cases exist for Dragon's Breath Rounds and Grenades.