[LSJ] Superior Form of Mist timing question

-< Johann Lionheart >-

Dec 4, 2003, 7:09:55 PM12/4/03
Is there a specific time that you must play FoM (ie on the first round
of combat)? Does this mean that you could potentially beat the crap
out of the blocking minion, press, then FoM to continue?

Also, can you play superior FoM after someone has blocked you using
Force of Will and still have it continue as if unblocked? Card text
for FoW states after combat or action resolves... is this a whichever
happens first situation?

Thanks,
-JZ
-< Johann Lionheart >-
http://www.johannsdomain.com

Colin McGuigan

Dec 4, 2003, 8:33:34 PM12/4/03
-< Johann Lionheart >- wrote:
> Is there a specific time that you must play FoM (ie on the first round
> of combat)?

Anytime you play a strike. Note you can only FoM once per action, though.

> Does this mean that you could potentially beat the crap
> out of the blocking minion, press, then FoM to continue?

Yes.

(Although there's a '98 LSJ ruling that says it can't continue if you
Amaranth at the end of combat. So, maybe not always.)

> Also, can you play superior FoM after someone has blocked you using
> Force of Will and still have it continue as if unblocked?

Yes.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22form+%2Bof+mist%22+%22force+%2Bof+will%22+author:LSJ&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&scoring=d&selm=3BFCDB58.2A740BFD%40white-wolf.com&rnum=3

--Colin McGuigan

salem

Dec 4, 2003, 10:03:51 PM12/4/03
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:33:34 -0600, Colin McGuigan
<maguaSP...@speakeasy.net> scrawled:

>-< Johann Lionheart >- wrote:
>> Is there a specific time that you must play FoM (ie on the first round
>> of combat)?
>
>Anytime you play a strike. Note you can only FoM once per action, though.

FoM at SUPERIOR, once per action. you can dodge all you want.

>> Does this mean that you could potentially beat the crap
>> out of the blocking minion, press, then FoM to continue?
>
>Yes.

but if they go to torpor while beating the crap out of them, you'll
not get to another choose strike phase to play a FoM at superior.

>(Although there's a '98 LSJ ruling that says it can't continue if you
>Amaranth at the end of combat. So, maybe not always.)

not sure that you even can amaranth anymore after a super FoM, since
Drawing out the beast is now pres-step damage at super...can anyone
else think of a way to do it?

>> Also, can you play superior FoM after someone has blocked you using
>> Force of Will and still have it continue as if unblocked?
>
>Yes.
>
>http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22form+%2Bof+mist%22+%22force+%2Bof+will%22+author:LSJ&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&scoring=d&selm=3BFCDB58.2A740BFD%40white-wolf.com&rnum=3

indeed. :)

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm

Henrik Isaksson

Dec 5, 2003, 5:41:53 AM12/5/03
"salem" <salem_ch...@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet

> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:33:34 -0600, Colin McGuigan
> <maguaSP...@speakeasy.net> scrawled:
>
> >-< Johann Lionheart >- wrote:
> >> Is there a specific time that you must play FoM (ie on the first round
> >> of combat)?
> >
> >Anytime you play a strike. Note you can only FoM once per action, though.
>
> FoM at SUPERIOR, once per action. you can dodge all you want.
>
> >> Does this mean that you could potentially beat the crap
> >> out of the blocking minion, press, then FoM to continue?
> >
> >Yes.
>
> but if they go to torpor while beating the crap out of them, you'll
> not get to another choose strike phase to play a FoM at superior.
>
> >(Although there's a '98 LSJ ruling that says it can't continue if you
> >Amaranth at the end of combat. So, maybe not always.)
>
> not sure that you even can amaranth anymore after a super FoM, since
> Drawing out the beast is now pres-step damage at super...can anyone
> else think of a way to do it?

Maxwell ambushes Arika, Gideon blocks, both strikes for one, maxwell blurs, strikes for one and
finally form of mists... At end of combat, taste, disarm, decapitate/amaranth. Enters combat with
Arika, striks for one, blurs, strike for one, earth meld followed by taste, disarm amaranth. After
that he plays a bum's rush and does it again... =)

/henrik isaksson

Oortje4ever

Dec 5, 2003, 8:05:14 AM12/5/03
"-< Johann Lionheart >-" <Johann@/nospam/johannsdomain.com> wrote in message news:<19ivsvo2enrg65p0t...@4ax.com>...

