[LSJ] White Nights Massacre

Kushiel

Dec 21, 2008, 11:06:42 PM12/21/08
Must I have an untapped ready werewolf ally in play to use the second
clause on WNM? The card text is ambiguous as to whether or not this is
a "tap to..." effect, or a "tap and..." effect.

White Nights Massacre
Transient.
During your next discard phase, you must burn this card, and you may
either burn a vampire in torpor or, by tapping a ready werewolf ally
you control or discarding a White Nights Massacre from your hand, burn
all vampires in torpor.

John Eno

Dec 22, 2008, 12:05:17 AM12/22/08

Yes. It says "by tapping", which means that the effect is only going
to happen if you tap it. Otherwise it would have said something like
"tap a ready werewolf ally you control ......, butn all vampires in
torpor".

--> J
grail_pbem "at" hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/grail_j

Blooded Sand

Dec 22, 2008, 3:52:30 AM12/22/08

/nitpick

Well if you have a second WNM in your hand, you can discard that
INSTEAD of tapping a ready werewolf.......

LSJ

Dec 22, 2008, 6:16:13 AM12/22/08
J wrote:
> On Dec 22, 3:06 pm, Kushiel <invisibleking...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Must I have an untapped ready werewolf ally in play to use the second
>> clause on WNM? The card text is ambiguous as to whether or not this is
>> a "tap to..." effect, or a "tap and..." effect.
>>
>> White Nights Massacre
>> Transient.
>> During your next discard phase, you must burn this card, and you may
>> either burn a vampire in torpor or, by tapping a ready werewolf ally
>> you control or discarding a White Nights Massacre from your hand, burn
>> all vampires in torpor.
>
> Yes. It says "by tapping", which means that the effect is only going
> to happen if you tap it. Otherwise it would have said something like
> "tap a ready werewolf ally you control ......, butn all vampires in
> torpor".

Correct.

Dec 22, 2008, 7:21:04 AM12/22/08

/nitpick, i snipped that bit out as it wasn't pertinent to the
discussion. hence the "ally you control ......, burn"

cnislev

Dec 22, 2008, 7:51:23 AM12/22/08

> > Yes. It says "by tapping", which means that the effect is only going
> > to happen if you tap it.  Otherwise it would have said something like
> > "tap a ready werewolf ally you control ......, butn all vampires in
> > torpor".
>
> Correct

I am confused then. I was told that I can use Jar the Soul on a tapped
minion, as in you can play a card to tap another minion, even if this
minion was already tapped.

Jar the Soul

+1 stealth action.

(D) Tap any ready minion.

(D) As above, and that minion burns 1 blood.

LSJ

Dec 22, 2008, 7:59:33 AM12/22/08
cnislev wrote:
> I am confused then. I was told that I can use Jar the Soul on a tapped
> minion, as in you can play a card to tap another minion, even if this
> minion was already tapped.

You may apply a "tap that" effect to something already tapped, yes.

Tapping an already-tapped thing will not suffice to activate a "tap this thing
to do magic" effect (nor the equivalent "may do magic by tapping this thing"
effect).

Similarly, you can apply a burn blood effect to an empty vampire.
An empty vampire cannot apply such an effect to himself to activate an effect
with a blood cost (or a "burn a blood to do magic" effect and so on).