> Is there a specific time that you must play FoM (ie on the first round
> of combat)? Does this mean that you could potentially beat the crap
> out of the blocking minion, press, then FoM to continue?

Yes.

> Also, can you play superior FoM after someone has blocked you using
> Force of Will and still have it continue as if unblocked? Card text
> for FoW states after combat or action resolves... is this a whichever
> happens first situation?

################
Force of Will [DS:C2, FN:PR2, Anarchs:PAG/PG2]
Cardtype: Action
Cost: 1 blood

Only usable by a tapped vampire.
[for] (D) Bleed with +1 bleed. This vampire takes 2 points of
aggravated damage (damage not preventable) even if the action is
blocked. Damage occurs after the action or combat is resolved.
[FOR] As above, but with +2 bleed, and the acting vampire takes only 1
point of aggravated damage (damage not preventable).
################

If FOM say continue as if unblocked then FOW does not pull your vamp
to torpor yet. You must take the 2 points of A.damage after the action
or after combat, so take it at the and of the action!!

Oortje

Colin McGuigan

Dec 5, 2003, 9:23:59 AM12/5/03
salem wrote:
> FoM at SUPERIOR, once per action. you can dodge all you want.

Mea culpa.

> not sure that you even can amaranth anymore after a super FoM, since
> Drawing out the beast is now pres-step damage at super...can anyone
> else think of a way to do it?

Disarm. Pulled Fangs, if you'd reduced your opponent to 0 blood first.

--Colin McGuigan

salem

Dec 5, 2003, 9:18:11 PM12/5/03
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:23:59 -0600, Colin McGuigan
<maguaSP...@speakeasy.net> scrawled:

>salem wrote:

of course. stupid me.
(the example shown by the other poster obviously being why amaranth
ends the FoM.....hmm...does decapitate end the FoM?)

Dr. Enrique Monta?o

Dec 5, 2003, 10:51:50 PM12/5/03
> > >(Although there's a '98 LSJ ruling that says it can't continue if you
> > >Amaranth at the end of combat. So, maybe not always.)
> >
> > not sure that you even can amaranth anymore after a super FoM, since
> > Drawing out the beast is now pres-step damage at super...can anyone
> > else think of a way to do it?
>
> Maxwell ambushes Arika, Gideon blocks, both strikes for one, maxwell blurs, strikes for one and
> finally form of mists... At end of combat, taste, disarm, decapitate/amaranth. Enters combat with
> Arika, striks for one, blurs, strike for one, earth meld followed by taste, disarm amaranth. After
> that he plays a bum's rush and does it again... =)

LSJ,
Is this correct?
Can you play earth meld and then disarm?

Enrique

LSJ

Dec 6, 2003, 8:44:07 AM12/6/03
salem wrote:
> does decapitate end the FoM?

No.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

LSJ

Dec 6, 2003, 8:44:58 AM12/6/03
Dr. Enrique Monta?o wrote:
> Can you play earth meld and then disarm?

If you meet the requirements for playing Disarm then you can play Disarm at
the end of a round.

Colin McGuigan

Dec 6, 2003, 11:45:15 AM12/6/03
LSJ wrote:
> salem wrote:
>
>> does decapitate end the FoM?
>

> No.

Why does Amaranth end FoM, and Decapitate not?

--Colin McGuigan

LSJ

Dec 7, 2003, 8:29:21 AM12/7/03
Colin McGuigan wrote:
> Why does Amaranth end FoM, and Decapitate not?

Diablerie. See the cited ruling on the Form of Mist rulings.
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulings.html

Henrik Isaksson

Dec 7, 2003, 10:16:31 AM12/7/03
"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> skrev i meddelandet news:3FD32B31...@white-wolf.com...

> Colin McGuigan wrote:
> > Why does Amaranth end FoM, and Decapitate not?
>
> Diablerie. See the cited ruling on the Form of Mist rulings.
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulings.html

Curious ruling IMO... Care to motivate it? I don't see why diablerie should interrupt FoM, as it's
not a combat or anything. See no difference between decapitate and amaranth...

/henrik isaksson

cited article:
> > Michael Beer (Mi...@leila.ping.de) wrote:
> > : A Stanislava from hell deck:
> > : Bleed (with Dominate), be blocked, play
> > : Dawn Op + Drawing out the Beast + Form of Mist
> > : then eat your opponent for snack (with Amaranth), allow it yourself with Absolution of the
Diabolist,
> > : and get on with Business "as if unblocked". *mjam*
>
> Is this combination of cards legal?

Yes. But the action will not continue as if unblocked.

Like a new combat, the process of diablerie sufficiently
disrupts the "continue action" effect even though it doesn't
explicitly block the action's continuance. Precedence: the
ruling on Psyche and Form of Mist:

http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=102367942

I'll put this on the RT review list, just to make sure.

LSJ

Dec 7, 2003, 3:16:30 PM12/7/03
Henrik Isaksson wrote:
> "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> skrev i meddelandet news:3FD32B31...@white-wolf.com...
>
>>Colin McGuigan wrote:
>>
>>>Why does Amaranth end FoM, and Decapitate not?
>>
>>Diablerie. See the cited ruling on the Form of Mist rulings.
>>http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulings.html
>>

> Curious ruling IMO... Care to motivate it? I don't see why diablerie should interrupt FoM, as it's

The motivation is also given in the cited article.

> not a combat or anything. See no difference between decapitate and amaranth...

Parallel: "I don't see why combat should disrupt FoM, as it's not a
diablerie or anything".

Difference between decapitate and amaranth: blood hunt.

Orpheus

Dec 7, 2003, 8:54:18 AM12/7/03
Does Psyche interrupt superior FoM ?

How does one determine if the +1 stealth is "needed" ? For example, what
happens if the last minion got tapped by the combat involving FoM, and
there's no one else able or desiring to block the action : the stealth isn't
"needed", so the action can't continue at +1 stealth ??

--------

Orpheus

LSJ

Dec 11, 2003, 8:20:46 AM12/11/03
Orpheus wrote:
> Does Psyche interrupt superior FoM ?

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulings.html

> How does one determine if the +1 stealth is "needed" ? For example, what

Use the following test:

Is there currently a blocking minion whose current intercept is equal to
or greater than the acting minion's current stealth?

> happens if the last minion got tapped by the combat involving FoM, and
> there's no one else able or desiring to block the action : the stealth isn't
> "needed", so the action can't continue at +1 stealth ??

It is, so it can be.

Reyda

Dec 11, 2003, 10:19:08 AM12/11/03

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

> Orpheus wrote:
> > Does Psyche interrupt superior FoM ?
>
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulings.html
>
> > How does one determine if the +1 stealth is "needed" ? For example, what
>
> Use the following test:
>
> Is there currently a blocking minion whose current intercept is equal to
> or greater than the acting minion's current stealth?

Even with the new card text, this ruling is still effective ?
Isn't it very cornercase, somewhat counterintuitive and counterbalanced by
From of mist 1 blood cost now ?
Shouldn't we drop it for obsolescence, if not for clarity of the rules by
now ?

example :
Makwell calls his built in action to become prince of chicago.
vampy with raptor blocks. Maxwell cannot play Mask empathy superior then
form of mist superior to continue -although it seems perfectly legal and not
really overpowered ?

Reyda

Dec 11, 2003, 10:19:08 AM12/11/03

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
> Orpheus wrote:
> > Does Psyche interrupt superior FoM ?
>
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulings.html
>
> > How does one determine if the +1 stealth is "needed" ? For example, what
>
> Use the following test:
>
> Is there currently a blocking minion whose current intercept is equal to
> or greater than the acting minion's current stealth?

Even with the new card text, this ruling is still effective ?

LSJ

Dec 11, 2003, 2:34:52 PM12/11/03
Reyda wrote:
> "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
>>Orpheus wrote:
>>>How does one determine if the +1 stealth is "needed" ?
>>
>>Use the following test:
>>Is there currently a blocking minion whose current intercept is equal to
>>or greater than the acting minion's current stealth?
>
> Shouldn't we drop it for obsolescence, if not for clarity of the rules by
> now ?

It is not obsolete. The restriction against adding stealth when stealth is not
needed is still part of the core rules of the game. [6.2.2.2]